Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

So now rappers are talking 'bout they bitches on commercials!?!?!?!

Y'know that cell phone commercial - "East side, West side, South side, let's ride!!".

One guy calls the other guy . . . the other guy will be around shortly after he "picks up some bitches" or some such bullshit.

Did I hear it wrong? Please tell me I did.

:mad::rolleyes::mad:

Amateur Hack

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You heard it right. A sad commentary on the state of TV advertising. Now when it comes on, the channel gets changed so quickly that I don't even know which company it is. :mad::mad::(
WUDAYAKNOW.. For the first time in my life, I'm wrong again!!

Originally posted by shniggens:

Y'know that cell phone commercial - "East side, West side, South side, let's ride!!".

One guy calls the other guy . . . the other guy will be around shortly after he "picks up some bitches" or some such bullshit.

Did I hear it wrong? Please tell me I did.

:mad::rolleyes::mad:

Sorry, I don't watch tv but to play devil's advocate....He could have said "picks up some itches"....maybe his old cell phone made him itch so he made a switch after a sales pitch from a guy named Mitch and without a hitch he made the switch? Thank GOD I don't try and do this for a living.

Welcome back to Blaxploitation.

Having seen this process, I can tell you about the white, middle-aged marketing exec who wrote that crap, trying to be urban, edgy and offering street-cred (when he doesn't really know what any of those terms mean) since that's what he's told his prime demographic is made of.

I'm sick to death of the worship of money defining pop culture. And I'm sick of pop culture dragging us further into the dung heap. If my son ever generically refers to a woman as a bitch, I'm going to slap the mouth off his face.

- Jeff

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Welcome back to Blaxploitation.

I can tell you about the white, middle-aged marketing exec who wrote that crap, trying to be urban, edgy and offering street-cred (when he doesn't really know what any of those terms mean) since that's what he's told his prime demographic is made of.

- Jeff

Yeah, because y'know that kind of dialogue is almost unheard of in the Rap genre. :rolleyes:

I guess a good question is - no matter who wrote it, are they getting through to their target demographic?

Amateur Hack

Originally posted by shniggens:

Yeah, because y'know that kind of dialogue is almost unheard of in the Rap genre. :rolleyes:

Of course it is. Specifically, my problem in this case is not the use of the word "bitches". That's endemic within hip-hop, the disrespect of women.

Rather, I find it MUCH worse that by using it purposefully in a commercial, the company that wrote the script and the company whose products are being advertised are explicitly condoning the behavior.

I guess a good question is - no matter who wrote it, are they getting through to their target demographic?
I suppose it's a good question. To get the answer, you need the marketing metrics to follow-up and say that "x" amount of sales to the urban (or, specifically, black) community were increased during the time of the promotion.

Remember: all morals and ethics go straight out the window as soon as revenue/profitability is increased. There are very few companies that act any differently.

In the case of Boost Mobile ("Where You At?"), they tried to circumvent the complaints of racism by donating $1 to the United Negro College Fund for each sale. Can't everyone see that this is a pre-planned damage control move?

Marketing people make me ill. Yes, I make myself ill from time to time. However, as Daffy Duck would say, it's a living.

- Jeff

But isn't Bitches a sign of respect, gleaned from the tribalism, and socio-encounter of prison life, now permutated into Ebonical metahphor?

Perhaps they should dub in, Fine fat butt bitches, to further promote Beautyshop...the film.

R

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Robman2:

But isn't Bitches a sign of respect, gleaned from the tribalism, and socio-encounter of prison life, now permutated into Ebonical metahphor?

No. And it's not something to joke around about, either. If you think this is a "black issue", you're dead wrong. The urban/hip-hop influence on youth culture pervades all races. Spoken to any white or Asian 15-year olds lately?

Perhaps they should dub in, Fine fat butt bitches, to further promote Beautyshop...the film.
You're not helping, Rob.

- Jeff

I suppose it's a good question. To get the answer, you need the marketing metrics to follow-up and say that "x" amount of sales to the urban (or, specifically, black) community were increased during the time of the promotion.

The target demographic may not be so clear. According to a 60 Minute interview with Lyor Cohen (ex- Def Jam President)upwards of 80% of rap records are bought by middle class white teens in the suburbs.

:confused:

You know, is this any better?

The bitch is hungry

She needs to tell

So give her inches

And feed her well

That's from a big hard rock hit from the Scorpions in the '80s. This isn't a black issue, or a hip-hop issue. It is, to look at the forest instead of the trees, an issue of the responsibility of musicians -- ALL musicians -- to be aware of their cultural influence and the results of their actions.

And no one ever wants to talk about that. This isn't a new problem. It's the same problem, and it's not going to go away, regardless of the racial groups or the musical genres involved. As soon as you mention this, the answer is about censorship and stifling creative freedoms. So it'll never change.

But, if it bugs ya, you always have the option of not buying products from the companies that consciously shirk this responsibility.

- Jeff

But, if it bugs ya, you always have the option of not buying products from the companies that consciously shirk this responsibility.

OR, you could start a thread in a public internet forum with the very word that's so offensive to you right there in the title of the thread!!!

:idea::freak:

Jeff, sorry to ascerbically diverge...it was completely anacronistic...

Actually, I couldn't agree more...

Rob

Label on the reverb, inside 1973 Ampeg G-212: "Folded Line Reverberation Unit" Manufactured by beautiful girls in Milton WIS. under controlled atmosphere conditions.

Originally posted by Bunny.:

OR, you could start a thread in a public internet forum with the very word that's so offensive to you right there in the title of the thread!!!

:idea::freak:

I learnt it on TV! :freak:

It's not the word, it's the context.

Amateur Hack

I have always strongly objected to the words "rap" and "music" being used in the same context. It's not the nihilism (look at 70s punk), it's not the disrespect (look at some metal) it's the utter shallowness and inherent racism of it all. Even though its influence has filtered across to kids from other races, there's no denying that the promotors of this so-called "culture" are out for one thing only - to make a profit from the exploitation and ghettoisation of black people. Listen to the stupid "lyrics". Look at the stupid hand gestures. Listen to the moronic "music". Look at the stupid vidoes that all seem to be recorded in the back of the same limmo. Culture my $%&**.

I don't casually refer to girls as 'bitches'.

I have a friend that does, and know several others that do.

While they look stupid saying it that way, I don't care so much. They don't realize they're making an ass of themselves, while others might catch it, and maybe avoid them or think differently.

As for a commercial, I think it's kinda amusing. I haven't seen it, but they had to of been making fun of the crassness of the wannabe/thug/world-owes-me "culture".

I always imagined getting dozens of rappers in one room and telling them to stop and look at eachother and spot the similiarities from apparel to personality.

I bet everyone would "win".

So, you wouldn't mind being referred to as "Bitch" in prison?

Originally posted by Bryson:

So, you wouldn't mind being referred to as "Bitch" in prison?
Truthfully - being in prison, being referred to as a bitch would be a lesser worry than being one...

Originally posted by Phait:

As for a commercial, I think it's kinda amusing. I haven't seen it, but they had to of been making fun of the crassness of the wannabe/thug/world-owes-me "culture".

Because everyone knows that commercials exist to cast ironic commentary on our society as a whole, not to sell stuff... :freak:

Archived