Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can't we all just get along?

J.A.

Has anyone noticed that there has been a lot of hostility on the board lately? The flaming has been mean spirited, and the reponses to flaming haven't been much better.

Having been on this board for a year, I'm just about at 200 posts. I know this isn't a lot compared to some that have more to say than I do, but it is enough to have a grasp of the general attitude of the forum. A lot of us (myself included) are sarcastic, but lately it's been a little brutal.

I think it's important to remember why we're all on this forum- to share our love of bassplaying, music, and oftentimes life.

Just thought it needed said. Please don't beat me with sticks.

Insert inaccurate quote here

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the forum was meant to be strictly an informational (and gear-related) forum as were the other instrument specific forums.

But, it has turned into a social forum more than an informative one now.

I believe that is what the SSS is for. But that is a dark, dark place.

...the Eye is watching you. :eek:

;)

http://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/blue.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/black.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/fuscia.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/grey.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/orange.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/purple.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/red.JPGhttp://www.briantimpe.com/images/LDL/dots/yellow.JPG

Newbies have an excuse to be a little ignorant of what the Spam Police say the rules are. Ironically, the spam police aren't really doing much else except for beating up on the guys who don't have the local handshake down yet.

We have been noticing this issue.

And I see a little piling on.

Play nice.

"Let's raise the level of this conversation" -- Jeremy Cohen, in the Picasso Thread.

Still spendin' that political capital far faster than I can earn it...stretched way out on a limb here and looking for a better interest rate.

From a newbie's perspective, the "you're a spammer" flames, and the "try using the search function" flames seem all too common around here.

I have had some very good and helpful responses and input to my questions, but there does seem to be alot of flame in general around here.

It is mostly a good forum, with much good info.

One can spend a long time reading the archives, but can feel a little hesitant to contribute for fear of an aggressive response if the input is deemed to be unworthy of the discussion at hand by a long time poster.

....JMHO as a relative newbie :thu:

Originally posted by Mr. Phil:

I think the forum was meant to be strictly an informational (and gear-related) forum as were the other instrument specific forums...

As the ads surrounding us indicate, someone is investing advertising dollars that help subsidize this forum and, through our cooperation, encourage other advertisers and underwriters (musicplayer.com) to keep this forum alive. If the actions of a few, no matter how "well intended" or "non-threatening" chase away potential customers, this could spawn reactive actions such as suspension/revocation of user privileges or the posting of a fee (in lieu of contributions) to make up for lost advertising.

I'm not clear why we need "spam police" when we have moderators who could perform similar tasks, confidentially, so as not to embarass newbies or guests from other countries who already view Americans (yes, notice how the majority of flames come from us?) as aggressive, inconsiderate and relatively illerate brats? To that end, I can't recall a single female forumite guilty of this kind of behavior.

If I have something to say to someone and I wasn't into teasing them (and there's a fine line between teasing and offending) I'd prefer to do it privately. And I respect enough of your opinions to not comment on them, or worse, mount public assaults on first-time offenders.

So I ask again: if we have moderators, why do we need spam police?

end-of-rant

Sorry, folks--being a "newbie" is no excuse for not using available tools (such as the "search" function).

Posting a new thread on a topic which has been covered before is, IMO, an indicator of non-rigorous thinking.

It suggests to me the poster will subsequently place less value on the informed responses that several of us invest time (and hard-earned experience/research) into posting as much as someone who has performed suitable due diligence.

Face it--what is SO unique it requires a new thread?

HOWEVER, flaming someone for not using the "Search" function is totally inappropriate.

Suggesting they use it is well within the norm of appropriate etiquete.

My 2 cents.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

In all seriousness, there has been much discussion as to the usefulness or lack of usefulness of the search feature.

Also, keep in mind that most of the noobs to this forum (opinion, not based in scientific fact) got here after being on one of many other music, musician and bassist forums. I myself had lurked on two other forums before actually registering for this one. Typically, they are coming from forums where the thread goes as follows:

Feildy sucks.

No, he doesn't.

Yes, he does.

No, you suck.

No, you suck.

No, your mother sucks.

ad infinitum You can insert Peavy, Rap, Pop, Jaco, Sting, anyone with the last name of Simpson, and/or Nu-Metal in for Feildy for additional threads.

So, assuming the search function is difficult to find (I had trouble finding it), intrinsically lacking in function and that they [noobs] are coming from forums that are somewhat lacking in maturity and intellectual content, plus the ever present noob first post (myself included) "Choose my next bass, choose my next cabinet, or buy my CD", maybe we are a little hard on the new members.

