Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Who Is A Genius?

Good call there Tedster. I would define Wisdom as Intellect modified by Love, which equals Power. I really think those are the two great forces in the human world. Intellect without Love is cold and can become Evil. Love without Intellect can be misguided and impotent.

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I got a whopping 133 on the emode IQ test. Hey it could've been a lot worse after what I did to myself in the sixties, seventies, eighties....come to think of it it's a good score after what I did to myself today. :p So I'm almost a genius! he he! Anyway, the test described my type of intellect as a "Precision Processor". Sounds like a new DSP chip.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

[quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Sylver: They have a bunch of other tests in here. One is "Who's you inner rock star. I apparently am Lenny Kravitz.[/b][/quote]It told me i was Tommy Lee. I think Kathy Lee is probably more accurate..... or Regis! -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Sylver: [b][QUOTE]Originally posted by Sylver: They have a bunch of other tests in here. One is "Who's you inner rock star. I apparently am Lenny Kravitz.[/b][/quote]It told me i was Tommy Lee. I think Kathy Lee is probably more accurate..... or Regis! -d. gauss http://www.betteroffdead.com [/b][/quote]lol, at least you didn't get Donny Osmond.
I really don't know what to put here.

The El Question is, if you're not genius.....can you recognize true genuis......or you just recognize the given person is just way more intelligent than yourself! Or we just parroting what someone else defined as genius? I was just happy as a lark someone didn't say something ludicrous like "Tupac was a @#$%ing genius"..... :)
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

[quote]Originally posted by Hippie: [b]I believe Dr. Cornel West is a genius. Check him speaking if ever presented the chance. He will have you on the edge of your seat with his words. He covers 'big' topics of race, religion, etc. He has an insight on these tough topics that is fair & truly mind blowing. Matt[/b][/quote]He is one of my fave thinkers in the world today.
Down like a dollar comin up against a yen, doin pretty good for the shape I'm in

For me, the genius is a person who has an ability to achieve certain things (great, groundbreaking results in whatever form of creativity) just using his/her intuition. The knowledge and experience count as well of course, but the intuition is the key word here, IMHO. To name a few... Hey, some of you already did this! Why double? :)
I am back.

[quote]Originally posted by Retsdet: [b] [quote]Originally posted by Franknputer: [b]The answer is, of course, obvious... :D [img]http://www.craiganderton.com/craig.gif[/img][/b][/quote]Brown noser... :D :D :D [/b][/quote]You mean it wasn't a trick question?? :eek: :freak:

One more vote for Ol' Man Feynman. last week, I read his "biography" (more like a collection of short stories about his life) entitled "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman." His enormous problem solving ability, versatility, and lack of pretension seem to be second to none. Not only was he instrumental in the development of the Atomic bomb during WWII, he was an expert safe cracker and lock picker, he played a type of drum for a somba band in Brazil, was an acclaimed sketch artist, learned to speak Portuguese and Japanese, was a successful amateur biologist, gave a speach as an expert in ancient Mayan number systems, and to polish it all off, a Nobel Prize for the development of the equations describing the beta decay of sub-atomic particles. All this, and he never lost his sense of humor. After reading the book, I must say, I'm a fan.

[quote]Originally posted by velvetoceansound: [b]One more vote for Ol' Man Feynman. last week, I read his "biography" (more like a collection of short stories about his life) entitled "Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman." His enormous problem solving ability, versatility, and lack of pretension seem to be second to none. Not only was he instrumental in the development of the Atomic bomb during WWII, he was an expert safe cracker and lock picker, he played a type of drum for a somba band in Brazil, was an acclaimed sketch artist, learned to speak Portuguese and Japanese, was a successful amateur biologist, gave a speach as an expert in ancient Mayan number systems, and to polish it all off, a Nobel Prize for the development of the equations describing the beta decay of sub-atomic particles. All this, and he never lost his sense of humor. After reading the book, I must say, I'm a fan.[/b][/quote]Absolutely!! I'll step into that parade. That's one of my all-time favorite books, and an excellent glimpse into the mind of a true genius.

[quote]Originally posted by Cereal: [b]Everybody has that one little area where they shine. In my case, I can take a very messy garage and make it extremely clean in 8 hours. I have this uncanny sense of garage organization. [/b][/quote]Cereal... when are you coming over to clean my garage? :) It's a complete disaster! I'll record you in my studio in exchange! :D --Lee

[quote]Originally posted by Groovepusher Sly: [b]Genius: Anyone using 11% or more of his brain. Sly :cool: [/b][/quote]I guess this quote refers to the "we only use 10% of our brains" theory. Just to clairify, that is a common mis-quote. In reality, we use ALL of our brains, the scientific community at large only understands what a portion of it is for. In fact, the percentage of the brain that is mapped is much higher than 10% now, as that is a very old quote. Ask any neurologist.

