Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Peavey versus Ashdown

josh a

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't mind robb, he's picky like that.

Peaveys not only work, they usually sound as good as most of the other stuff readily available. They have always offered a couple of different lines and pricepoints, which is nice.

I think a lot of Peavey gear gets slammed because it looks cheesey. Their aesthetic design has recently improved, but some of the older stuff was full-on cheese (especially the bass gear). A lot of folks listen with their eyes.

I think Carvin is in the same boat.

Ashdown gear looks hot.

Despite the somewhat cheesy image, Peavey gear is very reliable. I had PV stuff for a long time & never a problem. On the other hand,my friend Brad(bassist for Edie Brickell & The New Boheimians) informs me that though the Ashdown sounds great, he has had a few breakdowns. he says they are pretty fragile. PV stuff may not quite get the tone you're after, but it's not fragile.
"Shoot low, most of 'em are ridin' ponies"

I have owned and gigged both and loved my Peavey gear. Just because I currently play through an Ashdown head doesn't mean I wouldn't snatch up a good deal on Peavey stuff. I say grab it.

Know what else is tough and loud? GK.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

"Peavey versus Ashdown"...

Hmmmmm, jello wrestling or the ultimate fighting octagon?

Peavey -- often built like a tank. My Mark IV head that I grew up on was a tough piece of gear.

Ashdown -- never owned, but played several models in stores. Liked the sound.

You may be in a win-win situation here. I'm not sure which direction I'd point you in!

Peace.

--SW

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

i don't mean to make it sound like i dislike ashdown. they do sound great, but i found deviating from the "built-in" sound to be a fruitless labor. also, even though i don't work for peavey any longer, i am kind of a company man. i'm proud of the work i did, and the people there know a shit-ton about good audio engineering.

robb.

I'm an Ashdown user and love the tone. But as others have mentioned, its pretty tough to tweak something else out of it than whats already the default sound.

About reliability, i've had a gig where it bailed out on me just before start. I took it home and the next day it worked just fine...strange. No issues since then though.

Try em both and take the one You like better. I don't think You can go wrong.

Warwick Streamer Jazzman 5, Fernandes LEB-2

Ashdown ABM-300, Ashdown ABM 4x10

I don't know how many pounds you should pay, but your pound will probably go farther with the Peavey. Peavey has always made gear that's built like the proverbial brick shithouse, and they've always made solid and underrated bass gear in particular. If your bass falls out of the van at 45 mph on the way to the gig, you pick it up out of the gutter, wipe it with a paper towel, and go plug it in and play four sets.

Plus, Peavey stuff is built in Meridian, Mississippi, by hard-working American rednecks. Buy the Peavey and support my people. :thu:

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

Originally posted by h364:

I Find Defintly Ashodwn, simply because you cant beat abit of good old english qauilty, but if the peavey is heavily reduced its stilla good consideration.

Would that be Made In China, English quality? ;) Rather like the Made In China, American quality of Peavey...

Now that I no longer own a Peavey bass amp, I kind of miss its utter solidity. I don't miss carrying it though!

Though I have not experienced problems with them myself, I seem to have read for more comments about problems with Ashdown gear than with Peavey gear.

Considering the enormous quantity of Peavey gear around, some of which has been in use for decades, they must have all but the best reliability rate in the business. The best way to find out is to see how many warranty returns the retailers suffer.

Alex

Originally posted by h364:

I Find Defintly Ashodwn, simply because you can't beat a bit of good old english quality...

This, from the people who brought us funny little cars with bizarre electrical problems. What was it dad used to tell me about his TR-6, MGB, and MINI? "When the heater doesn't work check the fuses first, then change the headlights."
- Matt W.

I use a Peavey 210tvx cabinet, and I love it, I do hate that it is heavy, but it sounds great. Peavey has stood the test of time Peavey is the Rodney Dangerfield of amps. I know this is a lil off topic, but I found a Peavey Nitro Bass head for $299.00 is that a good deal?
If you smell something stinking, it's juz me, I'm funky like that

Originally posted by Dr. Sweet Willie:

"Peavey versus Ashdown"...

Peavey -- often built like a tank. My Mark IV head that I grew up on was a tough piece of gear.

Mine too Doc!

I had that head for 20+ years and even though I didn't use it all the time, I could always count on it. tumbled down stairs, fell outa airplanes, rained on, spit on, run over, countless beers spilled into/onto it, it never failed to switch on. It was also capable of great tones with the switchable channels and pumped extreme volume despite its modest wattage rating and, ya know, I honestly miss the sliders on the graphic EQ. Broke my heart when it finally died.

The only drawback was that it weighed more than the 2-15 cabs it sat on. Keee-ripes what a pig that thing was!

Once again - Go Peavey young man!

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Originally posted by Matt W:

This, from the people who brought us funny little cars with bizarre electrical problems. What was it dad used to tell me about his TR-6, MGB, and MINI? "When the heater doesn't work check the fuses first, then change the headlights."

I read a review of a new automobile once - can't remember which one - that slammed the car by saying, "They were going for a mix of German engineering, Japanese reliability, and British luxury. They ended up with Japanese engineering, German luxury, and British reliability." Ouch.

"I had to have something, and it wasn't there. I couldn't go down the street and buy it, so I built it."

Les Paul

peavey all the way. Ive been playing music pretty much all my life..wether i was drumming, playing bass, or playing saxaphone, ive always found peavey equipment pretty much rises aboout the rest of the competiton. For the price..you arent going to get something better or more reliable. Im saving up for a peavey max 700 bass head. and two 4x10 cabs.. I played through one of these at a music shop. OMG, best bass set up ive ever played im my life.

kind of OT, BUT IMO. finding a bass amp is a challenge. Id say most companys out there are good. You just have to find the one that fits you best. I personally dont like the sounds of ampeg. Most people do though. Ive never really been a big fan of ampeg. its all a matter of finding the right sound to personally fit you. ive played a lot of different bass stuff. lots fit me..not as well as peavey though.

Back on topic. Id go for a peavey. hands down. ashdown is good, but peaveys are amazing.

Originally posted by wraub:

I have always had good luck with Peavey gear.

It's not fancy, but it just keeps working.

Peace,

wraub

exactly. its nothing amazing "persay". but peavey is kind of like the enigizer bunny. it keeps going and going! lol.

For those of you who are looking for a work horse something to get by. peavey is definatly one of the best choices.

I have a 1979 300 watt peavey PA head. the thing is still kickin..And trust me..its taking a lickin, a bad lickin. ive dropped it before..a few times. its been used pretty much non stop in bands ive played in..weather its to power a PA..or a bass amp..or even a guitar amp. that head is so veristile its amazing. it sounds very clear. its very loud and it gets the job done still with flying colors. I cant say enough good things about peavey. I think overall. they are probably the best company around for guitar, bass, PA, they even make pretty good drums.

I absolutely hate Ashdown amps and this is why, it doesn't matter what bass you play through them it sounds the exact same. I did an experiment in a store with a guy trying to sell me one before I bought my GK rig. I tried one first with a £1000 warwick then with a £120 starter pack Squier Precision both sounded the exact same!!

Peavey are the business!!

Originally posted by SeamyD:

I absolutely hate Ashdown amps and this is why, it doesn't matter what bass you play through them it sounds the exact same. I did an experiment in a store with a guy trying to sell me one before I bought my GK rig. I tried one first with a £1000 warwick then with a £120 starter pack Squier Precision both sounded the exact same!!

Peavey are the business!!

I hate when that happens. when an amp is so crappy you cant even tell if a good bass is going trough it or a crappy bass.

Archived