Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

How long has Phil Collins sucked?

• Replies 318
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Of course there is a lot of tension here. It's a thread about Phil Collins. It's like Chinese water torture. It's only mildly irritating at first, and before long you go insane. [Jacket Required????? :freak: ] Here's a little therapy to help bring everyone back from the edge. [i]Hendrix Lennon Mozart Chet Atkins Aretha BB King[/i] [img]http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/contrib/chapel/bigfrogs/bigrock.gif[/img]
So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

[quote]Originally posted by SteveRB: [b] [quote]Originally posted by lakeside studios: [b]A couple of people have said that he plays drums a bit.Well,Kenny G plays the sax.I rest my case.[/b][/quote]It only took 147 posts until someone said something really stupid. What month did this thread start sucking ?[/b][/quote]It probably sucked when I started it last September, but the worst thing I can think of is if Kenny G does a recording of Phil Collins covers. ;)

How about if Phil does a Kenny G tune? -- Rob Phil you bastard, you killed Kenny!
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by KHAN: [b]Of course there is a lot of tension here. It's a thread about Phil Collins. It's like Chinese water torture. It's only mildly irritating at first, and before long you go insane. [Jacket Required????? :freak: ] Here's a little therapy to help bring everyone back from the edge. [i]Hendrix Lennon Mozart Chet Atkins Aretha BB King[/i] [img]http://www.westwoodi.net/~smilies/contrib/chapel/bigfrogs/bigrock.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Chet Atkins sucks :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I've heard arguments for and against but the simple fact is that Phil Collins is a baldy Tory fucking bag-of-shite cocksucker with no songwritinging talent, a voice which sounds as if he's been strangled (now there's an idea) and who drums a bit. He can fuck off to the furthest ends of the earth and never come back as far as I'm concerned - and he can take his shite albums and stick them up his arse where they belong. Never let it be said that I'm sitting on the fence here :) [/b][/quote]In my experience the people who think like this are no-talent wannabes or 14 year old kids whacking off in their mommy and daddy's basement. They usually are in capable of writing a song to save their life. Let's hear some of your stuff and we'll see if you suck.[/b][/quote]No :p I wouldn't let either you or Phil fucking Collins anywhere near my music. You both suck :p The 'lets hear yours if you can do better' argument is so stupid as to be unbelieveable. 99.9% of the time there is someone on this planet who knows more about a particular topic than either me or you. Therefore, in your twisted little world you should never voice an opinion for fear that someone with a greater knowledge will come along and call you out. By this rationale, maybe you should be going now? The internet is a dangerous place, full of other people's opinions. Collectively, these people know more about most things than either you or I. Quick! run before I deny you the right to discuss the films of Andy Warhol! I bet I know more about that than you do :D
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by pauldil: [b]"If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking till you do succeed." Curly Howard[/b][/quote]I thought it was Linda Lovelace who said that? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b][QUOTE]Are you referring to Ray Cooper? I didn't see the prom but he's usually the percussionist at most of these things. Worked with Elton John and Eric Clapton. -- Rob[/b][/quote]I did a search on the name - that's him, thanks. Seems I have been listening to his work for years with various artists and didn't know it.
It's OK to tempt fate. Just don't drop your drawers and moon her.

Coupla thoughts about Phil: He has my eternal gratitude and appreciation for the cut "Saturday Night and Sunday Morning" from his "...But Seriously" album. This all-too-short 2-part monster groove with the Phenix Horns and a bassist never fails to get me pumped up. Wow! The huge popularity of "In The Air Tonight" spawned a hilariously clever parody some years later. This spoof has the long-anticipated tom-tom flourish repeatedly dragged out to at least twice its original length, thereby enraging the singer/narrator. Funny, funny stuff!

