Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So it's like October tomorrow....

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Aw git tae phuk!

Shut up will ya SOMA! Be patient!

We'll give ya something to listen to just to prove we're doing good. We're not finished yet, wanna read the reasons again? No, well tough: I have been busy and have nowhere to mix at the moment; a guitarist is working away from home and hasn't been able to work on the project, same with my co-manager; our singer has only just got his computer back up and running after some MAJOR problems that included the loss of some of his family's very important work.

Unlike Anifa, I didnt want any team member to miss out no matter what the circumstances. We have delayed in order to have everyone involved as much as possible.

We are all having a great time with this collaboration though, the results will show this.

John

Originally posted by flyscots:

Aw git tae phuk!

Shut up will ya SOMA! Be patient!

We'll give ya something to listen to just to prove we're doing good. We're not finished yet, wanna read the reasons again? No, well tough:

Just dates please.

Unlike Anifa, I didnt want any team member to miss out no matter what the circumstances. We have delayed in order to have everyone involved as much as possible.

John

That's a cheap shot. Had we known that EVERY other team was going to blow the completion date, we too could have included members who had gone astray, and showed up at the last minute. Each member in our team had equal opportunity at the outset of the project to run with the ball.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

I suppose I'd better jump in here and say, yes, one team only made the deadline, but there are other teams very close. As bunny said, no-one is getting paid, and the realities of life do creep in.

I see collaboration as a little like software development: you can be 110% assured that deadlines will creep.

Thanks nursers, put best just like a moderator should.

Dan, it was not intended as a cheap shot. Maybe my post was harsh, so I apologise.

For me, the important thing was that everyone on our team, Double Post, had fun being a part of this project. I did not and do not want to push people over the edge by demanding that they work for me NOW because I understand that, as nursers said, the realities of life creep in. Its not that members went astray. We have great communication and know when someone is not going to be available. We try and work around it as best as we possibly can, but everyone's real lifes & real jobs come first.

What Mr Wow will post is not a finished piece, but we have decided that we will share it with you for your listening pleasure. (hopefully)

IF there was money involved then a deadline would be important. However, this is supposed to be all about fun. Fun has no deadline.

Go and have some fun

John

Dan, Chris, and Everyone else, (I apologize in advance for the long-a$$ed post FLY)

Members of SOMA, at the risk of offending, I would like to intervene here. I don't want to cause any hard feelings, and I am only trying to mediate among members of my team as a business professional.

Dan, with the utmost respect for your contributions to this project, I'm going to defend SOMA's guitar players for the moment.

During the first three weeks of the project, immediately after the draft, there were concerns of getting the foundation tracks down for song one. I had uploaded the rough version of HATM with my arrangement, and then afforded you the opportunity of rewriting the music and laying down the foundation tracks.

While awaiting the foundation tracks for song 1, Chris had inquired about laying down some guitar licks to your Draft Pick Profile submission sample that I had put up, along with other's submission files, in the FTP space for everyone to get an idea of what each other was about. It was at "MY" direction that Chris did not proceed to work with that track, as it had been discussed among managers that no ONE person should be allowed to hog the spotlight. I had suggested that other team members consider developing some tracks for song 2; but it was not a direct assignment at that point.

The entire project, at that point was resting on the input of the initial tracks for song 1. You had been distracted with the installation of a swimming pool and had not realized that no one else could build parts without the foundation of the song first being available to work with. Immediately, once I made you aware of the delay, you jumped right in. But still, there was a conflict between the vocal pattern and fluency of music that you and I needed to work out while heading into week four.

I had confided my concerns with Bob about the need for working on two songs simultaneously and had expressed my serious concern for the lack of progress and the time elements involved earlier. I wanted to make sure to allow, at that point, my "one and only" engineer ample time to mix and master the projects.... AS MIXTERADER HADN'T CHECKED IN YET!!! At first Bob felt a need to stay with one song from start to finish and I respected his position.

Once Bob voiced his opinion of time elements, I then stepped back in and began to get very direct in telling players my expectations. Mixter had finally shown up and entered into the picture, and although I had drafted Mixter for his mixing abilities, he came through with a call for guitars when I was calling GUITARS for HATM.... I love the guitars he played!!! Prior to that, none of us were sure that Mixter was even going to show up, but when he did, it was with flying colors.... as did YOU when you and I finally got the details hammered out between music composition and vocals; I love the arrangements that you put with it... they blew mine out of the water.

