Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedals and effects

Basskickerboy

Hey, I'm a beginning bassist. I'm in a Highschool band that plays Rock, Punk, and Classic Rock. I've been trying to check out pedals and stuff, but have no clue as of where to start. All these pedals that exist just leave me dazed and confused. I'd really like to get started on a pedalboard, but have no clue where to start, and where to end. If it helps, I have a Fender Rumble 100 Bass Amp and a Peavey Milestone IV.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If you don't know where to start, don't get any effects.

Keep practicing. Try to copy the basslines you hear on records.

When you hear a bass sound on a record that you really like, do some research to find out how they got that sound. If they used an effect, and you've "just gotta have that sound" then buy the effect.

I own a handful of effect pedals and I almost never bring more than one of 'em to a gig. Most of the time I just play straight into my amp and turn it all the way up if I need distortion.

For me, the best place to start is something like a half decent Multi-effects unit like the Korg AX10B or Pandora. Most effects are good enough to use live, you will get a good idea of which specific effects you want, and you won't break the bank trying to figure out what effects you really want down the road.

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Here's a site with some example mp3s. Not always of the highest quality, but it will give you some idea of how some of these sound.

http://www.geocities.com/basseffects/

Get a halfway decent compressor or maybe a tuner pedal to aleviate some of your GAS pains. There was a very good thread on compressor pedals recently, HERE!

Once you get a set list going with your band then try to decide where the bass needs something a little different in the songs you are playing. Once you find out where those spots are then decide what needs to go there. Could be overdrive, boost, distortion, phase, fuzz, whatever.

hmmm. maybe start with a tuner-pedal that's also a bypass/mute pedal ( here ). that's something basic you get real usage from in a live situation. don't start by buying expensive stuff, in the beginning you have no clear plan in buying effects (well, i didn't anyway), after some years you just know what you need. try out some effects at your local store. also try out some second-hand pedals (if they have any)... . the hyped difference between pedals is not always that big. expensive pedals do sound different maybe, but, if you must, only buy these after playing some years, after you know you want to go through with this.

Please buy a Boss TU-2. I hate listening to people tune. There are other ways to "silent tune" but this is a great pedal. Great for switching basses, muting between sets, whatever. A must have in my opinion.

As for the rest, good advice has already been given. Wait and see what you need down the road. Don't buy it until you REALLY need it.

Listen to this man, he knows about buying stuff.

Sorry, just "spredin the 'luv".

Good suggestions stevec

kudos

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

Yeah, I think I'm on my 3rd one. Not because they are crap, but because I keep selling them and then realizing that I need it back.

At least when I get my rig together tomorrow (SansAmp BDDI and rack kit for my Blue Max) I won't be swapping stuff out any more.

Just experimenting with effects....

Originally posted by SteveC:

Just experimenting with effects....

I got lucky with the experimentation, I played around with effect models on pro tools, played around with effects from friends, and I didn't even buy a pedal until maybe 2 years into it. And even then it was just a cheap distortion that broke within a month.

But anyway, when I got down to the nitty gritty, I was able to try out what I was looking at, try out the competition, and buy for a fair price.

Right now I'm pretty darn happy with my big muff, memory man,and boss tu2. I will be recieving a volume pedal, and pedal board soon, and I've already gotten all the goodies...power, cable kit, yada, yada.

I figure once I get my phaser itch scratched I'll be good to go.

Hiram Bullock thinks I like the band volume too soft (but he plays guitar). Joe Sample thinks I like it way too loud (but he plays piano). -Marcus Miller

The way I see it, you'll know what pedals to get after YOU KNOW WHAT PEDALS TO GET. In other words, when you hear a spot for a cetain sound that a pedal can achieve buy the pedal, if you don't need a pedal don't buy it.

Experiment before you buy if you can.

There have been more than a few threads on this subject. Some of the old timers have been through literally dozens of effect pedals. Some even have pictures of the rigs. Here's my two cents in 1979 dollars ...

1) - take your axe to your local SuperMegaSamashGuitarCenter. Find a cab close to what your normally use. Flash some cash or plastic and tell the coolie behind the counter you want to test drive "that". Maybe you'll luck out and get someone who knows something, or hope beyond hope, a real friggin' mucisian!

2) - Go to some websites. www.bossus.com (I am NOT a Roland shill) has an interactive "pedal board" that allows you to hear what some effects (alone and in combo) sound like.

