Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The "responsibility" to one's art

I've been reading the "Why do you do it" thread, and one of the respondents made a statement that has caused me many years of deep thought and philosophical discussion:

Chip McDonald - "I personally feel that if you can do something exemplary, it's your duty to pursue it in life."

What responsibility do artists have to share their craft with society? I tend to keep my music to myself, but I have had friends, family and even strangers who hear it tell me that I should be performing or making a living from music in some capacity. I have provoked incredulous or even angry responses when I say that I am content working on my music as a hobby rather than as my livelihood (which I used to do). Many times I have heard the "duty" comment.

Is it selfish to be creative and not share your creativity?

My apologies in advance if this topic has already been run into the ground.

------------------

What's on, your mind?

I'm not a "people" person, I'm a "thing" person.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"Is it selfish to be creative and not share your creativity".

Yes. And who are you being selfish with? In my opinion, yourself...as ideas need feedback...and a good bit of the joy in creating is bouncing your ideas off others. Others won't miss what they've never heard. But you'll miss the opportunity of experiencing the joy it brings them. And, if in case it doesn't bring them "joy" you'd miss out on experiencing that, too.

It's great that you want to make music "just for you"...but most of us desire some validation through others for our toils. And then, some are petrified (especially myself) that my wares won't stand up...won't hold water... Tough questions.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I don't think anyone has a *responsibility* to share their music with the world, no matter how good they are. In fact, I kind of wish certain artists on MTV would take a responsibility to *not* share their music with us! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Seriously though, if you consider yourself an artist, you only need to be true to yourself. If your true self says you should be share your talent with others, then go for it.

Good point about the validation aspect, Tedster.

I do let people listen to my music, it's just that I'm not motivated to disseminate it on a broad basis. This really ties in with Popmusic's thread about motivation to create music in the first place. I put a lot of heart and soul into my music, but I guess it is more like a diary to me, a way to "get things of my chest" without burdening someone else.

------------------

What's on, your mind?

Originally posted by RecreationalThinker:

I do let people listen to my music, it's just that I'm not motivated to disseminate it on a broad basis. This really ties in with Popmusic's thread about motivation to create music in the first place. I put a lot of heart and soul into my music, but I guess it is more like a diary to me, a way to "get things of my chest" without burdening someone else.

I used to want *everyone* to hear my music, and somewhere along the way I found out that's not really my goal. I think that might have happened when my taste in music started falling out of sync with what's popular. (The last time I checked, Brazillian music isn't being played on MTV... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/frown.gif )

I don't try to get into certain artists so I can act like a music snob or anything -- I just like what I like, and much of the stuff I'm drawn to is musically stimulating to me but isn't very popular. (Maybe it *could* be popular if there were more marketing dollars behind it, but that's another thread.)

When I was writing/arranging music with an *audience* in mind, I would often alter things -- not necessarily in a good way -- to try to conform to some sort of audience expectation. I'm not implying that's something that everyone who writes for a large audience does this -- it's just what I found in my situation. Since I've been writing primarily for myself with no notions of fame or fortune, I've found it to be extremely satisfying. It's kind of a cross between creative expression, therapy, and getting a self-taught master's degree...

Do you know how some people go to college in order to learn the skills to get a job while others go to college to enrich their mind and learn more about the world? I'm like the second kind of person when it comes to music and recording. I enjoy the *process*, the journey, and the learning end of things.

I'm not saying this philosophy will work for everyone, but that's what works for me. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

This message has been edited by popmusic on 06-19-2001 at 03:43 PM

Let me guess, Pop. They stopped liking it , right? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif (just kidding)

I use to hear the same thing all the time..."Yo dude, you gotta get OUT THERE"...

Problem was, I was out there!

Think any of these wankers would show up at my gigs? Oy Vey!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

In regards to my 'art', I have a responsibility only to myself.

Otherwise, I'd be writing songs for N-Sync...

Steve (not the noble sort at all...)

A composer and/or musician has a responsibility to him- or herself. Henry James said that you'll never be truly happy unless you reach your potential, so a composer must compose, and a musician must play to become self-actualized.

But I don't really think a musician has a responsibility to society. Even if your music is very good, the world will get along just fine without it. But YOU will not get along very well if you don't play it. So the primary responsibility is to yourself.

