Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Introductions?

Hello all you 88's. My name is Mike, I form Toronto Canada and have been playing keys for about 20yrs. I've studied at Humber College's Music program about 10yrs ago and I'm still working on different hand-outs they had given me.

I've played in oringal bands but mostly now it's cover acts to make some quick coin and for fun. I am getting back into the songwritting end of music and will be looking to buy some sequencing gear for the ol comptuter. I've had enough of going to friends homes to lay down a track.

I have a Roldand VK-7 and will be getting a Yamaha ES-7 shortly.

I look forward to chatting with you all and learning form your expirences.

Yours Truly,

me.

Step out of the box and grow!

Greetings all,

My names Barry. Ive enjoyed your advice since joining the forum about this time last year, and I've posted a few of my own opinions and comments (some of which may have even been helpful :freak::D ). I own a Yamaha S90, Samson Resolv 80a active studio monitors, and Audio Technica ATHM40fs headphones, all purchased new in mid-2004. Love that rig!

Although I enjoy piano, electric piano, organ and some synth, I chose the 88keys4me moniker to highlight my preference for piano. At 52, Im only slightly younger than dirt (but, good dirt. ) Im an Internet Security Product Manager whose job demands a lot of my time, and what spare time remains is happily shared with my wife, son and daughter. That leaves only about ten hours a week (+/-) for keyboarding, but after a twenty-year absence (due to work and family), its fantastic to be back, even in an abbreviated sort of way.

I began studying classical literature at 8. I soon realized I had naturally good relative pitch, and began to play everything I heard, without benefit of sheet music. This approach didnt help to build my classical repertoire, but over the years it did enable me to start playing show tunes, standards, popular music, and rock music.

I joined a neighborhood rock band at 11. We played anywhere there was a piano (as long as people would tolerate us since we were not too good!). The next year, I bought my first organ, a Farfisa Combo Compact, and started playing seriously with a better band. We played a variety of tunes, especially a lot of The Doors, who were really popular then. I could play Ray Manzareks stuff note for note, including Light My Fire and When the Musics Over, among others.

Around that time, I heard of Keith Emerson, who was then playing with The Nice. Man, I was positively captivated by his virtuosity and creativity!! He was the most inspiring keyboard player I ever heard! I followed his work as he joined up with Greg Lake and Carl Palmer, and was determined to learn as much of their music as possible. I wore out three copies of the first ELP vinyl album, plus Tarkus and Trilogy!

While in college, I returned to my classical roots and studied seriously for two years with an excellent teacher in New York. She was a Julliard graduate and an outspoken proponent of the Russian school of technique, which emphasizes playing from the shoulder for precise legato and staccato without fatigue. We worked on Bach, Beethoven, Chopin, Debussy and Rachmaninoff (and privately, ELP, as I was finally able to actually start playing some of their stuff).

Then I studied theory and composition for two years with a jazz pianist who, before graduating Manhattan School of Music in the 1960s, had studied briefly with Bill Evans. We worked progressively, starting with be-bop and then moving onto fusion. But I wanted to play club dates and cocktail music, so he taught me to play show tunes and standards, and ballads with complex melodic structures, which remain my favorite to this day.

He also introduced me to the Hammond. In addition to (thinking I was) playing Emo, I listened to lots of Jimmy Smith and Brian Auger, putting down as many of their riffs as I could. Soon I was the proud owner of a B3 and 122 Leslie. But I sold them after a few years (which I always regretted) since they were too much trouble to drag around to gigs.

Nowadays, Im focused on rebuilding my repertoire (twenty years absence will do that to ya). I play an occasional jazz set with friends on guitar, bass and drums. I really want to play some solo gigs, cocktail type stuff. But Im still game for rock, blues, and if I can get up for it, some ELP!

