Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Zoom H4 field and 4-track recorder

Gruuve

Check this out...this is new and has some pretty nice features.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/english/products/h4/index.php

It's a palm-size stereo field recorder with built-in condenser mics, good sampling rate, records to SD cards, has aux phantom-powered XLR - 1/4" mic inputs, has 4 tracks available and functionality for overdubbing, onboard effects, USB interface for moving files, etc. The good news is that it sells for about $250 new (which I believe is roughly half what any comparable model sells for).

If you need something simple to record rehearsals with, to use for a live demo, or record a live performance, this looks like it would be an ideal ticket, especially given the price. Since it's actually got 4-tracks to work with, it seems like an ideal choice for a doing a really simple demo recording...use the built-in mics to record all the instruments live, then go back and over-dub some vocals using the 4-track functionality.

Enjoy!

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Looks like a great tool for the money.

The meter is to small to be useful.

I use a Edirol R-1 for recording gigs and rehearsal's. It's a great tool and works well, but it wasn't designed for musicians.These things are usually not designed for musicians. That is they don't have large lighted stereo meters that you can see from 5 feet away.

The levels are set up for recording spoken voices not loud bands.

They all have built in reverb, what musician is going to add reverb to a live rehearsal. With the edirol there isn't any way to use the internal mics that won't distort when recording a loud band from the stage. Luckily it's OK with external mics.

• 6 months later...

Brilliant tool.

I bought one earlier this week together with a 2GB SD card. The price has now fallen low enough for me to justify having one, I'll be disposing of my other gadgets on eBay this week which should keep the Minister of Finances off my back.

I've been playing with it this evening. So much more than just a recorder. I've been playing with the 4 track mode. You can plug the bass directly into it, it has a whole host of FX as you would expect from zoom. Record and bounce down like any other 4 track recorder. Internal metronome and chromatic tuner.

It comes with Cubase LE and can be used as a sound interface to PC. I've yet to try it with my PC and I think I may have to finally upgrade my PC to USB2 to take advantage of it fully. As I use it more I'll report back.

We're rehearsing on Tuesday so I will be recording something live then. The internal microphones have three sensitivity settings l/m/h and you can also set the recording level 0-100% and auto.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Cool, Tim. I don't recall from the manual...does this guy have virtual tracks as well as "physical" tracks?

Dave

Old bass players never die, they just buy lighter rigs.

- Tom Capasso, 11/9/2006

Yes it records 2 tracks at a time, either two mono or one stereo. You can then bounce the tracks down, and mix on board. So I guess its two virtual tracks. You can also save your project before you bounce down so I think technically you could keep all the tracks separate and down load onto PC and mix using the Cubase or any other software. ie after saving as one project, bounce down then add the next instrument, save then bounce down. Rinse and repeat saving with a different filename each time. Bit of messing around, but doable.

I mainly bought it for 2 features. Record live band. Play along to mp3s downloaded into it, while recording myself and being able to listemn straight back. It is extremely small and lightweight.

The mics seem to be good quality. You can also add effects that will colour them so that they sound like SM57, and 3 others that escape me at the moment. It also models a few bass amps.

I'll be able to sit out in my back garden this summer and play without messing around with loads of equipment. Bass, lead, Zoom. Its got built in tuner and metronome.

There will be a simple two track model coming out in August.

Update on that cloclo and Dave, having played a bit more with it last night and thought a bit more about the two questions. There are no virtual tracks, all four tracks are real. But you can only record 2 tracks maximum simultaneously directly in 2 linked tracks or stereo to either 1+2 or 3+4, or mono to 1,2,3 or 4.

If I were to do a proper recording, I would go to my local studio who will record us directly multitracked to pro tools for £80 (US$160) for 4 hours and then let us have the project to mix ourselves or do it for us. I've had enough messing around doing my own multitrack recordings, and have learned that we can get just as good results from a good mix recorded straight into stereo from the mixer.

..I think technically you could keep all the tracks separate and down load onto PC and mix using the Cubase or any other software. ie after saving as one project, bounce down then add the next instrument, save then bounce down. Rinse and repeat saving with a different filename each time. Bit of messing around, but doable.

Well no messing around, it has a mode that saves the takes automatically for mixing later. :cool:

Hey Tim, I might go for this. I have a chance of buying something to replace my dodgy minidiscs as my wife will also need something for her interviews for her Masters.

How much did you pay and from where?

Where did you get the 2 gig SD and how much?

How much recording time do will I get with 2 gig if I am recording a gig and leave the thing on to capture the whole thing?

How easy is it to set levels?

How does it compare to that nice M Audio thingy I was looking at last year?

http://www.m-audio.com/products/en_us/MicroTrack2496-main.html

Cheers!

OK bit busy now,

but I bought both through Amazon.

The H4 from Absolute Music Solutions I think it was £212 including delivery.

The 2Gb is a SanDisK SecureDigital Card E10 £12.99 including delivery.

Both arrived two days later under seperate packaging. I think you can get the H4 slightly cheaper, but I have read some reviews where reliabilty issues on earlier models. I think this was mainly due to incompatible SD cards.So I opted to pay a realistic price from someone in the UK who offered warranty etc.

Theres a guy selling them on eBay for about £170 odd, but something doesn't look quite right about them to me. Trust your instincts.