I'm very proud of what Brett contributed, and I'm very proud of what YOU contributed.... Bob and Wrave were both jewels throughout the entire project... in expertise, moral support, and participation from start to finish.

But........ Chris had been a very patient man while awaiting input so that he could add his parts and had I given him the go ahead to add guitar tracks to the foundation track that later became the roots to En_Transit, he might very well have been able to have found the time to enter his tracks prior to all the personal issues that later developed. I would very much have liked to have heard what Chris would have came up with, because I was highly impressed with his abilities and I knew that I liked him from having participated in many forum discussions with him.

So happens, your submission file turned out to be the foundation of song 2 as an emergency shift in direction when things were not progressing as they needed to be. By that time, Chris was having to shift his studio to another location so to turn his studio's space into a baby room for his expecting wife. I became aware of his dilemma after being a total bitch in demanding results, giving cutoff date for participation, and shifting into alternative plans for player contribution.

If you have ever had to tear your gear all down and TRY to find a hole big enough somewhere ELSE in your house.... while trying to paint and decorate and plan for a baby room, with a wife that was probably very PICKY as to how things were done.... and cranky too from being "THAT FAR ALONG" :D I can truly sympathize with Chris's situation. I hate moving my gear from one corner to the other of the same room.... LOTS of reconnecting wires; I can't imagine having to tear down the entire system, while having family priorities force your concentration elsewhere, and then trying to get things pieced back together in time to get a quality recording off to a mastering engineer.

Hell, I drove to Indiana to record at Bob's studio because someone laughed at one of my "ROUGH" tracks.... I hadn't taken the time to reconnect my gear from the last time of moving it, and just threw something together to get the idea across. I don't know about some of the rest of you guys, but when I move my gear completely, it takes me several days, if not weeks, to get everything back together and properly functional.... without distractions of building a baby room and pacifying a pregnant wife.

Chris...

I am truly sorry..... I was being a business professional with established deadlines, and not a person. I've worked too many years for the Government where a manager cannot not be sensitive to issues and when critical entry times are nearing failure; I react by natural instinct. I consider myself to be an effective manager, but not always a well liked person in some instances where it comes to getting a job done. It's not in my heart to be ill-willed, but it is in my business persona to be successful. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and accept my apology.

Same goes for Strongbad, who informed us all on the forum that he would be out the first two to three weeks of August and then return to add any last minute tracks. By the time Steve returned from his trip and was ready to jump in with guitar tracks, we had learned that Brett was heading into a lock-down where we needed to finalize tracks, where Brett went ahead and added the second guitar part on top of the original, to beat the deadline and allow time for mastering.

I did open the doors and divided the team into two parts and asked that the second half of the team to lay down the tracks to song 2 while the first half hammered out song 1... then to flip flop roles; but by that time, life had taken a spin for the other members on the team.

During the initial process of setting up FTP accounts and what-have-you, Chris, Strongbad, and Wrave ALL THREE were there contributing their knowledge about FTP file transfers and helping to tutor this project in a forward motion. In NO WAY do I wish to discredit any member of the SOMA team or neglect to give anyone credit for the contributions they DID make, nor will I stand back and allow other team members to point fingers without interjecting my perspective.

Between these three FTP experts, (Chris, Strongbad, and Wrave) they provided our team with the "Shorten" program and instruction on how to compress and decompress files.... they uploaded "WS-FTP" into the FTP space to make it easy for all of us to log in simultaneously, if need be, also they extended their time and knowledge by typing instructions on the forum as to how to operate the programs.... They uploaded text instructions for the programs they provided and made themselves available to answer any questions that any of us might have. They even offer to help assist B3_guy get started if indeed he needed the help, per my request.

The SOMA team is as a WHOLE, as I don't take credit myself for being the mastermind that made the whole thing possible... I couldn't have pulled any of this off without the contributions of each and every player on the team. I wish that Chris and Steve could have been able to contribute musically, but hey, I didn't contribute musically on song 2.... but I wouldn't say that I didn't work my butt off pulling everything all together.