Jeff, our resident TASCAM guy said... Look, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a millionaire......... If you or anyone wants to pick out examples of real, actual Musicians (capital M on purpose) from today's selection of celebrities who are also millionaires, be my guest. What about people like Pat Metheny, Jeff? I know he's only charted once, and isn't in the Spice Girls, but it can be done....... Oh yes, and on the subject of Phil Collins, where I believe this all started, he WAS good for a while......I don't particularly care for him post-Hackett's departure from Genesis, but I sound a LOT like him when I sing and he's done a lot more with his voice and songwriting than I have with his voice and my songwriting . I believe we all owe commercial artists a little respect when they can parlay a little talent into a 20 year career.

Originally posted by Elliot [b]I believe we all owe commercial artists a little respect when they can parlay a little talent into a 20 year career.[/b] Very well put, Elliot. Where Phil Collins abandoned one audience, he has successfully collected new fans among every avenue he's crossed; if you ask me, that is the trait of musical genius. He has held a steady career in music; regardless of age or genre. I thought Genesis was killer power when they did the album with "Home By the Sea" on it; the whole album was a favorite of mine. As Phil Collins has mellowed with age, so have I, and therefore haved remained a fan. Some of us settle down, others will always be ramblers. Disney classics...... a good move for an artist looking forward to retirement down the road. After a while, touring grows old and tiring to a family man, show tunes pay the rent far beyond the spotlights.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b] [quote]Originally posted by dino321: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I've heard arguments for and against but the simple fact is that Phil Collins is a baldy Tory fucking bag-of-shite cocksucker with no songwritinging talent, a voice which sounds as if he's been strangled (now there's an idea) and who drums a bit. He can fuck off to the furthest ends of the earth and never come back as far as I'm concerned - and he can take his shite albums and stick them up his arse where they belong. Never let it be said that I'm sitting on the fence here :) [/b][/quote]In my experience the people who think like this are no-talent wannabes or 14 year old kids whacking off in their mommy and daddy's basement. They usually are in capable of writing a song to save their life. Let's hear some of your stuff and we'll see if you suck.[/b][/quote]No :p I wouldn't let either you or Phil fucking Collins anywhere near my music. You both suck :p The 'lets hear yours if you can do better' argument is so stupid as to be unbelieveable. 99.9% of the time there is someone on this planet who knows more about a particular topic than either me or you. Therefore, in your twisted little world you should never voice an opinion for fear that someone with a greater knowledge will come along and call you out. By this rationale, maybe you should be going now? The internet is a dangerous place, full of other people's opinions. Collectively, these people know more about most things than either you or I. Quick! run before I deny you the right to discuss the films of Andy Warhol! I bet I know more about that than you do :D [/b][/quote]Sooooo Roggy boy ... apparently you can't write a song and since Phil Collins can you therefore have less talent than he does. And he "sucks".... hmmm... at least you're finally being honest. Is it fun when your mommy lets you hang here with the grownups?

[quote]Originally posted by Eliot: [b]Jeff, our resident TASCAM guy said... Look, there's nothing wrong with wanting to be a millionaire......... If you or anyone wants to pick out examples of real, actual Musicians (capital M on purpose) from today's selection of celebrities who are also millionaires, be my guest. What about people like Pat Metheny, Jeff? I know he's only charted once, and isn't in the Spice Girls, but it can be done....... Oh yes, and on the subject of Phil Collins, where I believe this all started, he WAS good for a while......I don't particularly care for him post-Hackett's departure from Genesis, but I sound a LOT like him when I sing and he's done a lot more with his voice and songwriting than I have with his voice and my songwriting . I believe we all owe commercial artists a little respect when they can parlay a little talent into a 20 year career.[/b][/quote]Eliot, Very well said. I don't like his later work at all but that doesn't mean he sucks. The people who like to throw that word around are usually wannabees who need to make themselves feel like they are "good". It's a matter of class.