This is the best keyboard forum Ive seen, by far. Im glad to have made all your acquaintances and look forward to keeping up the chat! :cool:

Barry

hello guyz,

my name is Sambasevam, but others call me Sam, since its easier.

i started to play piano when i was 9 yrs old. my school principal recognized my talent and let me play for the school everyday for about 5 years. after that, i moved to U.S.A. its been about a year since i moved. i'm in 11th grade in high school.

i have the Fantom S and Cakewalk Sonar 3 PE running in my computer. Sound card is an E-Mu 0404. i have made about some 20+ rough tracks.

i used to play gigs when i was 15 yrs old. i played for a year. then i came to U.S.

i luv it here, but i miss my music life in india. :(

i was having a swell time in school in india. i'd play for almost ALL the functions that came up in school...became pretty popular throughout the school. started my own band with my friends.

when i started my own band by encouraging my friends to join me, the school principal encouraged us, but doubted if we'd play nice together. we had a music teacher who didnt teach us, but used to be like our best friend. i miss them all soo much.

we started preparing ourselves. out teacher informed us about a competition. we practiced a lot for that since its gonna be the first one and we wanted to win.

our principal was not sure...she said that we neeeded more practice and that this competition will decide whether we can get more support or not......we hit the road.!

guess what? we performed a medley, and for the first song itself, the audience gave a roaring applause....needless to say, we got the first place!. (btw, my mates from my "outside" band were also competitng with us ;) )

i'm smiling as i write this, as i cant hide my moment of happiness and all that.....anyways,

its been a long time and i havent achieved any national fame.... :( i feel like im getting older by the day...... :( gotta do something fast....

anyways, sorry for the long post....just poured out some of my feelings and joy!!! :D

Sam.

Dont follow me....i'm lost too....

hey Dave,

could you edit my intro on page2 for me, I can't edit it since my screenname change made the old account dead...

just delete the line where I said I learned to arrange for 60 piece orchestra 'cause it's not totally accurate....I mean yeah, I did arrange for 40 piece bigband and 'technically' I learned enough about strings to do it for orchestra but I never really did get as far as doing full arrangements for 60 pieces...was silly of me to post that I did back when I first joined this forum

thanks

I would probably like to edit a few other silly things I said when I had that old screenname but whatever :)

Originally posted by Steve LeBlanc:

hey Dave,

could you edit my intro on page2 for me, I can't edit it since my screenname change made the old account dead...

just delete the line where I said I learned to arrange for 60 piece orchestra 'cause it's not totally accurate....I mean yeah, I did arrange for 40 piece bigband and 'technically' I learned enough about strings to do it for orchestra but I never really did get as far as doing full arrangements for 60 pieces...was silly of me to post that I did back when I first joined this forum

Will do.

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

What a great place for keyboard players. This is my first post and I'd like to introduce myself. I'm Johnathan from Lebanon, PA and I'm 31 years old. I've been playing piano since I was 7. We had an Electronic Music Class in high school. That really got me hooked on music and just gear in general. For the last seven years, I've worked in a full line music store in Lemoyne, PA. Check us out at www.wrays.com

I currently gig with my wife as a duo. You can check out our site at http://shueymusic.home.comcast.net I also lead worship at my church every week. Since I don't have a current drummer, I sequence all of the songs on the Motif ES7. I went to college for Music Education. I could not picture my life without music and mostly without the technology that gives a person like me a voice. I always had music in my head, the technology gave me a way to get it out.

Gear list...

Yamaha Motif ES7

---PLG-150-AP

---PLG-150-VL

Korg Triton Studio 76

Yamaha PSR3000

Yamaha P120

Korg O1/Wfd

Yamaha AW16G

TC Helicon Voice Prism

Mackie SRM450 x2 (Live Mains)

Mackie 1642vlz PRO

Mackie DFX12 (live Gigs)

Alesis Masterlink ML-9600

Sony MDS-E10

Alesis M1 Active

Yamaha MSP5A

Yamaha MSR-100 (Live Monitors)

HP Pavilion zv5034us Laptop

Tascam US-122

Cakewalk Home Studio XL

Yamaha Motif XF7 (On Order)

Yamaha Motif ES7

Roland VP770

Roland SonicCell

Sonar VS-100

Korg Triton Studio 61

MacBook Pro/Logic Studio 8

Edirol PCR800

Korg O1/Wfd (Still Kicking)

Yamaha P120

Hi everybody!

