Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

I don't get Tom Waits

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I appear to have made the mistake of mouthing off about something I know nothing about. If you knew someone who had $16.99, and wanted to get aquainted with Tom Waits, what would you recommend? Frank p.s. Nice to know that some folks still give a damn about the music they listen to.

I appear to have made the mistake of mouthing off about something I know nothing about. If you knew someone who had $16.99, and wanted to get aquainted with Tom Waits, what would you recommend? Frank p.s. Nice to know that some folks still give a damn about the music they listen to.

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b]If you knew someone who had $16.99, and wanted to get aquainted with Tom Waits, what would you recommend?[/b][/quote]MULE VARIATIONS is a good start -- it's got a little bit of everything on there... IMO, Waits is all about the sincerity and the emotion -- check out "COME ON UP TO THE HOUSE," "HOLD ON," and "COME ON UP TO THE HOUSE" -- AMAZING! The production on the record is equally cool... In the realm of Waits covers, everyone seems to be forgetting Springsteen's bastardization of "Jersey Girl." Enjoy! Best regards, Rob

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b]I appear to have made the mistake of mouthing off about something I know nothing about. If you knew someone who had $16.99, and wanted to get aquainted with Tom Waits, what would you recommend? Frank p.s. Nice to know that some folks still give a damn about the music they listen to.[/b][/quote]Swordfishtombones or Raindogs fall nicely inbetween Tom's traditional and experimental stuff. Enjoy ... but beware of the one-armed midgets.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

This: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/1899882758/qid=1021040844/sr=1-3/ref=sr_1_3_3/026-1084543-6383649 Has to be read to be believed. Depending on your mood it's either pitifully hilarious or downright awful and depressing. How a guy can write a whole book on something he doesn't have the first clue about, I'll never know.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

[quote]Originally posted by spigots: [b]If you knew someone who had $16.99, and wanted to get aquainted with Tom Waits, what would you recommend? [/b][/quote]Go for the [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1005222268/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/ArtistID=ONE+FROM+THE+HEART/ITEMID=317490]One From the Heart[/url] soundtrack (hey, it's actually selling for under $10!) if you want a taste of his older drunken lounge piano style, [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1005222268/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=WAITS*TOM/itemid=454619]Raindogs[/url] if you want some of his most accessible "weird" stuff :) , or [url=http://www.cdnow.com/cgi-bin/mserver/SID=1005222268/pagename=/RP/CDN/FIND/album.html/artistid=WAITS*TOM/itemid=309104]Swordfishtrombones[/url] if you want a little bit of each style (as previously mentioned by someone else, "Soldier's Things" is a heartbreaker... "Johnsburg, Illinois" is terrific too). FWIW, "Swordfishtrombones" was the album that got me into digging Tom Waits.

There are lots of folks that don't "get" Waits. He is an artist. An artist doesn't create to "sell". The length of his career is a tribute to his artistry. True art, the kind of work done by Tom Waits and a very few others, simply has to be given expression. Whether or not it appeals to the masses (it seldom does) is the smallest of concerns to the artist. Of course it nice when they do get noticed and appreciated because it gives them exposure that they might never have otherwise. There is no classification for true artists. It's only after the money grubbers get hold of an artist like this that a genra is born. Tom Waits is such a moving target that there'll never be a Tom Waits genra. Is it blues, jazz, R&R, country, is he a poet in the same vein as Kerouack, a "musically inclined" performance artist? It's not really possible to pin a label on him. He may have his periods or phases and they change. And he still creates words and sounds and music that affects the listener emotionally. And that's the finest kind of art. The first thing you notice about him is his alley trash voice. Soon you notice that his words are saying something you've felt or thought about yourself. The next thing to catch your attention are the sounds he uses in his recordings and then you come back to the words and if you really listen, you start to hear a lot of emotion in that growl that comes out of his mouth. I've only been turned on to Tom Waits for four or five years. I remember seeing him in a movie or two but he was pretty much sitting in the background playing piano on an Orbison special I saw one night and he caught my attention (Now where have I seen that face before?) and I made an effort to find out who he was and what he was all about. It wasn't that easy considering the amount of music this man has to his credits. But, try walking into a Sam Goody's and asking for a CD by that guy that was playing piano on SNL or in the background in an Orbison DVD. I finally found a small independent music store run by a guy that knows his stuff and he was very entheusiastic about Waits. Without a doubt, he appeals to me because I've got a feeling that he and I have been to some of the same places, maybe dated some of the same women and probably pulled some of the same stupid tricks. Maybe not at the same time, but we've both been there and done that. (Sorry for the cliche!)

