Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is there a "best" Beatles song?

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

For me, the best Beatles song, hands down, it "She Loves You." Yes, I realize that the lyric is kind of corny, but the performance was amazing. No other Beatles song conveyed that level of jubilation. They were so excited to be making music and to have their music heard around the world. That excitement pours right out of the grooves, through the speakers, and into your soul.

I dunno Dan, I always felt that way about I Saw Her Standing There. I mean, even the COUNT IN has unbridled energy to it...

Phil O'Keefe

Sound Sanctuary Recording

Riverside CA

http://members.aol.com/ssanctuary/index.html

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

One of my favorite Beatles' tunes is one of the more obscure Harrison songs, "It's All Too Much"...I think I like it 'cause it hasn't been played to death. It kinda drones on one chord, Indian style...but sort of a catchy melody.

But I'd find it easier to add a twist...

What's your LEAST favorite Beatles song? I'd probably go for "Wild Honey Pie" off the White Album...which was just plain silly...more horsing around than anything.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

Oh, and another fave off the same LP as the Harrison tune..."Hey Bulldog". That's another great one that's sort of obscure.

Tedster, it's a great rocking tune indeed, and one that I'd like to cover (cross threading here), but it's not Harrison. It's Lennon. Harrison's other lovely track on Yellow Submarine is "Northern Song." It and "It's All Too Much" are seriously overlooked psychedelic classics, IMO.

Magpel, just doing my job as a Beat-o-maniac

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Oh, and another fave off the same LP as the Harrison tune..."Hey Bulldog". That's another great one that's sort of obscure.

PS, do you guys remember when an aging Frank Sinatra finally paid tribute to Lennon and McCartney, whome he had slammed pretty hard early in their careers? It was at some awards show, and after a canned preamble about the greatness of Len. and Mac., Sinatra proceeded to sing "Something."

It can suck being George...

Magpel

I never said "Bulldog" was a Harrison tune...I said it was off the same LP (Yellow Submarine) as "It's all too much" which is a Harrison tune. "Hey Bulldog" is classic Lennon. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

I never said "Bulldog" was a Harrison tune...I said it was off the same LP (Yellow Submarine) as "It's all too much" which is a Harrison tune. "Hey Bulldog" is classic Lennon. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Apologies Tedster, you are correct. I misread the original--it had a multi-post syntactical structure that confused me. Of course you knew Bulldog was Lennon! Or was it Sutcliff??

Magpel

(Maxwell Smart voice)..."Ahhh, I see, the old multi-post synta...uh...suntox...uh, synop...what he said..." http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gifhttp://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

http://www.recordingwebsite.com/graphics/curly.gif

Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com:

I dunno Dan, I always felt that way about I Saw Her Standing There. I mean, even the COUNT IN has unbridled energy to it...

All of the stuff from that era showcased the Beatles at their best. Hard Day's Night and All My Lovin' are also extraordinary. I just LOVE this stuff!

All of the stuff from that era showcased the Beatles at their best. Hard Day's Night and All My Lovin' are also extraordinary. I just LOVE this stuff!

One night I was damaging some brain cells and just reflecting on how the Beatles never, or very very rarely, seemed to make a compositional mistake or misfire of any kind. I think that even with my favorite bands, there's always an awkward phrase here or there, a sticks-and-glue transition where they're transparently trying to get back to the verse, or commonest of all and ill-advised bridge "just to have something different." In my foggy brain, I ran through all the beatles bridges I could think of. They're perfect. It's all canonical, sacred music now to most of us, so its hard to think of it critically. But what was it? Was it Martin's guiding hand or Macca's discipline? Whether the song moves you or not, the craftsmanship and rightness of the musical instincts are astonishing, beyond any other original band I can think of, or at least any band that ranged so ambitiously across styles, transcedning "mere rock" and taking their place in a much larger pop tradition, with a nice dose of avant-garde in there too to keep things edgy. Phew, yer right. I love this stuff. It is endlessy, infinitely gratifying music.

Sycophancy and hero worship off,

Magpel

One more thing relevant to this forum. Evaluate the Beatles as keyboard players. McCartney has that natural facility on any instrument he picks up. George Martin played the tricky bits, or Billy Preston. But here's a vote for Lennon. I totally dig the primitve, "banged quarter note" piano style that dominates the Plastic Ono Band album, e.g., on Mother. I've tried to imitate that style, thinking it should be easy, but it's not for some reason. With a rhythm section of Ringo and Klaus Voorman, that's about as basic as it gets, which was so perfect for the character of that album.

Any thoughts? name some keyboard highlights from Beatles songs.

magpel, chatty tonight.