I´ve been lurking here on the forum for ages but never gotten to the point where introductions are made so now I´m gonna make one.

My name is Markus I´m 24 years old Finlandier.

I study pop-jazz music at the polytechnics/conservatory planning on graduating as a piano teacher 2007 autumn earliest.

At the moment I make my living doing occasional dance and background jazz gigging. Last year I started giving piano lessons so that is going to be a one of my main income sources in the future also.

I consider myself mostly as a pianist although I recently bought an Alesis ION which I´m meanwhile trying to figure out.

My gear is as follows:

a Yamaha p-80 stage piano &

Alesis Ion -virtual analog-

+ some computer based synth and audio software/hardware .

Anyways, I´m happy to be here (been silent too long) and hope to get great info from you guys and possibly sharing some of my opinions as well.

Cya,

Markus

Thanks to all the people who've taken the time and energy to tell us about themselves!

This thread is the second best resource we've got to getting to know more about the people who post here. The KC compilation CDs are still the best, IMO...nothing tells you about a musician like the voice of their music. ;)

dB

I have been lurking for many months. Damn! is that picture big enough?!

I live in NYC by way of LA, Boston, Kailua, San Antonio, Montreal; grew up in Toronto. I love synths. I love Paris and India kicks ass. I also am a lawyer. www.sharmalaw.com

I am really starting to get into Jiu-Jitsu (it's never too late I hope).

I have played live for over 20 years, and have played all over NYC in last 10 with rock, punk, jazz, techno projects. A pretty mediocre technique on the keys in a classical sense, but am imaginitive and am not afraid to take chances and knowing my limitations is the asset I work hardest on. I also produce. I know enough to get a pro to master when it really counts.

I will continue to get up there even though I am getting old.

Currently I have a ton of gear but probably not more than a bunch of folks here.

Instruments currently in play:

VSynth (great)

Monomachine (pretty cool)

Machinedrum (great)

Revolution (pretty cool)

Waldorf XTk 30 voice

JP8080 (it may go if the 2.0 vsynth os pans out)

Evolver x2 (great)

Poly Evolver (great)

Microwave I (great)

Extreme Lead with some extra rom in it

Korg Wavestation

Kurzwail PC88 (damn these keybeds wear out fast!)

Minimoog (Bob Moog signature edition St. Patrick 2001, green magic marker)

Pulse+ (one of my favorites)

XL7 Command Station with some various roms in it (best groovebox around)

MC-505 (coolest groovebox ever)

Electrix Repeater (Neato!)

Yamaha A5000 (great. Anyone want it? I never use it)

Notron (old style with updated rom)

Micron (best (inexpensive) synth ever)

Numark TTX (reverse timestretching, yum!)

Stylus RMX (wow!)

Live (its cool but too much like a mac . ooooh no he di'int!)

Sonar

Acid (of course!)

Secret Kickass Invention (you will have to catch me live to see it)

Leaning on wall or in closet for another day or sale:

ASRX (sentimental value, underrated)

Fizmo (cool but not for me, for sale)

K5000 (very cool, maybe sell, maybe not)

uQ Keyboard (will sell, freakin over accelleration on the pots. One day I was cursing them, the next day they were . . . poof!)

AX-80 (why bother, will give to grandkid)

A80 (may come in handy, or not, will sell, any takers?)

Casio SK5 (from my dead hands . . . )

DX100 (I love max velocity=100 don't you?)

Instruments had and sold:

CS1x (great for its time)

MPC60 (amazing but better off in other's hands)

MPC3000 (ditto)

FS1R (great but can be reaquired)

Hammond M3 (want it back)

Clavinet (want it back)

QY70

Microwave XT

Raven Max (I miss it)

Instrument in another city:

Wurlitzer A200 (perfect for a cabin)

Instruments had which are misplaced(!)

