Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ric People, Who are you? � Maybe long�

DJR_Bos

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Oh, you brought a Ric.... er, we've got a P Bass in the back room. Tune it up and I'll mic the B15"

Yeah, that's a kind of acidic feeling when you hear a response like that to a Ric. Even in '08 there are still some people who think this way. Mostly this is due, I would guess, to the fact that Rics aren't as common and are a little more "mythic", so people attribute weird qualities to them as a whole.

Yeah, if yer attack is sloppy a Ric may get clicky a little more easilly than a P Bass. But those A--Holes that wouldn't even let me get it out of the case really left me with a baaad feeling. (though I must admit Ive heard some early Rush where Geddy is very guilty of this.)

Well, Geddy pulls it off because he makes it his. It's just a style issue; it's nothing the guitar forces on you. I like having the option (of being able to be trebley or not) rather than the provision against (being trebley).

...I like having the option (of being able to be trebley or not) rather than the provision against (being trebley).

BINGO! - This is one reason my P-Bass frustrates me. It is so limited tonally (although the limited tonal range works in a wide variety of applications), but I cannot get any top out of it to save my life. Once again, the frustration of being a Ric bass afficianado who cannot justify the expense given my current priorities in life (I just dropped $5k on braces for kid #2).

Mudcat's music on Soundclick

"Work hard. Rock hard. Eat hard. Sleep hard. Grow big. Wear glasses if you need 'em."-The Webb Wilder Credo-

I know this was asked a while ago in this old thread, but I have a Ricky and a Geddy Lee Jazz. I used to have an early 80's JetGlo 4001 I bought used in 1987 but I stupidly sold it a few years back. Then just a few months after that I decided I really needed a Fender Jazz, so I got a Geddy Lee. Now I also have a Chris Squire signature which is totally awesome but I don't really ever use it.

I also had a Rickenbacker 5 string for a while which was kinda not a great instrument. Sounded pretty cool, but the string spacing was pretty close and the shortish scale length made for a floppy B string.

Now I also have a Chris Squire signature which is totally awesome but I don't really ever use it.

What? That's a joke right? You basically just said, "I have one of the sickest, best crafted Rics out there, but eh." Why don't you use it?

I also had a Rickenbacker 5 string for a while which was kinda not a great instrument. Sounded pretty cool, but the string spacing was pretty close and the shortish scale length made for a floppy B string.

Everyone I've talked to has consistently reported the same problem. Hopefully they can return to a 5-string some day without repeating the same mistakes.

I just sat down with a used 1980 Ric 4001 at Manny's Music here in NYC. It had a cherry-red finish, did not look like a standard fireglo. Oh my, was that an amazing experience, I wish I had more than a lunchbreak to play it :D

Price: $2800

The tone was there. The feel was there. The money wasn't. I've been having some serious GAS for a new fish, but haven't decided on a 4 or 5 string. If its a fiver-Stingray, four-Ric in jetglo (black).

I figured I need a nice present for starting a new job next week :)

I Now I also have a Chris Squire signature which is totally awesome but I don't really ever use it.

Yes, Hello Ms. D. Ric people are a teensy bit rare around here. But you have one of the classic recreations from the 60s. In the same vein as my c63 McCartney Ric.

Specifically - Any comments on the horseshoe pickup? I've found no one about to discus this with.

I've found it to be very powerful and very, very raw. The sound of a string being plucked period. Kinda cool. I also read that Squire has had his bridge pup, horseshoe, disconnected for years.

Oh, and the lessened mass of the CS. Notice anything really obvious there? Enquiring minds want to know. Y'know?

Anyhoo, it's great that Rickenbacker is producing instruments at the superior quality we'd expect. They had a few questionable years. Maybe '70 to '90? Can't say for sure. Played a few awful ones around '80 that made me stop looking at them for a long time except for a quicik pluck.

A perception the Ric sound is all high end and fret noise. Clickety Clickety. Through the late 80s and 90s I dealt with this BS from a few recording engineers.

