Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ric People, Who are you? � Maybe long�

DJR_Bos

Just looking for the Rickenbacker owners, lovers, hell, even haters out here.

Been the proud owner of a 72 Ric since high school. Natural maple and checked binding. Oh, I messed her up. Had it routed for a pre (ouch but gone) and replace the pickups. Also put in a Bad Ass bridge. A decision I stand behind.

I got it at 16, OK 1981, and I was a rabid Beatles fan. Loved Yes too. Oddly for the time Rush didnt work for me.

It was

1. The look Still swoon when I see her.

2. The players Not In the box really individualists

3. Feel - Beautiful

4.(yes FOUR) The tone. Sounded good no doubt. But that came later as I defined my sound. And led to the unfortunate mods. Broke musician had to make do.

Rarely play it out anymore. The Ps and Js see the stage but when I do its indescribable. Really a feeling of pride. Dunno.

Any feelings on this?

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I've got an '83 Rick 4003 that I've had since the mid-90s. I really, really love that bass. It's always sounded good, but as I've improved so has it! :D It has the most comfortable neck--I just feel like I can think about the notes & not the mechanics when I'm holding that bass. Right now I've got it strung (again) with TI flats & the sound is wonderful, sort of a McCartney thing; engage the bridge mute & it is a master o' thump. Otherwise I keep steel rounds on it--a totally different vibe that is also great. Just for fun I strung it piccolo once; I didn't keep it that way because I still wanted to play it as a bass, but the sound of a piccolo Rick is just plain wicked.

It has no collector's value (being an '83) and never will. Its white finished has faded yellow, & it has its stains, dings, & chips. It's also the best bass I've ever owned & I won't ever part with it. I wish I could clone it twice, so that I could keep different strings on all three! Why do people bother cloning sheep when we should be cloning the things that really matter?!? :idea:

Natural maple with checked binding? Sweeeeeeeeeet...

Here's mine.

http://www.geocities.com/kenfxj/Rickenbacker4003.jpg

I've only owned it for a few months, but so far I'm very happy with her. Contrary to a lot of opinions I've read, I find it to be a very versatile bass. I currently have it strung with D'addario Half Rounds as a sort of compromise. I want to experiment with different strings, as time permits. I'm curious to find what works best for me.

Push the button Frank.

I had a blond Ricky 4001,bought it used in 1979. Truss rods where FUBAR. It's the only bass I've ever sold.. (sigh!...) She'd look great hanging above my couch, but she's gone. Gone, I tell you, gone. (snif..)

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

I'd just like to point out here that Ken's Ric is quite nice to play. Heart of the Sunrise sounds groovy on that bass, especially the vocal sections.

To topic, I still occasionally pine for my lost Fireglo 4001, sold many years ago. I had it long enough to really like it, put a Badass II and a brass nut on it, and sell it for about what I paid. I think I bought an amp I hated.

Oh well.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

rics always look better in person i tell ya they just look so much smoother and sweeter up close...
all that ever has been always will be, and all that ever will be always has been.

heres mine

the only thing I would change would the space between the pick ups, I took the rear pick up cover off but I still scrape my fingers on the metal plate left behind

but you cant beat the sound

http://au.geocities.com/grumpyolcnuts/GOC/dscn3650.jpg

no beer until July 1

I tried a couple of times to get into Rickys back in the 70's but my problem was that the necks were so flimsy. They always just seemed so flexible compared to a Fender. I always liked the tone that the english cats got from them. Strange that an American made instrument was adopted by the English and not the Americans.

Rics are just flat out cooolll!!!!

I sold mine about a year ago (is it ironic that I say that after stating that they are so cool?). O.K. I don't claim to make sense.

Anyway, it was a black 4001 made in June of 1973, checkerboard binding, all original, inlays and binding had yellowed nicely. It was not a beauty queen, though. It had been played and had the battle scars to prove it. I had it for about 12 years or so.

My 77

http://users3.ev1.net/~woodd/ricken.jpg

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

I've got a P-Bass and have always longed for a Ric. Specifically a 1960s 4001 reissue (with the horseshoe pick-up) or, second choice, a 70s era 4001.

I don't understand why folks peg them as one-tone wonders. Just listen to all of the different sounds Macca got on them beginning in 1966 and running through the early 80s. Compare all of those tones to the sound of 4001s played on albums by Yes, Rush and the Doobie Brothers. There is a huge variety of tones. IMHO they are one of the most versatile sounding basses out there.