Today's noob may be tomorrow's Greenboy or JeremeyC.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I agree Social but, that's how I got to know GB, and Jeremy has always (I think) been peachy. And I'm guilty (Rom. 3:23?), but it's fun for me sometimes, like letting off steam. I guess, I need a punching bag...oh crap my fingers, that won't work. I'll practice More! Promise. :D

Vince

"Every child is an artist. The problem is how to remain an artist once he grows up." ~ Pablo Picasso

It's easier to ignore the worthless threads if EVERYONE ignores it. However, the piling on effect that DBB talks about is alwasy going to be an issue. Once the ball gets rolling on a thread, especially the ones that are INITIALLY CONFRONTATIONAL or the ones that are CLEARLY SPAM , it's usually going to get ugly.

Ugly isn't always bad, it's a way of life. These conversations are not unlike real life conversations.

The moderaters do a good job here, but I wouldn't want to go overboard and neuter the place.

As far as getting along, I can get along with anyone and I'll kill the first person that says otherwise! :mad:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Yeah i've both noticed and been a part of it, loosing my temper in my last thread. I mean i dont lose my temper....ask anyone...IM THE MOST MELLOW GUY ON THE PLANET!!!!! :mad:

...ahem...i'll just get my coat and find my own way out.

Seriously this forum is,for the most part, filled with some very down to earth people so it could be worse. I recently made my first venture into the SSS forum, its dark and scary in there...never again.

Much Love :thu:

Dave

"I am just an instrument cos the lord is playing this funk"-T.M Stevens

Originally posted by getz76:

However, the piling on effect that DBB talks about is alwasy going to be an issue. Once the ball gets rolling on a thread, especially the ones that are INITIALLY CONFRONTATIONAL or the ones that are CLEARLY SPAM , it's usually going to get ugly.

True, and I think (again opinon vice scientific) that could possibly be the result of "A", "B", "C", and "D" responding to a thread or post without a) reading the entire thread or b) not refreshing the thread prior to posting an answer.

Net result if four or five people, making what they believe to be an original response to a post pretty much simutaneously. Giving the apperance of "piling on".

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

It seems to have gotten pretty bad right before the elections. The thinking people I know all have an excitability isuue if they discuss politics or religion at length. Just a thought.

Let's face it, everyone gets pissy from time to time. I myself occasionally will say something stupid and someone will usually call me on it. But this is my first forum and I joined because I liked what I saw immediately. Respect, comraderie and real help/information. Three things it is unusual if not unheard of to aquire on other so called bass forums. Of course it's not perfect but it is a far cry from the others.

This is still the only forum I will come to on a daily basis and that's saying something 'cause there are lots of fishing forums out there. :freak:

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

One thing that has been obvious for a long fricking time: people who don't know much or think much love to have these kinds of threads because it makes them feel they've contributed too.

Miss manners indeed. Let the meek inherit the forum and all you will have is meek thought, meek vision, and meek intentions.

Blah blah blah.

Put some meat on the bones or STFU.

Originally posted by Luke73:

Face it--what is SO unique it requires a new thread?
...OK so everybody just search from now on, and stop posting new threads.

Result?

Forum dies.

:wave:

No, what will happen is that information is kept in context.

Isn't that the REASON for these forums--information sharing?

Forum dies--if it dies for the reason you stated so be it.

So many of these new post have been routine--as if the poster thinks there is an "Expert" sitting here just waiting to reply. This is not the case...

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

Hey, I'm not saying don't use the search function. I've used it extensively and read alot of great information from old threads.

Just that it's getting to the point where people feel obliged to insert a disclaimer in front of every new thread saying...

I've tried search but couldn't find anything. Please don't flame me.
IMHO it's sad that people feel obliged to do so.

It's all about balance :thu:

The seach engine here kind of sucks. I think that's been said with some specific examples here before. Nonetheless, it can eke out a few good things. I'd say it's the human contingent here that fails to go deeper and wider. Same old jokes, pretty stale, told on a daily basis. Not so bad when they are connected to some actuall musical content and actually illustrate a greater truth.

Context is everything. Try to put stuff in a useful context that raises the level again. This place has sunk to drool level. A lot of the conflict arises from that. It takes both good intentions and good thought to break free of the trite and the mindnumbing.

Blah blah blah. I spent too much time on this thread already.

Originally posted by greenboy:

The seach engine here kind of sucks. I think that's been said with some specific examples here before. Nonetheless, it can eke out a few good things. I'd say it's the human contingent here that fails to go deeper and wider. Same old jokes, pretty stale, told on a daily basis. Not so bad when they are connected to some actuall musical content and actually illustrate a greater truth.

Context is everything. Try to put stuff in a useful context that raises the level again. This place has sunk to drool level. A lot of the conflict arises from that. It takes both good intentions and good thought to break free of the trite and the mindnumbing.

Blah blah blah. I spent too much time on this thread already.

****takes advice, goes back ad deletes all own lame posts alluded to in greenboy's post*****

Wow, my post count is zero. :confused:

You can stop now -jeremyc

STOP QUOTING EVERY THING I SAY!!! -Bass_god_offspring

lug, you should add that statement to you signature.-Tenstrum

I'm not sure any argument can top lug's. - Sweet Willie

Archived