Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Match grip or traditional?

Tedster

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ted, you're missing the option for "both". I use both in the course of most gigs. Depending on what I'm playing some things just feel better with one or the other grip - so I switch.

--

Rob

I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Our drummer MOSTLY favors matched grip, but he started out playing in marching bands and doing traditional jazz, so he learned initially with traditional grip. He'll sometimes switch back to it depending on the song - like we have a song that's got a really traditional jazz/swing feel and he nearly always goes to traditional grip for that.

--Lee

I grew up on the traditional grip, but changed to matched for the last 15 years. I would need to reset the drums to receive the traditional way yhat I used to play before. When I was playing out at a younger age, the group always wanted me to PLAY LOUDER. I was not comfortable with banging on the drums, when I was used to playing light Jazz. Now days I would need to retrain myself fot that way of playing again.

My 2 cents worth........

Jazzman :cool:

I can honestly say that I think drummers should be ambi-gripped.

There are applications where traditional is better than matched, and visa-verca.

I became ambi-gripped when I studied tympani in school (I was a tympani and drumset performance major ... and I know that is minor! ).

I like playing traditional because I feel like I get more power out of my left hand. I typically use matched when I am playing with finesse.

Just my thoughts.

DJ

• 5 weeks later...

Archived