Korg MS10 (damn!)

Yamaha YC20 (cool side to side keying vibrato)

Instruments coming soon:

Poly Evolver Keyboard #00008

Instruments tugging on me but man I would have to commit myself to synth rehab:

Cwejman(!)

Andromeda (?)

Spectralis (did anyone know there was a 48 voice sampler inside? -- but it looks onerous to figure out and remember -- like my notron)

What else? I've been consulting for Dave Smith on the Evolvers since the first one. Um, Dave Bryce has nearly put the name ADAM on my next $3500.00 . . I'LL GET YOU BRO !!!

I refuse to be open to closemindedness.

Ravi

p.s. at tune from last year (mostly wavestation, moog bass, evolver in the middle, some loops)

www.noision.com/pub/STS-107.mp3

A mashup for fun (bs copyright laws IMO):

www.noision.com/pub/MLK_Day_PE_meets_DB_meets_PM.mp3

Originally posted by Ravi Ivan Sharma:

Dave Bryce has nearly put the name ADAM on my next $3500.00 . . I'LL GET YOU BRO !!!

...and my little dog too? ;):D

Welcome to the forum, brother Ravi! :cool::thu:

dB

• 2 weeks later...
Originally posted by Jeebus ®:

Hey Ravi, are you the same Ravi Sharma that did those Evolver demos on the DSI site?

Originally posted by Ravi Ivan Sharma:

I've been consulting for Dave Smith on the Evolvers since the first one.

:idea:;)

dB

Well... since you asked... portions of this CV were pre-recorded (i.e. on Another Forum).

Significance of handle: Fulcrum is the current name of my project a/k/a one-man band.

Physical location: Connecticut, whose major exports are tobacco, smog, sleet, and corporate yes men for New York City big shots.

Recent accomplishments: keyboardist on one online collab at the aforementioned Other Forum, vocalist on a second, further work on the Fulcrum album... and contributing to KC 10 if I can help it.

Axes: composer, keyboards (oh hahahahaha really?), voice

Influences: (a tragedy in two acts)

Composers and songwriters from whom I have tried to learn something: Bach, Britten, Vaughan Williams, Elgar, Ravel, Stravinsky, Bartok, Schoenberg, Copland, Bernstein, Gershwin, Zappa, Ellington, Brubeck, Metheny/Mays, Lennon/McCartney, Pete Townshend, Joe Jackson, Keith Emerson, Tony Banks, Dave Stewart, Paul Simon, Joni Mitchell, Kevin Gilbert, Becker/Fagen, Difford/Tilbrook, and to infinity and beyond...

Keyboardists I have tried to understand (and largely failed to, thanks to rusty technique and lack of discipline): Emerson, Banks, Stewart, Mays, Brubeck, Bruce Hornsby, Bill Evans, Chick Corea, Herbie Hancock, Count Basie

Equipment: (a comedy in three acts)

--currently under hand--

-- hardware --

Kurzweil K2000

Ensoniq EPS

Carvin FX 1244 desk

Echo Layla 20

home-brewed Frankenstein PC (P-4 2.8GHz (800FSB), 1 Gb DDR SDRAM, 60Gb hd, etc. etc.)

-- software --

Cakewalk Sonar 3PE

Native Instruments Absynth, Battery, Reaktor, FM7, and B4

Arturia CS-80 V, Moog Modular V, MiniMoog V

numerous other VST and DirectX plugs and instruments

-- waiting in the wings --

old kit such as a MicroMoog, Chroma Polaris, Yamaha DX5, SPX90, RX11, QX21, and other fiddly things I can't remember now.

Hair: none

Eyes: hazel

weight: 13 stone

Scotch: shyeah right, I drink Makers Mark.

Edited (1) because on second thought I decided that me trying to emulate my heroes was the tragedy and having all that gear was the comedy; and (2) because I spaced and forgot to shout out Steely Dan.

• 2 weeks later...

