Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantasy League - Mastering the Damn Thing

Chris,

Since you are willing to continue this in public view and divulge details of our team project... then I'll share my views. I "WAS" trying to be cordial.

EDITED :wave:

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey, YOU were the one who started this in this forum. YOU made an accusation about me & my perceptions of people, while I was only offering to help. As for the project details, it would appear that you've let all the "secrets" out of the bag...

I'm not going to continue this here - but I will remind you that I DID keep up with the discussions, I DOWNLOADED the tracks to try to fulfill your requests, and when you felt I wasn't paying enough attention (despite the fact that I posted regularly in the project forum, and had told you from the beginning that I had very little time to devote to this project) you couldn't even bother to send a "what's up" email? :rolleyes:

As for your contention that I 'insinuated' you were a hard-ass - bull. I never said anything about you, and if I had something to say I'd say it. But not here. :wave:

Actually YOU were the one who started it by suggesting that people willing to host files really need do NOTHING, as it would all handle itself. LOL!!!

Okay, I'll remove MY comments so that no one else has the opportunity to see them, IF you remove THIS

Let's talk about my experience ......... And in the end my personal circumstances caused me to bow out.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Originally posted by ChristopherKemp:

Ani'fa - I don't know what the deal is with IUMA, but the only real consideration is available disk space & file transfer bandwidth.

Originally posted by ChristopherKemp:

As for 'watching like a hawk', it's not really neccessary to keep a constant vigil during the final process. It's fairly simple - X has a song to submit, they upload it. The designated mastering engineer gets it, and then it can be archived and/or removed. The End. No one else should need access to the file.

With enough people to handle the files then no one should have to go over their designated limit & no one has to quit their day job to monitor their bandwidth.

Nowhere do I see anything about "files handling themselves". All I said is that you don't need to sit there 24/7. :rolleyes:

Chris,

Fortunately, I doubt that anyone else had an opportunity to read the "secrets" since we were online simultaneously. I removed them instantly after reading your response.

When you cool down, maybe you'll remove your remarks as I have mine.

Not necessarily you, but people in general do not have a clue as to how much time the managers have devoted into this project. From day one of the interest expressed by Brakka, to Sylver joining the band wagon, to Nursers trying to keep the flame alive, to me volunteering to be the first manager to keep the ideas from being dropped, to the discussing what the focus of the project would be, to establishing the guidelines, ecouraging players to sign up, reading profiles, evaluating players abilities, draft picks, and etc.

There were major efforts put into this project prior to opening up for team player sign ups and draft picks where everyone else got involved. It took time to establish forums and set up FTP accounts for users. Brakka has been a jewel in providing, and maintaining a place for all teams to communicate in private; he helped me set my forum up and helped get me rolling on how to maintain it as well. Also, while coordinating team players and responsibilities, Manager discussions have continued in private through the entire process of this project.

Had it not been for wanting to get Nursers involved in this final process of wrapping the project up, I would have posted this thread in the Team Manager's Private Forum.

Chill out, people.

Anifa, you know I'm trying to help here like I always do- take a deep breath. No need to post angry stuff in a public forum and take it back later. There's no need for he-said-she-said stuff, just maybe take a day before posting a heated response. And like I said, gal- I'm just trying to help here, like always. Nice-guy Brakka. :)

Now, here's my thought on the cd mastering part:

It's too soon. I know SOMA is ready, and I am seriously impressed by that. That team deserves a round of applause, and I mean that. Making the deadline is HARD.

But everyone else is not at that stage yet. If all teams already had their tunes mixed, it would be easier (perhaps) to move onto that last step (the cd). Seven engineers (or teams of engineers) would have worked through the process and the ftp issues on their own team and be ready for working with the other teams' engineers on making the songs sound good together.

My suggestion here- and it's only a suggestion- is that someone could start getting the IUMA thing going- if we want to do that. As I mentioned earlier, the Keyboard Corner Comp used it, and I think it's really great. We could set that up, and when teams finish their songs they could get their final mp3(s) to whoever gets IUMA going. This is something that can be done now, as opposed to the cd mastering.

The cd mastering of course could use some thought and preparation, thanks for thinking about that Anifa. I'll just plan on hosting my own to send to whoever needs it for the cd.

And Thanks to both of you (Chris n Anifa) for posting details about what your team has been doing. I hope I can hear more about what & how all of the teams did things (minus the arguing). Think I'm joking? Sarcastic? You're wrong.

Now stop fighting. What are you, a bunch of Ernests? :P:wave:

I apologize to the rest of the group for this. I think that what this conversation degenerated into was inappropriate for the thread, although I stand by my statements. Nowhere did I say anything about what the Managers were/were not doing - I merely stated what I consider to be the fact that file transfers need not be an albatross in the closing stage of a project.

That this was taken as some kind of attack is curious and unfortunate.

I'm sure you are all DYING to hear my view on this :)

How bout you managers have a discussion, relatively quickly, on the private forum if need be. Decide amongst yourselves (majority rules) as to how it will work - IUMA, Anifa hosting, whatever. Then we just stick to that.

Then let me know and I will help where I can.

:thu:

Brakka,

You, better than anyone, know exactly what I'm talking about in time commitments that have been required by ALL managers. I give you a LOT of credit for setting up the private forums, including mine, and volunteering to host the others on your site. You are VERY MUCH a team player, and I would be honored to work on a project with you at any time, as I know how committed you have been.

