Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Admit a schlocky soft-rock song you like

Since hearing one band play that song, 'Oh my darling, you look absolutely shite' somehow with completely straight faces, I've never been able to hear it without cracking up :D
Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

• Replies 175
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by d gauss:

Originally posted by Anderton:

Cyndi Lauper, "Time After Time." What a great song.

curious why that's a schlocky song. mellow yes, but i mean miles davis covered it! btw, i used to know the guy who wrote it. we were out to dinner in the early 80's and he told me that his first royalty check for "time after time" was 100 grand..... scared the shit out of him. then he went out and upgraded his yamaha DX7.
Would you happen to know if he claimed he wrote the entire song? I'm curious because credits show Cyndi Lauper as co-writer. Was this one of those 'cut me in and I get half but it goes on the album for sure' deals? Or did she really co-write on it?

> > > [ Live! ] < < <

curious why that's a schlocky song. mellow yes, but i mean miles davis covered it! btw, i used to know the guy who wrote it. we were out to dinner in the early 80's and he told me that his first royalty check for "time after time" was 100 grand..... scared the shit out of him. then he went out and upgraded his yamaha DX7.... :)

-d. gauss

The Hooters were really a pretty cool pop band.

Their song "Where do the Children Go" was written about friends of mine who committed suicide. Tucked in with the album, I have a copy of a newspaper story on the band where they talk about it.

Oh, here\'s the story for you Duke

Originally posted by ihategarybettman:

It hurts me to say this because I think of the Maniacs as a hometown band (they played a LOT of Buffalo bars in the early 80s), but I much prefer Bruce's and Patti Smith's versions; to me, Natalie Merchant (who I normally like) has no sense of dynamics on that song, sings every part of it in the same sing-songy way, and sucks most of the life out of the song.

My favorite schlocky song is gonna make everyone who's played in a bar/wedding band cringe: "Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton.

I'm truly sorry.

Don't be sorry! 'Wonderful Tonight' is Grade A+ schlock! WOOO HOOOO!

And you're right about the 10k studio version of that song, it does blow. For the record, I'm referring to the 'unplugged' version, if that helps ease your hometown boy soul. :)

"Nothing is true; everything is permitted."

For the longest time I didn't know that Timothy B. Schmidt of The Eagles (Who wrote "I Can't Tell You Why")was in Poco ("Amy, whatchoo gonna Do?")
Although Timothy B. Schmidt was in Poco, "Amy" was done by Pure Prairie League.

My gear: http://fendercaster.freeservers.com/guit3.html

If you own two Lexus cars, do you have Lexi?

Hey there! First post. Great board.

Love Will Keep Us Together - Capt and Tennile

Jackie Blue - Ozark Mountain Daredevils

Things We Do For Love - another 10CC great

Ok, will this get me banned with my first post?

Silly Love Songs by Sir Paul

I'll shut up now

Dave

One Tin Soldier - I'm too young to be authentic, but I'm a hippy at heart.

Mona With the Children by a cat named Doug Cameron. It was based on a true story of a persecuted BaH'ai (sp?) woman.

99 Luft Ballons. - Nena

I guess I've got a thing for songs with a social protest type message that I agree with.

And I fully admit wearing out BOTH sides of a 45 of "Silly Love Songs". The B side was called "Cook of the House" and featured a typical Linda McCartney lead vocal. My only excuse is that I was very young then.

Paul

Peace,

Paul

----------------------

Great Thread! I'd like to add one more... "Morning Has Broken" by Cat Stevens. And for that matter, he had quite a few others that qualified. I didn't know until recently that Rick Wakeman actually wrote and played the piano in "Morning" until seeing Rick recently. He's still bitter about not getting a credit on the album.

Barry

Originally posted by Lee Flier:

Originally posted by miki:

"Because the Night (belongs to lovers)" - B. Springstein - but I like the 10,000 Maniacs version with Natalie Merchant doing vocals.

I prefer the Patti Smith version myself!
Patti's version for sure! But Patti's isn't shlock, 10,000 Maniacs brought it to "Schlockdom". Patti sounds like a crawling demon fron the underworld spinning a tale... cool.

