Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What did you practice yesterday?

felix stein

Welcome Lockbody!

Clockwirk is right, ... jamming and grooving is great way to really dig into your new found passion! Also playing and jamming with other musicians for fun or just put the headphone on and jam to your fav songs is another great exercise!

Keep it you and although it may sound like some of these guys are advance, we all started from the same drum throne!!

Soon you will leave others with their tongues waggin'!

DJ

• Replies 49
  • Created
  • Last Reply

played piano of course and wrote some 4 bar double kick ostanatos in front of the TV...I'm trying to think of something to put over the top of them...the hard part will be trying to play the suckers.

I have been trying to complete the studio...you will all be VERY jealous...I hope to have it done this fall...well, back to my day job.

Isn't it interesting that we as drummers can never seem to get drumming off our minds!

In front of the TV, driving down the road, having se ... eh, er ... did I say that!

We all got it bad!

DJ

Yes, I did play for a few...it's been tough...really cranking in the studio.

I fused 2 linear grooves with a songo last night, displaced the songo on the toms of course, stepped the high hat out and did lots of big displaced linear 16th note fills as well.

Then I played one of Herman's beats or a variation there of but I grouped the snare and the 2 beats of the kick in 3 and sixteenthed it out over two and four bars ala John Bonham on crystal. My foot was getting a little beat, but I havn't been at it like I should. Time to bone up on some Iron Maiden. Naw, maybe not.

ciao

• 2 weeks later...

I just remembered this morning how much I love playing drums! I love the way my limbs feel after practice or Yahweh permitting, a gig!

I have been developing what I call a "surfacing" technique based upon linear concepts, maximum displacement and artificial groupings. It is easy, fast and fun as hell plus it sounds soooooo cool (to me). I'll have to record it and see if you folks can draw any references to it...I'd be interested

I am so into playing these days, can't wait to get back into the scene.

16th note dbl bass groove with a three stroke ruff on every downbeat...snare on two and 4..cym bells follow ruffs...played a few sextuplet fills with the kick for shits and giggles...I like to shift to 5's as well. Can U hear it?

I love 3 stroke ruffs singled out and displaced...Neil made a career out of them I suppose.

filled with swiss triplets and my surfacing technique...goofed around with a songo and linear thing also...I need new heads...played some cheesy 32nd note down rolls ala Ian Paice...nice exercise...oh, pretended I was Nicko McBrain for awhile and did some single kick triplet grooves

Nice to hear from you Mr. Moderator...I'm glad you havn't expelled me from the list...what would I do on my coffee breaks? LOL

Yes, I do think rock is my favorite genre as the basis to fuse other stuff with. To me, rock is really hard to make sound great. There is so much mediocre rock out there and it can be such an intense genre ...so easy to fuse. There are problems to be solved when playing thru bigger systems, and I think when I start playing out again I'm going to see how the "fast" fills(paddy fla fla's) translate through some of the larger systems. Granted we are only a 3 piece so that will help, but there are some dynamic issues I'm going to have to work on. You know I will keep EVERYONE posted

Does it beat playing patty fla fla's in front of a couple eating linquini?

I think so!

• 3 weeks later...

Well, got into an old Terry Silverlight book last night..."the featured drummer" and found a hand pattern that was just sick at 140 bpm.

It was 8th note triplets grouped in 3 and ever 3rd accent the left hand would play with the right, so each hand was playing groups of 3's but they were staggered by 2 8th notes. Then you had to keep the down beat accented while alternating while trying not to flam the two notes when they came around. Took me over an hour just to get it slow and I forgot it already! Lots of interesting groupings in that book. I will explore it further. Should be a very nice fill when voices are displaced.

has anybody out there used this variation of a parradiddle?

1 & 2 & 3 & 4 & 1 & 2 .....

R RR RR R RR RR R RR RR

LL L LL LL L LL LL L LL

its got overlapping notes so its a little more dense sounding, great for cowbells and wood blocks, while still allowing for an accent on the 2 and 4...

Well, set up the extreme drumming practice cell in my gf's condo last night.

It consists of:

1 kick pad/rug included

1 music stand

1 moongel pad on cheesy snare stand

1 Tama Rhythm Watch

1 Yamaha DFP 850

1 pair of gner LA Fusion drumsticks

Assorted Rudimentary Studies

1 kitchen chair w/butt pillow

1 oven timer

Worked the feet and hands out for almost an hour. I seem to play faster in odd groupings as opposed to conventional ones. 5's and 7's are much easier for me to play faster longer. It was warm and I noticed my hands were getting wet and slippery. Subsequently I had to apply more tension to my fulcrum points. Not cool.

Did monotonous double stroke exercises with the feet. I am hot and cold with those things which tells me I have a long way to go.

Originally posted by felix stein:

I play diddles all the time on my small tom (try to stay away from cowbells and woodblocks)...lots of fun over a samba, bione or tumbau if you are really feeling latin

I do that as well ... playing light rimshots on the tom. Also play on the rim of the snare, cymbal stand and light rimshots on the snare ... rather than using cowbells or woodblocks all the time.

When performing the "light" rimshots I only use about three inches of the stick. Striking the drum close to the rim, but catching the drumhead and the rim. It's nice ... kind of has a timbale overtone to it.

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Hey, Felix:

While in New York in 1984, I bought a pair of lathed steel drumsticks.

I used them as warm up sticks all through my touring days with Drum Corps and various groups.

I often wondered if they were helping or hurting my wrist.

What do you think?

I know notice that when I get away from practicing for a few days, that it takes no time to get the muscles moving again.

Want a killer work out ... Steel sticks on a firm pillow!! WEEOOWEE!

DJ

The steel sticks have always frightened me.

From my studies in Kinescology I discovered that bulking up does not help flexibility. For example, doing wrist curls with weights is a real "no-no". I guess if you can work with the steel sticks and not build up mass in those muscle groups ... you should be okay.

A great illustration is comparing a male ballet dancer with a football player. The dancer ... lean and well cut muscular stature; the football player ... bulky and powerful stature. The football player can bench-press more than a ballet dancer any day of the month. But the dancer has more endurance and can hold and control the weight he is lifting for long periods of time without tiring. Long muscle is definitely stronger and more flexible than bulk muscle.

So, if I had to choose ... I'd pick to look more like a ballet dancer (but not gay). http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/wink.gif

All of this to say ... becareful when lifting weights and using things to build strength and mass. Don't build up areas that need lot's of flexibility. If you stretch out before and after your done, I'm sure you want have to worry too much.

Just my two cents ...

------------------

Bart Elliott

http://bartelliott.com

Drummer Cafe - community drum & percussion forum

Archived