Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What's more important: the studio gear or the musician

I listened to in interview om MTV that was held with Larry Mullen JR from U2. He said that the best studiogear even can make the worst drummer and other mus. sounds great. I dont agree with that. Thinks as : A groove, feel, technique and the heart and soul .... fills and licks and the capacity of "hearing and personalising" a song cant never be replaced by gear gadgetts The two should work together. I think that the best musicians even make the worst equipment sound cool. I have seen and hear it happen Agree????

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Two words: David Lindley. He can take the biggest piece of trash guitar and make it do absolutely WONDERFUL things. As much as I like / respect Larry, I have to disagree with him and agree with you Era - it's the musician, not the gear that makes the biggest / best contribution. A '59 Les Paul in the hands of a six year old doesn't turn him into Clapton, and even a fully equipped studio doesn't CREATE art... it may capture art, edit art, refine art - but a PERSON actually creates it. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

I agree, however, after reading several musicians forums (including this one), there seems to be an attitude that you cannot make good music without high dollar name brand equipment or software. Less expensive stuff gets laughed at and the answer for most beginners is "spend more money". If everybody really thought the musician makes the music, there would be a lot more support for the little guy without the major label budget. If Springsteen can have a major release recorded on a four track cassette in a hotel room, why must everybody else have Pro Tools, etc. to make good music? The hardest lesson I have learned in the last five years is to stop thinking I could make good music "if I only had _______". My attitude now is if I can't make good music with what I already own I probably can't make good music. Remember this the next time you suggest an upgrade as the only way to sound good...Maybe a few hundred hours of practice with what you got would be better.

Mark G.

"A man may fail many times, but he isn't a failure until he begins to blame others" -- John Burroughs

"I consider ethics, as well as religion, as supplements to law in the government of man." -- Thomas Jefferson

THE MUSICIAN. Period. The tools are just tools to help the musician sound better. In some extreme cases, those tools can CREATE a great performance from a terrible one but that's cheating... if anyone cares about cheating :D ...

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

A bad musician will sound even worse if the gear isn't up to snuff. A good musician can make a bad piece of gear sound good. The gear doesn't mean didley squat if the performance is lacking...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

It's all about the musician and his/her own creativity. So many untalented musicians focus too much on their look and their gear, that they forget to practice!.... thus churning out the same tired crap. It's not about your matching outfits, or how long you can grow your dreads... it's what you play, which inevitably comes from your natural creativity.

i dont think its an 'either or' situation. i have found over the years that my abilities and my equipment are intertwined. as i progressed personally my standards moved up in tandem.my hearing became more critical as my playing got better and that in turn caused the increase in quality of the tools.just my simple 'pov'. :) s
AMPSSOUNDBETTERLOUDER

For me it's always the musician. Sometimes you use the great musician on some cheap gear, and sometimes you pull out the expensive stuff. Either way it's about the performance and song. Though from an engineering standpoint you need to have the option to use the expensive gear to see if it will help or hinder the performance. Rob

Rob Hoffman

http://www.robmixmusic.com

Los Angeles, CA

"Fix it with the mix" is a bit overblown and most often applies to singers that are a bit out of tune. I've also played with a certain guitarist that could make even a Peavy amp sound sweet. But for some reason he always thought he always needed the latest and greatest. I guess everyone gets GAS. Robert

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

Was Billy Holiday recorded using Pro-Tools? Maybe what Larry mean't was that it takes state of the art gear to make U2's passionless performance sound good. I've always liked U2, but they started losing me when that whole Negitiveland happened. I think they've been coasting for some time now. :confused:

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

era music, ik ben het volledig met je eens :) (I totally agree with you :) )
The alchemy of the masters moving molecules of air, we capture by moving particles of iron, so that the poetry of the ancients will echo into the future.

There is no telling what was on his mind or what point Mullen was trying to make. As for the original question, I don't "need" AAA gear to make me sound good. All I need to sound good is practice. Giving great gear to suspect players is referred to as "turd polishing". Funning thing is that after all the polishing it's still a turd.

I think what he was trying to say is that he's probably seen a lot of bands that probably sounded good on record and sounded like shit live. Good equipment can help a bad decent player. I hear guitar players all the time using effects and they probably think they're doing something cool. Stomping on a box and bending a string doesn't seem too hard to me... But a cool stomp box will probably make you sound cool. hahahahahahah

I finally bought an expensive (to me) mic pre and by golly, I can tell a real difference in our sound when I track a bunch of parts through it and listen to them playing back together. Have I replaced older keeper tracks that were through a Mackie? Yeah, sometimes, but if the feel is right, sometimes there's no improving a take. I'll take the great performance over the better fidelity every time. You wanna hear McCartney singing through a radio shack mic, or some Creedish, closed throat jackass singing through a Noyman?

[quote]I've also played with a certain guitarist that could make even a Peavy amp sound sweet. But for some reason he always thought he always needed the latest and greatest. I guess everyone gets GAS. Robert [/quote]I'm using a Peavey right now and I kick ass with it. Musician, performance, no question. But for me, it's not about the best gear, just the best gear for my ear, something that gives off the sound that I identify with. Unfortunately, I identify with some expensive tools. Such is life. Namaste Jedi

"All conditioned things are impermanent. Work out your own salvation with diligence."

The Buddha's Last Words

R.I.P. RobT

Archived