Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Can't we all just get along?

J.A.

I have to admit, in order to stay somewhere in the current most people are traveling in, that I too have posted some stuff that doesn't do me proud.

Oddly enough, it's been favored over what I consider the essential. Humor is great. We need lots of it. But it sure helps that it also means something more. That's the best.

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

OK, there is a search feature, ok, some of us are not wacky about it, and noobs don't use it because a) they want to contribute, b) they can't use it, c) they are in reality the Dark Load, Chuckels the Silly Piggy.

I am sure if I use the search feature I can find, say, a thread about flatwounds vs. roundwounds. And in the last year, the flatwound and roundwound technology probably hasn't made any significant leaps, but brands are constantly coming and going. And the brain trust on this forum would see this thread re-introduced and think it has been run to its logical conclusion and ignore it, the intermediate members might jump on it for a while, while the rookie bassits will still come away lost. Sometimes bringing them back up fresh isn't a bad thing, with the possible exception of the JeremyC "Theory" thread, which should be read in its entirety by all new members, then a quiz taken.

It's the irrestable force meeting the immovable object of forums.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Probably no significant brand name changes have been made in electric bass string technology for several years now, save for players of extended range instruments. Just thought I'd clear that up ; }

EDIT: Save for more have hopped on the coated strings bandwagon, and that may eventually give the consumer great value.

The strings were an example, maybe a poor one. I guess I could have used P vs J bass, active vs passive, 4 vs 5 string, fretted vs. fretless, Hartke vs Workingman, Boss vs Digitech, Lemmy vs Geezer or Triple H vs Sean Micheals.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

I've got a theory (sort of) and a possible suggestion.

First of all, I think that the time of year might have something to do with the higher tension noticed here. It's the time of year when things start getting cold, and in my experience, that transition makes people sick and not necessarily in a good mood at first. Second, it seems like lots of projects at work and school seem to pile up around now for people in various positions, so that might also have something to do with it. I bet by Christmas time, though, it'll be merry again :-)

Any sociologists out there? Is Dr. Willie a sociologist? I thought I remembered somebody mentioning that at some point. :-)

Anyway, as far as the search feature sucking, I think that's not an unfair asessment, but I agree with what GB mentioned at one point: it's hard to make a case to do drastic things with this forum from a bottom line standpoint. However, I was thinking about that, and I've got the beginnings of an idea forming. It's just a thought, but perhaps worth sharing...

First of all, this is a great forum. Over the last year and a half, this has basically been the ONLY internet community I bother with or frequent. I make occasional stops at other places, and even post once in a great while (there's a sticky thread on GameWinners.com about how to work around a scratched disc in Final Fantasy VII that bears my name....I'm a huge, 22 year old nerd), but other than those occasional visits, this is it for me, and I think that has a lot to do with the PEOPLE here, not just the subject matter.

Fundamentally, this is a group of people, and the forum is the people. We have a common suggested theme, but in the end WE make this forum what it is. And I think this is a damn good forum, as far as people go. I think that the people that make this forum can help improve things, even the technology.

I was thinking that perhaps some kind of micro-payment system might work. You know, I'd pay 12 bucks a year to frequent this forum, and I think there are others here that feel the same way. Now, I am NOT suggesting making this a "paid for" service. However, what I'm thinking is that regular users can search and read and even reply to threads in the forum, so it's still a useful and free reference for people. However, what if only the paid accounts had the ability to post new threads? That could give incentive to people, and prevent passers by from posting frivolous topics as frequently as they do.

Wait, there's more! Now, if funded in some way, there would be more justification to make some changes/upgrades, like a more advanced search feature, sticky threads (this could REALLY help), etc. And there could be other perks for "premium" members, as well, like being able to "mod" threads the way posts are modded on Slashdot, so that threads could be rated by users, say from 1 to 5, in categories like "Funny", "Informative", "Interesting", "Flaimbait", etc. which could further enhance the usefulness of the forum and make it even easier to find useful information using the search feature.

These are just some thoughts I had. Corrections, criticisms, modifications, etc. are welcome!

unkownroadband.com - step into the unkown :-)

Archived