P.S. If you're one of those star trippers who need the adulation of adoring fans to find fulfillment, you should seek professional help immediately.

Originally posted by ricknbokker:

I use to hear the same thing all the time..."Yo dude, you gotta get OUT THERE"...

Problem was, I was out there!

Think any of these wankers would show up at my gigs? Oy Vey!! http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/mad.gif

LMMFAO.

i dont think you have any responsibility to do whatever you are good at and pursue it. makes things a little easier if you do but im the type of person who would rather do what im NOT good at [like recording http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif], its only when im learning that i feel a purpose in MY life. i have spent my whole life thus far doing so and have racked up a myriad of skills. most of which are applicable to other fields. why do you think so many musicians are graphic designers and programmers [and if you think there is no creativity in programming, you obviously havent done it... it is by far one of the most creative things i have attempted, something thats not only creative but ONE thing no matter how minor will cause it not to work]

what is selfish is others who EXPECT you to share you creativity when you dont want to [the ONLY form of intellectual property that is truely protected].

alphajerk

FATcompilation

"if god is truly just, i tremble for the fate of my country" -thomas jefferson

Most people who hear my music and ask...

"Why don't you do this for a living?"

Don't have a CLUE about the GRIND of the music biz.

For most acts not at the "star" level, making music for money is a hard, dead-end job.

During my college "bar-band" days, the crowds would get all excited and drunk, and at "closing time", head home to crash while WE were spending the next couple of hours tearing down, packing up, and dropping our gear and PA off... Not very GLAMOROUS at all.

And we quickly learned that any SKANK who got so sloshed that she wanted to "do" the band, (or any fraction of it), was to be avoided at all costs! ...So much for the "getting laid" attraction...

Plus, we got paid crap for all our hard work. If you count the time spent in unpaid rehearsals, (let alone personal practicing), setting up, playing, tearing down, travel to gigs, and so on... well let's just say full time "normal" employment makes a lot more economic sense.

Don't get me wrong. I LOVED being in a band. I've never felt more "in the moment" than when I'm up in front of a crowd making music. I still grab every opportunity I find to entertain my friends and family. I still play for myself all the time and imagine I will till the day I physically can't.

But make music my "job"... well that would just about bankrupt me, and maybe even KILL my love of it all... I mean if it's really a JOB, won't you sometimes HAVE TO instead of WANT TO do it?

Geez, imagine staring at my guitar and thinking... I DON'T WANT TO DO THIS!

...perish the thought...

so... the only "responsibility" I feel for my music is to make it. And only that, because I want to.

guitplayer

------------------

http://www.mp3.com/acousticvoodoo

Guitar Forum CD Info

http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/Forum19/HTML/000537.html

I'm still "guitplayer"!

Check out my music if you like...

http://www.michaelsaulnier.com

I wasn't really speaking in terms of one's "responsibility" relative to society, but from a purely esoteric self-realized point of view.

I can't say I believe in the Christian God, per se. I see indications of "over steady state" coincidence, things that are seemingly improbably in the Grand Scheme of Things that makes life for humans *potentially* "enjoyable". The other typical mathematical relationships found from cosmology down to quantum mechanics I suppose...

*Personally*, one thing has given me pause, and that's my ability to play guitar. Basically instantly, as in I was showing some friends how to play parts of Hendrix songs after picking up their guitar for a few minutes. I teach guitar, but what I teach isn't how I play: I just know where to go.

That's a curve ball I can't explain. My intuition is no doubt the result of cumulative past experience, but I don't have anything *exactly* musical in my past - my parents didn't really play instruments, for instance.

I would think it would be a more easily found phenomenon, but apparently it isn't - at least not in my 16 years of teaching and experience.

So one has to think "divine providence?". Regardless, I look at it from the adage of "you should do something unique or interesting while you're on the planet". I think to myself "If there is a "God", what happens when you die?"

ST. PETER: "ok, next.. hmm. Ok Mr. Smith... let's see.. we gave you the ability to cure cancer! Fantastic. So let's see, tell me, what did you do with your life?"

MR. SMITH: "Cancer??? But I was a very successful accountant!??? No one told me anything about curing cancer!!! How was I to know????"

Maybe Mr. Smith never played doctor when he was a kid, or never bandaged the neighbor's doggie's leg, or some such... Never had the switch thrown: "Aha! THIS is what I'm supposed to do!".

It's weird, but that's the way I felt the moment I picked up a guitar. It's still sort of surreal, like two different lives - I would NEVER have thought I would be good at guitar when I was younger, ever. Boom, just happened: "I know how to do this, this is easy".

So - I feel I can't throw that away. From an intellectual standpoint, I'm too stimulated as a music fan to see what can be created. To not play music would be like... living in a house with thousands of boxes, knowing some of them are filled with diamonds, but just never bothering to look. Too much fun!

ON THE OTHER HAND....

Just got an email from someone who heard me play a few weeks ago at a club... filled with all sorts of embarassingly complimentary praise. People seem to like it when I play. Assuming that's "true", is there an obligation when you probably couldn't do anything else that would yield the same appreciation? It's not a choice to me - but to go "ah well, I give up, I'm broke" and just try to make a lot of money doing something else.. I dunno. Seems very strange to me.

All of that type is just tripe: I've wasted some space on a server somewhere. Music is too much fun! I can't even believe I'm writing about it philosophically. Sitting here listening to something I did with a singer yesterday, over and over, working out an arrangement in my head - this is Big Fun! Why ask why?

BUT THERE *IS* A RESPONSIBILITY:

You're a human that consumes food, breaths air, interacts with other humans. What are you contributing to the equation that by merely being alive means you're being a constant drain? *Why should you be here?* More humans trying to do unique and interesting things would make the world a better place, maybe put a natural balance to the inequity of pay scales (should the work janitors, garbage men, etc. be as low as it is relative to what they have to do?) and the innate tension of modern society.

Signed,

I.M. Aloon

------------------

New and Improved Music Soon: http://www.mp3.com/chipmcdonald

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

I make my living in an office.

I play guitar very well, but I have no "responsibility" to be a performer.

Once I realized this, I was able to quit playing bars and wedding receptions, both of which I dislike. I had been performing with any and all groups available to me, only because I felt it necessary for my self-image as a "serious musician".

Now, I restrict myself to combos and venues I LIKE, and I play better than ever, and have more fun.

If I have a responsibility to SELL my music, then don't you have a responsibility to BUY it?

There are 10,000 possible answers to this topic -

Great responses, Ted, Chip, and Alpha. Laughing, laughing and more laughing.

As to responsibility. In a word, no. For me, In my heart, yes. We do have a responsibility to those around us to add goodness, in many forms, to the world. Leave it a better place, if possible.

Harry Chapin had a song called, "Mr. Tanner" about a dry cleaner from a small town who sings, beautifully. His neighbors insist he make a professional career of it, so he spends his savings travelling to the big city, renting a hall, and performing in public for the first time. In a spoken passage, Harry "reads" a 4 line review of the performance to music.

"Mr. Martin Tanner, baritone, of Dayton, Ohio... made his town hall debut last night... He came well prepared but unfortunately his presentation was not up to contemporary, professional standards. His voice lacks the range of tonal color necessary to make it consistantly interesting.

(sung slowly) Full time consideration... of another endeavor.... might be in order."

The last verse states:

"He went home to Dayton, and was questioned by his friends.

He smiled, and just said nothing.

And he never sang again.

Excepting very late at night, when the shop was dark and closed.

He sang softly to himself.. as he sorted through the clothes."

In the chorus', Mr. Tanner sings a section of "O Holy Night" over Harry's words.

"Music was his life, it was not his livelyhood.

And it made him feel so happy.

It made him feel so good.

And he sang from his heart.

And he sang from his soul.

He did not know how well he sang, it just made him whole."

If it makes you whole to play for yourself, or a few friends, or a concert arena, do it.

------------------

Neil

Reality: A few moments of lucidity surrounded by insanity.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Well... I'm with Dan South. I think we have a responsibility to ourselves to actualize our potential and become fully alive. I think the fact that there are so many miserable, power-mad, un-actualized people in the world has a lot to do with most of the world's troubles. Or, as Howard Thurman said to sum up my own philosophy perfectly: "Don't ask what the world needs. Find what makes you come alive and then go and do it. Because what the world needs is people who have come alive."