Whats up everybody, my name's Pete. I'm 19 yrs old, a young'n, and I've been playing since 7.

Classicaly trained on piano, I want to learn to rock out. I also like to play a little gee-tar... I said a little.

I prefer the jam band scene, but I enjoy all types of music. You should see my iPod.

Gear:

Parent's Accoustic Kawai

Korg EC-120 (I think)

Roland RS-70

Nice to meet everyone in advance. Tom, thanks...

losers go home and cry.

winners go home and nail the prom queen.

best band in the world

Belated self introduction... Stefano "WildHeart" Lanzavecchia is the name. I am 33 years old, I live in Italy. My job title is Senior Software Developer.

Music has been my love for a long time. I started playing piano around the age of 12 (I know, I am a late comer) and I've had long periods of rest in-between. I studied classical, idled on pop, studied some more Jazz.

I consider myself a kitchen-sink when it comes to music though I have some strong dislikes, which include R&B for a style or the Hammond for an instrument.

Minna-san, yoroshiku onegai shimasu.

Wildheart'2k5

• 2 weeks later...

Well guys, I've been hangin' around for the past 2 months now and figured it was time to introduce myself, like jumping head-first into a pool. I have to warn you though, my story is nowhere near as interesting as any of yours have been. You all have so much experience; I've got virtually none.

I am originally from St. Petersburg, FL. Lived there all my life thusfar. In October, I moved to Orlando to start studying. I will be turning 20 in a few days, very young compared to most of you. I've loved music and sound ever since I can remember. I tend to have a rather unique view of the world because I've been sight challenged since birth. (I see about half of what everyone else can). During my senior year of high school I was fortunate to take part in an internship program sponsored by the school system. I interned at Tropicana Field, the stadium of the Tampa Bay Devil Rays in the A/V tech department. In addition to giving a hand to the house engineer during the games, I would be asked to set up and operate a massive PA and spin CDS before them. That was a lot of fun. During this time, I also was mentored by a freelance engineer who encouraged me to get cranking on a DAW. That was one of my best experiences. Musically, I sang in the choior at school for quite a while, even had a few private vocal lessons. Believe it or not, I just started playing keys 2 months ago! (Get ready to laugh), I'm currently learning some theory in school and practicing on a small arranger which I hope to also turn into a MIDI controller in the very near future. I hope to start studying with someone when I graduate from college.

Since October, I have been studying at Full Sail Real World Education, a specialty college that caters to the entertainment technology field. My degree will be in recording arts. I'm loving every minute of it. So I've just been sitting back and soaking up a lot of your chatter when I can in a few of these related forums. I enjoy all of your knowledge that you share. I only wish I could have started being a musician when I was little like a lot of you did. No one in my family plays any instruments though. So please pardon if I ask silly newby questions sometimes.

I'm a little pipsqueak, 4 foot 9 with long hair. Yes, I'm one of the few ladies, but I'm so into the tech side of things. (That's a rare case). Okay, enough blabber from me.

• 2 weeks later...

Well here is my story and I'm sticking to it :D

My name is Greg Lawson, I have played guitar since I was 9 . I'm now 45. After playing lead guitar in bands I decided I wanted to learn more on the keys. My son had taken off on our Yamaha P-200 and inspired me. At first it was a little slow but after about 5 yrs ,I think I have a good solid base of skills.

I like funky retro keys and spent most of my time learning from. Richard Tee , Micheal Macdonald, Billy Preston, Steely Dan ,Herbie Hancock and Joe Sample, Stevie Wonder, to name a few.

I finally got enough courage to try out as a keyboardist for dance band and actually got the job. I was even more suprised to learn I had got the job over two other keyboard players.

I really love the keys, My guitar has suffered,but I feel I can do so much more with the keys .

I hope to learn from the all the experience that is part of the forum

I currently play a Yamaha P200 ,and a YPP50 with a Motif Rack.

:)Greg

Hi everyone!

I'm 19, and I live in Bath in the UK.

