Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Famous people who are also musicians

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
[quote]Originally posted by Demonic DJDM: [b]I'm saying that if you are letting someone print your work for you, you are not only missing out on the most powerful part of the process, you are missing out on the real craft of photography. [/b][/quote]What you're saying is true. Much can be done in the darkroom to enhance a photograph. Or you can scan it into photoshop and run it through any of a zillion processes. You can make a model's skin turn green. You can make the moon red and carve you initials into it. And ALL of this is photography. However, this is sort of a Pet Sounds approach to photography. Some photographers prefer to let the light and the composition determine what the image looks like rather than distort the image with a lot of post processing. It's more of a Bruce Springsteen approach - write a great song, have a great performance, and capture it as purely and cleanly as possible. Don't mess it up with a bunch of studio tricks. Two approaches. Neither is superior. It's just a matter of taste. My photos are DONE by the time that the printer gets them. As long as he prints the colors accurately, that's all that I require. I'd rather have my creative fun out on a mountain than in a smelly lab.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

OK, Drunken Master, you obviously have a lot more passion about your photography than I do about mine. Hell, I haven't even processed my own film since I was 13. So, I'll concede to you on this debate, just so long as we can still be buddies. Okely-dokely? :thu: ~~~ Oh. Uh... damn... ummm, Mixerman is a keyboard player. Does [i]that[/i] count?

Jeff Bridges is pretty serious about his music, and not a bad singer/songwriter. Edward Norton plays. Nick Nolte plays guitar, as does his separated-at-birth twin, Gary Busey. Hell, you can't go to a club in L.A. without running into some actor's band these days, it seems. And then there are the writers; Amy Tan, Dave Barry, and Stephen King had a band that used to play booksellers conventions and the like. T.C. Boyle plays saxophone (though I haven't talked with Tom in a while and don't know how much he's kept it up). Face it, folks, musicians are a dime a dozen. George

Uh, DJ, all they have to do is match the color of my transparency. I can easily check the two on a lightbox. And while you're at it, Mr. Engineer, make sure my P-bass sounds like a P-bass, not a Rick.

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b]Uh, DJ, all they have to do is match the color of my transparency. I can easily check the two on a lightbox. And while you're at it, Mr. Engineer, make sure my P-bass sounds like a P-bass, not a Rick.[/b][/quote]Fine... what would I know about it. Oh and I recommend against the concept of going to the different labs. You don't really want to know and that is an $$ process. Best of luck, - DJDM

[quote]Originally posted by Demonic DJDM: [b]Fine... what would I know about it. Oh and I recommend against the concept of going to the different labs. You don't really want to know and that is an $$ process. Best of luck, - DJDM[/b][/quote]And why is it that you suppose that I HAVEN'T DONE THIS, you sniveling little twerp? Believe it or not, there are quite a number of fine photo labs in New York City, and in addition to these, I sometimes send my work out to out-of-state labs. You really need to get over your "I know best about everything" attitude. It's starting to wear a bit thin.

[quote]Originally posted by Dan South: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Demonic DJDM: [b]Fine... what would I know about it. Oh and I recommend against the concept of going to the different labs. You don't really want to know and that is an $$ process. Best of luck, - DJDM[/b][/quote]And why is it that you suppose that I HAVEN'T DONE THIS, you sniveling little twerp? Believe it or not, there are quite a number of fine photo labs in New York City, and in addition to these, I sometimes send my work out to out-of-state labs. You really need to get over your "I know best about everything" attitude. It's starting to wear a bit thin.[/b][/quote]Pardon me for being passionate about something that I did proffessionally for a number of years. But the name calling... Dan that's not necissary. I'm out.

Steve Martin plays the banjo. Bill Clinton plays the saxophone. Monica Lewinsky plays the... sorry.

Jimmy Stewart played piano; As did Nat "king" Cole; Bob Crane and Sammy Davis Jr. played drums. Fred MacMurray played saxophone; Groucho Marx played guitar, but yeah. Chico was amazing! And I heard that it WAS Martin Milner doing his own guitar work in "The Sweet Smell of Success." And a good comprimise many photographers I know use is to have a lab proccess the negatives, while they handle their own prints. Color OR black and white. Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

[quote]Originally posted by GeorgeVW: [b]Jeff Bridges is pretty serious about his music, and not a bad singer/songwriter. Edward Norton plays. Nick Nolte plays guitar, as does his separated-at-birth twin, Gary Busey. Hell, you can't go to a club in L.A. without running into some actor's band these days, it seems. And then there are the writers; Amy Tan, Dave Barry, and Stephen King had a band that used to play booksellers conventions and the like. T.C. Boyle plays saxophone (though I haven't talked with Tom in a while and don't know how much he's kept it up). Face it, folks, musicians are a dime a dozen. George[/b][/quote]speaking of Jeff Bridges-did I not hear that he is the co-owner of a record label? can`t remember the other guy...

Yeah, I've heard a tape of Dave Barry and Stephen King's band. They're actually not as bad as Barry would have everyone believe. They're called "The Rock Bottom Remainders"...and they've had some more famous musicians sit in with them from time to time...including the likes of Roger McGuinn. Let's see...the late Republican Lee Atwater was a guitar player. I've got a weird newspaper picture somewhere of him and George Bush Sr. jamming...Bush has a guitar strapped on that said "The Prez" on it. Just a plain bizarre photo. Don't know if Bush was really playing it or not though. Some astronauts had a band that played in the Cocoa Beach area. Their lead player was shuttle pilot Hoot Gibson, who, of course, played a Gibson. I remember way back in the late seventies, some friends of mine had a music store. The Harlem Globetrotters were in town. Meadowlark Lemon was a bass player. He came into the store and was checking out basses. I think Bill Cosby plays something...not quite sure. I know he's really into the jazz thing, but I'm not quite sure what instrument he plays. The late actor Bob Crane (Col. Hogan) was a drummer. I think Keanu Reeves tried to be a musician, but those who heard his band said for a guitarist, he was a pretty good actor.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

[quote]Originally posted by Count dracuBunny: [b]Going with the NBA connection again, apparently Wayman Tisdale is a good bass player (according to RM).[/b][/quote]Yeah he is. He has a couple of CD's out with another due in 2003. A little too smooth jazz for my tastes but he is good. Bill Cosby also plays drums.

RobT

Famous Musical Quotes: "I would rather play Chiquita Banana and have my swimming pool than play Bach and starve" - Xavier Cugat

The Roman Emporer Nero played the violin, well at least an early form of the violin, probably related to the Balkan Gusle... he was much more influential than most people realize. In fact his whole approach to music is the fundament of popular music today. -Bobro

[quote]Originally posted by Bobro: [b]The Roman Emporer Nero played the violin, well at least an early form of the violin, probably related to the Balkan Gusle... he was much more influential than most people realize. In fact his whole approach to music is the fundament of popular music today. -Bobro[/b][/quote]Especially obvious at Woodstock '99, while the bands played while the festival ground burned. :D
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Archived