Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What did you practice yesterday?

felix stein

After all that analyzing yesterday I said to myself I really need to sit down and "shred" for a while.

The first thing I HAD to do was turn on the click to a nice even 100 bpm.

Ok this has got groove potential- so I played an old pattern with an inverted diddle between the hat and the snare and the kick going in and out of the right hand "lead". It was sounding good to me. Trying to warm up.

Did that for a while with the 16th note linear fills and some bonzo power sextuplets for shits and giggles.

Broke into a cheezy jazz samba and comped with the left hand ala steve gadd up close video and had a paradiddle attack while the ostanato was going. Then I became possessed by Haskell Harr and I saw everything in double.

Well, did some double bass stuff, but not for long because the swing thing was getting to me so I turned off the click and started swinging. It was fun totally trying every triplet sycopation I could think of between the kick and snare while keeping the skip beat happening. So I thought about the triplet exercise with two feet that was the lesson for the week I guess and substituted my left hand for the left foot cause I wanted the skip beat to stay happening...sounded cool, I couldn't stop. I also got attacked by neil playing jazz and then did three stroke singled ruffs 4 again 3 fills..now that was amusing...too funny.

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this will make you cringe Felix, after reading your posts on the Busy drumming/Neil thread but..........

I practiced single, double, and triple paradiddles, para diddle diddles, and a boatload of inversions of them all left hand lead for about 2 hours on a neoprene pad yesterday to a clik. Actually i do this a lot. I have this wacky notion that my finger technique is improving. If nothing else its a fantastic warm up.

Moved onto the drums. Been listening to a lot of Tony lately - in the nefertitti era. I love how he can imply so many differnet meters from a single BPM marking. I also want to free myself up more when i play a midtempo swing in 3. so I combined those two concepts and went from there.....

ajc

I have been listening to Miles in the Sky a little lately-and I need to pick up Nefertitti.

No, what you are working on is quite interesting to me. Your hands must really be smoking. I thought I might make a recommendation to you since you are on a diddle kick. Kim Plainfield has a book out called "Advanced Concepts" where there is a killer section of what he calls odd paradiddles and some stuff where he does polyrhy's with the 4 over 3 stuff. I havn't gotten into it cause I was ate up with the ruff part that preceded it but I have been thinking about starting on my moongel with these paradiddle combinations.

Well hopefully I can play some saturday...tonight is the speed metal fest...should be a hoot.

Well, I started on my Ralph Humphrey grouping mixtures, shifting thru different note values this morning. I think I'm going to like these...they are thick and over the bar and the toughest thing for independence I have seen that interests me. You really have to "feel or see" thru the click/pulse-definitely what I'm into these days. I'll keep everyone posted...I'm sure you are all holding your breath.

yup,

I have one or two of Latham's books...the transcriptions of the famous funk grooves are the best...totally a hoot to "cop" a garibaldi or mason groove. I'm kinda sick of agonizing over other peoples' patterns anymore so I'm at the point where I'm going to have the bass player and or guitar notate some of the rhythm lines for the next cd. Then I'll write my line down with shit I think will sound cool but I can't play. Then I guess I'll practice that.

havn't gotten into chester yet...I'll have to keep my eyes peeled...I have so much stuff to work on that I probably would never have to buy anything again I suppose. I like alot of gary chaffee's concepts as well...very hip...at least it was at the time. I have no idea really where to go these days so I'm going to go over some old stuff that I used to be able to play sorta and see.

well, last night I played lots of swiss triplets with the feet and I also started some rudimental practice on my feet again. Lots of fun...really burns the calories too.

And today I got my new book in the mail...The modern drummer double bass encyclopedia!

Lots of thick sounding fills and cross rhythms...can't wait to jump into it tonight.

Felix:

The MD Double Bass Drum Encyclopedia is a great book! Devour it.

AJC: You are right about the Gary Chester book. It is certainly an independence matrix. Rub the tummy ... pat the head ... chew gum ... etc.!

DJ

I got thru the 2 beat groupings in my new book relatively quick. Time for the 3 beat stuff tonight. 3 beat grouping sound cool over 2 bars...should be a blast...I did a lot of that when I went thru Kenny Arnoff's power workout. Nice to be practicing a little again. I'll try getting some rudiments happening a little cleaner on the feet. Long roll doubles are easier than alternating 5's 6's and 7 stroke rolls. Swiss triplets sounding real phat these days downstairs...havn't tackled paradiddles there yet...that is going to be tough.

Yeah, I'm treating the Gary Chester NEW BREED book as my life long goal. I'm on System 14 and will stay there until I can play each page of the READING section (pages IA - VB) flawlessly, with the metronome, counting out loud. Only when I can do that without a mistake do I move on to the next system. It's been great fun over the years and will be interesting to see how long it takes me. I, of course, have skipped around and played through all the systems and advanced systems ... but I've set this goal of "checking them off" only when I can play them flawless in one sitting.

I actually think I have the READING pages memorized now that I've played them so much over the years! I don't work on the NEW BREED every week; maybe I should so I could finish the book soon using my criteria for advancement.

I also enjoy working out of Dave Garibaldi's book, FUTURE SOUNDS. I've been treating it the same way I do the NEW BREED; advancing slowly and methodically. Every once in awhile I'll get an inspiration and go off on a tangent; creating my own grooves and permutations. If you visit my web site and listen to my opening drum groove, which also appears in written form on my Lesson pages, it was totally insprired by Garibaldi.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Welcome to Drum Talk mrthirsty!

