Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Famous people who are also musicians

[quote]Originally posted by skip: [b]speaking of Jeff Bridges-did I not hear that he is the co-owner of a record label? can`t remember the other guy...[/b][/quote]I believe that Kenny Loggins is the other partner in that label. It's the Santa Barbara musico/actor thing. George

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I swear I once saw Chevy Chase Noodling away on an organ at the end of one of the "Saturday Night Live" broadcasts. And Jerry Springer plays guitar. I also read that Hulk Hogan was a bass player before getting into "'rasslin'" Whitefang
I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

I'm sure these have been covered, but... Martin Mull -- Guitar Chuck Barris -- Guitar Christopher Guest, Harry Shearer, Michael McKeon -- uh, you guess what they play. Adam Sandler sucks on guitar Bernie Williams Paul O'Neil plays drums poorly (the baseball player) Jack MacDowell (pitcher) has a death metal band Joseph Campbell was a jazz saxophonist (or maybe that's just myth...hehe...get it?) I think E.A. Poe played guitar James Joyce played a little piano Allen Ginsburgh played a squeeze box kind of thing and sang out of tune The terribly underappreciated American poet Weldon Kees was a jazz pianist and film composer, and on that note, here's a Weldon Kees poem, apropos as we're about to fire up the war machine: For My Daughter Looking into my daughter's eyes I read Beneath the innocence of morning flesh Concealed, hintings of death she does not heed. Coldest of winds have blown this hair, and mesh Of seaweed snarled these miniatures of hands; The night's slow poison, tolerant and bland, Has moved her blood. parched years that I have seen That may be hers appear; foul. lingering Death in certain war, the slim legs green. Or, fed on hate, she relishes the sting Of others' agony; perhaps the cruel Bride of a syphilitic or a fool. These speculations sour in the sun. I have no daughter. I desire none.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Keanu Reeves is the bass player for his band Dogstar-they show up in Japan once a year or so. I just remembered-I heard a CD by Dennis Green when I was back in Minneapolis over the summer-very `smooth jazz` but not bad at all, The guy can definitely play (drums that is)

It says [url=http://us.imdb.com/Name?Burghoff,%20Gary]here[/url] that Radar from M*A*S*H was a jazz drummer!
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by Magpel: [b] Bernie Williams Paul O'Neil plays drums poorly (the baseball player) Jack MacDowell (pitcher) has a death metal band [/b][/quote]Bernie is a very good classical guitarist, isn't he? Pitcher Barry Zito plays guitar. There's a soundbite on the Jim Rome Show of Zito butchering a Sublime tune. Rome also has bumper music from pitcher Jose Lima's salsa band. Buffalo Bills WR Eric Moulds has a Pro Tools rig in his house, but I don't know what he plays, if anything. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of pro athletes had high-end home studios.

Yeah, Mark, Bernie Williams is a technically proficient classical guitarist. I've seen him play thngs that were pretty impressive, but in the last few years, he's been devoting his musical energy to electric guitar in blues and hybrid jazz styles. Let's just say he's got a ways to go in that genre. The story goes that he began classical training at a very young age in Puerto Rico and showed great promise. When it became clear that he had great promise as a baseball player as well, his guitar teacher told him that he must choose between the two. We know what choice he made. He has said that when he retires, he plans to devote himself fully to music. Should be interesting. I saw him jamming with someone, maybe Rueben Blades, and his chops were strictly of the bedroom variety, but what was impressive was his tone and control. His playing was very precise and clean, and his tone was good, even if he was only hammering out a cliched 9th chord funk rhythm.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

DJDM, Was going to respond to your Ansel Adams comments a few posts back, but decided to take a few days to think on it. I do agree with you that, as long as photography involves capturing light and then transmuting that light into some chosen final result, whether print or computer monitor, the _artistic_ result is the result of the whole process. Whether you want to be in total artistic control of that result from conception to result or not, is a different story. But yes, in a purist sense, you are absolutely right, framing and pushing the buttons is only a start; all depends on how much of the photofinishing process you want to master on your own, or how much of it -- like going to a good recording engineer -- you want to leave to someone else, after that point. Just had to finish the thought there, back to famous people who have instruments. :) rt

Archived