Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Looking For Ingenius Cat Person

No, this isn't a SWM seeks actively bisexual beastiality inclined female ad :) But.... Since this is a party atmosphere I figured that I can ask this question. We bought our cat, Phydeaux, a catnip filled toy that has an elastic string on it. We hung it from the ceiling and Phy took one swipe at it, grabbed it on the return, and chewed through the string! Bastard! Anyone know anything we can use to secure this thing so he doesn't chew through it? I thought of fishing line but worry that he'll cut his gums on it (although if we could teach him to floss...) Anyone been there, done that? -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well, if you want to get kinky, how about using chains? :D Seriously, it might be a thought. Small chain (like the kind you hang your lammies on) should be sturdy enough for that, and I doubt the cat would be too interested in chewing on it. Depends on how well you can secure it to the toy, I guess. Or - maybe some strong shoelaces, like bootlaces?

Frank, chain had crossed my mind too, but that would be a little harder to attach to the toy. I think he would chew through boot laces Cereal - we like the cat! We want to keep him. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b](although if we could teach him to floss...) -- Rob[/b][/quote]Didn't you just answer your own question there? Also seems like a good opportunity to ressurect [url=http://www.musicplayer.com/ubb/ultimatebb.php?ubb=get_topic;f=1;t=002627;p=1]this thread[/url] [img]http://www.plauder-smilies.de/puke.gif[/img]

When I get toys like that for my cats, I don't hang them up where the cats can just get at them any time they want. If it's the dangling-on-a-string variety of toy, I only take it out when I'm there and I want to play with them. I dangle it around for them and let them bat it. When they catch it, I get it away from them and start the game over if they start chewing the string. They do have toys they can use any time. One is a ball on a spring that stands upright, and the others are catnip filled stuffed toys that aren't attached to anything. --Lee

How did I know I'd get referenced in this thread? Oh yeah, the word "cat" is here. Nevermind. Okay, my cats, when they were younger and more inclined to do anything but eat, sleep, poop and occasionally barf on my audio gear and computer all day, used to chew through the little elastic thing on their toys immediately. I think the idea of a sturdier but safe attachment, like a shoestring, is a good idea. I just don't know how you'd secure it to the toy. Glue sounds like a bad idea...so does a staple. Hmmm. - Jeff

Yeah, Jeff, I wonder why anyone would bring you up in this thread? :wave: The toy is a stuffed hippo, so tying whatever I decide to use around his neck would work OK. d.gauss: Acoustic or electric? Wound or unwound? Nylon or steel? What gauge? GMS, Dean Markley, D'Addario or La Bella? -- Rob

Okay here's the problem. You can't hang a catnip toy by a string because they want to chew into it and rip it to shreds, get it all over your carpet and roll around in it while staring at the ceiling crosseyed. The elastic is fine, but you need a non catnip toy hanging from it. Our main Manx will pull it off the door facing occationally, but they won't tear up the string nearly as often.

DC, this toy comes with its own elastic. I don't think it's really stuffed with catnip, I think it's just the smell of it. Maybe I'll use some steel cable :) -- Rob

Well, we have 3 & 1/2 cats (one's outside a lot, the others inside guys). It goes without saying that you'll need to repair the elastic and/or reattach the toy mouse on a regular basis. There's another cool toy that cats dig. It looks like a big doughnut (about two feet across) and has slots in the top and sides and a ball that zings around in the middle.