Here's mine...

Alone Again, Naturally - Gilbert O'Sullivan

Now THAT'S good schlock.

In a little while from now

If I'm not feeling any less sour

I promised myself to treat myself

And visit a nearby tower

The guy commits suicide because he's all alone. :cry: Schlocky! It triggers this thing in me still that I felt as kid listening to that song. Sad and schlocky.

As far as schlocky touchy-feely songs goes, I'm a sucker for 80's new wave ballads :o Yup, I'll listen to pretty much anything you hear in a Molly Ringwald movie. There are a couple of hair metal ballads that I like, too.

Some of my favorites:

If You Were Here - Thompson Twins

True - Spandau Ballet

Don't You (Forget About Me) - Simple Minds

Alive and Kicking - Simple Minds

Something About You - Level 42

Drive - Cars (Not so schlocky, but just a great tune)

Heart and Soul - T'Pau (Yes, the band that was named after a Vulcan from Star Trek :) )

Every Rose Has It's Thorn - Poison (I actually half-jokingly sing this with my band)

Little Dreamer - Van Halen

I'll Be There For You - Bon Jovi

Home Sweet Home - Motley Crue

Fly to the Angels - Slaughter

And I totally agree that Time After Time is a great tune.

Okay, it's out there. I can't take it back.

Oh, how embarrassing...

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

I have a huge list of schmaltzy tunes that I enjoy. Just a few would be:

"More than Words" - Extreme. I know it's cheesy, but the guitar part is a blast to play and the harmonies are just awesome! Plus, the chicks dig it :D .

"Sexual Healing" - Marvin Gaye. Gotta love the cheesy analog drums!

"Loving You" - Minnie Riperton. What a surpise, eh :D ? But seriously, the song is great! What a set of pipes!

Originally posted by LiveMusic:

curious why that's a schlocky song. mellow yes, but i mean miles davis covered it! btw, i used to know the guy who wrote it. we were out to dinner in the early 80's and he told me that his first royalty check for "time after time" was 100 grand..... scared the shit out of him. then he went out and upgraded his yamaha DX7.
Would you happen to know if he claimed he wrote the entire song? I'm curious because credits show Cyndi Lauper as co-writer. Was this one of those 'cut me in and I get half but it goes on the album for sure' deals? Or did she really co-write on it?
yep robbie wrote it with cyndi. now "girls just wanna have fun" is a diff story.. that was all Robert Hazzard. (and btw, he bought a horse farm with his royalty check) :)

-d. gauss

Originally posted by songrytr:

Paul Davis - "I Go Crazy"

THAT... is a great song. The whole arrangement just brings it over the top into another place. The tinkly keys then the out of tune upright with all the room ambience on it.

Hello girl it's been a while...

You know when I look in your eyes I still go crazy

That 'ol feelin' inside, it just won't hide

I go crazy...

:thu:

Did anyone mention Harry Nilsson's "One" as sung by Three Dog Night?

It's just no good anymore since you went away-ee-ee!

and

Janis Ian's "At Seventeen"

I LEARNED THE TRUTH AT SEVENTEEN

THAT LOVE WAS MEANT FOR BEAUTY QUEENS

AND HIGH SCHOOL GIRLS WITH CLEAR SKINNED SMILES

WHO MARRIED YOUNG AND THEN RETIRED

Ouch

Carefree Highway - G. Lightfoot

Summer Breeze - Seals + Crofts

I've got a Name - (Pretty much everything by Croce)

Wildfire - Michael Martin Murphey

Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold :o:o:o

Don't Pull Your Love - Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds

Put It There - Sir Paul

So Many Drummers. So Little Time...

You know, I love most of the songs on this thread. But damn if Khan didn't cover a whole set of my fav's that apply. I don't know the Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds tune, but every one of the others is a lifelong or long time favorite.