It's wonderful to be young.....it means that a one-dimensional worldview can pass for an entire personality. To explain my point: most artists have a career sweet-spot when they're at their most creative, and a point at which they're maximising their earning potential. Sometimes these points coincide, sometimes not. Sometimes there is no commercial peak.Look at Todd Rundgren for an object lesson in snatching commercial defeat from the jaws of victory. He's someone I respect hugely, but boy has he done some **** stuff.I still respect him however. Likewise Phil Collins. Likewise William Orbit. Likewise Terje Rypdal (who he? if only you knew...), David Torn, Bowie, John Paul Jones, Madonna, Stone Temple Pilots ......... This list could go on forever but perhaps you're all having more fun with the "He's s**t" "No e isn't" style of debate. Unless you're familiar with an artist's entire body of work, your opinions are worth very little. Grow up and post responsibly or prepare to have your a** handed to you in a basket by the grown-ups in the forum. And I don't mean me. :freak:

[quote]Originally posted by Eliot: [b]It's wonderful to be young.....it means that a one-dimensional worldview can pass for an entire personality. To explain my point: most artists have a career sweet-spot when they're at their most creative, and a point at which they're maximising their earning potential. Sometimes these points coincide, sometimes not. Sometimes there is no commercial peak.Look at Todd Rundgren for an object lesson in snatching commercial defeat from the jaws of victory. He's someone I respect hugely, but boy has he done some **** stuff.I still respect him however. Likewise Phil Collins. Likewise William Orbit. Likewise Terje Rypdal (who he? if only you knew...), David Torn, Bowie, John Paul Jones, Madonna, Stone Temple Pilots ......... This list could go on forever but perhaps you're all having more fun with the "He's s**t" "No e isn't" style of debate. Unless you're familiar with an artist's entire body of work, your opinions are worth very little. Grow up and post responsibly or prepare to have your a** handed to you in a basket by the grown-ups in the forum. And I don't mean me. :freak: [/b][/quote]Excactly. If I had heard nothing from Paul Mccartney except 'Silly Love Songs' I might ignorantly say Paul Mccartney sucks as a songwriter. The fact is that he is brilliant as a songwriter but has written some songs that I don't care for. Saying he sucks because he wrote 'Silly Love Songs' is quite ingnorant to say the least.

"Sooooo Roggy boy ... apparently you can't write a song and since Phil Collins can you therefore have less talent than he does. And he "sucks".... hmmm... at least you're finally being honest. Is it fun when your mommy lets you hang here with the grownups?" Hell Dino. Well, you're right, I'm eternally sorry for expressing an opinion and I promise I'll try harder next time. I have to go now, my mommy says I'm not allowed to talk to grown ups without supervision.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

I don`t think that Phil Collins sucks as much as everyone here seems to agree. There is alot of JEALOUSY amongst musicians and I believe this is another case of it. There are many people here in this forum who are struggling musicians who despise successful musicians, let alone rich and famous ones. Phil Collins has definitely cornered himself but there is no doubt, he knows how to write a hit. Something we all wich we could do. Ernest

[quote]Originally posted by Rog: [b]I have to go now, my mommy says I'm not allowed to talk to grown ups without supervision.[/b][/quote]That's probably a good idea. Your mother is wise. By the way I'm still waiting to hear one of your songs.

