Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

Originally posted by dementia13:

Is it safe yet?

Alice Cooper, "Only Women Bleed"

Dick Wagner (Frost, Lou Reed, Alice Cooper, etc) co-wrote this song, and he still gigs around Detroit.

Before performing this particular song he explains the song's meaning and is still irritated people mis-interpret it to the extent that they do.

Steve Force,

Durham, North Carolina

--------

My Professional Websites

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Seals and Crofts - "Summer Breeze"

Although I must confess, I really dig the even schlockier cover job that Type O Negative performed on it. Goth Metal!!!!

I grew up in the midst of uber-schlock hair metal bands during the mid-80's, so of course the rest of my list will be comprised of same...

Poison - "Life Goes On" - the song itself is pretty useless, but this was one of C.C. Deville's finest moments on guitar.

The aforementioned "When the Children Cry" - White Lion was the band, for you all that forgot...

(grimace) Bon Jovi - "Bed of Roses" - Lyrically, this was John and Richie's finest hour - so many clever lines...

"As I dream about movies

They wont make of me when Im dead..."

So, have you lost what shred of respect you had for me now? :D

I can't say it's schlocky, but Todd Rundren/Utopia ballads, Hall & Oates, Al Stewart, and stuff like that.

Also, arena power ballads by Journey, Foreigner, and REO, seem to go down well with me....nothing past 1984 though.

Recently, I was scanning stations on my radio in the car. I came upon the local Soft Rock station. I said to myself; "Man! This is soft Rock! Screw this crap! I'm switching the station..........um, right after this song. :D

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

Originally posted by Tedster:

Originally posted by BLAblablah:

No one's mentioned any songs by the Archies :D

Barry

Going once...

Going twice...

Little bit of trivia...Don Kirshner was trying to get the Monkees to record "Sugar Sugar".

And speaking of which, there's a lot of the Monkees catalog I liked. A lot was written by other folks, but it's good stuff. Carol King's "Pleasant Valley Sunday", Michael Martin Murphey's "What Am I Doing Hanging 'Round" among tons of others...

There was a slow ballad sung by Mickey on their second album written by Carol King called "Sometime In The Morning". For some reason that one would always make my eyes well up. I don't think the words were really sad...just the melody and the way he sang it.....lI dug it.

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Blahblablah, who the heck is the Keith guy? I used to love the 98.6 song. Must've been around '68 or '69?

I had that 45 too! The label was red. Mercury, I think. He was even in the Flip and Tiger Beat mags for a while.

Originally posted by d gauss:

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

Would you happen to know if he claimed he wrote the entire song? I'm curious because credits show Cyndi Lauper as co-writer. Was this one of those 'cut me in and I get half but it goes on the album for sure' deals? Or did she really co-write on it?

yep robbie wrote it with cyndi. now "girls just wanna have fun" is a diff story.. that was all Robert Hazzard. (and btw, he bought a horse farm with his royalty check) :)

-d. gauss

I heard it was originally "Boys Just Wanna Have Sex". I met Robert Hazzard when I was playing on Long Beach Island in the early 80s. It was when he had that "Escalator Of Life" tune goin'.

Some more I like:

He Ain't Heavy (He's My Brother)

Love Is Blue (instrumental schlock)

Angel (Aero-schlock)

Some that make me run in fear:

Seasons In The Sun

Playground In My Mind

Wildfire

...and the all-time schlockiest song ever award has to go to:

Feelings. :eek::rolleyes::P

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Professional Affiliations: Royer LabsMusic Player Network

Originally posted by Dave Bryce:

Some that make me run in fear:

Seasons In The Sun

Playground In My Mind

Wildfire

...and the all-time schlockiest song ever award has to go to:

Feelings. :eek::rolleyes::P

dB

Some other schlocky...just schlocky songs that come to mind...

"I Can't Smile Without You"...Barry Manifold

"Song Sung Blue"...Shlameel Diamond

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Hey dementia13, I believe someone already answered that Magnet & Steel was Walter Egan, but I just wanted to let you know you can come to Nashville and see/hear Walter a lot.
That's not too far: next time I'm around I'll keep an eye out.

Is it safe yet?

Alice Cooper, "Only Women Bleed"

Dick Wagner ....is still irritated people mis-interpret it to the extent that they do.

I used to hear an excellent version of that song by Carmen McRae. It's terrible how people go by surface appearances, take a quick impression and run with it. I read that when "Paint it Black" came out, people were asking if it was a command. As in, "Paint it, Black".

Gladys Knight & The Pips - Neither One Of Us (Wants To Be The First To Say Goodbye) is one of my favorite songs of all time... I don't know if it qualifies as "schlocky", but it does have a lot of sweetening (strings / harp) on it... and IMO, also one of the greatest bass lines and lead vocals of all time. :thu:

quote:Originally posted by Griffinator:

Seals and Crofts - but this was one of C.C. Deville's finest moments on guitar.

quote:Originally posted by deanmass:I don't think plural applies to CC Deville. ack!

Possessive form, like "Superintendent's," ya know!

"How many heads does a man have?"

I tend to look at schlock tunes to see where they can be made into soulful power ballads - Bridge Over Troubled Water makes a wonderful balls-to-the-wall slow gospel soul tune, as does James Taylor's Fire and Rain," the Eagles' "Desperado," and Van Morrison's "Have I Told You Lately"

But then there's Bonnie Raitt's incredible "I Can't Make You Love Me." The amazing honesty in her voice in that lyric. No one can fake honesty like Bonnie Raitt. :D

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

Archived