Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Xample"

Dave Bryce

As many of you know, we are attempting to compile a CD's worth of material submitted by members of this forum.

In order to do this, we have posted the entries for consideration and evaluation by all of the members of the forum, whether or not they have contributed a piece.

The entries can be found at this web site:

http://artists.mp3s.com/artists/261/the_keyboard_corner.html

Please go there, and evaluate the piece called "Xample", submitted by Steve Jordan (B_3guy). Please post your comments on that tune in this thread. This link will take you directly to this piece.

If the artist of the piece would care to post any notes about the piece in this thread, they should feel free to do so.

Thanks for listening!

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nice to hear a real B3, the overdrive sounds good...I'd like to hear a bit more overdrive but amount your using suits this tune.

Very catchy melody it will probably be in my head the rest of the day...bass line works well. Wow, the Korg sounds great too...is that a monophonic sound?

Are the drums quantized?...something about them doesn't always feel right...cool beat though.

Your timing isn't bad but it is the one thing I think you could work on...try not to get too excited when playing faster licks...at times it sounded like you rushed these a little.

Overall, good work...I really enjoyed it, man I wish I had a B3, you definitly get a great sound out of yours.

This message has been edited by Steve LeBlanc on 06-08-2001 at 05:57 PM

Thanks for the kind words. My timing is not my strong suit. I do tend to push the beat. The drums are midi but I didn't put quantize on. Should I? The Korg patch is polyphonic but only firing a single oscillator. Again thanks for the kind words.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

The B3 sounds excellent, and it's very well recorded.

There is something about the groove, though. Could the drums maybe have been run through a delay. They seem to lag the other instruments. Other than that, it's a dynamite track.

Maybe I still have a latency in my midi. Maybe a slight latency in my recording. Maybe the combination produces a latency. I thought I had it corrected & it was me pushing the bass line at some points. Thanks for the encouragement.

Steve

B3, I'm sure that a small adjustment would line everything up just right. If your recorder has track delays, try delaying the other (non drum) tracks by 20 to 80 milliseconds and see if that doesn't do the trick. Again, your B3 playing sounds awesome.

Now here we got one cool song. I like the sound of organs (not that I use them a lot), but you friend, you are not called B3 guy for nothing.

I would like to comment this song with two questions:

1. Did you work in a rush?

2. Is this that new drum recording technique you`ve been talking about in "How do you do drums" thread? They do not sound bad, only a bit odd, like they are in a bit lag. Maybe tour technique could be improved if you record two parts of drum kit in in one take simultaniously, instead of one. Yhat should cut record time in half and make it a bit closer to what you`ve been looking for, maybe.

Faruk

Fat But Fast

Ok, not very serious review,

I agree to on the drums , they sound lagged somehow. Or it's just me imagining.

About the piece: The synth from 01:45 to 02:20 must go!. The percussive electric piano that succeeds it is so much better (and the other organ that preceeds it, is so much cooler). More breaks like the one at 03:36 though..

and well, quite good tune though...

/d-kay

Okay...

Based on the feedback that he received here at the ranch, Steve has resubmitted another version of Xample - I'll let him tell you what he fixed on it.

However...

It is now back in MP3.com jail awaiting non-preferred member clearance, which means that we should see it again in October or so...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Nice to hear a real B3, the overdrive sounds good...I'd like to hear a bit more overdrive but amount your using suits this tune.

It's an Hammond XK-2 thru a ART Tube MP into a Leslie 145. Thanks for the compliment. I figured out what was wrong with the track see below.

Are the drums quantized?...something about them doesn't always feel right...cool beat though.

I went back & put a click track on the drums are bang on. It's the bassline that's loose. I redid the bassline & recorded the midi. Then quantized it. So It's now OK. The thing about the drums is I had them going backwards. The kick is now on the 1 beat.

Originally posted by dansouth@yahoo.com:

I had a thought. What would it sound like with just bass and organ? The bass part really cooks. I think it could keep the groove going all by itself.

Gee, that might be cool!

Originally posted by Faruk:

1. Did you work in a rush?

2. Is this that new drum recording technique you`ve been talking about in "How do you do drums" thread? They do not sound bad, only a bit odd, like they are in a bit lag. Maybe tour technique could be improved if you record two parts of drum kit in in one take simultaniously, instead of one. Yhat should cut record time in half and make it a bit closer to what you`ve been looking for, maybe.

I did work in a rush. I thought there would be a real rush of tracks for the compilation. I've only be doing the home studio thing since Jan. so inexperience is a big factor. It wasn't me talking about a new drumming technique. Maybe it was B3wiz? Thanks for calling my track "one cool tune".

Originally posted by d-kay:

About the piece: The synth from 01:45 to 02:20 must go!. The percussive electric piano that succeeds it is so much better (and the other organ that preceeds it, is so much cooler). More breaks like the one at 03:36 though..

In one sense I would like a serious review. . . but maybe I wouldn't. I find it interesting what one person likes and another doesn't. The synth solo I put a lot of thought into, with numerous takes, before I decided on that one. The Wulitzer solo was basically - I need another solo. I was planning to put an organ solo in there. While I had the Wulitzer out, I was fooling around. . . It was one take & I kept it. I've read your reviews in other threads & I know you're tough. I also feel that when you say you like something, it's not just lip service.Thanks for your comments & the time you took to listen to the tune.

I would like to thank everyone for their comments. Being a rookie at the home studio this has have helped me to get better.

Steve

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay...

Based on the feedback that he received here at the ranch, Steve has resubmitted another version of Xample - I'll let him tell you what he fixed on it.

Only fixed the bassline & drums. See above. All other tracks remain the same. Thanks, Dave

Steve

Originally posted by d-kay:

------------------------------------------

Originally posted by b_3guy:

In one sense I would like a serious review. . . but maybe I wouldn't. I find it interesting what one person likes and another doesn't. ...

{I've read your} reviews in other threads & I know you're tough. I also feel that when you say you like something, it's not just lip service.Thanks for your comments & the time you took to listen to the tune.

Tough?, http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif. OK, perhaps. I'm very picky about music. I can hear if there is something I like or dislike, and I have opinions on almost everything.

Well, opinions from me (the critical ones!) are usually on songs that I like, but find small things that irritates. I miss the points some times, so please don't take me that seriously. I'm just a guy who likes music, not a professional music-producer. I may sound harsh at times, but I'm just trying to explain what I liked and didn't like about the song, Not just saying "nice tune"..(and I'll submit one of my own songs to this contest soon, so you'll be able to "return the favor" http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif)

What I meant by saying "not very serious review" was that I'd just listened to the song 3 times.

Love the sensual organ sound, especially when the leslie gets going... The theme is simple and straightforward, and serves as a solid bed for the inventive and tasty solo work. The piece seems geared toward film/TV work, and it's not at all a stretch to envision it as a TV show theme song, like a cop or adventure show. Enjoyable idea, and effective execution.

I'm not a big fan of the crash cymbal though, because even though it times with a kick like it normally should, the actual patch's attack curve is very linear and harsh, and the placement of the cymbal in the soundfield makes it sound a bit disconnected from the rest of the percussion. The groove itself is very interesting, kind of an amalgam of a two-step and a vertical quarter groove.

If I might make a constructive suggestion in terms of blending with that groove a little better, because grooves like that are more stiff and unforgiving than some others, it is to just relax a bit. Your chord comping, especially in the fills, gets a little too much of a sense of "rushing" when you come in 1/64th ahead of the beat. On these "vertical" grooves you have to lay back a bit to make them sound comfy. 'Tis better to be a 64th late than a 64th early, ya know? it takes a lot of practice to make your meter be loose and "in the pocket" and yet still precise. I hope someday that I myself attain that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

My criticisms are directed largely at esoterica, so take them as you will. In all, it's a very enjoyable piece. I like it when someone springs a groove on me that I haven't heard. Wish I could solo half as well as you do on the organ, my material would improve immeasurably. The recording quality is sharp, the mix is present, up front, and crisp.

Nice job!

------------------

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.mp3.com/llarion

Smooth Jazz

Cheers!

Phil "Llarion: The Jazzinator" Traynor

www.llarion.com

Smooth Jazz

- QUESTION AUTHORITY. Go ahead, ask me anything.

http://www.llarion.com/images/dichotomybanner.jpg

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

Sounds Great! Drums and Bass are much better.

Thanks Steve for listening again.

Originally posted by Llarion:

Love the sensual organ sound, especially when the leslie gets going... The theme is simple and straightforward, and serves as a solid bed for the inventive and tasty solo work.

Thanks for the great compliments.

I'm not a big fan of the crash cymbal though, because even though it times with a kick like it normally should, the actual patch's attack curve is very linear and harsh, and the placement of the cymbal in the soundfield makes it sound a bit disconnected from the rest of the percussion. The groove itself is very interesting, kind of an amalgam of a two-step and a vertical quarter groove.

I agree. The crash on the MP3 does tend to stick out like a sore thumb. It doesn't seem to stick out as much on teh Aiff file. It makes me think I should start looking for an Alesis Drum Module of some type.

If I might make a constructive suggestion in terms of blending with that groove a little better, because grooves like that are more stiff and unforgiving than some others, it is to just relax a bit. Your chord comping, especially in the fills, gets a little too much of a sense of "rushing" when you come in 1/64th ahead of the beat. On these "vertical" grooves you have to lay back a bit to make them sound comfy. 'Tis better to be a 64th late than a 64th early, ya know? it takes a lot of practice to make your meter be loose and "in the pocket" and yet still precise. I hope someday that I myself attain that. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

I agree my timing sucks. I must learn patience.

The piece seems geared toward film/TV work, and it's not at all a stretch to envision it as a TV show theme song, like a cop or adventure show. Enjoyable idea, and effective execution.

Now that you mention it, it does the riff does sound like it could be part of a TV show theme. Thanks again for listening. All comments are greatly appreciated.

Steve

Being a guitar guy who started life on my Mom's little hammond organ, I always loved the B3 sound.

