Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Album cover(s)?

Dave Bryce

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I like clean design and visual mystery:

"Aja." "Graceland." "Wish You Were Here." (In fact, I like most Hipgnosis-designed covers.)

I dislike pictures of the band engaged in wacky hijinks and/or with their shirts off, visual puns on the title and most heavy metal album covers. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

- Jim Bordner

This message has been edited by Guest Room Warrior on 04-11-2001 at 02:00 PM

Jim Bordner

Gravity Music

"Tunes so heavy, there

oughta be a law."

I like clean design and visual mystery:

"Aja." "Graceland." "Wish You Were Here." (In fact, I like most Hipgnosis-designed covers.)

Regarding "Wish You Were Here", it's actually a drag that the CD is not packaged the same way as the original album. As many of you other old guys may remember, the original LP was shrouded entirely in "Smell the Glove" black shrink wrap with a sticker on it.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Almost anything Roger Dean has done with Yes (my personal favorite is "Relayer").

H.R. Giger's cover for "Brain Salad Surgery".

Cream's album covers were pretty cool, a lot of them from that period are interesting (Sgt. Pepper, duh!) As far as the Beatles are concerned, however, I prefer the White Album just because of the stark simplicity of the cover (especially when compared with the previous album, Sgt. Pepper).

As for least favorite, I must say that while I think Phil Collins is a gifted drummer and singer, his album covers are totally bland. How many album covers can we have with one guy's face on the cover? "Let's see, on the first one my whole head was in the picture, so on the next one let's do a profile from the right, then on the next an aerial shot, and then an angled one, and then a profile from the left..." (I swear unto you, unless I am mistaken, that the "Both Sides" album has two covers, one where a shot of half of Phil's face is on the right, and one where the shot is on the left! AAAAH!!!) Great artists, lousy covers.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Regarding "Wish You Were Here", it's actually a drag that the CD is not packaged the same way as the original album. As many of you other old guys may remember, the original LP was shrouded entirely in "Smell the Glove" black shrink wrap with a sticker on it.

It's been "repackaged" in CD form (25th anniversary??) to look exactly like the original LP. Saw it in a CD store in Toronto... at the cash... under glass. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Not sure if it contains any inserts or not... but it's wrapped in back vinyl with the sticker on the front just like the original release.

Cool... no??

Don't get me started!!!!

I've always been a fan of Roger Dean, so it was only natural that I be drawn (pardon the pun) to his LP covers. i.e.,

Uriah Heap: Magician's Birthday - 1972

Yes: Tales From Topographic Oceans - 1973

Greenslade: Beside Manners Are Extra - 1973

I've always loved the Hipgnosis LP covers.

Others I like....

King Crimson: In The Court of the Crimson King - 1969, is awesome!!!

Pink Floyd: Atom Heart Mother - 1970

The Paul Whithead covers he did for Genesis:

Nursery Cryme & Foxtrot

Neon Park did some neato stuff for Little Feat:

Dixie Chicken & Feats Don't Fail Me Now

Commander Cody and his Lost Planet Airmen is pretty cool 30's Sci-Fi type stuff.

And, of course, who could forget Captain Fantastic And The Brown Dirt Cowboy???

Remember Be-Bop Deluxe's Axe Victim.. the one with the skull for a guitar body??... scary!!!!

The Fripp & Eno No Pussyfootinghas always fascinated me... those mirrored walls, all the stuff on the glass shelves, those "nudey girl" playing cards... fascinating..... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Ah, man... I could on and on and on and on and.....

I love LP covers... and love collecting them. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Cheers!!

StevieB

The cover that comes to my mind is "Give us a wink" by Sweet.

A funny looking thing with an eye that "blinks" when you opens it.

------------------

--Smedis,--

The Andy Warhol "Sticky Fingers" cover with working zipper (also the Velvet Underground "banana" cover)

The special Robert Rauschenberg packaging for Talking Heads'"Speaking In Tongues". The album was printed on clear vinyl in a clear plastic case with a Rauschenberg-imaged discs (one red, one blue) on each side. I think there were 1000 made, originally sold for $10. I have a copy autographed by the band. Way cool.

The Beatles' "butcher" cover - what album was that, "Yesterday & Today"?

It's been "repackaged" in CD form (25th anniversary??) to look exactly like the original LP. Saw it in a CD store in Toronto... at the cash... under glass. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Not sure if it contains any inserts or not... but it's wrapped in back vinyl with the sticker on the front just like the original release.

Cool... no??

Cool - YES!!!

The problem is, now I gotta get it and not open it...luckily, I've hadhave an opened copy since it was released on CD many moons ago.

Thanks, Stevie!!!

dB

Well, like all of the posters above (with excellent taste, may I add) have stated, the Roger Dean Yes covers were always neat to trip out on while the headphones were on your head and the bong was in your other hand. The Hipgnosis stuff for Floyd is certainly classic. I think they also did the Zeppelin "Presence" cover with that weird black mini-monolith thing.

A couple great and/or memorable covers: "Candy-O" by the Cars featured an illustration of a hot redhead leaning back on a Corvette, created by one of the great girlie artists of all time (whose name escapes me now). It was excellent fodder for my pubescent imagination at the time. "Can't Buy A Thrill", the first Steely Dan album, was a cool montage of different wacky images. Blind Faith, the one-album super band featuring Clapton and Winwood, caught a lot of flack for showing a topless 11-year-old girl on their cover. The original cover for "Two Virgins" by John and Yoko showed them both nude on the cover...not a pleasant sight in either case. And "Amorica" by the Black Crowes used a '70s shot from Hustler magazine of an American flag bikini bottom with a touch of pubic hair sprouting out of the top. The record company made them change that one pretty quick.

