Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Going to England.......tell me what to do

Me and the wife are heading to England for 10 days starting March 29. We are going to be staying at a friends house in Birmingham. I will also be catching up with some friends I worked with on Carnival Cruise Lines. So I know we will have a lot of fun seeing some good friends but I want some suggestions of cool things to do/see. Is Abbey Road and Abbey Road Studios in London? I would love to go there. We will also be going to Wolverhampton to see a friend's band from Ohio that just happens to be playing at the same time we will be there.....So tell me...what else can we do for fun?

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dang. Timing. I'm going to be over there the following month. Too bad we all couldn't have hooked up for a jolly spot of stout or something.

I'd kill to go on that Abbey Road tour. They don't generally give tours. Studio #2 is like my equivalent of the Dome of the Rock.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Don't avoid doing touristy things... if you have any interest in history, you'll find plenty of great destinations to check out.

- Tower of London

- Big Ben

- Buckingham Palace

- Westminster Abbey

- Hyde Park

Lots of museums to see, if you're partial toward art.

And, as Ted said, visit a pub in London and have a pint or two. Always fun.

- Jeff

Don't forget Legoland in Windsor!! My older brother and his fince were in England this past summer, and that was one of the places they went. He bought some VERY cool souveniers for me (*ahem* I used to be quite a lego-maniac when I was younger - even so far as to build the '88 Calgary Winter Olympics out of legos...dedicated? You bet!)

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Birmingham is not far from Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace), so I'd suggest a day spent touring that town plus the neighboring Warwick Castle (huge, impressive, medieval fortress). Catch a play at one of Stratford's two theaters in the evening.

To the London sites mentioned above I'll add -

- The British Museum

- Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum

- Concerts at St. Martin-in-the-Fields church (at Trafalgar Square)

- the Theater District (less expensive than Broadway and often better)

- The Tower Bridge

The UK has a lot of interesting places to visit, so you might want to take a couple of day trips to places other than London. As mentioned above, Legoland/Windsor Castle is a nice excursion.

The Black Knight always triumphs!

Originally posted by Dan South:

Birmingham is not far from Stratford-upon-Avon (Shakespeare's birthplace), so I'd suggest a day spent touring that town plus the neighboring Warwick Castle (huge, impressive, medieval fortress). Catch a play at one of Stratford's two theaters in the evening.

I'm not a big "casle guy" but Warwick is amazing. Got to see it... Shakespear's birthplace was cool too.

If you're going to be in Birmingham, you could take a trip west to the Malvern Hills, or north to the Peak District. Take a drive south to the georgian city of Bath. Visit Bristol. If you're in London, the London Eye has to be number one on your list. Go to Soho, Hampstead Heath, Portobello rd, Docklands. Use the Underground.

Have fun!

:)

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

Originally posted by ryst:

Oh...Don't worry....Guinness and curry are on the menu every night!

Good thing. Avoid native British food at all costs. Stick with the foreign fare.
"You never can vouch for your own consciousness." - Norman Mailer

Going to England.......tell me what to do
Avoid Birmingham and Wolverhampton. :D

Ten days is not a lot. But as someone suggested, if you can rent a car, head south for a couple of hours (M5 to M4 motorway) and visit Bath. If you have more time, try to get to Wells. A beautiful cathedral. Glastonbury is also close, although the town is not much. A climb of the Tor will give you some nice views on a clear day.

And the usual London site seeing. If you are fit, try to go to St Paul's cathedral, go up to the Whispering gallery (although some present constructions limits the fun a little,) but after that, there is a little known climb to the turret on the top of the dome. Some really spectacular views from there of London on a clear day. But you should get there by the latest in the early afternoon.

From there you can cross the Millenium bridge, (you'll see it from the turret) turn left or right and there is a beautiful walk on the South Bank of the Thames, also with several pubs on the way.

And if you are not used to real beer, don't panic in the morning. It will clear up as your stomach gets used to it.

Try some London Pride. Available in lots of pubs.

Have fun.

Yorik

Stone In A Pond

"Man will occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of the time he will pick himself up and continue on."

Originally posted by Dan South:

To the London sites mentioned above I'll add -

- The British Museum

- Madame Toussaud's Wax Museum

- Concerts at St. Martin-in-the-Fields church (at Trafalgar Square)

- the Theater District (less expensive than Broadway and often better)

- The Tower Bridge

I've been to The British Museum and London's Theater District, and I enjoyed both considerably. (I saw a Peter O'Toole play there.)

If you plan on shopping, Harrods is a bit of a spectacle. Piccadilly Circus is worth considering too.

Also, don't forget to ask for the bill and not the check at restaurants, and while you're at it...

Learn "English" English at:

English To English

American English

American-English/English-American Translation Guide

You might also enjoy this thread:

English English and American English

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Lydfield Gorge (or maybe it's Lydford Gorge, it's been a while)

The White Horse of Uffington

Old Sarum

The Rocks at Avebury, sort of "Stonehenge lite" but not as traveled

Bath, cool little town!

First things first...

Originally posted by Gabriel E.:

Originally posted by ryst:

Oh...Don't worry....Guinness and curry are on the menu every night!

Good thing. Avoid native British food at all costs. Stick with the foreign fare.
*SLAP*

Right, now that's out of the way :D

er... you know Birmingham isn't actually very near London? Also, sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't think the current Abbey Road studio's are the same place the Beatle's recorded at, but you could go and take your pic crossing the same road (London drivers are only marginally better than New Yorkers tho, so watch out!). Check out the Beatle's Shop on Baker street too!

