Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

"Today, anybody can easily set up an amazingly capable home recording studio"

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

YOU, TOO, CAN PRODUCE YOUR OWN TOP-NOTCH QUALITY CD...

The Sally Struthers Institute of Recording Technology

But, there is a point to the story. Mind you, nothing will substitute for a good pair of ears and all, but didn't Berry Gordy start Motown with a three-track and some pocket money? (I didn't even know they made a three track). How about Sam Phillips? Those old classic Sun records couldn't have had multimillion dollar technology behind them...

I read somewhere that there is more technology, or computing power, in today's pocket calculator than there was in the lunar module, or some such thing.

Even those that hate amp modeling products have to admit they sound better than the solid state amps of the 70s.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

Or, all I need to be a great golfer is a set of clubs! It's all soooooo easy!

Well, precisely, but you've gotta admit, Dave...sporting goods manufacturers use the same tricks...hence celebrity endorsers.

"We can't make you Tiger Woods, but if you buy this ultra-expensive set of clubs he endorses, you might improve your game"...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Uh yeah the technology is there, but WHERE'S THE CONTENT?

Content :freak:

The Mix is the Message... aaah The Medium is the Message

Actually, the title was a mistake. When the book came back from the typesetter, it had on the cover "Massage" as it still does. The title should have read "The Medium is the Message" but the typesetter had made an error. When Marshall McLuhan saw the typo he exclaimed, "Leave it alone! It's great, and right on target!" Now there are four possible readings for the last word of the title, all of them accurate: "Message" and "Mess Age," "Massage" and "Mass Age."

-

-Peace, Love, and Potahhhhto

This reminds me of the time I thought I could become an artist. I thought that water color painting looked pretty easy. How difficult could it be? I went out and got a nice kit of paint, brushes, palette, drawing board, etc., but after some lessons, it became obvious to me that it was a lot harder than it looked, despite having some quality art supplies.

The basic claim of the article is true. It's certainly possible to have a desktop recording studio for a small fraction of the cost of building a professional studio. Of course it's true that this has nothing to do with actually making music with the studio and the skills and talent that this implies but the important point to me is that the technology is now within reach of a lot more people.

This is probably a good thing.

Mac Bowne

G-Clef Acoustics Ltd.

Osaka, Japan

There was a cable channel that had something similar to this in the past few months. It's one of those channels that has shows like "How To Build A Patio" or something and on that particular installement it was how to record an album on your computer.

I watched it for a few minutes but it they never mentioned software brand names or anything. This guy just rolled through the basic (very basic) procedures. Sort of like "how to get a million dollars..well first you go out and get a million dollars..."

wow... I have found a way to throw away my 4 track TASCAM and become the new Quincy Jones... :thu:

Músico, Productor, Ingeniero, Tecnólogo

Senior Product Manager, América Latina y Caribe - PreSonus

at Fender Musical Instruments Company

Instagram: guslozada

Facebook: Lozada - Música y Tecnología

www.guslozada.com

AMD has made converts of Eric Clapton, Mark Knopfler, Dweezil Zappa and other musicians who now swear by DAWs that use AMD's efficient Opteron line of chips. (Athlon is the consumer version.)

"AMD's technology is ridiculous as far as speed and reliability," says Elliott Steiner, who used PCs to record and mix Clapton's Crossroads Guitar Festival concert last summer in Dallas' Cotton Bowl.

Hear that kids? :D
"A Robot Playing Trumpet Blows"

Originally posted by TheWewus:

Uh yeah the technology is there, but WHERE'S THE CONTENT?

Is it the real point? I've heard some true disgusting crap made on multimillion studios and great analog gear too....

If you correctly mantain the other constants, making good recordings IS enormously easier (and cheaper) today.

Naturally the democratization of production tools will give the opportunity to a lot of crap to be made, but it's exactly specular with the fact that a lot of good stuff has the possibility to be recorded despite the liver condition of some major company chief....

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Originally posted by Anderton:

Gosh, guess we don't need recording magazines or web sites any more! It's all so easy!

No, we need them, but they are a part of the game, every DAW or platform producer has sites and forums where sometimes a lot of knowledge is found for free. This forum too exists because of this democratization of the tools.

Guess the Amp

.... now it's finished...

Here it is!

Imagine fabled music producer George Martin sitting in the multimillion-dollar control room of Abbey Road Studios about to mix and master the Beatles' raw recording tracks.

For about $3,500, including the price of a new computer, you could be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities Martin never dreamed of.

Of course, you'll still suck. :D

"For about $3,500, including the price of a new computer, you could be sitting in front of a DAW on a kitchen table with capabilities Martin never dreamed of."

---------------------------------------------------

And George Martin still doesn't dream of this. He knows better not to.

Archived