You also know the discussions that have taken place in the Manager's Private Forum relative to teams needing places to upload files and all of the teams progresses or lack thereof, with supporting documentation as to such. You probably understand where I'm coming from more than any non-manager members in offering server space and in offering to coordinate the file transfer.

To have it stated that all that the project needs to pull this thing off is the server space, is sort of WAY OUT THERE! That's where Chris's attitude that really upset me. I did remove the direct comments relative to SOMA team interactions within a matter of minutes in posting them, however, he chose not to.

As far as the multiple tracks that were downloaded, anyone with access to the forum would clearly be able to see that the tracks for song 1 were being established and communicated between Dan and myself. There was no need, other than for curious reasons, for others to download the tracks.

In realizing the time factors involved in getting solid tracks down for the 1st song, the project was divided into two smaller teams. Dan and I were hammering out details on song 1 while the other players were given the opportunity to lay down foundation tracks for song 2. I waited until half way through the project before I started cracking the whip.

ALL of the team managers are fully aware of how difficult it is to coordinate team players and get results. If we just toss up the server space with NO ONE monitoring what goes into it; well.............. it goes without saying what would happen if the managers withdraw their efforts at this point in the game.

I'm with Nursers on moving these discussions back over to the Manager's Private Forum, only with one exception, I would like to see Nursers to be allowed to gain access to the Manager's Private Forum as he is the Moderator of CC where this project migrated to from the SSS Forum, and was fully developed. Also Nursers has been in moral support of this project from the beginning.

:rolleyes:

The reason I posted the details about getting tracks was to illustrate the point about the difference between the traffic neccessary for tracking vs. mastering.

When you are tracking a recording, you lay down basic tracks. As tracks are added, usually each player listens to most if not all of what has been put down before. In the case of digital files, each stereo track that is added doubles the size requirement.

When you are mastering a final mix, then a single engineer gets a single copy of your 2-track mix, does the mastering, and returns it.

Yes Chris,

But Dan and I were still working on getting the FIRST basic track down with conflict between verse and chorus; we were actually WRITING the song at that point. It was very obvious that a solid foundation had not been developed, as it was early stages in the game.

Now Honey, I'm in a whole lot better mood today, can we kiss and make up? There is still plenty of time in the game for you to actively participate. Perhaps now that we are coming right upon or deadlines, the managers can open up the gates a little bit.

Some players on some teams have been no shows entirely, while others have sort of dropped out of the scene. I won't say just who needs what, but perhaps there can be a combined team effort among all teams to fill in the holes. You can get the jest of how things are going over in the "How's it Going?" thread. Some teams might still be able to use a couple of damn good guitarists.

StrongBad missed getting back in time from his time away, as he had notified he'd be away from August 9th to the 22nd; but Brett was going into a Lockout beginning the 23rd and had made a call for guitar solos to complete the mix prior to losing access. Time was needed to transfer finals back to Bob so that he could complete the mastering process. Finally, at the last minute, Brett went ahead and laid down the solo guitar tracks.

I selected both Yourself and Strongbad to my team because of your strengths and qualities in ability to compose and perform music; I still stand by that. Both of you guys can Playa Geetar! ;) So can Brett! :cool:

We can see what the other teams have to say about pinch hit batters stepping up to the mound and still getting a chance to play in the game so that we can get this project completed. If it's not allowed, then I would humbly accept your willingness to help other teams get established with FTP file transferring, or some other technical aspect. That is, if you want to.

Originally posted by Anifa:

I won't say just who needs what, but perhaps there can be a combined team effort among all teams to fill in the holes.

Just as well we are all adults here and don't start making double-entendres :)

okay as a possible solution to the space issues, .. I can set up an FTP server, and we can have up to .. ummm say 60gigs of space.

it will be on a ADSL line , and will up in about 1week +/- assumeing nothing goes ugly with work.

Kevin Nemrava

Originally posted by nursers:

Originally posted by Anifa:

I won't say just who needs what, but perhaps there can be a combined team effort among all teams to fill in the holes.

Just as well we are all adults here and don't start making double-entendres :)
I think this belongs in the "If you were gay, would you do all your gay team members" thread.

How about double-chickentendres?

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Now see dammit, here I am trying to be serious as a heart attack and you guys are cutting the cheese and stinking up the place. :D

Big K, 60gigs is a lot of space, but who's going to tend to it? Do you have the time necessary to coordinate the file transfers and maintain folders?

If Bob doesn't have time to master this project, I'll volunteer to do it.

It's really not that difficult or involved, if you have a good ear (and I have two of them!). It just takes one evening of careful listening and tweaking. And team managers could just send me a CD, or post their files online for me to download. No problem. There really doesn't need to be that much coordination going on.

So, let's just settle down, and stop stressing out over this project. Maybe take a break from it for a few days, if you need to, and relax. After all, this was supposed to be fun, right? It's not like any of us are getting PAID for this! :)

Or are we?

What the f*** do you mean I'm not being paid?

ANI?????????????

Wewus has us ALL on the bank role, just send him a check and he'll give us half back. :D

Seriously... I feel that I have been paid in having had the pleasure of working with the expert musicians and engineers that I was graced with.

WHEN... not if, we make some money off of our projects, THEN we will be amply paid. :D

Archived