Lonely Boy is one of my all time favorite songs. I was fortunate to see Andrew Gold at a tv taping almost 10 years ago for At The Ryman with his band, Bryndle. Karla Bonoff, Wendy Waldman, Kenny Edwards and Andrew are all well known writers who have had this band since 1970. Each of them played some of their own tunes, solo. Andrew covered a verse and chorus of Lonely Boy and 30 seconds of Thank You For Bein' A Friend, his composition that later became the theme to The Golden Girls and 30 seconds of his music for the Paul Reiser/Helen Hunt sitcom.. :thu:

dementia13 - Not only does Year Of The Cat have schmaltz, it's the tip of the iceberg for Al Stewart (whose recordings I also love). Can you say, Song On The Radio? (As in, "You're on my mind.. like a song on the radio.."

Some others...

• Same Auld Lang Syne - Dan Fogelberg
  • Everything That Glitters (Is Not Gold) - Dan Seals
  • Breaking Us In Two - Joe Jackson
  • No One Ever Is To Blame - Howard Jones
  • For Emily (Wherever I May Find Her) - Simon & Garfunkel

I love Jim Croce, The Carpenters, Mary Hopkins, Bread, America, Seals & Crofts and many others listed on this thread. If that makes me schmaltzy, so be it! :cool:

It's easiest to find me on Facebook. Neil Bergman

Soundclick

fntstcsnd

Originally posted by KHAN:

Carefree Highway - G. Lightfoot

Summer Breeze - Seals + Crofts

I've got a Name - (Pretty much everything by Croce)

Wildfire - Michael Martin Murphey

Lonely Boy - Andrew Gold :o:o:o

Don't Pull Your Love - Hamilton, Joe Frank & Reynolds

Put It There - Sir Paul

Great choices! I dig the Andrew Gold thing.

And Don't Pull Your Love by H, J F, and R? I sing it all the time in the car.

Don't pull your love out on me honey

Take my heart, my soul, my money

Just don't leave me, cryin' in the ra-in

I love this thread. I have cheese as my avatar for a reason you know.

Groovy Kind Of Love - whoever did the original plus Phil Collin's remake (it's the "Groovy" that schlocks it away)

Disney Girls - Beach Boys (nostalgia-schlock)

The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face - Roberta Flack (maybe too beautiful and sincere to be schlock-still a little melodramatic)

To Love Somebody - Bee Gees (nice melodrama)

She's A Lady - John Sebastian (Sebastian makes being sentimental ok)

M Peasley

Not really schmaltzy, but definately over-the-top-shlappy in that early 1960's sort of way is Deep Purple's "It's All Over". What a greatly put together song! Liner notes state the writing credit as "unknown", and it's a live recording, so who knows if it's a cover or not. Being early early Deep Purple it probably is...

Yardbird's "Mr. Zero"

Misc. Blondie, such as "Heart Of Glass".

Misc. 80s power ballads, Bon Jovi's "Dead Or Alive", Skid Row's "I Remember j00", the Crue's "Home Sweet Home" and "Hollywood". Van Halen's "Right Now" (great video, too). Stuff like that..

"The Way She Loves Me"... it's about 10 years old, but i don't remember who it is. Great guitarwork.

Huge wads of Weezer from Blue and Pinkerton, and I was always a sucker for Veruca Salt.

There's a whole lot of stuff I like but I can't think of, like that late 80s song "Baby Hold On To Me" with the bass or organ droning away in the background.

Dr. Seuss: The Original White Rapper

WWND?

Ditto on the ABBA, Capt & Tennille, Barry Manilow, and especially Carpenters. Really great songwriting.

A long time ago, me and some people at work envisioned this sort of stuff as a compilation - we were going to call it "Happy Cheese."

How about "I'd Really Love to See You Tonight"

And the Theme from Ice Castles used to be a favorite too.

"But its a five oclock world when the whistle blows

No one owns a piece of my time

And theres a five oclock me inside my clothes

Thinkin that the world looks fine, yeah"

(yodel-ay-de-OOOH...etc. etc.)

gee thanks, guys. Now this will be stuck in

my head for a WEEK! :)

Archived