To feel in any way that any of our members did not participate in the team project is completely inaccurate, as without the guidance of our FTP hosting experts, we might still be at square one in trying to figure out how to communicate the files. File transfer has been an issue with other teams.... This has been a full team effort and I'm proud to have been able to work with such great people all the way around.

Dan, I love you guy, and I hope you're not mad at me... because I really want to work on future projects with you, but Chris does deserve a bit of credit.... Techie Knowledge is sometimes what allows the show to go on and definitely deserves it's place in the credits.

As far as the other team managers that are harping on my leadership abilities and hard dictation..... I lived up to my commitments. As a whole, we established guidelines and deadlines; I lived up to those expectations. I have not discredited any of those that have not delivered, so why is it that some choose to make snide remarks about the fact that I followed through on what we all agreed upon?

As I had mentioned to members of my team, this project could've been the very beginning of something MUCH, MUCH bigger.... considering that my focus has been on Globalization for quite some time with my web site. With as many countries that had team players signed up to participate; it would have been Wall Street newsworthy. I have a few contacts that could've possibly put the word exactly where the project might have received major exposure.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Anifa, good journal!

I take back my paragraph beginning "Unlike Anifa"

I'm sure you understand my situation and the difficulties we are having, but I shouldnt have singled you out, especially not by name, so I apologise.

I actually enjoyed reading that long assed post Ani, I hope the other managers will be able to post stories like this about their projects. I plan to, but dont worry Double Post guys, you can all read it first.

You drove to Indiana!? Ha! That's nothing. ;) I mean it's really cool and everything, but... I drove to Chicago & met Pauldil - we thoroughly discussed plans & ideas. Paul flew from Chicago to Dallas & met SaltyTonk - they wrote some guitar tracks together. I drove to Seattle & met DJDM - we discussed the developement, breakdown & progress of his song. I'm about to fly to DC & meet Rim - we'll finish his guitar & drum work and hopefully mix.

Wait a minute, wasnt this supposed to be an online Collaboration!? Woops!

No hard feeling guys & girls. It's all about FUN remember.

John Scot

I can only speak for myself, but Ive had (and still am having) a blast working on this project. That was the main reason I wanted to participate - to have fun :) . Also, one of the best ways to improve is to play with people who can really challenge you. The guys in Double Post have definitely challenged me :thu: ! And the fact that I got to meet John and SaltyTonk in person made it that much better :cool: ! If theres another collaboration project after this one, I hope to be involved. There is so much talent on these forums!! After all, it was the first time that the majority of us ever did anything like this, we were bound to have a few challenges. Maybe now that weve all seen some of the issues, all the teams can come up with a list of common problems weve encountered and possible solutions to them or ways to avoid them to help future online collaborations.

Paul

A great idea from a great guitarist! :thu:

I hope that the submittance of 2 songs does not mean the end of Double Post or any other forum group. We may not be able to function as a full group all the time but a few of us could continue to work together, you (Paul) and SaltyTonk for example, Mr Wow & Rim, me & DJDM. Then we could combine later our efforts.

Just a little idea I have for the future of Double Post and the Collaboration Corner

Count me in for another go at it. I love the Collaboration Corner. I have enjoyed makin' music with DOUBLE POST. :wave:

This little undertaking we have done is the way music will be made it the future.

Well for the record, you can count me out of the next round. I was impressed with my team and had a great time but I'm really dissapointed with a lot of others here. If you make a commitment you should stick to it. We had LOTS of time before the deadline. Quotes like this really piss me off!

Regarding deadlines:

You PAY me, I make the deadline.

Otherwise, STFU!!!

Bunny, STFU?? Go FUCK yourself!!!

Later

Brett

Be a professional musician.

Or just sound like one!

Produce music with THOUSANDS of loops and effects.

Hey, Brett.

Would you like a little cheese with your whine? :P

Really, I am just SO ashamed for missing this deadline, I don't know HOW I can live with myself! Maybe it has something to do with the fact I've been busy meeting deadlines on projects for which I was handsomely PAID. Hmmm. Yeah, that must be it!

Heh-heh. Since I'm in charge of mixing and mastering my team's SECOND song, I think I'll purposefully delay it by a couple weeks, just to see if Brett's head explodes. :D

You still don´t get it do you? Its not about this particular deadline. Its about respect and an overall attitude. I don´t know you aside from your posts here and maybe its your evil rwun that I´m hearing, but how do you actually get people to pay to work with you?