Okay, here's reaching.... You sign a record deal that says you MUST write 36 marketable songs during the course of a three year multi-million dollar contract.... You write 200 songs during the first two and a half years... but your publisher says, "We still need 12 more GOOD songs to complete your latest release; what have you got?" Out of the 200 you wrote, let's see... probably about 25 of them that got canned had a good groove going like Home By the Sea.... your publisher says... "That's gotta go, you sound TOO much like Genesis; we want some individuality here!" "Inside Out" was a pretty good hit and opened the doors as a solo artist.... so you focus more on it.... you've squeezed out 24 GOOD songs according to your publisher and it seems the market is rapidly changing to where progressive is no longer in demand..... Your publisher tells you that you need to do something a little more like Julio Iglaseus (sp?) to keep the labels happy; seems to be the market right now. After getting ticked off about pouring your heart into 200 songs, and all but 24 get kicked out... you just through a shitload of "SUCK" together and your publisher says, "THAT'S IT!!!" AND EVEN MORE...... You find out that it OUTSELLS your previous works...... Well, I'd succumb to rolling out the toilet paper for mark that Phil has made........... Yet, I would not truly throw out the other stuff that I wrote from my heart; I would find a later point in life to self produce it, without the manipulation of the labels. The Labels predicted the market, or I should say "manipulated the market" but Phil's versatility has kept him afloat in an ocean full of sharks.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b] There is alot of JEALOUSY amongst musicians and I believe this is another case of it. There are many people here in this forum who are struggling musicians who despise successful musicians, let alone rich and famous ones. [/b][/quote]Oh, please. I could rattle off a list from here to the next page of rich, famous musicians whose work I love or at least respect. Phil just ain't one of them! Deal with it already! :D [quote][b] Phil Collins has definitely cornered himself but there is no doubt, he knows how to write a hit. Something we all wich we could do. [/b][/quote]I do not wish I could write like Phil Collins. Really. And I don't see why it's so imperative that I should respect someone just because they have a hit record. --Lee

Puhleeease, WTF was all that crap about let's be adults and respect some wanker who lucked out and met the right people at the right time. Phil Collins SUCKS and we can say that all day long if we want to. OK Hand me ass now.

[quote]Originally posted by Lee Flier: [b][QUOTE] And I don't see why it's so imperative that I should respect someone just because they have a hit record. --Lee[/b][/quote]Not because he had a hit record but because his body of work deserves a certain degree of respect.

I respect the art and craft of any musician that is proficient at music and has forged a strong unique identity. They do something that is FAR beyond the scope of the vast majority of hacks out there, myself included. Many can have a one-hit wonder like The Knack or CW McCall did, but to build a huge body of work that is respected by millions is a rare gift. dino, don't hold your breath for someone to show you their great MP3's. I'm sure if you looked for years you would find some songs that could match Phil's demos that were recorded in his home or The Cottage. Phil has "it" but some people are never going to give it up for him, the same way I will never concede that Prince has a shred of talent.....because the shred that he does have he ripped off from Jimi Hendrix :)

[quote]Originally posted by ernest828@aol.com: [b]I don`t think that Phil Collins sucks as much as everyone here seems to agree. There is alot of JEALOUSY amongst musicians and I believe this is another case of it. There are many people here in this forum who are struggling musicians who despise successful musicians, let alone rich and famous ones. Phil Collins has definitely cornered himself but there is no doubt, he knows how to write a hit. Something we all wich we could do. Ernest[/b][/quote]Ahhhhh...Ernest. :D Do you have little voodoo dolls of the people posting here, lying out on dollhouse leather couches, being psychoanalized? -Bobro

[quote]Originally posted by TheWewus: [b]Puhleeease, WTF was all that crap about let's be adults and respect some wanker who lucked out and met the right people at the right time. Phil Collins SUCKS and we can say that all day long if we want to. OK Hand me ass now.[/b][/quote]You can say whatever pleases you, but I suspect that your.....er.....agreeable demeanour will be winning you friends and influencing people all over the music business. You may be a great musician, probably are, but much of the luck you ascribe to Phil Collins in fact sprung from being sufficiently agreeable to be allowed by Mike Rutherford and Tony Banks to front a group that was de-facto theirs, after PG's departure. I know a little of their history, as it happens, since I went to School at Charterhouse in Godalming, UK, after them . One of my business partners in the UK also helped Peter Gabriel design and build parts of Real World Studios and helped David Lord engineer some of PG's earlier solo stuff. Phil is held in real regard by most of the folks I've met from this crowd, but not because he's had hits; rather because he is, above all else, a professional. We should all be so "lucky". There, I've been pleasant, now will you go and play nicely with the other children.

Archived