Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tsunami songs 1 to 4 - website issues

Keep the donations coming folks!!

I will reveal how much we have raised as we go along and also, I asked Paypal to ditch all fees but guess what, their not having it as it would mean we would have to downgrade our account to Personal and then only recieve direct payments via bank accounts and people registered with PP and no CC payments and we need people to donate in different ways.

I can't belive the audacity of these people and I have pleaded with them but its a no go, The fees stay! :mad::mad:

Any ideas anyone?

• Replies 90
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't see where it has a suggested donation. Is that missing, or am I just not seeing it? If there isn't one, may I suggest one?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. I sort of expected to see it on the "Get Music" page.

I really don't know what to put here.

Its written everywhere that we would prefer a donation/contribution and also we have stressed that our secure MP3 delivery isnt up so we are trusting people to give donations rather than just downloading the MP3 as after all, its just a popup and behind the page is song hense why it says to disable any pop up stopper.

We have to trust in Human morals I guess.

Great work everybody!

This feels like something that's simply on auto pilot as far as inspiring the urge to donate funds, at a hockey game the other day we passes around a goalie mask and came up with $4500 and the local team pumped in another $3000!

One small town, one simple request and a lot of great people willing to help.

This is certainly a fitting and beautiful contribution to the aid effort.

I applaud you all for your terrific efforts :thu:

I still think guitars are like shoes, but louder.

Shars,

I spoke with one of Vivek Tiwary's charitable organizations this morning to see if, in any way, they would possibly be interested in getting involved. Vivek is the founder of the web site "StarPolish" and is also a native of India (I'm pretty sure I remember him saying India, if not, it's somewhere thereabouts that he immigrated to America from.) Musicians On Call does not do anything other than send musicians to hospitals to bring hope to ailing patients and offer healing through music. However, the associate I spoke with told me that he would get ahold of Vivek and pass the information of the Face Of Friendship web site and would ask him if he would be at all interested in any way in getting involved with this project. Vivek has current status with most all the Majors. I gave them my contact information, and if you'd be willing to help come up with some suggestions as to how StarPolish might be able to assist along with providing me with your contact info; maybe we can get something even bigger rolling. PM me with any ideas and contact info if you'd like.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Shars:

Sounds like this little issue with Paypal is exactly the kind of press an organisation such as, oh, say...Paypal...might be a bit chuffed to have.

If you get my drift.

Just sayin'.

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

Shars,

I went ahead and uploaded a banner to the FOF site on my home page in the site this evening. I also followed up with an email directly to Vivek explaining a bit more in detail what I had discussed with his associate this morning. Someone attempted to phone me from "Out of Area", which may have been Vivek returning my call, but I was unable to cut loose in the business call that I was currently involved in when the call came in.

Also, I sent Jodi K. of Muse's Muse an invitation to get involved and provide exposure if she is interested. I hope that you don't mind if I invite the opportunities for the mega site owners to encourage their members to get musically involved as well.

As time permits, I'll send emails to Rob L. at VIP24 in London, Eric de F. at Music Dish, Lasse at WWenter in Sweden, Dominick M. at TheCelebrityCafe in NYC, Geoff C at Australian Music Info in OZ, Brian Farrish Radio, WRTN - The Pulse 93.5FM in NYC, and Brian W. of Just Plain Folks to see if they would like to get involved or provide a banner link to the site. All in this last group are persons that contacted me directly during the early growth of my web site and requested that I provide links to their sites; I obliged. I've kept very loose contacts with all, but perhaps they'll remember when.... and with reciprocate the favor with a link back to the project; especially with it all being for a good cause. Nudge me to remind me to write a note to see if Dominick at TheCelebrityCafe would be interested in writing a review on the project.... he used to work for Wall Street Journal, if not still, ya know ;)

Right now, I should be working on major paperwork for a career job assignment that's due tomorrow if I want to stand a chance at securing the detail opportunity.... look at what I'm doing instead :love: . Once I get the career job ppw out of the way, I'll be able to get more involved with things.... maybe, unless the job demands more input.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Ani.

You are a real diamond.

The more exposure we can get to the cause on both sides of the Atlantic, the better.

If we can get some people that have clout, the better it will be for us as one thing we don't need to be seen as is scammers.

I have aritten to a few artists I know to do little write ups and also to link to us and I am also going to try and get a few people endorsing us in a public way.

Any help we can get would great!

One thing I would like to mention as a precautionary measure to protect against copyright infringement....

Special permissions must be obtained when using the published works of others; specifically, the photos from media agencies. The current disclaimer at the bottom of the page is not going to cut it if the agencies become aware of the infringement. Even during times of tragedy, corporate pigs yield to nothing... PayPal is a perfect example, as you are witnessing.