3) - Figure out what you are playing. I play mostly classic '60-'80's metal, hair metal and psych. I like a little overdrive and chorus to give me that warm, fuzzy, '60's feel, crank up the overdrive for some of the raunchy '70's and 80's sound, a little wah so I can sound like Geezer. A little compression keeps me from stepping on the guitarist.

Remember, what ever you buy will will replace in three years. Ask Jeremy!

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Originally posted by SteveC:

Please buy a Boss TU-2. I hate listening to people tune. There are other ways to "silent tune" but this is a great pedal. Great for switching basses, muting between sets, whatever. A must have in my opinion.

As for the rest, good advice has already been given. Wait and see what you need down the road. Don't buy it until you REALLY need it.

I'm confused... What's the difference between a pedal tuner and just a regular old tuner? Like a korg or something. Is it just more convenient?

It depends on what "regular tuner" you have. I like the TU-2 Tuner pedal because it's a tuner and a mute all in one. Step on it and you are muted/tuning. You can silently tune or switch bases without the "pop" from your amp or the PA.

Many people here ues a "regular tuner" with great success as well. I just relly like the TU-2 pedal.

BK-Boy,

Got any friends or associates w/ rad pedal boards? I know it's been useful to me to try friends' pedals. Also, given the relatively small size of most pedals, I've given pedals to friends to take home for a weekend or a week (e.g., a friend w/ a home studio is currently experimenting with my SansAmp BDDI, and another took my EBS MultiComp out for rehearsal and a gig). Maybe you know some folks who would do that.

Although getz76 might now tell you that friends shouldn't let friends drive their Z. Vex Woolly Mammoths...

BenLoy gave some good advice above. Don't sweat the pedals so much right now -- unless there's a sound out there for a tune you play that you really want to try to emulate, and foresee as a sonic preference that you might make future use of.

Peace.

--s-dub

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Indeed, I'm thinking of putting a warning label on the Z.Vex Woolly Mammoth.

BKB, don't buy any pedals. Honestly, with the questions and responses we're getting from this thread, my advice would be to concentrate on playing bass first. Effects come later.

If you want to experiment, think about buying a multi-effects board, preferably something used off of ebay. Experimenting with effects and reading is the best way to learn about what happens and how things work.

Check out Harmony Central's tutorial on effects. GO HERE - EFFECTS EXPLAINED .

Later, you can go crazy-go-nuts. I have about $1,400 in pedals, pedal-board, power, and cabling. It's good to know what you want before you start dropping cash like that.

PS - Did Willie just use the adjective "rad"? Jesus...

Originally posted by getz76:

If you want to experiment, think about buying a multi-effects board, preferably something used off of ebay. Experimenting with effects and reading is the best way to learn about what happens and how things work.

Later, you can go crazy-go-nuts. I have about $1,400 in pedals, pedal-board, power, and cabling. It's good to know what you want before you start dropping cash like that.

Exactly what I did. Bought a Zoom 506 fairly early on. Messed around with it loads and even used it a bit at gigs. A few years later, went crazy. I'm not going to add up the cost of all my effects - I know it's more than the cost of all my basses!

However, I'm not using a single pedal with my current band, but my solo stuff continues to be covered in bees.

Alex

Zoom 506II was my first effect pedal. :thu: I agree with the others though, I played for a few years before I even started thinking about effects. I bought the Zoom with some x-mas money from my in-laws and started experimenting at home. After the "WOW this thing so totally RAWKS!!" factor wore of, I began realizing that there were only a couple effects that I was truly interested in and had a use for. I then sold the Zoom and bought a couple dedicated pedals.

If you really want to experiment with effects, the Zoom is only $50.

At NAMM, I talked to the ZVex Woolly Mammoth people. And they actually talked me out of buying one.

It's quite an extreme distortion effect. When I use distortion, I'm just trying to get a Jack Bruce type sound....overdriven Marshall amps. I don't really want a fuzz sound.

By the way, for our original poster, I played bass professionally for almost ten years before I bought my first effect pedal. No one ever asked for an effect.

My first effect pedal was a Mu-Tron III. I was trying to emulate sounds which I heard Larry Graham make. (He used a Seamoon Funk Machine). I later bought one of those, but the Mu-Tron is actually a lot better.

If you have a specific sound in mind, then maybe you need an effect. Otherwise, don't worry about it.

Originally posted by jeremy c:

At NAMM, I talked to the ZVex Woolly Mammoth people. And they actually talked me out of buying one.

