Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

what? no moderator?

Well, I know this part of the board doesn't get much activity... but today I notice Emile isn't the moderator anymore?

Anyhow, I'm still generating global music over at rocket.

I guess folks that play for a living aren't too interested in sharing their talents online. It took me a while to figure that one out! There was a post on the drum forum where somebody was soliciting for holiday drummers, boy did he get an earful!! I sure wouldn't mind getting $50/hr or more to do some bass lines! Anyhow there are a number of very talented hobbiests.

Cheers!

Dave

no matter where you go, there you are...

http://johnnypistolaband.com

• Replies 13
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hello Dave.

I don't know what leaded Emile to leave his gig as a moderator of this forum.

However we can mantain this place alive. ;)

If you requiere some dance drums or bass lines do not hesitate on asking :D I have not rocket tech, but a standard midi file will work fine.

mmm actually that was the problem here, being "limited" to a technology. We could make this bigger: instead of talking about this technology, we could call it "InteracTracks" and focus on sharing tracks, whatever the format is.

This should be the place to share a file, collaborate on a track of other person's music or listen each other's music for all of the MusicPlayer community.

well.. that's my point of view. ;)

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

Thanks for the reply Gus!

You said you do not have rocket tech. does that mean you don't subscribe to rocket, or haven't tried rocket?

I agree with you about sharing midi or other files to collaborate doesn't neccessarily require rocket network, but would take a little pre-planning and web,ftp, or icq transfer capability to be effective.

anyone else interested in collaboration?

Cheers!

Dave

Originally posted by BoldRuler:

Thanks for the reply Gus!

You said you do not have rocket tech. does that mean you don't subscribe to rocket, or haven't tried rocket?

I agree with you about sharing midi or other files to collaborate doesn't neccessarily require rocket network, but would take a little pre-planning and web,ftp, or icq transfer capability to be effective.

Dave

You're welcome Dave.

I have NOT actually tried rocket. I understand it is for CUBASE users, right? Or is it Emagic Logic?

My MIDI sequencer of choice is CakeWalk and for Audio I do ACIDize everything ;)

But Standard MIDI file sharing should be easier than what you mention. A simple e-mail will work pretty fine, those are very small files if they do not include Audio (of course, a Standard MIDI File is only MIDI Data :D )

I promise I will investigate what's this Rocket technology about. Sounds pretty promising... should be more popular.

Cheers !

www.guslozada.com

Hi Gus!

Rocket supports Cubase and Logic, and I understand ProTools TDM.

If you signup with Steinberg InWire, you can download a version of cubasis for free (doesn't save).

If you signup with musician.com you can download LogicRocket, it saves, but you're limited to creating 4 audio tracks, but can work with 16 audio tracks plus all the midi too.

If your running Logic you can't participate in Cubase sessions and vice versa, but if youve got a rocket enabled logic or cubase version you can run one or the other.

I'm running a mac, there isn't a free cubasis version for mac yet, so i'm running LogicRocket. I have cubasis-inwired loaded on my son's computer and have tried a couple of sessions with it.

I'll post a link to an mp3 file shortly...

Cheers!

Ok, here's an example,

A guy in Connecticut starts a session using Logic Audio Platinum with rocket power (the software that connects you DAW for upload/download/chat).

He lays down a stereo drum track and uploads to the server.

I download the session and listen to the drum track in LogicRocket. After a couple of times through I record a bass line. Once I have a take I like, I record a couple of acoustic guitar track and upload the bass and guitar tracks to the server. Then the guy in CT downloads the new tracks and adds organ, electric lead and rythm tracks...

I thought it turned out pretty well, let me know what you think....

http://www.tccaudio.com/mp3/endingreallysucks.mp3

Dave

Thanks for the info !

So are you sharing WAV's?

How slow is it tru a MODEM connection?

I'll listen the track you mentio. I'm sure it will be interesting !

Talk to you later...

www.guslozada.com

When running sessions in rocket, the tracks you record on a pc are .wav files, are then compressed using a rocket algorythm, and then posted to the server. In logic rocket I'm able to use SDII, AIFF, or WAVE as the file format internal to logic, the files are compressed and transfered to the server where they get uploaded to each user in the session as a compressed file and then decompressed on the users computer.

As You know, MIDI files are pretty small. Logic handels the MIDI info very well. As for the audio, Logic does a good job as a sequencer, where you might have four bars that repeat, a couple more as a bridge, verse, refrain, etc. It is actually very efficient when small portions are reused throughout the tune. It makes it actually useable on a modem.

My own preference is to play the tune from beginning to end, just like a real musician would do... but if I knew another player had a slow connection, I would certainly try to minimize the amount of data to be transmitted.

One thing I have really enjoyed is... when someone puts a midi bass line into a session. I can then open the score window for the track and read the music while recording an actual bass on another track.

Chat with you soon! ICQ 147162639

Dave

An easy way to transfer sound tracks is via mp3 files. They are readily converted from and to wav files via musicmatch. The quality is very good and you don't need propriatary programs. I use n-Track Studio for computer recording. I have Cakewalk, Cool Edit and Sound Forge but seem to always go back to n-Track Studio.

Granted you need to have an ftp program or some other system for the transfer but Yahoo has ample storage available for free & is easy to upload to.

I regularly email mp3 files back and forth to other members of a band I play with so that's another option.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

• 1 month later...

Hiya,

Well, I am the new moderator, so be kind to me :)

I still get a little bemused when people talk about emailing mp3's etc as the 'best' way of collaborating. Having used Rocket software for over 7 years, i gotta say I am yet to find a more intuitive and enjoyable way of collaborating.

Regards

David

• 3 weeks later...

Archived