Please go to the "Inquiring minds want to know " thread and tell us a little about yourself!

Stick Control on a pillow is excellent. Talk about bustin' some chops!

For those of you *not* using it, Stone's Stick Control (written by George Lawrence Stone about a bizzilion years ago! ) is a must have! It takes discipline to break through the monotony of repeating patterns, but once you start to feel the burn, ... watch out! You'll become a chop-God!

We used to do long-rolls when I was in drum corps as we marched round and round the track of the football field. The only way I got through that grueling exercise was to practice long, open rolls on a pillow!

DJ

Do a multiple bounce roll on a pillow, then I'd be impressed (LOL). If I want to work my playing technique I do a workout on a moongel pad I have.

I'm trying to get my long roll really happening with my feet these days.

I wouldn't mind picking up the garibaldi future sounds book. I have practiced his patterns before and dig them...although I'm really not into that style of playing right now, it would be nice to have in the library.

Pretty cool reading about what you guys are into.

I have Gary's Linear Funk and Fusion grooves, if you want to work on some serious funk feels this is a must have! Patterns are laid out in a concise and easy format to understand(you don't have to be strong reader but a basic understanding of how to count and read rhythm goes a long way). Along with the book comes a cd where Gary plays an example of each linear groove, so you can also get an idea of some of the nuances of this style. The biggest bonus of this material is all the patterns are working grooves, not just a bunch of excercises for gaining more independence. If you like this source of material another book to check out is Brazilian Rhythms for Drumset by Duduka Da Fonseca this also comes with a cd and killer samba grooves!!!!!

I have Gary's linear book as well as his rhythmic concepts. The latter is extremely eyeopening with many rhythmic mixtures. It has totally changed my conception of filling anymore. I CAN'T PLAY IT STRAIGHT. I'm like so into into having tom fills sound like they are speeding up and slowing down even though they aren't. Probably not a cool thing to practice but I'm into it big time right now...have been for awhile. It's the dog's dinner. Playing 3 or 4 different subdivisions in a bar totally turns me on....

Oh, I played piano last night...working on Satie's Gymnopedie No 2

Hey, Felix:

I think it cool that you share your practice time with us! Kind of like an accountability group!

A good way to make sure you put in your time each day!

I like it!

DJ

Hey, Felix:

Check out my lessons on MusicPlayer.com . They are basic exercises but the foundation for strong chops.

I need to make more time to practice, but I stay busy with MPcom!!

Got to keep it fresh for you guys!

DJ

That's great DJ- maybe you or someone on this list would care to help me with a simple question.

I'm writing exercises in 7/8 currently and if I place 5 notes in between the 8th note pulse how many lines go across the 5 note groups? 3? and then put a "5" above?

I'm also in a quandry about how to notate a group of 6 (sextuplets) for the value of each 8th note...do those notes get four bars going across the note stems? So they would be 32nd note triplets in 7/8?

That's alotta notes.

Felix,

The rule of thumb on something like this is to notate it in such a way so that the player can read it easily.

To do this, in your situation, you should not write sextuplets in 32nd notes; which would be sextuplets per eighth note in 7/8. Break it down so that you are playing sextuplets in 16th notes and put the meter in 7/4. This will make it SO much easier to write and read.

Hope this helps!

------------------

Bart Elliott

The same goes for quintuplets. Just like the sextuplets, right your pattern in 7/4 not 7/8, make the quintuplets or sextuplets with two lines across the stems (thus notating 16th notes) and put a 5 or 6 above the group respectively.

------------------

Bart Elliott

I see what you mean.

You want the feeling of going from 4/4 to 7/8? Write the 4/4 sections in half-time so that a standard snare back beat would be on beat 3 instead of 2 and 4. Then the tempo marking would need to double up to compensate.

There's several ways to get around all of this. You've just got to pick the best one that works the best for you. If you are notating this for others or for publishing, I would highly recommend staying away from a spread of 32nd note sextuplets. The only exception would be if it's just a short lick within the 7/8 bar. If the overall feel is found in the sextuplets, like a hip-hop groove or afro-cuban groove, I would not use 32nd notes. You'd have one bar per stave when you print it out; two if you are lucky.

------------------

Bart Elliott

Very interesting, I like the half time concept-didn't even think of it...I played piano last night so I didn't get around to goofing around with this stuff. No, I'm not even thinking of publishing the amblings of my pencil.

It is just for me to help develop my own concepts/style/soloing ideas. You are right, the patterns take up lots of the staff but usually I just stick them out and fill in with hash marks.

Have a nice weekend Bartman. Take it easy on those church goers when you pull those meter modulations during sanctuary! LOL- Too funny.

Hi all,

Well, since I just started playing drums about 3 months ago, I practiced a straight 4/4 beat and worked on keeping my time steady.

Then a friend came by, plugged one of my guitars into the ol' J-Station, and we had about a 20min. freak-out. I don't know how you guys keep it up! *Gasp!*

Bob

Originally posted by lockbody:

Well, since I just started playing drums about 3 months ago, I practiced a straight 4/4 beat and worked on keeping my time steady.

That's awesome!! There aren't enough drummers who just sit down and work on holding a groove. We ALL need to be doing that from time to time. http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/smile.gif

~clockwirk~

Archived