DC, when we put it up he had it down in two minutes. This goes beyond periodic maintenance :) Wewus and where02190: I'm not even going to dignify those with a serious answer. Vopt: Give the man/woman/beast from Alpha Centauri a prize! Yup, that's a Frank spelling :) When we made the first appointment at the vet the receptionist asked me his name, I told her and then spelled it for her. She paused and then said "You're just trying to give me a hard time, right?" A cat named Phydeaux - really screws people up. -- Rob

I thought the deal with catnip was to let them get good & loaded on the stuff. You know, let em take it off to a corner somewhere and have a real good sniff - then they start to behave wacky and be entertaining... :D How would you feel if someone left dangleing a big bag of coke or grass, just out of your reach? I think those toys are '2 weeks, then get a new one' type of treats aren't they? Let em have it! :wave:

Jules

Producer Julian Standen

London, UK,

Come hang here! http://www.gearslutz.com

[quote]Originally posted by Dwarf: [b]DC, when we put it up he had it down in two minutes. This goes beyond periodic maintenance :) Rob[/b][/quote]Well, the only thing is to pick something that won't hurt their teeth such as guitar strings etc. I think fishing line might be your best bet.

It sounds like you need to construct a "Mr. Thingy" (look it up as a Gary Larson cartoon...) PARTS: 1. cheapo fishing rod and reel 2. fishing line 3. small and soft, spherical catnip-stuffed toy INSTRUCTIONS: Attach part 3 to part 2, which is previously attached and threaded to part 1. OPERATION: Find a Comfy Couch. Sit down. Wait until cat unwittingly approaches. Cat will feel secure in the sight of you, the All Omnisciently Powerful Human Food Deity Incarnation. Cast the Mr. Thingy behind the subject cat. This will cause great consternation in said cat, at which point cat will be forced to retaliate in order to preserve it's honorable 2,000 year + lineage. Subject cat will pretend it does not realize that the OPHFDI is actually controlling said Mr. Thingy. Thereby, the Mr. Thingy will provide the subject cat with a very satisfying Ultra Violence experience while the OPHFDI relaxes comfortably in the cushioned sofa, manipulating part 3 of the Mr. Thingy to the amusement of subject cat a safe distance from the aforementioned 2,000 year old evolution-maintained Hyper-Sharp Razor Claws. Trust me, outside of a laser pointer (which probably isn't too safe for the cat or the human to be playing with) there's no better and lazier way. $5 fishing rod from a pawn shop, a trip to the grocery store, that's it...

Guitar Lessons in Augusta Georgia: www.chipmcdonald.com

Eccentric blog: https://chipmcdonaldblog.blogspot.com/

/ "big ass windbag" - Bruce Swedien

[quote]Originally posted by Chip McDonald: [b]It sounds like you need to construct a "Mr. Thingy" (look it up as a Gary Larson cartoon...) PARTS: 1. cheapo fishing rod and reel 2. fishing line 3. small and soft, spherical catnip-stuffed toy [/b][/quote]I would substitute a weed whacker for the rod & reel :p

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

[quote]Originally posted by DC: [b]Well, we have 3 & 1/2 cats[/b][/quote]That poor half cat. You don't want to know what the other half is, but it's amazing what vetrinary medical science can do these days, what with grafts and hybirds and all. :D - Jeff

THAT is really twisted. I once accidentally got my dogs head caught in a big glass jar( she was trying to get the dog treats out of it) and she was running around the yard like a space dog. Finally had to tackle her to get it off.

Hey - my alternative rock band is called Circle The Cat, and yes, I am an ingenious cat person. Simply accept the fact that your cat is the boss of your home: he gets anything he wants, he sits on anything he wants. Don't bother with cute little toys like that - he might get into the habit of biting on them, and then he'll go for your studio wires (mine did until I moved my stuff into a "real" studio, sans cat)! Just get those cheap cardboard scratch post pads, put a bit of 'nip on them every week or so, and he'll be purring like crazy. -kid music

[quote]Simply accept the fact that your cat is the boss of your home: he gets anything he wants, he sits on anything he wants.[/quote]This is what I was thinking. The sooner you accept this fact, the easier your life will become.

[quote]Originally posted by felix: [b] [quote]Simply accept the fact that your cat is the boss of your home: he gets anything he wants, he sits on anything he wants.[/quote]This is what I was thinking. The sooner you accept this fact, the easier your life will become.[/b][/quote]Oh, believe me, we're well aware of who the boss is around here :) We just ike to try and outsmart him on occasion. -- Rob

Archived