Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

free idea for a composition

It's been a long time since this idea occurred to me but it's (unfortunately) still potentially relevant/topical.

In German practice the note Bb is represented by the letter "H".

This is a carry-over from the way-old days when they wanted to use a particular mode that would've involved a b5th & they used this note a lot...

Anyhow, without delving too much into all that, my idea is that name Baghdad can serve as the motif of a tune: [b-A-G-Bb-D-A-D].

Try it , varying the octave pacement of the note sequences.

The exact nature of the rhythm, etc., can be varied, too, of course.

Have at it!

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I played around with it a bit on the piano today - I think it might work a bit better melodically than as a chord progression, but it is an interesting idea. I may have a go at doing something with it, but it probably won't be any time real soon. But it's a good little suggestion. :thu:

Originally posted by Philip O'Keefe:

I played around with it a bit on the piano today - I think it might work a bit better melodically than as a chord progression, but it is an interesting idea. I may have a go at doing something with it, but it probably won't be any time real soon. But it's a good little suggestion. :thu:

Indeed, it is a melodic motif rather than a chordal sequence...although that's only my version, maybe. (I try to keep to what I think is general Mid-Eastern practice of extemporizing on melody with minimal harmonic setting).

Others are completely free to set it as they wish!

& remember, folks, it can be different depending on how you place the notes in various octaves.

For ex:

(downward phrase)B-A-G

(up to)Bb

(up to)D-(down to)A-(up to)D

sounds different than:

(downward phrase)B-A-G-Bb

(upward)D-A-(down)D

Those placements can affect how one might voice any harmonic settings.

Play on!

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 years later...

Archived