Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's that Lyle Mays Synth??

Magpel

A day or two ago, I would have been asking this question with a purpose. Today it's just out of curiosity, and to have the pleasure of hearing the synth experts respond.

I'm thinking of a synth sound that I, at least, associate with Lyle Mays from the Pat Metheny Group. It's that round, soft, voice-oooh-like tone that he used to play monophonic melodies with, circa American Garage, which is to say late 70s. It's also an ubiquitous synth tone in nature documentaries (as is so much of Metheny's music, come to think of it).

Two days ago, I thought I wanted just such a sound in some music I'm doing for a promotional video, but the direction has changed and Mr. Mays' services are no longer required. Any way, I always thought the sound was a perfect complement to Metheny's own ultra-soft tone, but, taken together like sugar coating on a sugar pill, one can understand why many people think Metheny's music is a bit namby-pamby, "effeminate" maybe, or at least pillow soft. Of course those people have probably never heard "Zero Tolerance for Silence" or any of Metheny's edgier stuff, or even his really great jazz trio records. Babble babble. What's that synth?

John

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When I saw them in concert a number of years ago, he was using a Synclavier.

Rob

R. Guilford Butts

www.mp3.com/robsmusic

"Your talent is God's gift to you. What you do with it is your gift back to God"......Leo Buscaglia

It's definitely the Oberheim 4 voice. The Synclavier came later and possible had a sample of that signature synth patch.

I know there was a 1U Roland module in which there was a sample of that Oberheim sound. Maybe it's also in the JV1010/1080/2080 or VX series.

On the Secret Story tour, Lyle used a Synclavier, Kurzweil K2000, his Oberheim and a Yamaha Grand Piano. The last tour I saw (We Live Here), I only saw a K2500 and the Grand Piano.

-Mike Martin

Casio

Mike Martin Photography Instagram Facebook

The Big Picture Photography Forum on Music Player Network

The opinions I post here are my own and do not represent the company I work for.

I'm pretty sure it's an Oberheim Four- or Eigh-Voice, a square wave with a slight pulse offset, or maybe two detuned squares. An important component of the sound is its softly blowed attack, with a bit of pitch modulation from the envelope. I also believe he used a slight delay on it.

Whatever Lyle's using these days, it's a far cry from when I saw the PMG for the first time in early '80s. Lyle's rig included a Yamaha YC-45 organ for tunes from American Garage, a mic'd autoharp for "San Lorenzo", and his Hamburg Steinway.

He's a brilliant musician deserving far great credit and recognition. His relationship to Metheny reminds me of Strayhorn to Ellington. Ellington's name was on the group, played the "front" man, good looking, held the body of composition credits. Without Strayhorn, however, we don't get "Lush Life" and "Take the A Train". Metheny's music would be far different without in the contribution of Lyle Mays.

Its definitely a Oberheim 4 or 8, I saw a gig from 82 where he had a Synclavier but the sound you're referring to had him playing the old SEM Oberheims..

The other weird thing is that many people think Pat Mentheny gets his trademark solo sound from the Synclavier, but its actually an old Roland GR-300 guitar synth.

peace

Neil

I was gonna say Synclavier, but everyone beat me...

Any relation to the spectacular Moe Loughran, Neil?

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

No need to search, RUN, don't walk:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/89/moeloughran.html

She is just flat AMAZING....

------------------

Cheers!

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

oh you mean moe..

yeah shes my sister..

forgot all about her..

Just kiddin'

nice sound and songs I think.

peace

Neil (UK)

not really moes brother

Originally posted by Llarion:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/89/moeloughran.html

She is just flat AMAZING....

Dowloaded 'tulip tree'.. very cool. I like it. I'll check some of the other stuff when I get a chance.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived