Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Rumour: Alesis filed Chapter 11 - can anyone confirm?

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by handybrent@hotmail.com:

Hey people. Alesis was purchased by Numark, the cheesy DJ equipment company. GT has the Viper back, Heart has the drum kit line. Alesis is laying off as many as possible, and refocusing their product lines.

The lay-offs happened last month

Robert Morin

Still at Alesis

Brent,

While we appreciate your zeal at distributing information, correct information would be more useful.

Alesis is up for auction tomorrow. Numark currently has funded the bankruptcy of Alesis, but anyone can bid for Alesis tomorrow and walk away with the company. Part of the contingency, however, is that they have to pay Numark back what they have invested in the Bankruptcy filing. There are several companies that are rumored to have been eyeing Alesis, and these names stretch from ones like Roland to Digidesign and about everyone in between. Further, as with any situation like this, there are likely some vultures on the side that are sitting back anxiously awaiting to pounce at the first opportunity to pick up a "brand" either to sell of later or otherwise.

At this point Numark has expressed the strongest interest in Alesis, but it is by no means to say that the deal is done. The auction has not happened.

I am writing this to stop the spread of misinformation on these forums. I hope that this has been helpful.

Thanx!

Nika.

Seems like picking up Numark's tab on top of the price of the company would be pretty steep. I wonder if another company would want it that badly. Also, I wouldn't underestimate a DJ equipment company's financial position - DJ equipment is a very profitable and lucrative business.

Anyone care to cast a vote for which company they'd want to be Alesis' new owner? How about Midiman/M Audio? They already are doing a lot of things right, and could definitely benefit from Alesis' new industrial design group. The two product lines complement each other, too.

If it were a synth company, like Roland, I'm not so sure whether I like that idea. Look at E-MU and Ensoniq - what happened there (not much)? I like the fact that Alesis is an American company. I wouldn't really want them to fall under foreign ownership.

As far as I know Numark is loaded. Gemini for instance, is the 28th biggest music gear producer in the US, with an annual growth of 400%. There's a lot of money in spinnin' vinyls..

If Roland bought Alesis, Alesis would be gone faster than you can you "shit".. Roland does everything that Alesis does, and they would just close the company, so there would be no competition.

If Numark buys Alesis, I think Alesis will continue as we know it today. It's not going to become Numesis.. Numark used Korgs Kaoss Pad technology in one of their DJ-mixers, and they could just as well have used the Alesis AirFX, so a bit of "loaning" might happen.

I think Numark is mostly interested in expansion into other markets than DJ gear and getting Alesis to run seperately, as a solid biz.

I this is speculation of course. I have asked some headz at Numark, but it's my own speculations...

I'm sure morinix will tell us as soon as he can..

I met Jack O'Donnell owner of Numark. The deal will be finalized today in court. Numark's general plan is to keep Alesis whole and get the company back on track.

Robert Morin

From what I understand, it was pretty much a done deal on Monday - I heard that was the deadline for any bidders to make themselves officially known.

I've been told that this was a requirement - no one could just swoop in and unexpectedly throw a large amount of cash on the table unannounced. I guess that sort of thing just happens on TV http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe that it was Ben who told me that...

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

From what I understand, it was pretty much a done deal on Monday - I heard that was the deadline for any bidders to make themselves officially known.

I've been told that this was a requirement - no one could just swoop in and unexpectedly throw a large amount of cash on the table unannounced. I guess that sort of thing just happens on TV http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

Actually, now that I think about it, I believe that it was Ben who told me that...

dB

This is all true from what I heard yesterday from Jack O'Donnell. Any bids to be considered had to be submitted in writing by monday. It is a done deal guys. I'm waiting for my Numark patches to sew on my shirts.

Robert Morin

Still at Alesis

A Numark Corp.

Looks promising, good luck to you all at Alesis!

Robert, any news on the new comp & eq? When will they become available?

/Mats

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

I have a deeper respect for Alesis than I have for most (or all) of the other major manufacturers. The high-standard of quality they have always showed us, plus the ease of use generally associated with their product, and now the turn of direction with bold new designs, amazing new concepts and products, still coming with a reasonable price tag, always made me happy. In fact, I have several Alesis stuff in my studio and I think I'll take more.

Numark is NOT a cheesy company, for all I'm concerned.

I sell DJ equipment so please allow me to know my trade.

Numark was the first company to introduce modern, breakthru equipment in the DJ world, immediately followed by Gemini (which IS much cheesier) and Vestax (which is much more expensive). Numark products deliver. Their DM-series DJ mixers have a frightening EQ that totally collapses the signal under the audible, if wanted. I haven't found that feature in any other mixer so far. They have been first in bold designs with the Kaoss Pad /mixer hybrid, even before Korg itself, which is the very maker of Kaoss Pad.

But, besides mixers, CD and turntables, they don't actually make much more, they stick to their trade, and I haven't noticed any rapacious attitude until today, so as long as they leave Alesis be Alesis and continue being Numark, all is well and we're all happy.

Max Ventura, Italy.

Originally posted by soapbox:

Best of luck, Dave and Robert.

If you mean me, I've been ex-Alesis for almost a year.

I'm clean, man - I swear it...I don't even have to go to the Alesis Anonymous meetings any more... http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

dB

Not at Alesis

This message has been edited by Dave Bryce on 05-24-2001 at 11:07 AM

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Ok, so now for all of you hitting me up on HD24 and other new product release time frames.

Sorry but I really don't want to stick my neck out on a prediction for new product shipping dates. I am not really that close to the manufacturing operations here.

Suffice it to say that the production build of the new products is the prime directive here. I have heard time frames thrown around but I really don't want to post any of the projections.

Robert Morin

Still at Alesis

A Numark Corp.

Robert, good luck to you and Alesis/Numark. I own and use Alesis products every day. In fact, I'm wearing one right now...

Waiting for MY HDR24,

-David R.

(still) On The Moon

-David R.

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Oww.....MR. Bryce? Yeesh...

dB

Hey, bud, once you turn 40, there's no question about your "mister" status. Sorry if I've offended you, sir. I try to respect my elders. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff (seven years younger than Dave and loving it)

Originally posted by Jeff, TASCAM Guy:

Hey, bud, once you turn 40, there's no question about your "mister" status. Sorry if I've offended you, sir. I try to respect my elders. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/biggrin.gif

- Jeff (seven years younger than Dave and loving it)

Ok Jeff, I guess that I should change my moniker to Mr. Morinix. I'm gonna be 41 this July.

Dave, now that you have completed Alesis Anonymous admit it, YOU REALLY MISS THOSE CONFIGRUATION MANAGEMENT MEETINGS.

Mr. Robert Morin

Almost 41

Still at Alesis

A Numark Corp.

Archived