Because of the length of the song, (and me being a guitarist now), my ears wanted to hear a non-keyboard voice taking some solo's. If you're in a band, do you work with a guitarist, sax player, or any other soloist?

If you ever want to try a digital "call and response" song with a guitplayer... let me know... It would be fun to trade some licks with you.

guitplayer

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I've traded licks before with guitarplayers & I really like it. I'm game for some sort of colaboration. I use DP 2.72 on a Mac. If you don't, I'm sure there's a way to get on a commom ground. Let me know!!!

Steve

Groovy, man! Now the accompaniment doesn't hassle the soloing so I can get into it more, and I enjoy the soloing a lot- makes me want to order a Mai-Tai.

The snare/hat is still pretty sewing-machine, though- continual variations in midi velocity help avoid that, especially with good velocity-layered samples. Also helps avoid the WWI Maxim-machine-gun-snare on rolls, etc. Even totally relentless robot beats are great in their place (not saying yours are robotic, just commenting in general) but I think the swanky organ here calls for a lot of midi and sample drum tweaking to keep it smooov.

The mp3 format can be very unkind to cymbals or anything with lots of high-end sizzle. The weird thing is that my "junkyard cymbal", the landlord's silver-plated fruit plate, survives the process fine, but some good-sounding samples don't. Just a bit of live percussion on programmed beats seems to make a big difference in overall effect.

Okay, I'm kind of going on about the drums, not to be critical but because I've got a bee in my bonnet about recording percussion these days, it's an area I need to work too! I'm "taking lessons" the moderne way, sending files of my stuff over the internet for a percussionist to critique, and yee olde fashioned way, buying beer for a drummer and asking his advice and hoping something rubs off.

Basically I wanted to say your organ playing is swanky, the more a sweet backing showcases it, the better.

-CB

This message has been edited by Bobro on 07-01-2001 at 06:03 PM

Originally posted by Bobro:

The snare/hat is still pretty sewing-machine, though- continual variations in midi velocity help avoid that, especially with good velocity-layered samples.

The mp3 format can be very unkind to cymbals or anything with lots of high-end sizzle.

Thanks for listening to my tune again. My midi knowledge is very limited, but as I develop other tunes, I want to try some tricks to make it seem like there's someone with a heartbeat doing drums. The MP3 format does make the cymbals stick out of the mix. I'm going to keep my eye out for an Alesis DM-4 or some other drum module to improve the drums. Thanks for listening to my tune & taking some time to comment on it!

Steve

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Okay, the new version of this song has cleared MP3 jail, and is currently back on the site and available for yer listening pleasure.

dB

I was wondering why everybody was making comments about the drums... then I realizaed I listened the new version. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Cool B3 playing and sounds. I agree that the lead line in the middle is not as good as the pure B3 or electric piano but then we were able to listen this guy soloing in a monophonic line ... it was a cool experience... Bravo !

------------------

Gustavo G Lozada

Moderador de:

MusicPlayer.com/NuestroForo

"La voz en Español en Música y Tecnología"

GusTraX @yahoo.com

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Originally posted by GusTraX:

I agree that the lead line in the middle is not as good as the pure B3 or electric piano but then we were able to listen this guy soloing in a monophonic line ... it was a cool experience... Bravo !

Thanks for the encouragement, Gus. What inspired this little synth solo was a thread here in the forum, which was something like "How do I do Blues solos like a Guitar Player?". In the thread I said sometimes guitar players just take a note, bend them, & hold that for a couple of bars, etc. Thanks again.

Steve

Originally posted by b_3guy:

I've traded licks before with guitarplayers & I really like it. I'm game for some sort of colaboration. I use DP 2.72 on a Mac. If you don't, I'm sure there's a way to get on a commom ground. Let me know!!!

I'm just a lowly guitplayer with a Roland 880ex and a cd burner. If you know how we could collaborate... I'm in!

My "public" e-mail is acousticvoodoo@yahoo.com. Let me know.

guitplayer

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/acousticvoodoo

Guitar Forum CD Info

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000537.html

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

Just listened to the tune. Overall I like it a lot, great B-3 sound. A few comments.

The hihat is too much in your face IMHO, and a little mechanical (as CB pointed out). I would just lower it in the mix a little maybe, and add a little variety.

Also, in seems there's some kind of 'ghost' to the hihat, it's more clear in the beginning when it's just with the bass. I'm going to listen to it from work and see if I still hear it (Since I didn't notice the first two times I heard it). Was that intentional? It sounds like some kind of electronic noise.

And echo on some of the comments:

The solo starts that starts around 1:40 I didn't really dig. I like the beginning where it sounds like a guitar, but then it seems to break up. I like the ep type sound afterwards better.

Also the crash.. there seems to be a delay on it at some points.

Great tune overall, and thanks again for the work on the cover.

Korg Kronos X73 / ARP Odyssey / Motif ES Rack / Roland D-05 / JP-08 / SE-05 / Jupiter Xm / Novation Mininova / NL2X / Waldorf Pulse II

MBP-LOGIC

American Deluxe P-Bass, Yamaha RBX760

Archived