Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Fantasy League - Mastering the Damn Thing

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dam Master J(DL)... :P

I don't know if anyone is already lined up, but if not,

I'll volunteer my services to master the entire CD...

As at least some of the tracks may already be

mastered before submission, I'd just be doing

the actual assembly and performing whatever little

adjustments to each track to get everything

to flow together in sonically pleasing manner... ;)

Bob Phillips

20to20soundesign

2003 or 2004?

But seriously - this thread is to discuss mastering the fantasy league project. All silly commenters will be censured with a solid slap to the head via email

I'd like to vouch for Bob (20to20). I've been in his studio and he's a professional all the way. He has good equipment, experience and know-how. I know he'd do a great job for this project.

Just my $0.02.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Edited at 9:30 PM 6/23/2003

If indeed I will be handling the management of the Project Master; I will have a few things that need to be discussed as far as coordination of files, responsibilities and expectations of team engineers submitting files, and etc. With involvement from seven different teams simultaneously, there will be very critical alignment necessary to transfer files timely, also to avoid penalties on over usage of FTP space, and etc.

Nothing has been lined up, and I don't want to sound at all aggressive in this matter to the other teams; but I would be happy for Bob Phillips (20to20) and perhaps MixterRader, and perhaps Dave Bryce to coordinate this final mixing and mastering process. B_3guy, Cereal, Sylver, Wewus-(Lee Flier?), Big K and Flyscots as well... will be fully involved in getting their teams files coordinated in regard to required file formats, maximum limits, and uploading into the FTP for the Mastering.

Also others that are equipped with full blown studios that I am not aware of or have failed to mention; speak up. I'm not sure who else has the Pro gear, so it would be nice to get a listing of those with skilled engineers on their teams who will be participating in finalizing their teams songs.

Bob and Brett both are already very familiar with the FTP process that SOMA had to use to stay under the file size limits and monthly disk storage maximums. Bob has volunteered to Master the Project; I would be the first to say YEAH!!! No, I guess Wrave already beat me to it. :D But, I'll be the first manager to say YEAH!!!

It's not up to me, but more so, the entire team of Project Team managers. I can only voice my opinions and recommendations and then allow a unanimous vote to decide.

It would seem to be reasonable for Bob to Master the CD Project since his time will soon be freeing up with SOMA. While other managers are still working with their Teams to get their songs together, Bob could be accepting tracks as they come in and applying them to the Master CD.

I would like to see Managers and Engineers from each team step forward to give their thoughts on how they would like this project to be wrapped up, discuss their time schedules, what they can contribute to the final process, and establish SOLID DEADLINES for the completion of this project.

Each manager and engineer will have important roles to play in coordinating files into the FTP transfer, regardless of who is elected to Master Engineer the Fantasy League CD Project finalization.

We know who the managers are, can we get a list from each team manager as to which team member will be handling the engineering of your team's files.

SOMA = Manager, Anita Kronk (Ani`Fa); Chief Engineer, Bob Phillips (20to20); Asst. Engineer, Brett Rader (MixterRader)

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

if you guys want I can master. I have less experiance then some others around here.

I am not opposed to the duty though. In fact I would enjoy it. If you guy would give me the opertunity. I will have FTP access, that is not a problem.

our first issue is to weather we want 1 person to mater it all, .. or each team to worry about its own.

I think that it would be neat to have 1 person to master it all. Kinda like, .. small gous make the song , and then all the small groups make the collection. Kinda heiracicial.

Kevin Nemrava

Originally posted by big K:

if you guys want I can master. I have less experiance then some others around here.

I am not opposed to the duty though. In fact I would enjoy it. If you guy would give me the opertunity. I will have FTP access, that is not a problem.

our first issue is to weather we want 1 person to mater it all, .. or each team to worry about its own.

I think that it would be neat to have 1 person to master it all. Kinda like, .. small gous make the song , and then all the small groups make the collection. Kinda heiracicial.

Kevin Nemrava

Kevin,

As your schedule is one that has required you to be in and out of access to gear, and in knowing the split responsibilities with Flyscots , who is also moving about, it might be better if you can concentrate on the mixing and mastering of your team's songs prior to attempting to take on such a feat of mastering an entire team project.

I think that it would be great for the engineers on each team to mix and master their own team songs, yet provide ONE Chief Mastering Engineer, and perhaps ONE Chief Mixing Engineer the files they need to complete the glass master. I think that it would be necessary to line up alternate Engineers, as what I did with musicians, in the event of unexpected circumstances that would impair the completion process.