That has nothing to do with whether you make money at doing the thing you love or whether it is economically viable. That's a value that has been put on things by our society because of the unfortunate number of people who have not found what makes them come alive and try to use money as a substitute. Just find some honest work that will pay your bills, play your music for as few or as many people as you would like to, depending on what YOU decide would make you happy. And I agree, I do not like to treat music as a job, that kills the joy of it. If I make money at it, fine, but I'm not going to change what I love doing just to make money.

Don't let other people manipulate you into or out of changing or doing something YOU love just because THEY don't understand it.

--Lee

This message has been edited by Lee Flier on 06-20-2001 at 12:12 PM

Chip said...

>>>ST. PETER: "ok, next.. hmm. Ok Mr. Smith... let's see.. we gave you the ability to cure cancer! Fantastic. So let's see, tell me, what did you do with your life?"

MR. SMITH: "Cancer??? But I was a very successful accountant!??? No one told me anything about curing cancer!!! How was I to know????"

Funny you should mention that, Chip. I've often wondered...someone wins the Olympic Gold Medal in downhill skiing...they're said to be "the BEST skier in the world"...but, what if some poor kid on a farm in Mississippi has the ingrained talent to be far superior...but barely ever saw snow, much less a mountain, or could afford skis? Would that kid have the drive to find a way to become a skier? Probably not.

I know. I'm rambling...sorry.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Lee had a good take on it.

He is doing what he loves, so he may not be sharing the art, but the world will see the benefit of it, because he is fulfilling himself spiritually.

This results in a person that brings love and peace to the world, not strife and discontent.

I was inclined to agree that you have a responsibility to share your art at first, but Lee made me see that the benefit of his art can be shared indirectly.

Chip usually sums up a lot of what I think. His post asks the old question:

Am I my brother's keeper? I personally say yes, I am. I know that other will disagree. I believe in personal responsibility, but I also believe in the grand scheme of things we are all one.

Thanks for all the insightful comments folks. I agree with the self-actualization aspects of the discussion, and with the premise that if I am happy as a person then my happiness is what I would share with others. This is the stance I have taken over the years when confronted with this particular issue.

Perhaps there will come a time when I am ready to share the source of that happiness with others and put music out to a broader audience? I'm not afraid of criticism, rather, I am more protective of what limited time I have to pursue my craft. Thanks again to all of you who shared your time in order to share your take on the issue.

------------------

What's on, your mind?

This reminds me of the organized religion concept..."Now that I'm saved/enlightened/whatever, it is my duty to get the rest of the world saved/enlightened/whatever."

Nah, you don't have to do a thing if you don't feel like it. If you enjoy cooking, are you obligated to open a restaurant? If you like to fish, do you need to work at your supermarket's fish department? If you keep your vintage car in top shape, should you open a custom shop?

For some people, the answer to these questions would be "yes." For others, the answer would be "no"...maybe music wouldn't be as much fun if you actually became successful, and had record companies pushing demographics data at you so your follow-up could be successful.

To thine own self be true. If people are really concerned that you're not getting your music out into the world, hand them a final mix, and give them your blessings to promote it.

Originally posted by Tim Walters:

"You know, you can become a doctor and save people's lives, but for what, so they can listen to Pat Boone?"

--Scott Miller

Do you suggest we staff any performance of Pat Boone with EMT's with defibrulators to shock these people back to life? http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

What does this say about quality of life? (Living another day to hear Pat Boone.) http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Lee.. words to live by, definately.

Craig.. ditto. I always told my mother she should've opened a restaurant, with all the kudos she received for her cooking. Especially her homemade pizza & cheesecake. I've tasted only two that could top her cheesecake, Carnegie Deli's and a little Italian restaurant in Troy, New York.) She never did, I grew up with a stay-at-home mom, and still had the benefit of her cooking. But most of all, she's happy with her decisions in life.

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

I personally think you shouldn't take yourself too seriously.....your art, intellectual property, whatever, is just that. In the end you're still what you are.....just do the best you can, help as many folks as you can or like, and enjoy the time you have LEFT on Terra Firma. If it ain't fun.....I don't want to do it.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

Music is one of the performing arts. I believe it comes from from a communal celebratory impulse that humans all seem to share. Music without performing is an empty experience to me. I can only afford to perform occasionally now with the responsibility of a family but I still make the sacrifice to do it because the reward is great. It also reminds me what music is about. I think we've all been confused by the commercialisation of music. It's a shame that something so spiritual and basic has been trivialized by non musicians for profit. It is not a coincidence to me that someone who would perform his music for no one would also ask the question "does music contain emotion".

