Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Zoom H4 field and 4-track recorder

Gruuve

• 2 weeks later...

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phil, how did you get on with this? Did it work or have you reverted to Audacity.

To keep people in the loop: Phil was having trouble with synching the H4 on his laptop with Cubase VST LE. I believe it was looking for a midi source which the H4 and laptop don't have. Although I can't see immediately why it would need one for live audio.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

dam i've been telling to myself that I would buy one of those, but heck now I need a head first

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

I bought my Dad the little brother for Christmas.

They FINALLY updated their website!

Zoom H2

£150 if you look around. Check Amazon

But the H4 is really the one you need if you want to plug your bass in directly.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

The H4 is the single most important accesory I've ever bought (excepting maybe a tuner). Much more beneficial than any effects pedal.

Tim, thanks for asking, just brief as I'm away from home with limited connectivity. I gave up for a while, secure that oyur advice would probably work and snowed under at work. The Cubase is installed on a work laptop that I use at weekends mostly. I've found some extra additional sheets to the zomm manual that give advice about disabling your soundcard or similar. Between those and your advice I'll give it another go on Friday.

I had the same problem with audacity so it's definitely something I have to learn about using the zoom as an interface.

Thanks for your hellp,

Phil

Arrrrgggghhh!

From Tim's advice and Zoom's manual I need to make the Zoom the default sound recording and playback device rather than the PC soundcard.

Connected USB fine - the computer connects with the PC when the unit is set to the setting to transfer files from the memory card but on the setting (Audio In/Out) the computer just doesn't recognise the Zoom unit at all. It is not an option on the Sounds and Audio Devices on control panel.

So I'm stuck. I've restarted the computer several times, I've disconnected and reconnected the zoom. I've updated the software on the zoom. I've searched the forums. And I'm still stuck!

OK.

Here are the first results.

I had to play along with a guide track of programmed drums, keys and vocals.

I did a mix that heavily favours the bass, it's not a real mix - it's just the settings I used when I recorded to make sure I could hear myself right.

MySpace-rough-mix

Here is the mp3 version on the bass track I sent them. Very rough, sorry bit tired but good enough, methinks.

MySpace-bass-track soloed

Archived