Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

more about Beatles covers

i just heard some of the [url=http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1450546/20011106/story.jhtml][i]Sam I Am[/i] soundtrack[/url] , Sean Penn got a bunch of people to cover Beatles tunes. what are some of the best Beatles covers? i like Jimi Hendrix: Day Tripper Nina Simone: Here Comes the Sun Caetano Veloso : Elanor Rigby Soundgarden: Come Together extra points for compiling an actual Beatles album with all cover versions

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Some of the better covers I've heard... The Neville Bros. version of "Come Together". It COOKED. Plus, I can't remember who the guy on guitar was, but he was a total smoker. Heard 'em do it live. Steve Hillage, an old one..."It's All Too Much". I still like Joe Cocker's covers of "Little Help" and "She Came in Through the Bathroom Window".
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I love Jeff Beck's versions of "She's A Woman" (from [i]Blow by Blow[/i]) and "A Day in the Life" (from George Martin's [i]In My Life[/i]). There's a cool pair of recordings from the early-mid nineties called [i]Come Together- A Guitar Tribute to the Beatles[/i], Vols. 1 and 2, that has some great stuff, like Allan Holdsworth playing "Norwegian Wood."

Best Beatles cover of all time? This is a no-brainer: The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton's stuff on The Sgt Pepper movie! :eek: :p :rolleyes: What? I'm still alive? I'd have thought you folks would have lynched me by now... Seriously, my votes go to the following: Joe Cocker's version of SCITTBW Jeff Beck's version of "She's a Woman" Kenny Rankin's version of "Blackbird" [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

As much as I liked the movie, "I Am Sam", I thought the use of the Beatles' songs was pretentious and showed poor judgment. I think the movie would have been more powerful using an instrumental version of "Two Of Us". The rest of the score should have been instrumental. It could have been instrumental vague variations on Beatles' songs. It would have served the film better. Someone please tell these filmmakers and music editors that dialog should not be on top of a song with vocals.

GY

[quote]Originally posted by pokeefe777@msn.com: [b]Best Beatles cover of all time? This is a no-brainer: The Bee Gees and Peter Frampton's stuff on The Sgt Pepper movie! :eek: :p :rolleyes: What? I'm still alive? I'd have thought you folks would have lynched me by now... [/b][/quote]"I got us some rope, sheriff...bring that thar horse over to the ol' oak tree"... I won't eeeeeeven go into the source of my hatred for that movie. Although Earth Wind and Fire and Aerosmith redeemed a bit of it.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey Tedster, I really enjoyed "Frampton comes alive" and had high hopes for that movie (even though I didn't like the mid-70's "disco era" Bee Gees stuff... ...but by the end of the movie, where ol' Peter was standing on the roof thinking about jumping off, I was actually yelling out "JUMP! JUMP!" in the middle of the theater... and no one complained! Hey, it would have ended the movie and put ME out of MY misery - forget about Peter's misery... And I agree - Aerosmith and EWF were the only redeeming parts of the entire thing. [img]http://www.freakygamers.com/smilies/s2/contrib/navigator/usa.gif[/img] Phil O'Keefe Sound Sanctuary Recording Riverside CA http://www.ssrstudio.com pokeefe777@ssrstudio.com

yeah Benson had some good Beatles covers...but if you really wanna hear some jazzy covers of the beatles, checko out John Pizzareli (i forgot if it's an album...and if it is, i forgot the name of it, might have just been a TV special...but none the less, you can download some of those songs...shhhhh, don't tell anyone i said that). Great Jazz player, Pizzarelli is. and if you're into him, he chats with fans on his forums, on his website...i think it's: [url=http://www.johnpizzareli.com]www.johnpizzareli.com[/url] really a Grade A guy. cools, lates. waveyl [url=http://www.geocities.com/theshadesofblack]check out my band\'s website:[/url]

The music to the movie "Backbeat" was excellent. The movie sucked, but that's beside the point. How about Frank Sinatra covering "Something," which he used to introduce to audiences as his "favorite Lennon and McCartney song." OOPS!!! :D

The Black Knight always triumphs!

I loved the Grandaddy cover of Revolution, but there again, I would. Thank fuck they did something a little different with it - I'm sick of covers being like the original, what a complete waste of time.
"That's what the internet is for. Slandering others anonymously." - Banky Edwards.

The Residents' "Flying" (selected because it was the only Lennon-McCartney-Harrison-Starkey joint composition, although weren't "Dig It" and "You Know My Name" also co-written by all four?). Crack The Sky's "I Am The Walrus". 801's "Tomorrow Never Knows" (aka "TNK"). The Damned doing "Help" at triple speed. "Please Please Me" (and several others) played note-perfect by the Flamin' Groovies. Didn't Motley Crue do "Helter Skelter"? Recently picked up the Brinsley Schwarz (Nick Lowe's first band, most of the rest became Graham Parker's Rumor) 'Hen's Teeth' rarities compilation that includes several Beatles covers (all originally released under different band names!), including a version of "In My Life" consciously modeled after Yes' "Every Little Thing". Too bad that Sonic Youth never did their threatened version of the entire White Album (a response to Pussy Galore's version of the entirety of 'Exile on Main Street'). The problem I generally have with Beatles covers is that the originals are so good, it's impossible to improve on them unless they're radically changed (or, as with Crack the Sky's "Walrus", if there's the novelty of being able to perform a song onstage that would have been next-to-impossible with 60's technology).

i liked BackBeat too, but as i remember, they covered songs that the early Beatles [i]covered[/i]. pretty cool, though: Gregg Dulli: Vocals Don Fleming: Guitar Dave Grohl: Drums Mike Mills: Bass and vocals Thurston Moore: Guitar Dave Pirner: Vocals

Well, most of the ones I like have been mentioned, so I'll add ones that I'm ambivalent about: Phil Collins, Tomorrow Never Knows Laibach--the entire album Let it Be, sans the title track Is that all I can think of? For now, I guess so.
Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Somebody mentioned "Every Little Thing" - the first Yes album had a cover of it. No, not that album - the [i]first[/i] Yes album. Done in 1969. Great album. Different feel in that it had more love songs and stuff than later, but had Squire, Bruford, and Anderson with their signature sounds. Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived