Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FORUM CD: Rate "Xample"

Dave Bryce

Originally posted by Rod CA:

The hihat is too much in your face IMHO, and a little mechanical (as CB pointed out). I would just lower it in the mix a little maybe, and add a little variety.

I agree. I have a friend who is going to remix & master the tune for the final CD. I'm taking it over to be done today.

Originally posted by Rod CA:

Also, in seems there's some kind of 'ghost' to the hihat, it's more clear in the beginning when it's just with the bass. I'm going to listen to it from work and see if I still hear it (Since I didn't notice the first two times I heard it). Was that intentional? It sounds like some kind of electronic noise.

It is intentional. It is an electronic note that slides down in pitch, beats to the tempo, & the filter changes in the envelope. I did it to give it a more modern sound, other wise it would be very plain & more bluesy. I wanted it somewhat buries in the background.

Thanks for taking the time to listen Rod. I really appreciate your detailed comments.

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Better late than never. I finally got a chance to download and listen to the cd compilation tunes this weekend. It was pretty awe inspiring. I am still on a high about the great talent we have rubbing shoulders here. Wow.

I have spent weeks trying to get my synths to sound like organs, and it is quite disgusting to me to hear a real organist set my attempts to naught. Great playing. I like the gurgle & swoosh and shimmer of your playing. You have the licks down. All you need is a good sloppy drummer like Billy Martin to take the audience all kinds of places they didn't think they could go.

The distorted lead was good too. What did you do it on? There seemed to be something you were doing like a pitch bend, or a filter thing that made the pitch appear to go up by an octave. What was that?

Cheers,

Jerry

------------------

www.tuskerfort.com

Originally posted by Tusker:

Better late than never. I finally got a chance to download and listen to the cd compilation tunes this weekend. It was pretty awe inspiring. I am still on a high about the great talent we have rubbing shoulders here. Wow.

I have spent weeks trying to get my synths to sound like organs, and it is quite disgusting to me to hear a real organist set my attempts to naught. Great playing. I like the gurgle & swoosh and shimmer of your playing. You have the licks down. All you need is a good sloppy drummer like Billy Martin to take the audience all kinds of places they didn't think they could go.

The distorted lead was good too. What did you do it on? There seemed to be something you were doing like a pitch bend, or a filter thing that made the pitch appear to go up by an octave. What was that?

Cheers,

Jerry

Gees Jerry, thanks for the high praise. I really appreciate your comments because I know you're quite a player. I've listened to your tune & been to your web site, but I'm not sure if I put a comment in yet. The lead was done on a Korg MS2000. A lot of the other guys turn their nose up at the board but I like it for what it is. I don't think I've put any whammy bar style stuff on it, that's something I added later - push the mod wheel & it automatically goes down an octave. So I think it was pitch bending. The envelope causes the low pass filter to increase as the note sounds causing the difference in the tone of the note, rather guitar like.

I agree, there is some great talent around here. Thanks for taking the time to listen!!

Steve

www.seagullphotodesign.com

Archived