Given the hobbyist nature of my involvement in music these days, I just don't think I'll ever be able to justify the expense of a 4001. :cry:

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

Saw this listing on ebay, and had to throw it in here:

1973 Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo FRETLESS!!

You will never find another bass like this... perfectly set-up, FRETLESS from the factory, beautiful Rickenbacker 4001 Jetglo. Truly an awesome player & looker and did we mention, FRETLESS??? A unique bass for the collector or an awesome axe for the player. $2995

http://a.im.craigslist.org/Ay/Ys/YungHmzAGP3euneF8vtIil0hoQUP.jpg

:)

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

I miss my Ric to this day. It didn't really suit my playing well at the time, but my style has changed and the Ric would be so well suited to how I play now. It looked kind of like this...

http://www.mikigakki.com/img_system/D3-12_1

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

My brand new (06)4003, factory complete with the "vintage" switch which engages a different cap (? can't be sure if they removed the cap completely to give the Rics a more "modern" sound or just changed them?) in the circuitry to get that high gain bridge pickup sound that earlier 4003 and 4001's had. It really is frightening how versatile this bass is! I'm still not completely comfortable with it yet as I am still learning to lighten my touch, but it really is a thing of beauty...

http://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/empiredout/ric_small.jpghttp://i106.photobucket.com/albums/m256/empiredout/ricbody_small.jpg

I must again give thanks to robb. for posting about this bass. Once I saw the finish, I couldn't resist. :love:

I finally got my Ebay Ric & have had to spend with it... I put new strings on ( T.I. Jazz rounds)& installed black straplocks, played last night at a local Jam & it was outstanding !

The Growl & agressive bite was there as I remembered & I was able to tone it down when needed.

If anybody says you can't slap on a Ric

they're truly mistaken. I alternated between the Ric & my Jazz thru the night, strangely the Jazz has more output (is that normal ???) I had to pull back on the gain while playin the Jazz... two great sounds & totally different feels ! Here's a pic of the new Ric :

http://www.boomspeed.com/tarsia/whiterick1.jpg

:thu:

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

Getz,

How'd you get a picture of my P.C. !!!

Strangely enuff - the Apple IIE is the 1st computer that I ever layed hands on, while in College ~ circa 1982 ???

But, yes the white finish on the Ric Fish has aged into a "Beautious" cream color.

And she has a Silky yet aggresive tone, a scratch

here and a ding there, but aged to perfection I must say !

:D

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

Originally posted by tarsia:

If anybody says you can't slap on a Ric

they're truly mistaken. I alternated between the Ric & my Jazz thru the night, strangely the Jazz has more output (is that normal ???) I had to pull back on the gain while playin the Jazz... two great sounds & totally different feels !

Hey tarsia, my slap technique isn't the best by far. I find I have more luck slapping a Jazz than my Ric. However, I've heard others successfully slap my Ric silly, so I know it's mostly me. :o

I'll guess that your Jazz bass is active (your Ric is passive). The active electronics act like a small preamp to boost the signal coming out of the bass. It's normal for an active bass to seem "louder" than a passive bass.

RBG ~ in all honesty, yes the Jazz is to me the better machine for the slapping bit (not that I'm even decent at it !) but it is capable for sure.

& although my 5 string Jazz is active, the one in question, a sunburst 4'er is not active so having a preamp isn't an issue . I'm not sure if

the Ric Pup's are wired similar to the Jazz, as in if both vol.'s are all the way up they act as a Humbucker. it's just a minor issue I noted .

in any case ~ ROCK ON !!!

I'm Todbass62 on MySpace

tarsia ~ hmm ... the Jazz in question wasn't active, huh? Are you going through the mono or Ric-O-Sound jack on your Ric?

I tend to use R-O-S most of the time, and plug that into mono inputs. (I swear one of these days I'll buy the proper Ric adapter and do it right! I already have a stereo rig. :rolleyes: ) I always wonder if I'm introducing signal degradation by phase cancelation or something when I do this.

I know there's more versatility to be had by going through the mono jack and having full control over the p'ups. Sometimes it's nice, though, to only have to worry about one knob. [i usually dime my volume(s), so with R-O-S the only thing left to adjust is one tone knob.] Call me lazy. ;)

Not too long ago there was a discussion on slap tone for G&L basses . The consensus seemed to favor using both pickups and at least some mid scoop (or alternatively low and high boost). How do you set up your Ric for slap?

Archived