I don't want to pump up a lot of energy about the site and then have Associated Press come back with a lawsuit against the efforts of charity due to the illegal use of their property (photos). If indeed, persmissions have been obtained by the copyright holders, then special recognition must be notated; otherwise, it is assumed that the photos have been used without clearance.

Website, content & music © Copyright 2004 - 2005 Face of Friendship.ORG, All Rights Reserved

Photos copyright the respective owners. Translation service provided by Google.com

I've already contacted Vivek and Jodi, but I will hold off a bit on contacting the rest until the use of photos by large media agencies have been resolved. ALL of those I have mentioned are established publishers and are professional journalists. As do I know special permissions must be obtained and notated, so will they; that was the very first thing I noticed when I tapped into the site. I have personal connections to this forum so I recognize that Phait is young and eager to please, but the integrity of this project must not be blemished by failure to secure the use of ALL things. When other professional journalists, especially those in NYC, begin taking a peek at the site to see if they want to help out.... someone is going to take one look at those photos and cry wolf; they won't have the personal connections to the people involved, nor will they care about they good intentions behind the project if someone they know has affiliations with Associated Press. Some of the people within the group I mentioned will DEFINITELY know people at AP; without a doubt.

I totaqlly agree and have asked Phait to call them again as they did call him about the pictures but he was a sleep so didn't call him back.

Ani, please do send the emails out now as Phait is deleting pictures as we speak.

Thanks for your help girl and I have already spoken to the UK AP so heres hoping.

I will also find a different source for pictures now.

I am going to have a little rant here cause I can't beleive some people.

Ok, donations are donations but really, is it worth sending in $1.00 via Pay pal and by the time its converted to pounds, thats 50 cents already gone of it!

Why the hell have we got an appeal for donations and what we get is $1.00 and that isn't even worth sending in is it?

What is it? is it people that curious re the MP3 or is it that they think we are scamming or something.

I am in sheer disbeleif....

sorry, rant over folks!

Ok, solution, I am going to ask for some people here to put their names down to do a writeup for the website...

You can say what you want aslong as its to do with the Collab and also something to encourage people and underline that we are not scam merchants.

I cannot beleive that people even think a dollar can help someone in the big scheme of things.

Shars,

In looking at the big picture, PayPal should be operating on a percentage basis of the amount sent and not a per transaction fee; unless the rules are different for accepting transactions without an established PayPal account. Their 2.5 or 3.5 percent, whatever their fee, should not grab .50 cents out of the dollar donated; instead it would be something like 3.5 cents. If these people are NOT downloading the mp3 as the request has been a minimum donation of $2.80 been stated... EVERY PENNY COUNTS in a state of emergency and should be graciously accepted. My donation on the web site was only $5.00, but I have donated over $250.00 to other charities before this project finalized.

If you would prefer to set a MINIMUM transaction amount and not bother with the smaller amounts, I believe that PayPal should have the tools to do that. You could actually do two separate boxes, one that would allow you to charge a minimum for gaining access to the download page and one that would allow persons to contribute as little as a penny, if they are so inclined to do that. I think it would be insane for them to do that, but just saying....

In all the years I have witnessed collection teams such as Salvation Army with the Shiners that sit outside shopping facilities, Firemen that stand on busy street corners collecting, McDonald's drop box beneath their drive thru window... and all other organizations that do collections for charity........... NEVER have I seen any one of them reject even the smallest of contributions. It may be all the person has to give.....

I think what I said was taken in the wrong context actualy and came out wrong as its been a bloody long day!

Its not so much if someone makes a payment of a dollar but the way Paypal seem to be taking the dam fees aswell as the way the exchange rate makes the dollar donated look like its worth nothing.

I spoke to PP yesterdayn and no matter what I said, they refused to quash fees even for a charitable cause and its got me fuming as we are losing i would say 20% if not more in their fees in total and then when I have to transfer the cash into a form i can send over to the DEC as they dont except PP so this means me transfering into my account and then paying it over with my card to the DEC.

THe $ agaibnst the £ is very week and when you pay a dollar say to me, i have to change into Pounds which means we are getting 50pence for every dollar raised....makes no sense and then you take out the fees that PP is asking, its beyond a joke.

Absolutly, every penny counts be it a cent or a penny and your right about that Ani but what I cant understand is how PP can charge such fees and beleive me, I have been over this with them time and time again and they are not going to step down.

I have been told that i could have a personal account with them and not be charge the fees but this was my company account i set up and converted over for this fundraiser so I can claim the tax against what goes into it and donate that to when the tax returns have been sorted and we get our rebate.

