Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

band logo on the bass drum?

Blue Strat

Something I've always wondered is how did professional bands like The Beatles get their logos on the bass drum's resonant head? Did they paint them, have them printed, what?

Every band I've seen locally has their logo taped on, or use stickers that they had made up. Wouldn't a sticker as big as that "The Beatles" logo on Ringo's drums mess with the sound of the drums?

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I painted my own. I got a clear head and painted on the inside of the head so it wouldn't get scratched off, and would look like a smooth application from the front. I hand painted the letters in black paint using a backwards stencil (so it would read forwards from the front) and, after the black paint dried, I spray painted white paint over the entire inside of the head. I made sure the black paint was dry before this last step so the two colors wouldn't bleed into each other.

I'm pretty sure that The Beatles' drum heads were painted. Nowadays you can go to someplace like this to get custom heads made.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Yes, according to the amazing book "The Beatles Gear" (a HIGHLY recommended read for Beatle geeks), Ringo's drumheads had the logo hand painted on. Apparently the Beatles' famous logo was designed quite by accident, by a guy who worked at the local drum shop in Liverpool where Ringo ordered his first Ludwig kit. The Ludwig drums all had the Ludwig logo painted on the front kick drum head, and when Brian Epstein went to pick up Ringo's kit he said, "The band isn't called Ludwig, it's called the Beatles! We need the band's name on the head!" So the store clerk sketched out what became the famous Beatles logo, with the large "B" and the dropped "T". There was a local sign painter who used to paint all the drum heads for the shop, so when he came in the clerk gave him the sketch and he painted it on while everyone looked on.

Our drummer put a fairly large sticker of our logo on his front head, and it doesn't seem to mess with the sound - his kick drum is freaking loud and resonant, anyhow! The sticker isn't quite as big as the Beatles logo, though, and it would probably be expensive to make one that big, so painting would probably be the way to go there. Making a stencil is probably a good option, so when you change the resonant head you can duplicate the logo easily!

The neckbone.net people are too expensive for me.

There's a guy on Ebay who regularly sells drum company logos that you just rub on the head (not a sticker, but a decal- just the print is left on teh head). I have a couple of his things. They work.

My question is how are these things made? Looks like they may be just some kind of computer printed thing, but I have never seen paper that does this. Anyone know?

Wildplum Recordings

a micro label, studio and remote recording service

Originally posted by totemspock:

www.vintagelogos.com

I like this one.

http://www.vintagelogos.com/vl_webphotos/MB_Shield.jpg

I'd just have to get my initials on there. :) I've got set of Ludwig's in a vintage yellow clear wood finish, and that head would look great on it, very old school. :thu:

BlueStrat

a.k.a. "El Guapo" ;)

...Better fuzz through science...

http://geocities.com/teleman28056/index.html

• 2 weeks later...
My question is how are these things made? Looks like they may be just some kind of computer printed thing, but I have never seen paper that does this. Anyone know?
Any of your local sign shops guys should be able to do the decals. I've used the paper before. It usually comes in rolls. That's all I know.

Hey,

I have success with this:

Since I do so much showcase work and weekend runs with different groups, my front head budget would kill me.

Instead, I go to Signs Now (a franchise) and take them the graphics on cdrom.

They print the color logos on static film.

They stick on the front head via static cling.

When I get home, I simply pull that logo off and I am ready to apply the next one.

Hope this idea may help.

DJ

Archived