"Oh, you brought a Ric.... er, we've got a P Bass in the back room. Tune it up and I'll mic the B15"

Fortunately I did not have this problem when I brought my 4003 in for a couple of tracks recently. However, the engineer saw me pull out my Zoom BFX and said something like "You're not going to use that, are you?", to which I replied I had no intentions of recording with it, I just brought it to use the tuner. So the guy obviously knows crap when he sees it. ;) (This is the same engineer that couldn't get a hot enough signal from my Galveston. I still have to get that one to a tech.) So, complaints about all my other bass gear, but no hesitation to record the Ric. :thu:

I know this was asked a while ago in this old thread, but I have a Ricky and a Geddy Lee Jazz. I used to have an early 80's JetGlo 4001 I bought used in 1987 but I stupidly sold it a few years back. Then just a few months after that I decided I really needed a Fender Jazz, so I got a Geddy Lee. Now I also have a Chris Squire signature which is totally awesome but I don't really ever use it.

Evidently I missed the greatest attraction Seattle has to offer when I visited there last Fall: Lizzy D's bass collection. (I did make it to Bass NW; even bought a t-shirt.)

Go for it, Nick!

If you're serious, you may as well put your order in now. By the time yours is built, you'll have received at least one tax refund, probably two, and you'll have had plenty of time to save up.

Yknow? It was nice moment. May have actually married the right one the second time around.

I had the Lowdown JamTrack going in the living room and strapped on a bass to see what I could do with it. Through an amp. Very rare. The bass was the new,to me, Ric 2030.

This actually lead to a conversation about much she likes the sound of it AND how it's nothing like the either of the 4001s or my P-Bass.

Shes already made it clear that she generally prefers the Fender for Serbian/South Slavic music. Long story. But the wife is actually listening. :eek: And to basses.

She loves music, though she's not a trained musician, and is hearing all this stuff I usually need geeky males to talk to about.

What a keeper. And she loves the Rics. Maybe me too(?) :blush:

Nick - I can't help you with white.

Ludlow Guitars has two ( !! ) red ones in the window and a black one hanging inside. I think the reds are old and the black is new.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Now I also have a Chris Squire signature which is totally awesome but I don't really ever use it.

What? That's a joke right? You basically just said, "I have one of the sickest, best crafted Rics out there, but eh." Why don't you use it?

1. I need a 5 string for most of what I do

2. The horseshoe seriously gets in my way (although I have taken it off now)

3. I prefer the tone of my Sadowskys

4. it was a gift and not something I would have purchased, even though I am a HUGE Yes fan, so it's more of a collector's piece for me

If I played in a Yes tribute band, naturally I would play it all the time. :cool:

Specifically - Any comments on the horseshoe pickup? I've found no one about to discus this with.

I've found it to be very powerful and very, very raw. The sound of a string being plucked period. Kinda cool. I also read that Squire has had his bridge pup, horseshoe, disconnected for years.

Yeah, I did find that soloing the neck pickup and slamming on it with a pick really got that Squire sound. All around the bass sounds fantastic. As I said in my post above, I removed the horseshoe covers. Not sure if that affected the sound, I think it may have slightly less low end now but it's so much better for me to play without them because that's right where I like to pluck fingerstyle.

Oh, and the lessened mass of the CS. Notice anything really obvious there? Enquiring minds want to know. Y'know?

No, I didn't notice anything obvious but I don't have another Rick to compare to now. It doesn't seem much different in terms of body thickness than the other Ricks I used to have.

Here's a pic of it so y'all can drool:

http://www.lizzydaymont.com/images/gear/Rickenbacker_CS.jpg

This is of course making me want to pull it out and jam along with Drama. :rawk:

Lizzy, if you ever get sick of that 4001CS (and I know you won't), let me know.

I heard that. That white Ric is fabulous. There's been alot of nice pics on this thread and like I said in Rizzo's new thread, I'm feelin' the :love: for a Rickenbacker.

Cassius, can you post a photo of your bass?

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Here you go.

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/cassius987/afg4003-01.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/cassius987/afg4003-04.jpg

You can see my reflection in the next one!

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/cassius987/afg4003-03.jpg

http://i26.photobucket.com/albums/c130/cassius987/afg4003-06.jpg

Made in fall, 2007.

Honestly, it's become my staple bass in every way ever since I've had it. I can use it for just about anything! Just twist around the volume and tone knobs and you can go from stoner rock to rockabilly and into R&B. For the record, the new 4003s are really versatile, and have a HUGE low-end response that most people are unaware of. I usually have to adjust for it, because I prefer less "air-pushing" than the Hi-Gain pickups are capable of on full blast. Not better than any other bass, per se, but my personal favorite, for certain.

Archived