I've been playing piano for a while now, occasionally guitar too. Keys wise I play piano and rhodes mainly, I love those acid jazz tones!

I also produce music in my bedroom, using a humble setup. I'm currently doing electronics and music technology at the university of York

Hello Everyone,

I'm Gwen and I am a musician and gearholic :)

I've been a musician since I was 2 years old when my mom bought me a toy drum. I beat a hole in it after a few days, then switched to playing the garbage cans in my back yard. Along the way I've studied and played clarinet, bassoon, drums, guitar, bass, harmonica and piano. I am focused on playing guitar and keyboards now. I absolutely love music and technology, and make my living as a Network Administrator in the Washington, DC area.

I spend most of my spare time in my home studio--"The Machine Room"

Keyboards

Yamaha PF80

Kaysound 49 Key Midi controller used for my Alesis Nano-Synth (remember that?)

M-Audio 49 Keystation for Reason, GarageBand, and other plug-ins

Guitars

Fender Custom-shop Japanese Tele

Fender Satin Strat

Yamaha Pacifica 312

Ibanez AF75

Ibanez AS73

Martin D28

Taylor 410

Esteve Fernandez Classical

Dean Exotica

Reedman Acoustic

Larivee Parlor Guitar

Amps and effects

Line6 POD

Line 6 DL4

Boss Compression Pedal

Boss Digital Delay

Boss Blues Driver

DeArmond Volume Pedal

Wah Pedal

DOD Metal Crunch

Fender Deluxe 112

Marshall 10" practice amp with effects

DAW

Apple G4 TiBook running ProTools M-box and GarageBand

P4 Noname desktop PC running Cubase and Reason

Outboard

Mackie 1202 VLZ mixer

Yamaha MS10 monitors

Alesis Nano Compressor

Lexicon Alex Reverb

Boss Para EQ

Gee, I should print this post out for insurance reasons! :-)

"Sometimes it's easier to buy gear than to practice..."

Lots of new folks. Welcome! :wave:

Gwen, you and Ravi should hook up and start your own music biz (beit a store, rental shop, studio, whatever). Between the two of you, you've pretty much got the entire stock of Sweetwater covered, I think!!

:D:thu:

--Mark

"I don't know anything about music. In my line, you don't have to."

-Elvis Presley (1935-1977)

I've been lurking for a couple months here now, and post on a few other keyboard forums, but I finally decided to register here a few days ago, since this seems like a great community for everything keyboard-related.

Anyway, I'm 21 right now, I started playing piano at 11, and added guitar a year afterwards. After 3 years of piano I stopped taking lessons because my schedule with school didn't allow me the time to practice anymore. Eventually I had more time in my schedule, but by that point I was in high school, and was playing primarily guitar. A few years later I switched to bass, since there were more openings for bass players around. I also dabbled in saxophone, harmonica, recorder, drums, and dijeridoo a bit (and still do).

I'd been playing bass in a church band for a few years, and in late October last year we discovered a new bass player, and decided that our sound could use some keyboards. I started just playing the baby grand, but eventually started using a friend's Motif 8. So since late October, I've been progressively getting more and more interested and involved in the keyboard world again. It's pretty much an obsession at this point. :)

My gear: (nothing much amazing here I know)

Keyboards:

Kurzweil PC-88 MX (this is what I started out on)

Casio WK-3500 (purchased recently for small settings)

Realistic ConcertMate 660 (basically junk)

Guitar and bass:

Fender deluxe Stratocaster

Carvin Randy Rhoads reverse

Yamaha FG acoustic/electric

Nagoya (Martin) acoustic

Ibanez SR-406

Fender Princeton 112

Boss GT-5

Boss DS-1

Danelectro chorus

Buffet Crampon alto saxophone, and I don't recall the models of harmonicas, recorders, penny whistle, or dijeridoo that I have at the moment.

