Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Kelly's Garden"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are attempting to compile a CD's worth of material submitted by members of this forum.

In order to do this, we have posted the entries for consideration and evaluation by all of the members of the forum, whether or not they have contributed a piece.

The entries can be found at this web site:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/261/the_keyboard_corner.html

Please go there, and evaluate the piece called "Kelly's Garden", submitted by Laurie Z. Please post your comments on that tune in this thread. This link will take you directly to this piece.

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very beautiful...you're a wonderful player.

If I can nitpick a little...(and I say this to everyone, some people disagree)...when you hit low octaves using a piano sound it tends to kill a lot of natural overtones in the overall sound of the chords and harmonies you play...I try to hit one low note at a time when playing pieces like this and found it helped my sound.

I'm being super-critical though, I had a hard time finding anything to criticise, it's a beautiful piece of music.

I'm speechless as well. Very emotional and beautiful playing.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Thanks so much, you guys! Very, very sweet comments.

Just a couple of background notes of interest for both "Kelly's" and the entire recording of "Roots, The Solo Piano Recording" -

My previous albums were done on my MIDI rigs and I hungered to go back to my piano "roots", hence the title. I only had the Disklavier (provided by Yamaha, who I was touring for at the time) and the studio (The Complex in WLA) for 5 evenings, including mic set up. Paul Grupp(who has brilliant credentials) was the engineer/co-producer, and since he's a perfectionist, it took him almost the entire first evening to set up the 7 (!) mics (as I recall) perfectly placed to record the piano in the best locations possible. There were absolutely no edits or overdubs on this album, and everything I recorded was direct to 4 digital masters simulataneously (2 DATS, Sonic Solutions, and the Disklavier's MIDI recorder). There's no reverb except the natural reverb from the room - it sounded so good, we didn't want to mess with it. We were going to go over to Capital and use the reverb chamber but, on playback, felt the recording didn't need it.

Since I do a lot of live improvisation in concert, I wanted to "save" something for the moment....and plus I seem to work well under pressure...SO I only went in with about 1/2 the material and spontaneously composed the rest, all in that 5 days (actually, evenings). Every song was composed and/or recorded in less than 5 takes, usually 1 or 2, since those are usually my best. Kelly's was one of the few that I went in with, but it became refined that night. You should hear me play it now - my technique's improved vastly since I've spent the entire last year playing almost every day due to my touring for Alesis and my other gigs.

A little side note - just as a coincidence, I picked Kelly's Garden to be the song that I debuted the DG8 to the wold with when Alesis had their media breakfast several NAMMs back.

And thanks for the comparison to Keith Jarrett - he's not an influence of mine really, but I've seen him in concert many years ago and he knocked me out!

:-)

Laurie Z.

http://www.lauriez.com

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

I'm on my wife's computer with fairly expensive headphones. Wow!! The Disklavier sounds wonderful. Exceptional playing. This must be on the CD. I must admit I've read articles about you & seen your CD's advertised but I've never listened to any of your material. I must go looking for more. . .

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Whoa... beautiful.

Laurie, did you tour with Al DiMeola a couple of years ago? I saw him and his band play a small club in San Diego, CA the Belly Up. I remember thinking the keyboard player was awesome... (I think you kinda have to be to keep up with Al), and she played a "warm-up" piece before the show... (if I'm remembering correctly), that was fantastic.

Well, thanks so much for sharing your piece with us. I'm always amazed at all the great talent that shows up on this site.

Whoa.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Ahhhhhhh.. I am uplifted... Such a joyous and sunny piece... Fluid and effortless technique, superlative feel. You're right about the reverb; anything extra would have ruined the natural dimension you found here. There's a teeny bit of compression artifact in the encoding that makes some of the mids pop out and clip a little in a couple of sections, but I'm sure that a Redbook master would not have this minor issue.

I so love low and middle voicings on chords, and I like the left hand treatment especially.

BEAUTIFUL work. Made me think that Tim Weisberg or Steve Kujala was gonna jump in with a flute solo. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Laurie,

Tell me a little bit about your experience with the DG8 if you don't mind? Which piano sounds and settings (Eq, etc...) do you prefer? Do you use any Q-cards etc.....Also do you use it for a lot of Solo Piano stuff??

I just got one and was wondering what little tricks a pro such as yourself (who has had a lot of experience with the instrument) could share with me.

