Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumours

Dave Bryce

No, not the Fleetwood Mac album...

What I'm looking for here is gossipy sort of stuff. Rumors that you may have heard about musicians, gear, manufacturers...anything...

For example, I heard that Jimi Hendrix was originally supposed to be a member of Emerson, Lake and Palmer. They were gonna call the group HELP.

Sounds ridiculous, doesn't it? It's true, though...a least, that was what I was told by Mr. Emerson when I asked him about it. I, of course, asked him why that band never saw the light of day...he responded with something to the effect of, "Well, we tried to make it work, but he and I kept getting in each other's way".

Somehow, I don't have a problem believing that... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/laughing/lol2.gif

...and then, of course, there's the infamous CP-70 manual story.... http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/wink/voldar02.gif

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Another hard to believe but true story:

When the Beatles were recording Sgt Pepper, the egos were starting to get a bit out of control. One tape of an Abbey Road session had this conversation on it:

Engineer: "For the Benefit of Mr Kite, take one."

John L: "That's BEING For the Benefit of Mr Kite, take one!"

It's one word John, get over it!

Bill Murphy

www.murphonics.com

I had a sound guy that toured with my band once who used to work for The Who. He was an engineer for them when they made decibel level history in Buffalo, NY. By the time he got to us, he was hearing impared. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/other/11doh.gif He told me a story of Keith Moon covering a crew member's toilet bowl with plastic wrap and leaving the seat down. Needles to say, the crew member was pissed off...er...on. <--sorry, couldn't resist. Anyway, he had tons of music business conspiracy theories. One that comes to mind was the intentional death of Eric Clapton's son because he was gonna change labels. He had very convincing evidence, believe it or not. Wish I could remember the details.

He told me a story of Keith Moon covering a crew member's toilet bowl with plastic wrap and leaving the seat down. Needles to say, the crew member was pissed off...er...on.

That's an old camp trick, like short-sheeting a bed. http://cwm.ragesofsanity.com/otn/laughing/yelrotflmao.gif

Isn't there a line or two in the Genesis song "Abacab" that refers to that very prank?

dB

Originally posted by Bauer:

This is beginning to sound like "Historical Rumors".... aren't there any *new* ones? :-)

Yes Bauer.. and it is not a nice one: The guys known as Milli Vanilli are NOT the ones who actually sing in the albums... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

..and I was recently told John Lennon was killed...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Two great stories I've heard from pro soundmen:

One guy was hired to run sound for Engelbert Humperwhatever. Engelbert apparently is deaf in one ear and half-deaf in the other. Needless to say, there were a lot of squealy feedback moments, Engelbert wanting it turned up and the sound system feeding back. Halfway through the concert Engelbert had the spotlights turn to the hapless soundman, and he introduced him to the audience as the guy who's "f***ing up the sound tonight". Nice! Immediately after the show the manager runs up to the soundman with a bus ticket and his night's pay, said Engelbert had hired someone to break his legs that night. Very nice!

The other story involves a prankster who mounted a tiny microphone into the end of a mic cord, then hooked the cord up to none other than Elton John's microphone. Elton complained it wasn't working, so the sound man goes up to the piano man, unhooks the cord, speaks into the end of it LOUDLY THRU THE PA, and said to Elton, "Well, its not the cord" and walked away!! I'm not quite sure why Elton was checking his own mic, its either from the early days or made up, but its a great story.

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

If anyone here knows this story to be untrue, please tell me.

I "heard" from a "reliable" source that Miles Davis was playing a show, Wynton Marsalis was the opening act.

During Miles' performance that night, Wynton walked on and started "jamming" with Miles. Miles stopped the band, turned to Wynton and whispered, "Get off the stage boy." There were enough mics on the stage that the audience heard Miles clearly.

Is this true? I don't know but it's a pretty classic rumour.

I heard that story when I was working for Miles...if I remember correctly, it supposedly happened at the Newport Jazz Festival in the mid-80's. Supposedly, Miles stopped the band, and Wynton just stood there, so Miles told him to beat it.

I wasn't there, though, so I can't verify that it's true.

dB

it supposedly happened at the Newport Jazz Festival in the mid-80's.

yeah, that sounds right, I remember my friend (well, actually a friend of my Dad) told me the story at the Playboy Jazz Festival in 1987, Miles was about to go on, we laughed about it a lot because we both hated Wynton's playing. I was pretty young then (15) so I couldn't remember the details.

I also got a chuckle later when I read Miles autobiography, he didn't speak to kindly about Wynton's playing in that book.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Dave, every time when me and my friend watch any of Mails Davis concerts on video we get the feeling that he does not like keyboard players a lot. Is that true?

Fat But Fast

Dave, every time when me and my friend watch any of Mails Davis concerts on video we get the feeling that he does not like keyboard players a lot. Is that true?

What makes you say that? I never noticed anything that would lead me to believe that this was true...especially when you consider that Miles had his own keyboard rig onstage - at least, he did for the tour I was with him (OB-Xa and DX7).

I might not be a good judge, though...I guess a lot of people thought Miles was rude - I always thought he was pretty funny.

dB

In all the videos I've have I see the opposite. Of course most of my favorite videos are from the earlier years where the piano/rhodes players were guys like Chick Corea, Keith Jarret, Herbie Hancock, etc.

I think it was clear Miles appreciated these guys.

ya know i just cant figure out how john mclaughlin played guitar with miles, he is SO white. i would of loved if miles and jimi had recorded something http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif although i never thought miles playing was the real talent behind what he put together, i like what's behind the trumpet a lot more than its squealing. jack d is a badass mofo.

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

BLASPHEMY!

I think you need to really listen to Bitches Brew again, the trumpet on that album is just amazing. And even better are the live shows at Filmore East and West, the Soprano Sax player (can't remember his name right now) could have stayed home though. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Originally posted by truth@jamfree.com:

During Miles' performance that night, Wynton walked on and started "jamming" with Miles. Miles stopped the band, turned to Wynton and whispered, "Get off the stage boy." There were enough mics on the stage that the audience heard Miles clearly.

Kind of harsh, even for a legend. I have a lot of respect for Miles. He defined a significant branch of jazz, he hired the finest and most creative side men, plus he had a very distinctive presence on the horn, something I think that Wynton, despite his virtuosity, has yet to fully develop. But Wynton beats Mr. D. a hundred to one in the technique department. Maybe Miles knew he was going to be upstaged by the kid, so he shooed him off.

But Wynton beats Mr. D. a hundred to one in the

technique department. Maybe Miles knew he was going to be upstaged by the kid, so

he shooed him off.

Sometimes yes but Miles was pretty incredible technically when he used to emulate Dizzy Gilespie with the Charlie Parker group. Those live radio recordings from the late 40s are just incredible, Miles could BeBop with the best of them. Also Wynton will never achieve the tone Miles got on the Birth of the Cool sessions.

Miles technique was suffering in the mid-eighties (at least from my POV) so you might be right in that context.

Archived