I've been doing a lot of research on gear, and what I plan to get over the next year (maybe sooner if I can afford it) is, in rough order of when I plan to get them:

Yamaha Motif ES rack, maybe with two expansion cards

Alesis Ion

Clavia Nord Electro 2 73

Korg Triton Extreme 88 with MOSS board

Roland AX-7

Kurzweil ExpressionMate

Some miscellaneous things like new stands, pedals, maybe a MIDI wireless system, etc.

It's so good to be back in the keyboard world again. :D

A picture may paint a thousand words, but a melody can paint a thousand pictures.

Hello Hello, My name is Chris Rhees, i am 22 yrs old. I am a world traveling surfer and musician at heart. Can't make up my mind on what i wanna go to collage. More importantly i dont know what i wanna do with this life yet. SO at the moment i'm spending the summer in a Yoga asharam meditating , doing yoga and playing TOns of music. I amd primaily a keyboardist, playing piano since age 6 maybe earlier , getting harder to remember those days! :] I just bought alaptop and play to do some recording. I need a place to put my ideas on, play with them, and perfect them. I playied in band all my high school career playing trupet and french horn, gosh i miss play those. I took a few theory classes and OMG did they open me up. for the past 6 years i've focused on piano/keyboard. I Love it so Much. I've playied in a few bands. Playied out and absolutly love playing live. Theres something about a live aduiance and the Vibe. I live for the Groove, the moment it seems someone else is play through you and everything sounds So Tight.

I play jam, rock, jazz, blues, ragtime, ambient, just about everything. I like all the genre's and beleave the all add spice and flavor to your style. I absoutly love this forum and the Great helpful people visiting it. Congrats

I dream of some kind of ONline Live jam sessions. i wonder how to make it work and not lag. .. maybe in the near future.

GEAR

Roland Xp-80

Korg triton

baby grand

new lappy!!

(most important) My Mind

OM shanti , shanti , shanti

Chris Rhees

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'm a 48 year old woman from Albuquerque, New Mexico.cPiano lessons from the age of 6 through around 19 years old. Strictly classical, and not a lot of theory. I can site read music like I'm reading a book, but am not a lot of good with a lead sheet.

I just bought a RD-700sx last week. Its way too much for me, but I really wanted those good piano sounds and thee 88 weighted keys. I want to learn to play jazz. I have picked up some Ambersold books, and taken a few lessons. It was much easier to put new info into my brain when I was young and didn't have so much stuff already packed in there.

I have a Yamaha studio, and a Kawai grand also. My enthusiasm far outweighs my capabiliy at this point, and I am starting to rehearse with some friends that I met at a local jazz improv class.

Thanks for the site.

Hey all - I'll intro myself:

My Handle/Moniker was given to me in a Kansas City Jump Blues band (w/four a list horns). I don't know if it's meant as an ironic joke or not.

40+ age group (ok I'm old...)

I work as a software eng and play in various bands and an occasional session here/there. My last steady gig was as "the captain" in delicous - a nine piece disco/funk party band that always features two pretty hot girls.

I snubbed cover bands for a long time, until I saw how much fun it is to have everyone in the place on the floor and dancing.

My live rig(s) have varied, and had most of it stolen twice now, so I've got to try a few things.

Right now I usually go with a two organ clone rig, though considering moving back to an 88 controller for the lower manual (miss the 88).

Current rig:

1957 B3 (stays in a commercial studio)

Leslie 44w modded to 145 (Jensen 15" PLL)

Hampton Tube Preamp Leslie Pedal

Korg CX-3 V2 (had orig for 18 years)

Nord Electro (LOVE IT)

Studio Electronics ATCX two osc synth

Roland P-330 piano module

KBR-3D amp

Hohner D6 Clavinet w/Envelope Follower

Favorites I used to own:

Yamaha DX7

Roland D50

Prophet VS

Prophet S3000

Roland MKS-20 (several)

Kurz PC88

Kurz K2000R

Kurz K2500R

Several Rhodes Pianos

Several PRO3's (seem to work best with KB300's)

Cakewalk since 2.0 (when DOS was cool)