It's quite an extreme distortion effect.

It is indeed extreme. If a regular distortion sound is like a punch in the groin, the Woolly Mammoth is more like a hatchet to the head.

I love it. :D

I agree with JC on this. I went for years without effects, and it helped me listen to my tone, my bass, my amp, and my playing, without "stuff" in the way.

Later, I also acquired a Funk Machine (I prefer it to the Mu-Tron, actually, for most things), along with some others I have held on to, as well as a couple I abandoned over the years. But, I hardly ever use 'em.

Definitely go as far as you think you can before swimming your sound in the effects pool. Although you might give the Zoom a try, just to find out what does what, that would be my advice.

Peace,

wraub

I'm a lot more like I am now than I was when I got here.

It is indeed extreme. If a regular distortion sound is like a punch in the groin, the Woolly Mammoth is more like a hatchet to the head.

I love it. :D

This statement brought a tear to my eye, just beautiful.

Originally posted by groover:

Zoom 506II was my first effect pedal. :thu: I agree with the others though, I played for a few years before I even started thinking about effects. I bought the Zoom with some x-mas money from my in-laws and started experimenting at home. After the "WOW this thing so totally RAWKS!!" factor wore of, I began realizing that there were only a couple effects that I was truly interested in and had a use for. I then sold the Zoom and bought a couple dedicated pedals.

If you really want to experiment with effects, the Zoom is only $50.

I gots me a 506II err... too.

One of those can be snagged for a decent. Actually... I've still got mine so if you're interested you can have it for $50 + shipping.

Fun multi-effect, but cheezy digital, instead of rad analog!

[/shameful sales pitch]

Originally posted by BenLoy:

If you don't know where to start, don't get any effects.

Keep practicing. Try to copy the basslines you hear on records.

When you hear a bass sound on a record that you really like, do some research to find out how they got that sound. If they used an effect, and you've "just gotta have that sound" then buy the effect.

I own a handful of effect pedals and I almost never bring more than one of 'em to a gig. Most of the time I just play straight into my amp and turn it all the way up if I need distortion.

Mr. Loy is a wise man. Heed his sage-like advice.

I'm just now really getting into using effects and I've been playing since '67. Over the years I've plugged one in from time to time, but I was never into it. Interestingly enough, the first effect I ever used with any regularity was a Mutron III. I still have it.

In just the last few months, I've started buying pedals because I'm hearing things in my head that I can't get any other way. I have to give credit to the guys at GC for having patience with me while I go thru the buy and return, and buy and trade until I get what I'm looking for. I've actually been thinking about dusting off the Mutron and putting on the board.

Big fun for an old man!!

L Tucker

Nice, nice, very nice.

So many people in the same device.

I have a friend wo was going throught the same thing. I'm giving him an extended loan on my old zoom 506. I told him to keep as long as he likes.....I' :cool: m expecting it anytime now....

OK, so this Zoom 506 II thing you guys are sold on is pretty good? Or just a cheap alternative to the Digitech RP stuff. Musiciansfriend has the whole RP series rated much better than the zooms. I'm just wondering, which is better, the Zoom or the RP? I'd like to hear it from you guys, b/c I am not all that trusty of MF. I'd like to check geartree out for it, but they dont have reviews or ne of that juicy stuff. Thanks for all the advice guys. I just don't know where I'd be without you.

Originally posted by BenLoy:

Do you turn your power amp up or your preamp gain?

how safe is this for your equipment?

gk boasts of even order harmonic distortion that can be acheived from their voicing filters, is this distortion the same as what you, benloy are trying to acheive?

2cor5:21

Soli Deo Gloria

"it's the beauty of a community. it takes a village to raise a[n] [LLroomtempJ]." -robb

My YouTube Channel

Originally posted by Basskickerboy:

OK, so this Zoom 506 II thing you guys are sold on is pretty good? Or just a cheap alternative to the Digitech RP stuff. Musiciansfriend has the whole RP series rated much better than the zooms. I'm just wondering, which is better, the Zoom or the RP? I'd like to hear it from you guys, b/c I am not all that trusty of MF. I'd like to check geartree out for it, but they dont have reviews or ne of that juicy stuff. Thanks for all the advice guys. I just don't know where I'd be without you.

Its not that the zoom pedals are better, it just makes more sense to start out with a disposable pedal that has all the sounds there for you to hear. Its a good way to find out if you really need effects, and if so, which ones are most useable to you.

Archived