As Bob has stated above:

As at least some of the tracks may already be

mastered before submission, I'd just be doing

the actual assembly and performing whatever little

adjustments to each track to get everything

to flow together in sonically pleasing manner...

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

I'm not really voting for anyone for anything in this post, but I know that big K and Dave Bryce have sort of, between them, done this here before. Get those guys talking, and if Anifa wants to order them around that's okay with me. :)

Originally posted by Brakka.:

I'm not really voting for anyone for anything in this post, but I know that big K and Dave Bryce have sort of, between them, done this here before. Get those guys talking, and if Anifa wants to order them around that's okay with me. :)

Brakka,

I'm not "trying" to order anyone around, but if I'm to host the files on my site, then it is going to require strict coordination of file transfer. I'm not talking about our cheap sites with HasWeb, but rather, I am using the server where I host my official web site. It's a more secure environment and also a WHOLE LOT more expensive to host.

While you refer to the above as "ordering people around" you must admit that my efforts have been result oriented as SOMA will be meeting the original deadline on schedule. I think that (I'm hoping that), although I may come across as direct, that the MAJORITY of my team players would agree that I'm pretty congenial to get along with and that I only press down when absolutely necessary to get results.

Without some sort of direction, this project could drag out until who knows when? I thought that the original plans, when developing the guidelines, were to establish deadlines so that people did not lose interest and so that they could fit the project into their schedules.

Some of my team members have been in and out, both with and without easy computer access as many of the other teams have experienced. Still, things have been coodinated to work around obstacles and effectively bring all elements together to meet the mark.

If everyone wants to use IUMA, and then just arrange it to be some sort of pot luck dinner style of process in getting files back and forth, that's fine with me. I'll kick back, relax, watch, and wait to see how effective the project goes.

Did anyone actually have any success with IUMA? Did anyone really utilize the service while trying to handle more than one or two .wav files or .shn at a time? We are talking some MAJOR FILE transfers when dealing with .wav and even .shn formats.

IUMA is geared for .mp3's and might tend to be a bit temporamental in handling such loads as to what we are discussing. We're not talking "work" files of degenerate quality, we are talking lossless file formats and MB rather than bytes. Although, I'm not saying that IUMA couldn't work as I have not dealt with them. I just forsee these type servers booting clients off or sending error messages when the storage capacity starts rapidly filling up.

I say "whatever" and if the other managers are not inclined to want the use of my server and my coordination of such, I'll be humble and withdraw the offer to utilize my FTP host. It would save me a LOT of time and I'm sure a lot of headaches to boot. I don't play games and I also don't commit myself to projects without being available to support and strive to meet all expectations accordingly.

If my team members grow weary in waiting for the Project to come together under the guidance of others, then they can let me know when they are interested in moving forward with our OWN full CD project. I would be honored to allow Bob the position of Chief Mastering engineer, and also have MixterRader Mixing close by. I've never worked with Dave Bryce, but I can certainly say that I "DIG" that voice of his that he used on "MoogMan of the Jungle" or whatever the title is. :D I'd enjoy working with him since he has great engineering skills as well.

I know Dave Bryce has had several CDs compiled on the Keyboard Corner and it would be nice to have someone with the experience and connections he's developed to take over at the final production point. This is a pretty big responsibility though and he may not want it. I've seen his struggles coordinating art work and CD burning but he's always been successful. He'd certainly be a great choice if he's interested.

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Ani'fa - I don't know what the deal is with IUMA, but the only real consideration is available disk space & file transfer bandwidth. MP3 vs. WAV has nothing to do with it - it's all 1s & 0s, and the computer couldn't care less what 'type' of file it is.

If you guys need space, I can chip in. My site's good for about 100MB IIRC, and I can set up FTP access for you.

Ani'fa - I don't know what the deal is with IUMA, but the only real consideration is available disk space & file transfer bandwidth. MP3 vs. WAV has nothing to do with it - it's all 1s & 0s, and the computer couldn't care less what 'type' of file it is.

If you guys need space, I can chip in. My site's good for about 100MB IIRC, and I can set up FTP access for you.

Chris,

Consider the fact that just ONE of our .wav files that were transferred during the submission of files to our engineers weighed in at 89KB, with other .shn files weighing in between 46KB and 75KB on the average. 100MB of space is not very much if not tended to with a hawk eye.