[b]KATE BUSH[/b] (no family ties with George W.)
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

My "inner rock star" was Ricky Martin. :eek: Please: Someone shoot me. NOW! I'll supply the firearm. :eek: :eek: :eek: I figured it was some kind of mistake, so I re-took the test, and changed the things that I was wishy-washy about... and it gave me... THE SAME DANG THING! ...help... :cry:

Hey Phil, Good post. I'd observe that, despite all the expectaions and pressure associated with being recognized as "above average" you ended up devoting youself to exactly what you wanted to do in life! Even if you are a bit of a tortured producer/engineer as a result of your discriminating perceptions and high expectations, at least this is the form of torture you chose. This is good. It could have been very different. I am sometimes surprised when I learn of the background of some musician, songwriter or producer with an image of a show biz type. Usually these images turn out to be very shallow and the real people actually turn out to be quite intelligent. I wonder if the community of professional musicians/songwriters is more intelligent ( IQ or whatever) than the average population. What about the community of performing artists in general? Would be interesting to find out.

Check out some tunes here:

http://www.garageband.com/artist/KenFava

I took the emode test, it tells me 135. And that I'm a Visionary Philosopher. Umm, bullshit. Except that they say that Visionary Philosophers love chocolate. Yeah, that's right - but how many people don't like chocolate? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b]My "inner rock star" was Ricky Martin. :eek: Please: Someone shoot me. NOW! I'll supply the firearm. :eek: :eek: :eek: I figured it was some kind of mistake, so I re-took the test, and changed the things that I was wishy-washy about... and it gave me... THE SAME DANG THING! ...help... :cry: [/b][/quote]Don't take it so hard, Phil. It just means that you are "sensitive".

Hey Phil, I ain't a genius like you but we are both, apparently, Ricky Martin. I may be the only 300lb+ Ricky Martin on the planet. -- Rob Wanna see me shake my ass and lip synch?
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

Hmmmm according to e-mode, I have an IQ of 138, I am a visionary philosopher and my inner rock star is Chris Isaak (I am smooth with the ladies and they just can't get enough - yeah right).
Our country is not the only thing to which we owe our allegiance. It is also owed to justice and to humanity. Patriotism consists not in waving the flag, but in striving that our country shall be righteous as well as strong: James Bryce

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b] Mostly this: being told "you're so smart" all the time as a kid and being expected to "live up to my potential". I can't tell you how initially unhappy my parents were that I decided to do what I do instead of going to Harvard or something and become a lawyer... The other thing that sucks is this: When you're told all your life that "you're so smart you can do anything you want to do - whatever you decide to put your mind to", then how in the heck do you decide WHAT to do? Having relatively limitless options is not strictly liberating, it's also somewhat confining within the realm of one's own mind. The other thing I find is that I tend to be extremely hard on myself. I tend to hold myself to nearly unattainable goals and unrealistic standards of performance. That can be extremely depressing. I don't know if that comes along with the intelligence or with the increased expectations heaped upon intelligent children by parents, teachers and friends. Maybe it's a bit of both. [/b][/quote]Preach on, brother! There was a time in elementary school when they wanted to bump me up a grade. Mom wouldnt let them. Damn, I wish she would of! School bored me to tears. Maybe if I'd of been bumped ahead, it would of been more of a challenge and I would of gone on to college. That will haunt me forever.

"Meat is the only thing you need beside beer! Big hunks of meat and BEER!!...Lots of freakin' BEER."

"Hey, I'm not Jesus Christ, I can't turn water into wine. The best I can do is turn beer into urine." Zakk Wylde

http://www.hepcnet.net/bbssmilies/super.gif

http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/15_1_109.gif

In elementary school, they wanted to put me into the MGM program (what they now refer to as "GATE"). My mom wouldn't let them. I wish that she had. Those kids got to produce the daily TV broadcasts and fun stuff like that. It certainly would have made school much more interesting... I agree - with a few notable exceptions (courtesy of a few outstanding teachers) it was nearly a complete bore until college. Justin, don't let not going to college haunt you. First of all, I know a LOT of people with sheepskins who don't have enough sense to pour piss out of a boot, and others who basically "bought" their degrees. If you want to go to college, then you should do so. Go ahead and list any excuses you want... time, money, obligations, "it would take too long" etc. etc. They're excuses. If you REALLY want it badly enough, you can always find a way. You're a bright guy. Look at it this way. Say it takes you ten years to get through it by attending part time. So what? If you DON'T do it, ten years from now you'll just be ten years older and have nothing substantial to show for it. If you go for it, you'll be ten years older and have the knowledge that you accomplished one of your dreams. College isn't everything in life. Not by a long shot. But if it is important TO YOU, I say by all means, go for it. Please don't take this wrong. I'm not trying to be critical... I'm just trying to encourage you to do what you REALLY want to do with your life - whatever that may be. I think everyone should do that. Seems to me that someone much wiser than I am once said that people do the best at what they love... and they will love life all the more if they enjoy what they do. So follow your dreams!