Bristol and Bath are worth seeing and you won't be far from them, Worcester is nearby with a great cathedral and markets during the week...

Fa Fa FA Fa fa fa fa fa FA fa FA FA

Originally posted by Base:

Also, sorry to be a party pooper, but I don't think the current Abbey Road studio's are the same place the Beatle's recorded at

It's the same place alright. Studio two has been remodelled since the Beatles days, but then that was nearly 40 years ago and to be expected.

There's nothing wrong with British food. Same as any country, there's good and bad.

If visiting Avebury, my mate Simon has a pub with B&B in the next village (Winterbourne Monkton) called the New Inn (it's only 400years old!). Tell him Dave sent you. Julian Cope lives nearby, and is an expert on neolithic stone circles and the like. Often to be seen wandering around the stones with a faraway look in his eyes......

Big Hat. No Cattle.

http://www.theshrinks.com/

I can list some places for you...remember I live in London :)

One place you must visit is the Millenium Wheel and also Covent Gardens and Carnaby Street.

If you can get to Shaftsbury Avenue, try and catch a show and you can pick up tickets for £10 normally and also visit China Town which is brilliant for Chinese food or Brick Lane in East London for curries and the famous Petticoat Lane Market on a Sunday.

Abbey Road has definatly opened its doors now so for £20 you can catch Raiders Of The Lost Arc showing in the studio it was scored in and a tour of the studios gallery of pictures.

Its well worth the money.

Also try and get over to Soho as it has a lot bars and restaurants aswell as the famous Ronnie Scotts JAzz Club.

Theres so much you can do and hopefully the weather will cheer up a little for you and you can take a river cruise to Greenwich to the Cutty Sark and Greenwich Park which has some wonderful views of London aswell as the Royal Observatory (they are doing star gazing at the moment which is well worth checking out) and also visit the Royal Maritime Museum which is all located in the Park and they have some great things on at the moment to.

Well worth visiting is Kew Botanical Gardens as spring is the best time to go and see the park aswell as the conservatory with its tropical plants.

I wanted to say to Ted as your going to be in Exeter, try and get the train over to the Eden Project in Cornwall, its awesome and well worth the visit!

My understanding is that Studio 2's control room has been remodelled, but the actual tracking room is still pretty much the same as it was in the 1960's. Abbey Road is definitely "Mecca" (no offense intended to any of our Islamic friends) to us studio types. :) Gotta go see that!

Yes you've gotta see Warwick castle. I've seen bunches of castles in many countries, but when I think 'castle' then it's Warwick I'm thinking of.

You're kinda far away from London but in addition to other sites mentioned, I got a really big kick out of the London Dungeon. They've got all these ancient torture instruments and wax people in them being terrified and mutilated. Pretty cool.

Greenwich Park and Kew Gardens are absolutely beautiful.

I don't think I'd rent a car. I was over there long enough to practice but for two weeks I was like dizzy driving and then it finally all snapped into place and made sence. Remember, in addition to being backwards, you're feet are the same (accelerator and clutch) but your hands are oppisite (stick and steering wheel). Not something you just jump into, especially in London. And how come every time I ever got lost in London I ended up at Piccidily Circus? Never figured that out.

Bristol and Bath are both really cool, but if you make it to west country, I'd check Stone Hinge.

Lots to think about, best to sort out what's close to you. I really don't know Birmingham at all.

I'm probably going to 'cut n' paste' this whole thread for me trip over there.

Places I want to visit:

The Ministry of Silly Walks

The Cheese Shoppe

The Dead Parrot Pet Shoppe

:D

Seriously, I'm looking forward to curry as well. And fish and chips. And anything else I can cram into my visit... :thu:

Don't they have a Sir Arthur Conan Doyle Museum of sorts at 221B Baker Street? That'd be cool for "Whodunit" fans.

Originally posted by lakeside studios:

Often to be seen wandering around the stones with a faraway look in his eyes......

Heck, I do that and I'm NOT an expert on Neolithic stone circles. :D

Word of adice and warning....DO NOT HIRE A CAR FOR LONDON!!! not only is it expensive but also theres no parking anywhere in the center of London aswell as the Congestion Charge you'll have to pay for every trip you make into central London and if you dont pay your £5 charge, you get fined £40 and even if its a hire car, you'll be liable for it and it doesnt matter if you go back to the US, you'll still have to pay it.

Use the Tube or buses to get about and its cheap and quick.

Originally posted by Tedster:

I'm probably going to 'cut n' paste' this whole thread for me trip over there.

Tedster, My thought exactly. Thanks guys!! I will come back and share some pics if i get anything interesting. I will try and cram as much as possible into 8 days that I can. It's like trying to stuff 10 pound of shite in a 5 pound bag....But I will do my best.

Originally posted by Shars:

Word of adice and warning....DO NOT HIRE A CAR FOR LONDON!!!

You don't need a car at all in London.

Also, when in London, buy a daypass for the transit. It's cheap, and you'll save a pile of money.

IMDB Credit list

President George Washington: "The government of the United States is in no sense founded on the Christian Religion."

President Abraham Lincoln: "The Bible is not my book, nor Christianity my religion."

Archived