Two files simultaneously hosted on a server with 100MB could max out server limits while throwing the domain registrant into over-the-limit charges, violations in terms of service, and possibly suspension or permanent termination of the privilege of use. Try it on your freebie sites or your cheap hosts and see how long it lasts prior to getting warnings or nixed.

You may think that the only consideration is available disk space & file transfer bandwidth, but there is far more involved. If you fail to maintain the files that you are hosting and to abide by established policies agreed to with the server Host, then you are subject to the conditions resulting.

If you do not coordinate files, WHICH MEANS READING ALL COMMUNICATIONS RELATED TO THE PROCESS while monitoring site stats to ensure limits are not being exceeded, and you do not have someone calling out the shots as to what and when the next file should be that goes up; then you have major chaos and OVERLOAD!!! If it's ignored, it is not without consequence.

As I stated before, I couldn't care less whether or not I host the files for the compilation CD on my site; nor do I care if I am involved in the coordination of file transfers. I offered the space up and offered to dedicate the time necessary to coodinate and accomplish the transfer of files between engineers. Hopefully this can all be coordinated so that many can step in where there couldn't before. You would be very good, as well as StrongBad, and Wrave at providing details to those not aware on the use of FTP space.

I was indeed kidding about the "order them around :) " thing, I thought Anifa would get the joke and joke back :(;):):) I gotta remember to watch what I say.

Why do the cd filed need to be hosted? Were you guys thinking that someone would host the wavs and anyone that wanted to would download the wavs and burn their own cd? Do you know how much bandwidth that is going to use? A LOT! :D .

I mentioned IUMA because the Keyboard Corner Compilation uses it (with mp3 versions). b3_guy and Dave Bryce abviously have experience doing projects like this, so we can ask them what they did and learn from their experience.

But like I said before: I'm not nominating anyone for anything in this post, just mentioning that b3_guy & Dave Bryce have worked together on this sort of thing before, you might want to hear what they say.

Or not. :wave:

Originally posted by flyscots:

Anifa - calm down!

IUMA was mentioned not as a file transfer tool but as a site for us to host our songs so others can listen.

Oh, yeah. That's right. I thought we all knew what IUMA was- it was mentioned in a managers' forum thread.

So I guess you guys aren't really talking about "file hosting" for the wavs really- just putting them online so that the person(s) mastering the actual cd would have them? Is that right? If so, they wouldn't be online long, and would only be downloaded once.

But yeah, b3_guy and Dave Bryce have sort of done this before. Did I mention that? :):):):):)

Sorry for missing the punch and then sacking you :D After all this is a Fantasy League! :freak:

As far as hosting .wav files, I'm not speaking of hosting the entire project for people to download and burn their own CD's; not at all.

SOMA has used FTP space to transfer final .wav and .shn tracks from team players to the engineers. Tracks were requested to have click tracks prior to the start of the solo tracks so that the engineers could line the tracks up with the other tracks in mix down.

Having one of our players in Canada ( who is NOW currently in the US using portable gear), and one of our engineers in Spain; SNAIL MAIL was not the most convenient means for transfering tracks. International mail delivery has no guarantees, and when cutting deadlines, I didn't want to chance tracks getting "LOST OR DAMAGED IN THE MAIL" :D

I worked international mails for four years and dealt with Customs Regulations, small package irregularities, and damaged mails (CD's and cassettes are two of the top 5 most damaged packages received in both domestic and international mailings.) Also, International shipping rates are 10x higher than domestic.

The only time we used Snail Mail to transfer tracks is when DanS relocated from his home in Canada, out into the field (Job related) in the USA. He took his portable and used ACID to complete his foundation tracks to song #2. He snail mailed them to Bob, who in turn uploaded the individual tracks so that Brett could retrieve them to participate on the Mixing process for song #2. After mixing the tracks, Brett, uploaded his tracks so that Bob could complete and Master the entire process.

I have never worked with Dave Bryce although, as stated above, I said I wouldn't mind. Whatever the case, I don't want the abilities of Bob Phillips or MixterRader either one to go underrated. Both are EXPERT engineers with Professional Sound Studios; neither one have home studios or basement studios and both are well equipped to finalize any project. Team Work is a KEY WORD.....

Dave Bryce, Bob Phillips, B_3guy, MixterRader, and SoundScapes Studios (I believe he was in this project) are all very capable engineers and can perhaps be able to assist teams to get them where they need to be. Big K and Flyscots are aspiring engineers and can also be of assistance in helping teams get final cuts off of the ground.

