Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantasy League CD Pressing?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As the completely unofficial duplicator and fulfillment guy, here on the boards, I thought I'd offer you all my services.

Having done the last bunch of "Keyboard Corner" comp discs and before that the FATCO comps at the "Studio Business Forum" I'd be happy to do the printing, duping and mailing for your comp as well.

What I do for dB over at the Keyboard Corner is a full CD Package. Tayio Yuden Printwrite disk (with printing on disk), Bi-fold 4 page insert/cover, U-card, Jewel case, mailer, and postage anywhere on the planet for 5 bucks a disk.

For a cheaper solution you could go with just a disk(with printing) in a tyvek sleeve, mailer and postage for 2.50 a disk.

This is essentially just over cost for me.

The system is top o' the line microboards Saturn II. Set me back 7k, but I do a lot of duping.

Just though I'd offer......

Bunny,

I got your Shorten'ed file...

Fly,

I PM'd you with my addy...

All,

I can vouch for the good work on the

FATCO CD projects that jackpine did...

His printing on the disc looks great...

I wouldn't mind sending in $5 to cover his costs...

Or we could save a little money

and go with the Tyvek sleeves,

and do the other graphics online so that

we could each download, then print out,

if we wanted to have a full jewel case package...

Thanks,

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Thank you for your kind offer JackPine, and indeed some of us may take you up on the offer for small quantities.

However, no intentions to rain on anyone's parade, as I feel that jackpine has made a very kind offer to assist. I don't mind $5.00 a disk for perhaps a few disks, but if this project evolves into anything more than just a few discs, the pricing is not anything to brag about compared to commercial manufacturing companies.

$5.00 a disk might seem like an awesome price to pay for the talent being offered in the compilation of Artists/Engineers involved; one thing is being forgotten though.... NONE OF THE ARTISTS OR PRODUCERS ARE BEING COMPENSATED in this $5.00 fee. jackpine may only be recovering those expenses he has exhausted, but in a business sense of the matter, $5.00 is not that great of a price. Large CD manufacturing organizations that purchase mass quantities of blank media discs receive distributor discount pricing that allows them to sell for lower costs, and yet still keep their profit margin healthy. Hence, this allows the production companies and artists to purchase higher volumes for distribution and sales and allows them to keep the cost of the media down to where it is affordable to the buyer, and yet they can still earn a profit.

Here is a listing of some CD Manufacturing Companies: http://musicbizbuzz.net/recordindustry/mastering.htm

Hell, DiscMakers will burn single copies with a full blown insert for near the same price, plus postage.

http://duplication.discmakers.com/servlet/DuplicateCDView?pid=046&lid=0018

50 copies with full blown art and packaging would run $3.61 per disc; of course these would be shipped to one address and postage would be applied. The average single CD in jewel case costs a little under a dollar for postage; the purchase of a bubble mailer might add another $0.50 each, if bought in bulk supplies.

These are SINGLE UNITS from one of the bigger names in replication services.

There were other manufacturers that I accessed that were running specials for 1000 CD's with full packaging for $1000.00; it would be recommended to check to see what types of media were being used for production..... but.....

All I'm saying is, this needs to be shopped around unless folks are happy just getting a few disks at a time and are not seeking to market the product outside of the forums.

As I've mentioned to my SOMA team members, this "International Digital CD Compilation" is something that we could seek investor interest in. I'm out of time now, but it would be best to determine if folks want to seek a market for our works; establish initial quantities, target markets, and sales outlets... then decide if we want more than just a few copies here and there. If we can pick up the interest from investors, then we can shop for the best price for the best quality manufacturing. If jackpine is a contender with higher volumes in pricing, he's one of our own and would receive special consideration in the event of a close running race on price.

Hope no-one thinks I'm being too outspoken, just being very professional and seeking an avenue to where we ALL can get compensated for our efforts into this project.

When I responded to jackpine's offer,

I was only thinking about getting copies to all

of the participants + any other few interested...

I think Ani has thought of a larger potential

audience for our humble project from the very beginning...

I commend her vision and ambition...

I too think that many others would be interested

in what we've been accomplishing here...

Nearly everyone I've described the project to has been

very intrigued with the whole "internetional" aspect...

[Yes, I just coined that term... :P ]

These include friends & family members who

usually are not interested in the

nuts & bolts of audio production...

I think with the appropriate marketing,

our project could be desirable to CD buyers...

I'm not exactly sure who'd want to deal

with all of the ensuing logistics, though... :confused:

We could just get copies made for the

various Team members and call it quits...

Or we could pursue a larger listenership,

blaze new trails and see what happens... :cool:

Peace and Love,

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Just a note on the whole potential media interest in an international collaboration. You never know, there may be such interest. I also know from bitter experience that things don't always work out well in that sphere.

