Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Drums I let through my fingers in my stupidity of youth! You?

djarrett

I remember distinctly being in the eleventh grade in high school, ... the year 1980, ... a good friend said: "my church has this old set of drums that were bought for the church. They are in a closet ... and still in the box. They would like to sell them. Are you interested?"

Well, I was certainly intrigued to say the least. I went to the church ... and there in the closet ... and still sealed in the boxes ... was a 1967 Ludwig White Marine Pearl Jazzette Set. IN THE FRIGGIN BOXES!!!! For you young whipper snappers, this was a (at the time) 13 year old ... never played on ... never opened set of drums comprised of an 18" bass drum, 12" mounted tom, and 14" floor tom ... with a 4.5X 14 snare drum. The bass drum had a ride cymbal arm attached. The spurs were dissappearing. It was a dream come true. And to top it off, ... $350!! Depleated my little savings account at the time, but I was all over that set.

You talk about sweet! Wow! and Compact! Killer. The set would fit in the back seat of my Dad's 1959 Volkswagen!

I played that kit for all kinds of Gigs all through college. It was a great little kit, and boy did I baby it.

During college, a friend started selling Gretsch drums as a side business (you could do that in those days). I was a serious music major, so I saved up and bought a huge Gretsch kit. Had to buy a VW van at the time to haul the thing. Did it sound sweet ... OH YEAH, but ... it was a different sound than those babied Ludwig Jazzettes.

What happened to those Ludwigs? Well, when Jeff Pocaro was out with TOTO, Pearl Drums introduced the first version of the Pocaro rack. (it was the square aluminum rack ... you remember).

Like a block head kid, ... I had to have one. I went drove from Columbia, SC to Charlotte, NC to Reliable Music to see that rack (as they were the only one to have one within a days drive. I did not have the money for the rack, but I had those Ludwigs in the trunk of the car. Spell bound, I suggested an even trade. I took the salesman out to the car, and with a gleam in his eye, he gladly traded even for the new rack!

I should have had my head examined! What was I thinking!?! ... someone should have stopped me!!!

Alas, I think of those old drums often. I wonder if the new owner babied them like I did. Did they still have all the drums together as a family? Were they still being played? Were they still even around?

Have any of you ever done something stupid like this?

I want to know. Make me feel like I am not the only blockhead here!!!!

Thanks,

DJ

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

ME TOO ME TOO !

In 87 or 88 I traded in my LUDWIG ROCK DOU SET and $250 CASH to get Roland OCTAPADS. That LUDWIG set came with (2)TWO 22" bass drums, 14" and 15" toms on a tripod and BIG floor tom, with 2 SPEEDKING PEDALS, hyhat and cymbal stands. I paid $1000 CAN. for it in 1974 .

Now I can pick up an OLD OCTAPAD for $100 but the Ludwig set would still be worth over $1000

Dan

http://teachmedrums.com

Still kicking self in ass to this day for getting rid of an old Ludwig 60's area blue sparkle kit, consisted of 13" rack tom, 16" floor tom, and a 22" kick.

I was a kid and didn't know what I had. I can't even remember how much I sold them for, but whatever it was I guarantee I got hosed.

You guys get it !!!!

Young drummers listen up~!

Never underestimate what you have. Equipment is always something that you may seem to want to improve and grow with, but never forget this. Equipment contains memories, sentimental nuances, and mark your growth.

That old white marine pearl Ludwig kit that I have many pictures of me sitting behind ... I miss!

Seems crazy, but you'll see.

DJ

A 60's (maybe about a 62') Ludwig Marine Pearl - traded as a down payment in about 74 for one of them fancy fiberglass kits (Fibes).

Traded the Fibes (now somewhat of a collectors item) in late 70's for some of them fancy electronic pads (Syndrums)

Stupid! Stupid! Stupid!

And don't even get me strated on the 60's era Les Paul, SG & Strat that I traded for just about nothing.

Oh but it gets worse. I had drum sticks handed to me by most of the big band drummers who were still touring in the late 50's & early 60's. My dad had been a big band drummer - and jazz drummer in the Chicago clubs during prohibition (talk about cool road stories!!!). He got me back stage whenever the bands came to town (he knew people in all the bands) and I met and got sticks from all these cats who to me were just old guys my dad knew.

Well, as I started gigging in the mid 60's and as I started breaking sticks (and had no cash for new sticks) - well you can see where this story goes. The sticks are all gone. When I learned to love jazz in the 70's I started to realize what a wonderful legacy I had in my hands - and lost!!!