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

ME: "Nobody knows the troubles I've seen!"

Unknown Voice: "The Shadow do!"

Or you can try Big Time, his live album from 1988 - you get a various assortment of his stuff up to '88 plus you get to hear his stories. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

I say start with Raindogs and give it a could 10-15 listens before you judge. Gun Street Girl. Wow. Jockey Full of Bourbon. Please! What an album. Big Black Mariah w/Keith Richards. Yum.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

You might try one or both of 2 Tom Waits compilations available. "Used Songs (1973-1980)" has songs from "Closing Time", "Nighthawks at the Diner", "Heartattack and Vine", etc. "Beautiful Maladies" has the more recent Island Records material from "Swordfishtrombones", "Rain Dogs", "Bone Machine", etc. I'd add another vote for "Swordfishtrombones" as one album to recommend.

Oh, oh, oh...gotta go with Rain Dogs! If you're going to start someone out on Tom Waits, do it with Rain Dogs! I've got a proven track record with that one. Everybody from my little teenage sister to the classically trained Debbie Gibson-loving cellist in my band has really dug Rain Dogs. The songwriting is great, the backing is fascinating and there's a lot of damn catchy stuff on it. So...please, take your $16.99 and get Rain Dogs. Even freakin' Rolling Stone magazine declared it one of the best albums of the 80s. Must have. Amanda

[quote]Originally posted by Boggs: [b]Is it Tom Waits who does the song "Have A Little Faith In Me"[/b][/quote]John Hiatt. He wrote it. Wewus - you're right - it's on "Bring the Family" (great album - one of my top 50) ... Lipstick Sunset (on Bring the Family) also sounds kinda Tom Waits-ish, but it aint.

John Hiatt is another one of our greatest songwriters that everyone has covered but does not come across that great live. Slow Turning is one of my all time favorite albums. Are you ready for the thing called love? That whole album kicks ass and a lot of it IS country music. John's problems were he rocked a little too hard for Nashville and he drank too much (now recovered) but he is an amazing songwriter. You'd be surprised how many people have coverd his songs. I am so glad I got that album/CD thing worked out, now I just say ALBUM.

<> ah, speaking of hiatt, could that Little Village record have sucked any more than it did? john hiatt, ry cooder, keltner and nick lowe. it had such potential. i think i smashed mine... -d. gauss

Yeah, Little Village didn't live up to their potential, but they were cool live. I saw them in '92 in Austin at SxSW at had a grin for a week. John Hiatt on his own is usually better than LV. -- Rob
I have the mind of a criminal genius.....I keep it in the freezer next to mother.

[quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]could that Little Village record have sucked any more than it did? john hiatt, ry cooder, keltner and nick lowe. it had such potential. i think i smashed mine...[/b][/quote]LOL! Glad to hear someone else thought that too ...

"Little Village, mother*****r, Little Village!!!" :mad: -The Original (Sonny Boy Williamson II) Mr Downchild's second response to Leonard Chess' repeated inquiry about the name of the song they were about to record.

[quote]Originally posted by music-man: [b] [quote]Originally posted by d gauss: [b]could that Little Village record have sucked any more than it did? john hiatt, ry cooder, keltner and nick lowe. it had such potential. i think i smashed mine...[/b][/quote]LOL! Glad to hear someone else thought that too ...[/b][/quote]My copy sat on a shelf collecting dust for many years, until I traded it in 2 weeks ago for $2. Used it to buy a Randy Newman compilation...now THAT'S a great CD.

SET the scene:Many many years ago, Waits was playing a club in Toronto, (this was just at the begining of the raspy voice period, he actually has a couple of albums where his voice is not mangled), and we're walking up an alley behind the club to take in the last set. There in the alley is a poor schmuck, on his knees, puking his guts out as we draw even with him he stands up wipes off his mouth on his sleve fumbles out an old gold smoke and grins at us sure enough it's Tom. He staggers into the back door, without saying a word and gives an out standing performance of some the best songs ever written, complete with a stripper in G string and pasties, ( it was Toronto the good after all) doing a bump and grind. think the voice comes part from sctick and mostly from hard living and too many smokes. I gave up on Tom after Sword fish trombones 'cause i thought the production of hi works from that pointon got in the way of his incredible songs. He ranks with Randy Newman and John Hiatt and Elvis costello and Bob Dylan as one of the best song writers ever. Take care Logan

• 4 weeks later...
Didn't Tom Waits originate "I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"? What a genius, all the way around. Musical originality, lyricism that's a cross between Alfred Doblin and Raymond Chandler, a persona that's as unforgettable as World War II.... what's not to like?

Archived