And to stay on topic, Amazing Recording!!!!!

Fletch

Nothing to say really. I Just think of Tori Amos.

If anything, (and well I'm picky about even the best music http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif). A break from the flowing "waves" of piano-chord would be great. Sort of pausing the flow for a little bit of afterthought (that would be VERY Tori'ish), and then *WOOSH* away again.

Still, a great tune.

/d-kay

MmmmmMMm !! Piano !!

Laurie, EXCELLENT work. I loved it !

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Once again, thanks everyone for the wonderful comments. Just returned from a trip out of town (got some exciting plans for the next release) and I'll attempt to answer everyone...

BTW, I've had so much to say about so many of the topics that have been on the forum the last couple of months, but time has not allowed me to participate as I'd like. Will add my 2 cents to things as much as I can.... :-)

<

Well, thanks so much for sharing your piece with us. I'm always amazed at all the great talent that shows up on this site.>>

Guitplayer, nope, that weren't me. Would have been a cool gig though, yes? My pleasure...

<

I so love low and middle voicings on chords, and I like the left hand treatment especially.

BEAUTIFUL work. Made me think that Tim Weisberg or Steve Kujala was gonna jump in with a flute solo.

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor>>

Phil, you heard what we heard. The recording was mastered at A and M by one of the best mastering engineers in the business, Mr. Dave Collins...and I'll tell you a little story that will make your hair stand on end. We had the 2 back-up audio masters (the DATs), but intended to use the Sonic Solutions master. Unfortunately, we discovered after the entire recording session was done that the Sonic tracks were all ruined due to a software defect that was un-fixable. It was a minor defect, but audible enough on a solo piano recording to make the tracks impossible to use. Had we been able to use the Sonic tracks, the engineers felt it would have been one of the finest sounding piano recordings thus far....ahhhh, well....but we were pleased with the sound of the Panasonic DAT and went with it. No regrets....

Re the voicings, that is part of the signature of my work. I don't as a general rule play my melody lines up an octave as many solo pianists do. My background is largely popular music, and since I don't sing, the piano functions as my "voice". I play in the octave that I would sing the lines if my voice was worth a darn. (there go the Tory comparisons!!!!)

And that was interesting that you mentioned Tim Weisberg. I've known him for years and we have a mutual appreciation. I opened for his band at a show in Southern California not too long ago. One of these days I'm going to tie his leg to my keyboard and do some collaborating with him!

Thanks so much, Phil.

<

I just got one and was wondering what little tricks a pro such as yourself (who has had a lot of experience with the instrument) could share with me.

And to stay on topic, Amazing Recording!!!!!

Fletch >>

Thanks, Fletch (great movie, btw... ;-) )

As you figured, I LOVE the DG8. My fave piano sound is the Bosie (Piano 1) and I usually use the True Grand setting with verb at approximately 1/3 and I ALWAYS use the EQ. EQ becomes part of the performance, since I adjust it as needed based on the sound of the room and the qualities I need for each song. Pads are always nice to add underneath with subtlety, and a nice "tine" or "bell" effect can be achieved with a small amount of EP or FM added to the piano. Any voice can be combined with another, so there's many possibilities. I really enjoy the cards too - they're so well done! My current fave is the Latin card - it's so good it just "plays itself" and lends itself to much creativity. Most of all, it's just nice to have a piano replacement that I don't have to make excuses for and can actually enjoy playing in concert. If you have more questions, just e-me and I'll try to help.

<

If anything, (and well I'm picky about even the best music ). A break from the flowing "waves" of piano-chord would be great. Sort of pausing the flow for a little bit of afterthought (that would be VERY Tori'ish), and then *WOOSH* away again.

Still, a great tune.

/d-kay>>

D-kay - I think Tori is tremendously talented, but I think her style is very different from mine. I'm not even sure I can cop Tory's style - she's unique unto herself. She does, however, have red hair too, so we share some other attributes!

It's cool that you guys are analyzing my music and enjoying it. I try not to think too much about it when I'm playing - I find that my music comes out better when I just let it happen and let it go where it wants to. When you've been playing your entire life, I find that your musical instincts are so ingrained that the best musical decisions are the ones which come naturally.

<

Laurie, EXCELLENT work. I loved it !

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada>>

And Gus - muchas gracias, amigo!!!!