[quote]Originally posted by Phil O'Keefe: [b]There's so many definitions of "genius" that you would really have to look at it from a multitude of directions...[/b][/quote]"IQ" is an arbitrary determination of one's mental worth. Michael Jordan is obviously a genius in his ability to analyze a problem and determine an optimal solution; would he score high on an IQ test, just because what he's good at *mentally* isn't taken into account by a written quiz? Maybe, maybe not. I hate that some of the standardized tests are "accepted" as an indication of "overall intelligence". [b]The other thing that sucks is this: When you're told all your life that "you're so smart you can do anything you want to do - whatever you decide to put your mind to", then how in the heck do you decide WHAT to do?[/b] You don't, it picks you. The problem is when what you pick isn't something with a 1:1 effort vs. monetary reward. The problem is when your intelligence isn't efficiently integrated. I admire people who get it together in an efficient way. That integration is the key to success, that's (another) concept that should be taught in grade school. I scored "exceedingly high" on the Stanford-Binet when I was around 6; I haven't been able to utilize this to any degree of practicality, outside of being able to get by in a relatively comfortable manner doing something I like (music). In this way I consider my intelligence "feral", undisciplined. Perhaps partially my fault, but mainly the result of a disposition not congruent with "traditionally accepted" methods of teaching. On the other hand, I'm concious of that and prefer that uniqueness; I don't think I'd have been any happier neccessarily had I pursued programming, or applied myself to some other more lucrative market. The point being, "intelligence" does take many forms, and it can't be quantified empirically with a test. IMO. Or rather, what's the point to it without a prerequisite outcome? What good is being a genius on paper if your life becomes a shambles? In that case the whole notion of an "I.Q." doesn't serve any use. "Genius" as a generalized term is useful though, I think. [b]Lennon / McCartney George Gershwin JS Bach[/b] Definitely. [b]Cole Porter[/b] Eh... dunno about that. [b]Brian Wilson[/b] Probably. [b]Rivers Cuomo (no, not a typo)[/b] Definitely clever enough to put himself across as such. The way he's recombined certain pop cliches may appear to be "genius", but it's based on being clever with picking non-obvious sources based on a formula of socially reversed-logic. He gravitates towards diametric contrasts in pop culture that are "unhip" and then gives it a "macho" aggressive/underground cool edge. It's a great formula and makes interesting music, but I don't know if he's a genius based on that. It's kind of like an audio equivalent of what Madonna does with her image, which one might consider as genius. [b]Miles Davis[/b] Yes. [b]Burt Bacharach[/b] Probably. [b]my world. Sounds like a Elvis Costello line off his new album... "I love you as much as I hate your guts" or something like that. Add Elvis Costello to the "genius" list. :) [/b] Lyrically, maybe. People used to ask me about this all the time, so I used to have a joke of a "genius" list on my web page years ago.. I don't know if it's still there or not. Richard Feynman, the father of modern quantum physics, is an example of fully integrated super genius. He was obviously brilliant mathematically, but he was still "cool" - he carried it off well in all aspects of his life, NOT the stereotype. There's a book of anecdotes he's said about his life ("Surely You're Joking, Mr. Feynman") that is a very entertaining read, accounts of genius being applied at every turn in a person's life, to great effect. Coherent thought applied consistently is something to be admired I think. (as an example of non-coherence in daily life, I have obviously not applied intelligence in staying up until after 4 am once again while being completely exhausted physically. Knowing full well this will affect me mentally tomorrow. Ack. Hopefully this amuses someone)

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

Interesting stuff,dammit, I was waiting for someone to suggest "a team" as you have,ie Lennon/McCartney , so I'm going to suggest Becker and Fagan.....collective genius.
I once had a quasi-religious experience..then I realised I'd turned up the volume.

ozzy osbourne. firstly revolutionising metal... then as he starts to lose popularity releases his own festival, charging bands and making a sh!tload of money. then finally making a reality TV show about his family. makin heaps of money, and good music... ozzy is a gun. :thu:
- roses on your breath but graveyards on your soul -

Archived