I left it recording our rehearsal on Tuesday and I stopped it after 2h12m the file size at 44.1Khz 16bit stereo was 1.3Gb so still some room there for another hour.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and listen back yet to see what the levels are like, I just hit record.

You can also record to MP3 which I think would be just as good quality.

My PC plays the file back straight off the card via USB 1 with no problems and no drivers, just saw it as a removable hard disk.

It records a new wav file everytime you stop and start recording agin so no worries about accidentally recording over things.

As I say above there's lots of stuff in this gadget that you find more every time you read through the manual. I love Zoom gear though.

Gice us a ring if you want to know more.

I'll have a look at the Micro Track later, but it doesn't look like it has built in mics does it?

You can also record to MP3 which I think would be just as good quality.
THEY ARE.

I record every live gig setting it wherever is convenient:

mp3 @ 160kbps, comp/limit ON, sensitivities set to least sensitive.

WAV files were too big and mp3 at this rate I could not tell the difference(how can it be except math-wise?).

Samples.

LIVE, NO software work at all. We use BOSE stuff somewhat loud(why most things can be heard even though the guitar player is on the other side of the stage from where the H4 is set). Solo part in a song:

http://media.putfile.com/Zoom-H4-Live-Demo-Unprocessed

Sample of that every-cover-bassist-must play-song...Brown Eyed Girl...

http://media.putfile.com/Growl-Eyed-Girl

Sample of placement:

Front left on floor

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/LoveBoatStage01.jpg

Front left on emergency cable(in case wireless craters)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/NatOilStage02.jpg

On the handrail on a polish cloth to the left of the bass.

H4 not visible in the photo.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Johnny_Crab/MagOTCstage01.jpg

NOTE: Use the power adapter for gigs. The H4 here ate two AA's for about 2 to 3 hours of recording...once stopping before we did. Since that event, it gets plugged in to the wall wart.

http://www.myspace.com/theguzzlers

Dad gave me a bass when I was 10.

I learned Gloria, Satisfaction, and a lot of Booker T & the MG's.

• 3 weeks later...

The H4 is also GREAT for recording:

High school bands marching, concert, and jazz(local director got one after borrowing mine)

Pipe organ concerts(BASS PEDALS RULE THE WORLD!!)

Piano at home

Vocal practice

Speech rehearsals

Voice-over recording for son's video projects

Meetings at work with vendors/contractors

All kinds of recordings. Got some of cows bellowing out here...and will capture coyote sounds in the winter when they start "running the creek" like they do every year..

http://www.myspace.com/theguzzlers

Dad gave me a bass when I was 10.

I learned Gloria, Satisfaction, and a lot of Booker T & the MG's.

Well I'll try it out at my gig in 2 hours time if I can find somewhere to put it. I was thinking of taping it to a mic stand in front of the stage but it's an outdoor gig at a school and there'll be lots of little kids running around bumping into stuff.

Also I might want to delete the results as I just got an email from the $****%&&&^ bandleader with a list of 12 new $&&^***%$ songs he wants to play: some of which I've never heard of, some of which I hate and nearly all of which I've never played before. Despite us already having a set list of more than 80 songs! Oops, sorry for the rant, nearly derailed the thread.

Back on topic, great list Johnny, I'm looking forward to using this machine at work and home, I have to get a UK adaptor so I'll use some brand new batteries today.

Well negotiated on the recorder front Phil! Can you put those skills to use regarding the new setlist?

I recommend using NiMH batteries with high current draw devices like these, much longer life than alkalines and much cheaper because you can recharge them countless times. The best I've found are Hybrio's which don't self-discharge and come ready-charged. A mere £9.99 for 4 from Argos:

http://www.argos.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?jspStoreDir=argos&catalogId=10651&params=adref%3DDIY%2C+garden+and+car-%3EDIY+tools+and+equipment-%3ERechargeable+batteries+and+chargers&productId=710752&referredURL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.argos.co.uk%2Fwebapp%2Fwcs%2Fstores%2Fservlet%2FProductDisplay%3FstoreId%3D10001%26catalogId%3D10651%26productId%3D710752%26langId%3D-1&keyword=Uniross+Hybrio+Ready+To+Use+Rechargeable+AA+Batteries.&langId=-1&referrer=FG13P&engine=froogle&storeId=10001

And cheaper still from here:

http://www.batterylogic.co.uk/hybrio.htm

Alex

Recorded a couple of weeks ago at a rehearsal so that the Sax player has something to practice her solo to. Sax solo is around 1:40 which is why nothing appears to happen then for few bars.

No audience so a little bit of energy missing.

Enjoy:

Midnight at the Oasis

Alex, I have some rechargables and use them in most stuff, but they don't seem to last as long for things like this.

Tim, that's a tune I'd like to play. The whole recording sounded a little 'distant' to me but that's probably my laptop and headphones. I like the singing - can't see Richie singing that! ;)

Our gig was a strange one! Builders cut through the mains cable on the day of the gig!!! Potentially my third cancelled gig in succession. Fortunately we had a great two hour jam on percussion: kit, woodblocks, darbouka (Moroccan drum), qarqaba (Moroccan metal clackers resembling double castanets) and buckets.

I got some recordings of that that I must post!

Electricity finally came on with half an hour to go (I told the school to hire a generator but they weren't keen even though the builders would have paid for it). We played four songs and packed up. At least we still got paid.

Archived