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

>> Is it selfish to be creative and not share your creativity? >>

No. It's the individual's creativity, or -- it is the individual who is channeling the creativity, for those who prefer to view it this way. In either case, there are many factors at play here, the least of which is the person's preference, whether they have other responsibilities (financial, familial), and various choices.

------------------

Ken/Eleven Shadows/d i t h er/Nectar

http://www.elevenshadows.com 4 music, travel, more!

http://www.cdbaby.com/elevenshadows

Presbyterians are a religious group who embrace the teachings of John Calvin who believed in predestination- that is that we aren't much more than puppets because we are predestined to do everything we are going to do. YIKES.

So there is the Presbyterian who comes out of church one Sunday and trips and falls down the steps. Picking himself back up after the fall he declares, "Man, I sure am glad to get that over with." http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

Responsibility? Sounds like some kind of religious guilt trip thing to me.

If you love to play, play. And others will be entertained, or comforted, or encouraged, even if the only recipient of your music is you.

There was a time in my life when playing music was probably the only thing that saved me. Other times I hated what I was playing and people were coming and thanking me for what my music did for them.

My wife tended bar for years. Many people left drunk. Some left their spouses. Some died. This would be true no matter who was tending bar. But, what gave her the courage to tough it out when it was the only income she and her daughters had was the fact that once in a while she saved someone from killing themselves or leaving their spouse or helped someone to turn their life around by talking them into getting help for their alcoholism. These times made it worth while.

I've come to view my playing that way. It's my job, my talent and/or gift and I hope it does for some what it has done for me. But I'm sure as hell not going to make a religious institution out of it. I'm just going to keep on enjoying that fact that I love doing it and I'm pretty damned good at it after all these years. Responsibility? I don't think so. Passion? yoobetchya. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

Originally posted by gtrmac@hotmail.com:

Music is one of the performing arts. I believe it comes from from a communal celebratory impulse that humans all seem to share. Music without performing is an empty experience to me. I can only afford to perform occasionally now with the responsibility of a family but I still make the sacrifice to do it because the reward is great. It also reminds me what music is about. I think we've all been confused by the commercialisation of music. It's a shame that something so spiritual and basic has been trivialized by non musicians for profit. It is not a coincidence to me that someone who would perform his music for no one would also ask the question "does music contain emotion".

gtrmac,

I have certainly given you the wrong impression about my music. I used to perform extensively, but I gave it up due to time constraints and a massive increase in familial obligation. I probably would have given up performing anyway since I was getting burned out on the whole schlepping from one club gig to another routine. Besides, I have a job which takes up a lot of my time, and I would rather spend what little spare time I have honing my craft and trying to better understand why music is so important to my existence.

I DO share my music with others. I collaborate with a diverse group of other musicians, and I occasionally sit in with one friend's band or another. My original question was whether or not I have a "responsibility" to be a performer just because I have a talent. You make a very good point about the "commercialization" of music, and I think you have hit the nail on the head as to why I got disillusioned about performing. My love of music, however, is undiminished. From the "spiritual" standpoint, I think music is as personal and individual as is a person's spiritual beliefs.

Regarding the "music and emotion" thread: I am VERY emotional about my music and good music in general. My question, phiolosophical in nature, was whether the emotional response resides wholly in the listener, or does it originate within the music itself. I constantly try to attain a clearer understanding of music in terms of how it applies to myself as well as to others. Perhaps with a better understanding of my own drives and desires I will be able to more fully appreciate what makes other people tick without being judgemental?

Thanks for your input.

Paul

------------------

What's on, your mind?

Thanks for taking the time to respond. I got the wrong impression of you after reading the two posts. I burned out years ago also after playing clubs for a long time. Luckily I was able to get back into playing and I was much happier with music than without it. I can certainly understand someone not wanting to be a professional musician as I said. I just couldn't understand music without any interaction with others. Either an audience or other musicians. Thanks for the provocative topics.

------------------

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

My Music: www.javamusic.com/freedomland

This message has been edited by gtrmac@hotmail.com on 06-22-2001 at 11:11 AM

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

Archived