And then there's my favorite: The White Album. Just kidding, but I am a fan of minimalism and negative space.

- Jeff

Oh damn, I mentioned Zeppelin and neglected to bring up the "Physical Graffiti" cover, with the slide-out sleeve...cool! And finally, the Zeppelin "In Through The Out Door" cover that turned different colors if you applied a little water. There were four different versions, with different coloring, if my brain remembers correctly.

- Jeff

There were four different versions, with different coloring, if my brain remembers correctly.

I heard that it was five different versions. I believe the difference is in the perspective, not the color - each one is seen through the eyes of a different person in the bar, if my brain remembers correctly.

dB

I believe the difference is in the perspective, not the color - each one is seen through the eyes of a different person in the bar, if my brain remembers correctly.

dB

Dddduuuuude...you're right. How cool was that? Sigh...I miss LPs only for this reason. Not that you can't get creative with CD art, but it's too small to get the full impact.

- Jeff

A note about the H.R. Giger cover to BSS:

H.R. is known for the sexual content of his art. BSS was no exception. If you look very carefully, you will see that there is a penis airbrushed out of the picture just below the mouth of the woman's skull in the photo.

Atlantic went nuts when they first saw the cover in its original form. It also gives you an idea of what the term Brain Salad Surgery means...

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Sigh...I miss LPs only for this reason. Not that you can't get creative with CD art, but it's too small to get the full impact.

Yeah... exactly!!!

LPs are much easier to see detail in.. plus.. they make great "art" for displaying. Large format.. flat...

I have a "plate rail" type shelf along one wall in the "music room". I put up LPs on it, you know, to display some of my favs and give peeps something to "zone on" while listening to tunes. I rotate the covers around to keep the display from geting too stale. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

A couple great and/or memorable covers: "Candy-O" by the Cars featured an illustration of a hot redhead leaning back on a Corvette, created by one of the great girlie artists of all time (whose name escapes me now)

the artist was named Varga (Vargas perhaps?), and the illustrations became known as Vargas girls

I agree with SteveB on "In the Court of the Crimson King", one of the best of all times.

I also love Jethro Tull's "Thick as a Brick": The original LP cover contains a complete newspaper of about 20 pages, not to speak of what is actually printed on it... Great music, too.

>>created by one of the great girlie artists of all time (whose name escapes me now).

It was Vargas. I believe he got his start painting nose art on WWII bombers. Later he did quite a few inserts for Playboy.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

My wife used to have two "albums"...pictorials...one was Roger Dean's "Views" and the other was called "The Album Cover Album"...containing all kinds of greats from the 40s through the rock era. Don't know if they're still in print, or if we still have them. Check at Borders or Barnes and Noble...

Tedster:

Alberto Vargas was around in the 30's drawing for Esquire. Just a bit of trivia: Every picture drawn, regardless of the decade, hair color, etc, is that of his wife. If you look at the face, you'll see that it's the same in every work.

'Course, if I had a wife that looked like that, Idon't think I'd be looking for too many models outside the home, either. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Setup: Korg Kronos 61, Roland XV-88, Korg Triton-Rack, Motif-Rack, Korg N1r, Alesis QSR, Roland M-GS64 Yamaha KX-88, KX76, Roland Super-JX, E-Mu Longboard 61, Kawai K1II, Kawai K4.

The cover on Roxy Music's "Avalon" is one I wish I had framed. Brings to mind the J.R.R. Tolkien books. And has anyone collected all 17 (if memory serves correctly) versions of the Police's "Synchronicity" cover? And for pure graphic impact, Floyd's "Dark Side of the Moon".

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

>>On the subject of functional album covers, there's Cheech and Chong's "Big Bambu

That came with a HUGE paper in it, didn't it? Don't know that anyone ever really used the paper...but the album cover did come in handy when I was younger and smokier.

I've always enjoyed the 'Moving Pictures' album by Rush, mainly because of the triple-entendre:

1. They're 'moving pictures' into the museum

2. The people are crying because the 'pictures' are very 'moving'

3. On the back, they're filming, creating 'moving pictures.'

Classic!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

That came with a HUGE paper in it, didn't it? Don't know that anyone ever really used the paper...

Cough, cough...yeah, I know someone who tried to use the paper... http://www.ihs4ever.com/~cwm/otn/confused/hmm2.gif

but the album cover did come in handy when I was younger and smokier.

I always used Frampton Comes Alive for "that purpose"...ahhh, those nutty '70's...

dB

I always used Frampton Comes Alive for "that purpose"...ahhh, those nutty '70's...

dB

Me too! It was a double album, and you could...uh, let's just say it was functional for that certain purpose. But on a side note, when I was a kid in 1976, I remember thinking that it was awfully strage for this rock star to have pink hair. I didn't know much about the effects of stage lighting back then, of course. But he did look cool, holding that triple-humbucker black Les Paul, stading onstage at the now-long-gone Winterland arena in San Francisco.

Do you...YOU...feel like I do?

- Jeff

Archived