Sylver has been having complications with his equipment, perhaps some of our engineers can step up and assist their team with getting tracks together.

Now is a time for everyone to come together to pull this whole thing off. I'm not trying to domineer this, but I just want to see the Fantasy League Compilation CD materialize.

I do get tired, AND CRANKY, but I'm committed to making this thing work.

Yeah John,

I have a tendency to EXPLAIN when I go on the defensive; when all is well or I'm not extremely sleepy with a need to stay awake, I tend to stay to myself unless I'm in the company of long term friends that I haven't seen for a while.

Credit the "breathy one" to me today.

Look, Ani - I never suggested that I would host all the files. I offered up my 100 MB to help with the space issues. I'm fully aware of how much space an audio file takes.

I still say that it's all about disk space & file transfer bandwidth. Hell, if I wanted to be the guy I'd set up my server here & give up several GB - no problem anymore. I think, however, that between the participants there is enough to cover submitting the files.

As for 'watching like a hawk', it's not really neccessary to keep a constant vigil during the final procezss. It's fairly simple - X has a song to submit, they upload it. The designated mastering engineer gets it, and then it can be archived and/or removed. The End. No one else should need access to the file.

With enough people to handle the files then no one should have to go over their designated limit & no one has to quit their day job to monitor their bandwidth.

Maybe each team can host their own, and if a team can't they can take Anifa up on her generous offer.

I've got ftp going for Polycow, but we're still pretty early in the process. :o It has been used, but not by everyone on our team yet.

Nice post there with the US mail opinions and the SOMA ftp situation. That's sort of the point to all this- finding solutions and writing here about it.

Edit:

Chris,

Shall I discuss how the SOMA project progressed??? You are pushing my buttons, first in Lee's forum, and now here.

You have not read any of the Manager's discussions as to the progress of each team, the pitfalls and setbacks. I HAVE READ THEM, although I don't always enter remarks after reading over in Brakka's forum. (Brakka, Perhaps I should leave a smiley face for each time I tap in over there.)

I get to see the frustrations, the snares, team fallouts, unity, and all else. BUT IT DOES TAKE TIME TO READ AND STAY CURRENT WITH EVENTS; the manager's have a private forum to stay in tune with. I have my profile set to automatic notification by email when new posts are added.

EDITED

:wave:

I know that there are other teams that have had complications in locating FTP space and they have also had complications in transferring files. Others have experienced difficulties with equipment or access of use by not having necessary tools available to them.

I'm very fine with every one hosting their own files in their FTP space, if they have it available to them, and I encourage that. But I also stress that if some that don't have the FTP access need space, I'll provide them some room but they will need to coordinate and respect the usage.

AND YES CHRIS, it needs to be coordinated! Even with everyone pitching in on FTP space, engineers are going to need to know who is uploading WHAT and WHERE it will be uploaded.

As I have stated in previous posts throughout this thread........ TEAM EFFORT!!! As far as I'm concerned, we will be one huge team after the deadline. I would love to work with Brakka and other team managers to pull this all together. It took several of us to put the rules together and coordinate the entire project; it will take the same to wrap it up and finalize it.

What I do know is that mastering the CD is much less transfer-intensive than tracking.

Let's talk about my experience with trying to keep up with the project...every time a track was added, the nature of the project changed. In my efforts to keep up with things I downloaded several tracks that ended up being either irrelevant or useless by the time I could get a chance to try and add something. This neccessitated my having to ask several times for an updated mix/guide track, especially because of your concerns about file transfers. On my side, a lot of my limited time was wasted with unuseable downloads and tracking parts that ended up being wrong for the track. And in the end my personal circumstances caused me to bow out.

Now, I'm not complaining about doing the FTPing. I did what I had to do, because I was trying to add an appropriate track rather than just slap something on it that would have ended up being out of context.

However, this should not be the case with finished tracks. Whether you have one or more people mastering the disc - and by the way, it really should be done by one person if you want consistency across the disc - all they should have to do is get the track, ask for a remix if it's not useable, master it, and submit it.

Now, as for your comments above: you don't need to be insulting when someone disagrees with what you're saying. You have no idea what I think you all are doing, and I'd appreciate you taking the chip off of your shoulder.

I have no desire to "push your buttons", but you seem to let them get pushed rather easily. My comments in the other forum were legitimate questions & concerns regarding the ideas that you were putting forth, and several others made valid points based on their professional experience as well. You were the one who felt the need to stand your ground regardless of the realities voiced by the others.

Archived