Best to all....and a VERY Happy 4th!

Laurie Z.

http://www.lauriez.com (wait 'til you see the new site - we'll even have free downloadable samples from the music book!)

http://www.mp3.com/lauriez

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I'm on my wife's computer with fairly expensive headphones. Wow!! The Disklavier sounds wonderful. Exceptional playing. This must be on the CD. I must admit I've read articles about you & seen your CD's advertised but I've never listened to any of your material. I must go looking for more. . .

So sorry - didn't mean to leave out your comments, Mr. B3. I've heard you're one heckuva player, so I really appreciate your compliments. I LOVE a good B3!

The Disklavier is a great instrument, and I fell in love with this particular piano that Yamaha supplied. The entire album was recorded in semi-darkness using only candlelight, no bells or whistles, and it truly was a collaboration between me and the instrument. An interesting side-note: Both Guns and Roses and Motley Crue were in adjacent studios (Marshall stacks on 11 and all!) while we were in Studio 1 creating a raw, naked acoustic piano album.

When you check out my other material, you'll find that there's quite a variety sonically. We even have a very cool trance remix of one of my songs on the mp3.com site - no solo piano there! The next CD won't be a solo piano project - not a chance - every album has to have its own personality.

Take care,

Laurie Z.

Laurie,

Too bad about that master, that must have bummed you out bigtime!

Next time you talk to Tim W, tell him that I think his now-out-of-print Party Of One album is one of my all-time favorites. I'd kill to have a flute like his on my flute pieces. He was a big influence over some of my songwriting...

------------------

Cheers!

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Llarion:

Laurie,

Too bad about that master, that must have bummed you out bigtime!

Next time you talk to Tim W, tell him that I think his now-out-of-print Party Of One album is one of my all-time favorites. I'd kill to have a flute like his on my flute pieces. He was a big influence over some of my songwriting...

O Phil, you got that right. We got good and drunk the night we realized it was a lost cause.

Tracking down Tim is a little like trying to find Sasquatch, but I agree - he's a master at the flute, and his band is great live. I enjoyed the Weisberg/Fogelberg collaborations, too.

Will let him know when I find him! :-)

Best,

Laurie

Originally posted by Gulliver:

Very, very nice piece of music! I wish I could play (and compose!) so beautifully... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/cool.gif

Vladislav (your fan)

Thanks so much, Vladislav! I like your handle (Gulliver)...

Are you from Russia?

:-)

Laurie Z.

Better late than never. I finally got a chance to download and listen to the cd compilation tunes this weekend. It was pretty awe inspiring. I am still on a high about the great talent we have rubbing shoulders here.

Laurie, I love how this ebbs and flows naturally, like a stream. You can tell when a gifted performer is transported while playing. Quite beautiful and meaningful.

Regards,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

> Are you from Russia?

Not quite. I am from Estonia (the small country near Baltic Sea).

But yeah, I speak Russian too, though for some reason prefer music made in the USA... I think because of - quality matters! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Vladislav

I am back.

Originally posted by Gulliver:

> Are you from Russia?

Not quite. I am from Estonia (the small country near Baltic Sea).

But yeah, I speak Russian too, though for some reason prefer music made in the USA... I think because of - quality matters! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Vladislav

Vladislav, the reason I ask is that my musical buddy and partner in crime here, Igor Pogosyan, is from Russia, and he's wonderful at dance remixes. You should check out his site at:

www.mp3.com/igorpogosyan.com....as you said, Quality matters! :-)

BTW, my grandparents were from Russia....small world, yes?

Best,

Laurie

Sorry, for some reason Igor's url got scrambled - that's

http://www.mp3.com/igorpogosyan

And since I'm here, Jerry - thanks very much for the nice comments! I have to say that it's really wonderful how you found something great to say about everyone's music and posted to each person's site individually. Very cool of you!

Ustah - thanks so much to you, too. I hope that you all like my new material to come as well...

So glad to be a part of our "keyboard community" here. Who says keyboard players have an attitude?

Best to all,

Laurie Z.

(I'm really looking forward to hearing the compilation. I haven't been able to even play my own mp3's on my computer here - something's definitely wrong....we're trying to fix the problems, but that's why I haven't been able to comment on anyone's mp3s yet. :-(

arrrrrrrrrgh!)

Archived