I think i put it wrongly actualy so sorry for the misunderstanding but from where I am sitting with fees to taken from each donation made and then another fee at 20p per Pound to transfer into my account to pay over to the DEC, its dam well ridiculous but its all for a good cause so I aint going to grumble anymore except for the way PP are!

Every penny counts so sorry for the rant i had as it was out of order! sorry

:o

Maybe if there were another alternative for donations? I was going to go straight to DEC, but a) I wasn't sure if they would take my card, and b) I really didn't know the exchange rate - I could have found it, but they asked for a figure in Euros, and it was easier to just sign into PP & send the $$.

I still reckon there must be a form of payment where theres no fees?

I am going to do a hunt as its not making sense and also its eaiser to donate in Pounds than in Dollars as it saves on the exchange rates scoping up some of the dollars value.

We set it up so people can donate in Dollars but I did not realise that the exchange would diffrer alot.

Its now sitting at $1.00 is equal to 51p so thats a massive difference in the the big scheme of things....I am going on I know but every penny donated counts and wit PP its taken away fees that should not apply if you have a charitable cause.

Hey Folks:

Just a thought here...I think we should add not only credits, but some info about how this was done, including the method of passing stuff around for the "virtual band", the instruments and gear used, effects used, etc. We have to figure that a large percentage of the people who download the music will actually be musicians like ourselves, so I think that will help draw more people to the site for downloads.

It's really amazing to me that people spread out all over the planet managed to work together to produce something so high quality so quickly. There are major business corporations who can't collaborate this well inside the same building, let alone across geographically remote locations (I know this for a fact because I've worked for some of them! ;) )

Cheers!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Originally posted by Dave Sisk:

There are major business corporations who can't collaborate this well inside the same building, let alone across geographically remote locations (I know this for a fact because I've worked for some of them! ;) )

Cheers!

Dave

One of my first thoughts as this came to fruition was that we should be on The Apprentice!

Originally posted by Shars:

I still reckon there must be a form of payment where theres no fees?

I am going to do a hunt as its not making sense and also its eaiser to donate in Pounds than in Dollars as it saves on the exchange rates scoping up some of the dollars value.

We set it up so people can donate in Dollars but I did not realise that the exchange would diffrer alot.

Its now sitting at $1.00 is equal to 51p so thats a massive difference in the the big scheme of things....I am going on I know but every penny donated counts and wit PP its taken away fees that should not apply if you have a charitable cause.

Shars, have you looked into any US organizations? There might be one or more that would do this without the fees. Can you track where the donations are coming from? Also, given the current weakness of the US $, it would make sense to use a US operation would it not? The Euro and Pound would certainly go further.

Hey Folks:

Just a thought here...I think we should add not only credits, but some info about how this was done, including the method of passing stuff around for the "virtual band", the instruments and gear used, effects used, etc. We have to figure that a large percentage of the people who download the music will actually be musicians like ourselves, so I think that will help draw more people to the site for downloads.

It's really amazing to me that people spread out all over the planet managed to work together to produce something so high quality so quickly. There are major business corporations who can't collaborate this well inside the same building, let alone across geographically remote locations (I know this for a fact because I've worked for some of them! ;) )

Cheers!

Dave

Have you looked at the website this evening...look what we have had to add up...i think its self explaintory but it needed to be done to protect all of us from being called fraudsters.

FXConverter - 164 Currency Converter Results

Tuesday, January 4, 2005

1.00 US Dollar = 0.74256 Euro

1.00 Euro (EUR) = 1.34670 US Dollar (USD)

Median price = 0.74228 / 0.74256 (bid/ask)

Minimum price = 0.73616 / 0.73638

Maximum price = 0.74694 / 0.74722

Above is a conversion of the American dollar into the Euro. Without any fees taken by PayPal, the dollar only holds 3/4 the value of the Euro. This is today exchange rate.

Hey Folks:

Cheers!

Dave

Dave,

This is not a first in collaborations from remote locations across many geographical territories around the world. Look deeper into the CC forum here to read up on the Internotes I / Fantasy League project. It was not done in nearly as short of a time frame, but there was at least one page that described the technical process that went into the transfer of digital media across the miles.

Ani

Convertion into £ from $ is:

Live mid-market rates as of 2005.01.04 21:45:38 GMT.

1.00 USDUnited States Dollars = 0.530985 GBP

United Kingdom Pounds

1 USD = 0.530985 GBP 1 GBP = 1.88329 USD

see what I mean? the dollar is weak in Pounds but the other way around it looks pretty attractive to change into Dollars!

I hope the Euro comes in soon in the UK to save all this conversion stuff!

Archived