I won't / can't go into detail but I was one of 20 or so people who created music using Rocket Network that involved a one-album deal with one of the major labels. There WAS interest there, but that was in 1998 from memory, and the process used was a lot more 'newsworthy' (as it involved us all jamming in close to real time together to create the music) than what we have done. There were interviews on MTV, assorted tech shows etc. To cut a long story short, the album never went ahead because the 20 people could not agree on terms.

This in no way detracts from the brillaint thing we have been involved in (it's easily the musical highlight of my year), but just wanted to flag the challenges :)

There WAS interest there, but that was in 1998 from memory, and the process used was a lot more 'newsworthy' (as it involved us all jamming in close to real time together to create the music) than what we have done. There were interviews on MTV, assorted tech shows etc. To cut a long story short, the album never went ahead because the 20 people could not agree on terms.
Nursers,

Although having 20 people jamming in close to real time is impressingly newsworthy, please don't discount the process of digital technologies and potential innovative developments that could arise out of the accomplishments being achieved with proper exposure of our efforts. As I've told my team members, I'm not talking Major Labels, I'm talking Wall Street and the Progressive World of Technology.

Of course, the second part of your quote "To cut a long story short, the album never went ahead because the 20 people could not agree on terms" is where I see a potential for hashap and could become a stumbling stone if not resolved prior to soliciting for interest in investment.

I've continued to stay focused on this factor, and I've pondered just how this will resolve itself with as many people that are involved. I know that for the remaining SOMA members, if it were merely our players pursuing a full deal; the participation has been very balanced. Bob, Brett, and Dan all three have expert skills in engineering and music arrangements (as well as creative abilities). Wrave has been a backbone in support for the use of FTP and digital file transfers, and has provided complimentary music pieces with "not so common" instruments that add depth and beauty to the harmonics.

When adding multiple teams and players, the divide becomes a lot more complex. It's one thing to enjoy a CD compilation for the sake of MusicPlayer.com interest where everyone gets together in a virtual setting and hangs out jamming together and gets to listen to the results on a CD that will never see commercial distribution or airplay; there's not much to deal with in legalities. It's an entirely different subject when efforts are rewarded by profits; buddies often become bloody rivals.

My thought would be to solicit the project as the Inter net ional (good one Bob) DigiProject with the know fact that all teams were a band within themselves that will possibly complete a full CD release of their team songs; premarketing to provide exposure for those teams that wish to do a full CD of their teams songs. I know that I would love to see a full CD of SOMA tunes in addition to the CD Compilation.

Also, I would want the songs of SOMA's that are included on the Compilation CD with other teams to remain exempt from any restrictions that would prohibit using the songs on our own full release of a CD. I think that all teams and players would probably agree that, although their teams' songs were submitted as a part of an international project compilation, their contributions to the project would remain separable from any exclusive ownership rights relative to the collective release of the Fantasy League Project CD.

Yes Flyscots, I think LONG TERM and I play the entire game of Chess with each move of the game; I do not play it one move at a time. I build contingencies for every possible failure with a net to catch the fall; a negative will often spin off into a very positive direction with careful planning. I don't often lose at Chess, as it is a game of precision skill and calculated moves rather than a game of chance.

On the flip side of the coin, I suck at romance and love.... I can't determine the outcome of my moves and how the other person will react to my actions; there are no rules and no guidelines so I have to rely on impulse and spontaniety... Did I tell you that I SUCK at the game of happily ever after. :D Well, they say "Lucky at love, unlucky at cards" Well... my love life stinks so I might as well shoot for the moon. :thu:

Originally posted by WOW:

Bob (20/20),

My final wav for Strip Down has been put in the mail to you. Let me know when it arrives.

Wow

Thanks, WOW...

I will...

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

• 2 weeks later...

I just wanted to bounce this off yall...

I think some potential listeners of our final CD

may be "misled" about its contents if it is

titled: Fantasy Leagues CD (or thereabouts)...

I do realize that this was the "model"

for the project from its inception...

And I think that this should be explained in the

liner notes and/or on any website that may appear...

But I think it could be confusing to someone

that has no idea what we've done here...

I guess I'm proposing something

simpler/catchier, more direct...

Like: [big & bold] CCC-CD

And subtitled: The Collaboration Corner Compilation CD

Even that may be off-puting to all those

that are unaware of our humble Forum here...

Should we consider a title that's more evocative...?

Like: WebSongs (or Song Web for that matter)

Subtitle:

A Collection of music composed and recorded

on the internet by teams of

musicians from around the world

Just tossin' out some ideas...

Whatchyall think...?

Bob

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

Bob,

And All other teams, the way that I would like to see this worked is as an International Project generated off of the SSS and Collaboration Corner that entails a multiple group of bands, that is EACH IN IT'S OWN ENTITY, that joined together to compile a global project. Songs will be produced on the songs with contributions from individuals groups (bands) participating in the project. With possible full CD's from each band to follow. If the CD were a pilot; it could be the foreground runner for every band participating in the project.

I like the idea of the Collaboration Corner CD "Project Fantasy".

Archived