I got an old trap case full of stuff from an old ex-road drummer buddy of mine. A friend had stored it at his house "for a few weeks" about six years before that, and he wanted it gone. there were about seven cymbals in it, one of which was my prized early 70s "big stamp" 21" A. ride. Most of the rest were junk, except one: a 20" Paiste 502 ride with rivet holes all over it. Not just around the edge, but all over! It was old and tarnished, but it had a dark jazz-ride sound that was buttah. I traded the other cymbals at a local used gear store for more useful stuff. I hung onto this one for a while because it sounded so sweet, but I ended up trading it for something I felt I could get more use out of. (Understand, my rig is a total junkyard monstrosity, so I get what I can, when I can.) Man, I wish I still had that cymbal. I don't know if it's worth a dime (that would be a 602, not a 502, that's worth the bucks, right?), but GAWD, I've never heard a more swingin' cymbal. Put a stick on it, and you turn into Philly Joe.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

I just have to tell you that reading your message about getting rid of the white marine ludwigs brought a tear to my eye, like the Old Yeller movie. Man, you could make a living writing sad novels! My dream kit, which I will soon own, is a Ludwig Classic Maple 4pc in white marine pearl but I know that they probably don't make em like they used to. When I was about 13 I traded what I think was a late 60's Rogers kit for a motorcycle that broke down the next week. I know the Ludwigs you described were better than my Rogers but it still makes me sick. I'll join that club.

Well, I'm gonna be the standout here and mention that I still have my 1970 red sparkle Ludwigs--blue and olive badge, standard sizes--that my parents got for me in '74 for $400.

'taint nothin' gonna make me stupid enough to lose those.

(PS: AAAAAAUUUUGH!!!! WILL SOMEBODY PLEASE BACK OFF THE FLOOD PROTECTION A BIT!!!!

thank you)

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

My son has a 60s or early 70s vintage Ludwig silver sparkle kit. He talks from time to time like he'd like to get the "latest and the greatest"...and I mention to him that he can do whatever he wants, as long as he keeps those vintage Ludwigs. I myself had a cool real vintage set of Ludwigs I sold a long time ago (I was never a drummer of any sort, but I had 'em for drummers who came over to jam). They were that obnoxious champagne sparkle color. I thought that was disgusting back in the day...but now, it's so cheesy I love it.

I did some really stupid things in my past, mainly parting with guitars to get more PA gear. One of my goals now is to have back some of the guitars I stupidly sold back in the day...not necessarily the same guitar (I know that would be impossible for the most part) but one like it.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

ss, you mean Keifer Sutherland?

Hmmm....never heard that one before. Usually, it's Patrick Swayze, Harrison Ford, or Steve Martin (for some time, my Dad thought Lorenzo Lamas. It was the hair). I suppose that particular camera angle might do that.

anyway...thanks.

Back in the early 80's, I took my drums apart, very lightly sanded the inside of shells (didn't want to lose the date stamp, y'know), and gave all the shells a coat or two of nice clear lacquer on the inside. The improvement in tone was phenomenal.

Tedster, Tedster, Tedster...tsktsktsk. Champagne sparkle "obnoxious"? Time for a Homer Simpson glove slap. :eek:

Here is the real truth about Champagne Sparkle, ... one you may have never heard.

Plastic Wrap is made by a company called Delmar. The drum business is a tinie-tiny part of their business. They make the plastic for eye-wear frames. HUGE BUSINESS.

They also make guitar picks and pick guards.

During the years I was with Mapex and Slingerland (1990's) a sheet of plastic for a drumset averaged $59.00 and it took about 6 or 7 sheets to do a 5 pc. set. Champagne sparkle ran $140.00 a sheet!!! Why?

Champagne sparkle uses real silver and copper shavings impregnated (glitter style) into the plastic sheet! That cost of the silver and copper drove the price up on those sheets. Manufacturers do not pass this extra cost along to drummers. SO, ... if you own a set of Champagne Sparkle drums ... you actually own something worth more that another set in another finish!

It is truly one of the great classic colors! Always one of my favorites!

Probably more information than you ever wanted to know!

DJ

Like I say, NOW, I love Champagne Sparkle drums. But, when I was a kid, I associated them with the "Merv and the Murphtones" wedding/lounge band drummers...so I hated them. Not anymore...

So THPBPBPBPBPBBPBPBPB!!!!

BTW...thanks for that bit of info, Dendy.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

The finish that I could NEVER cotton to was the goofy psychedelic crap that shifted slightly when you moved in one direction or another; it appeared in the mid/late '60's. I think it was a Slingerland thing...yes/no? Anyway, if it was butt-ugly it would've been beautiful, it was that bad.

That is funny.

Actually it was a Slingerland finish, but it had that old 3-D baseball card feel to the finish. That actually made a huge comeback a few years ago ... as Slingerland (Gibson) re-introduced it and DW followed suit.

Unfortunatly, it was really easy to scratch (like a ball card) and once scratched, it was scratched!

Now, Ludwigs old Psychodelic ... that was ugly!

DJ

"3-D". Yes. THAT's the word I was trying to come up with; isn't the 'technical' name for it 'prismatic'? Usta be you'd get some dumb card in your pack of gum; look at it one way, you got a beautiful woman; the other way, you got a space alien, or somesuch.

Either way I'd look at the drums, it looked like barf.

You're not talking about satin flame, are you? Cuz that finish is cool. Tedster, I know how you feel about sparkle finishes. I remember when they were not very cool at all. The drumset over at Pensacola Junior College looks black at first blush, until you get up close on it and discover, through a couple of deep scratches, that it was once a green sparkle Slingerland kit that some nimrod spray-painted black. :eek::mad::freak: My heart breaks every time I look at it.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Archived