Keyboard highlights from Beatle tunes???

Lady Madonna...

The (harmonium?) solo in "In My Life" (credited to Martin)

Martha My Dear

Billy Preston on "Get Back"

One of my faves...the simple, yet totally effective "You never give me your money"....which launches into something not quite as simple in the "Out of college" verse...(not for me, anyway...)

Keyboard highlights from Beatle tunes???

Let It Be features Preston's piano and some pipe organ - I haven't a clue who played the organ. Lady Madonna has an aggressive piano part. Back In The U.S.S.R. features Jerry Lee Lewis/Little Richard style boogie woogie piano parts.

I would bet that Let It Be probably had Macca on piano and Preston on organ. There are two or three released takes of that song, the differences appear mostly around the lead in to the guitar solo...and the solo itself. Could it be that perhaps there was some instrument swapping going on?

Speaking of which...does anyone know where one can scam a video of that movie? It's like they're still trying to deny its existence after 30 years. They acknowledge clips from it, but the movie in its entirety is nowhere to be found. In the movie it's clearly Paul on piano, John playing Fender bass six...George on his rosewood Tele (now apparently owned by Delaney Bramlett)...etc...

Beatles keyboard highlights? How about the Mellotron / Chamberlain intro to Strawberry Fields? I can't believe no one mentioned that simple yet classic lick... How 'bout the "tacked" piano on Rocky Raccoon? Lots of good keyboard parts!

YNGMYM is probably my favorite Beatles piano part... seems to be a popular choice with some of the rest of you too.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

another aspect of how note perfect the fab four got it is their vocals. they not only wrote the best pop stuff maybe ever, but they sang the tunes just about flawlessly, from the sweet vocals to the pure visceral screams, phrasing impeccable, vocal texture canny, use of harmony, judicious and sound. one of my fav songs of all time, if i fell in love with you. the changes that sit on that melody seem so inevitable but surprising at the same time. as for who, paul or john, neither was able as an individual to match the team effort. imho

well, someone mentioned a day in the life a while ago which is a fab song until johns middle part, i think. Let it be is also beaut. but so damn cliched. the "out of college" part of "you never give me your money" just cracks me up its so good and fun. brill to play aswell. i cant understad why people say revolver is their best,i think anything after rev. was better

my tc

-starfucker

Visit my band : www.neonfleacircus.net or www.myspace.com/neonfleacircus

Originally posted by Starfucker:

well, someone mentioned a day in the life a while ago which is a fab song until johns middle part...

-starfucker

The middle part ("woke up, got out of bed...") is Paul, all of the rest of the song is John.

I don't know if I have a favorite Beatles song (too many to choose from, but I'll add to what's already been mentioned "Day Tripper", "Paperback Writer", and "Come Together"), but the worst I've heard is "Mr. Moonlight". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

There are a lot of good keyboard parts in Beatles songs. A few: "Lady Madonna", "Martha My Dear", "Let It Be", "Get Back".

If I had to pick a second favorite, it would be Penny Lane. Nice bouncy groove, a happy vibe, inventive modulations, and that amazing piccolo trumpet! I wonder who wrote the trumpet part. SGM?

The story on that (as reported by both Paul and SGM) is that Paul had gone and seen a performance of Bach's Brandenburg Concertos... and was impressed by the sound of this "high trumpet" and came back and asked SGM what it was... he decided he wanted it on Penny Lane, and sang most of the parts to SGM who transcribed it out for the session player to play.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

email: pokeefe777@msn.com

Originally posted by Postman:

but the worst I've heard is "Mr. Moonlight". http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/rolleyes.gif

B]

I used to think this, too, (they didn't write it, btw), but I grew to love it. John's vocal is fantastic, especially the opening line. On the Anthology, there's an outake of John doing the line and not quite getting it, Paul going "nearly". Great stuff.

The opening of Lucy In The Sky is a pretty magical keyboard bit. Supposedly Paul came up with that, as well as the Strawberry Fields opening.

Macle

Hi

Smoke some weed, put your headphones on and play 'I want you, she's so heavy'. That will work great.

Peace.

The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

Originally posted by sign:

Hi

Smoke some weed, put your headphones on and play 'I want you, she's so heavy'. That will work great.

Peace.

Great track. I've listened to it so many times I can actually tell you where / when the cut off is going to be.

The story behind that is that the song was actually even longer... and John was sitting in the control room and listening to the playback and said "there - cut the tape THERE". and that's what they did.

Phil O'Keefe

Riverside CA

pokeefe777@msn.com

Archived