Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

a bad experience with a lawn mower

techristian

No I didn't cut my hands or feet off. What happened was that I spent 45 minutes cutting the grass. I even wore ear plugs so that I wouldn't hurt my hearing at all. THEN I WANTED TO GO IN AND PRACTICE DRUMS. My hands felt a bit like "pins and needles" but I still wanted to practice anyway. So I worked on my feet first to warm up, but even after 1/2 hour of warmup, my hands still felt funny. My performance was suffering so I decided that I needed to rest my hands. Tommorrow is another day.

Anyone else there ever experience this????

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There are addages that using machines etc, which affect the muscleature of ones craft, may cause temporary issues.

Try reverse stretching against the grain of what the task musles were doing.

I find it difficult to play, once I've spent a lot of time doing building chores like fences etc.

A lawnmower, is not unlike a jack hammer in some ways.

Once, I gave away a barbell set, because it screwd up my guitar tecnique to do those reps.

Give it a day, it will pass.

I do use some isometrics which I learned years ago for the hands, but about all I do with my feet is put shoes on them.

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Yes, I've had the same problem. The same thing happens with chainsaws. If you use a chainsaw for years without proper hand protection, you can develop a condition called "whitefinger."

I started wearing gloves when I mow the lawn. That got rid of the pins & needles. It also got rid of the chafing and blisters.

MEGATRON FOR PRESIDENT

http://grannysghost.com/megatronLap.JPG

Man, Bart: I am with you.

Using my weedeater gives me the shakes.

I can hardly even raise a glass of water to drink afterwards!

Whew. I don't like that feeling either.

DJ

I've been having a bit of that...and worse. I've developed a condition called "trigger finger"...I don't know if it's like "whitefinger" or not, but it's where the sheaths that house the tendons in your fingers swell, and cause the tendons to stick...making your finger lock. It will snap (like a trigger, hence the name) rather painfully into position.

A great thing for a guitar player to get.

But yeah, the numbnesss...as well as trigger finger, are all sort of associated with carpal tunnel type maladies.

Sucks getting old.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by Tedster:

I've been having a bit of that...and worse. I've developed a condition called "trigger finger"...I don't know if it's like "whitefinger" or not, but it's where the sheaths that house the tendons in your fingers swell, and cause the tendons to stick...making your finger lock. It will snap (like a trigger, hence the name) rather painfully into position.

A great thing for a guitar player to get.

But yeah, the numbnesss...as well as trigger finger, are all sort of associated with carpal tunnel type maladies.

Sucks getting old.

My dad has had surgery for that. The doctor cuts your hand open and makes a tunnel for the tenon to move through without hanging up. It sounds worse than it is. Oddly enough, my dad had this happen to his trigger finger. :D He shoots as good now as he always did, but I can't predict what the surgery would do for a guitar player. :(

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

I ran over my feet with the lawn mower about ten years ago after I had just sharpened the blade. It had three wheels and I was pulling it backwards not realizing my car was behind me, I stopped but the lawn mower didnt. I removed just a little bit of the top of one big toe and cut the other 4 pretty good. My other foot was fine but so close there was no top to the sneaker left.

Stretch! Begin and maintain a regular stretching regimen. Fingers,hand,wrist,arms,shoulders etc. This will solve and/or prevent all the above mentioned problems 90% of the time. Well, except for the foot in the lawnmower.

The vibrations are from bad bearings in the mower(or an unbalanced blade, chipped or worn out blade). This has happened to me with a weed wacker. Bad bearings works on the nerve endings in the hand after long usage. Maybe use a dense sponge around the handle to absorbg the vibration might help. Change out the bearings and the wip cable within the shaft.

Jazzman :cool:

• 2 weeks later...

Archived