BTW yes, some mancheco would be nice. And don´t forget the olives!

Be a professional musician.

Or just sound like one!

Produce music with THOUSANDS of loops and effects.

I still can't tell whether you're goofing off or being serious here, Brett. :confused:

I participated in this project to have fun, not to meet a deadline and be professional. And I am having fun with it. I don't even care whether anyone ever hears the song we're currently working on; what matters to me is that all the members of my team are having a good time writing and recording their parts.

I sincerely hope you had an enjoyable time working on your team's collaboration. It's unfortunate that you don't want to participate again in the future, but to blame other teams for this fact is just plain silly.

BTW, my "STFU" was not directed at any one person in particular, and it most certainly was not directed at you. I have no idea why you took such offense at that comment, and why you subsequently told me to "Go fuck yourself!" That was very rude and hateful, and FAR from professional.

But, you were just joking around. Right? ;)

Originally posted by flyscots:

A great idea from a great guitarist! :thu:

I hope that the submittance of 2 songs does not mean the end of Double Post or any other forum group. We may not be able to function as a full group all the time but a few of us could continue to work together, you (Paul) and SaltyTonk for example, Mr Wow & Rim, me & DJDM. Then we could combine later our efforts.

Just a little idea I have for the future of Double Post and the Collaboration Corner

Sounds good to me flyscots :thu:

I would love nothing better than people continuing to make music.

Brett,

Would you consider continuing to work on a full blown international project under my direction? One with hand selected dedicated engineers and musicians from around the world?

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Anifa, I thank you for your comments. I'm glad you understand what happened. I really wanted to be a part of the project, and I was really disappointed when things just didn't allow it in time for meeting the deadline. I get defensive - maybe overly so - when people start implying that I was just f*cking off, because that's not the case at all. So, I've jumped up in my defense about it.

At any rate, I still wish I could have done something, but I still am working towards other collaborations anyway. So at this point I'm willing to consider it water under the bridge. I'd rather make some music (which is the whole point of my getting involved anyway) than get into pissing contests.

By the way - I'm setting up an FTP server at my house for these projects, to avoid bandwidth issues. I signed up for an account at www.dyndns.org, which is a free service that provides DNS redirection to your home computer's dynamically-assigned IP address (The addy that your ISP assigns you when you connect to the Internet, for the less geeky among us).

You run their client, which tells DynDNS what your current IP is, and then the name you selected from their pool will point to that address. From there, it's just a matter of configuring the equipment on your end to do whatever - in my case, it will involve port-forwarding FTP services through my DSL router & setting up FTP services on my Mac. (If you connect directly from your computer then you won't need to do port-forwarding. I have a router to share the connection between all the computers in the house, so I need to make the extra jump.)

I'm getting something going with some old bandmates in California. (Bunny, you know who!) I'll let y'all know how it goes.

Gee, I sure know how to stir up the pot. :rolleyes:

I suppose the thing that bugs my ass about how this all turned out for SOMA with regards to the deadline (useless f%@%#$ word! ;) ), is that everyone on our team could have stayed with the project for the duration, had we had some inkling that no other teams were going to make the deadline. Don't get me wrong, I'm not mad that the other teams didn't make it, but we rushed like hell to finish, and in the end we didn't need to.

I can fully understand Chris' frustration (apologies), and was sorry that StrongBad couldn't contribute, but in the end, they COULD have. This is what pisses me off.

Will it keep me from doing this again? Nope.

I had a great time, and look forward to working with other people on this forum again.

I'm also looking forward to hearing all the tunes on a CD.

Does SOMA have time to do another tune?

Next time however, the first person to mention the word "deadline", will be publicly flogged, by Wewus. :idea:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Originally posted by DanS:

I suppose the thing that bugs my ass about how this all turned out for SOMA with regards to the deadline... is that everyone on our team could have stayed with the project for the duration, had we had some inkling that no other teams were going to make the deadline...Does SOMA have time to do another tune?

If you guys have the time/desire to do another, I'd look forward to hearing it. The tunes your team did are GREAT. :thu:

Archived