Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Just got a call, tomorrows client is dead....

Killed in a car accident. Now, here's the twist. He had recorded at another studio, drums, bass, guitar and guide vocals on 2" but was not happy with their customer relations. He had the files transfered to Protools and sent to me. The question is, do I;

a) call back the grieving girlfriend who called me and tell them I have these files immediately

or

b) give the family some grieving time before contacting them.

Obviously I would do this mix completely comp, I'd be a pretty big ass if I was to try to get money from them at this juncture.

My gut instinct is to give them gieiving time, however they may want to play it at his funeral.

Thoughts?

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I would call them...or, better yet, find out what funeral home is handling arrangements and talk to the funeral director. He's already guiding the family through a tough time, and he'd be sure to talk to the family in a way that would be helpful, and probably be able to give you the best advice, too.
"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

I would've suggested giving them some time too, but the idea that a mix could be played at his funeral may be something the family'd really appreciate. Possible to do a rough mix, then deliver it to the funeral home with an explanation of what it is, and have the funeral director bring it up with the family?

Interesting situation, good luck!

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

What Ted said.

Go through the funeral director, and let the family know there is some unfinished work left in your hands. Give them a card, and tell them to contact you at their convenience.

How well did you know the client? If you knew him more than in passing, you could attend the wake and do the same in person.

I don't know this guy from adam, we met once to discuss his needs, and he booked time. The GF called to infomr me of the tragedy. I've already exrepssed my condolences....

Now here's the kicker, I've been listening to the tune, it's about a dead friend.....here's the chorus

"Now I know, some things were unnnecessary, and I thought, your life was on the contrary, and I thought that some things were unnecessary, like the box that carried you away from me."

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

I'd say, again, and especially since you didn't really know him, talking to the funeral director will be the best bet. Tell him everything you've said here.

It also depends on what sort of tune it was...was it something that (even considering its prophetically grim lyric) would fit at a funeral?

But, yeah, talk to the FD...

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by TinderArts:

I think the subject matter of the song would make it very difficult for friends and family to listen to at this point. Best left alone for now.

Nick, now that I know you've already spoken with his girlfriend and expressed your condolences, I have to agree with TinderArts - let it go.

She's got your telephone number. I feel sure she'll call you when she wants to get in touch.

Yeah... Let it go.

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Holy.....Sh...

I would arrange (ASAP like today) to at least let it be known what you have and make an apppointment to discuss the return of the files in "whatever form" the family sees fit. I personally would not hold off on the knowledge of the files.

Who knows, they may want to bury the files with the deceased. It sounds crazy but if you hold off on the knowledge of the music, you will be making a mistake. After the fact is not a good idea.

A gentle call of condolences and to tell the family what you have before the funeral is of order.

I would word it something like this.

"I am very saddened by his death but I want you to know I have the partial recording work and wanted you to know of it before the funeral in case you want it right away or it can wait. It is up to you."

They may want it before the funeral. Give them the chance to have it.

Bill Roberts Precision Mastering

-----------Since 1975-----------

Continued from where's duplicate post...

Originally posted by where02190:

Originally posted by DJDM:

I don't know this guy from adam, we met once to discuss his needs, and he booked time. The GF called to infomr me of the tragedy. I've already exrepssed my condolences....

So... why are you asking us for input?

Because I'm a fucking human being dude,

I had that part figured dude. Your post comes off as dismissive of Tom's idea to gently suggest that you have the materials and that she should contact you when she can.

and because I am the only one who has or may even know of the status and existance of this song he wrote which was obviously important to him, and may be something that the family and friends would find helps their grieving process.

It sounds like you feel you should drop off the materials ASAP but you think they may not be appropriate for the event. If the song is about a dead friend I would wait till a bit after the event to get them back to his widow unless she insists otherwise.

I don't think anyone knows to what extent this song is complete other than the departed and myself. I got a call back from the GF, who did know a bit of the song, and was happy to hear about it's currnet status. She plans on contacting the family regarging it, and will be getting back to me. She was most appreciative of my call, and we chatted for a few minutes about his life and love for music.

I feel confident I did the right thing, and am grateful for the support I got here in helping me make that decision.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Where - You did the right thing by following up on this matter, some would have done nothing in your situaion. I've had my wallet returned to me twice from random people here in NYC (after losing it being drunk), so I do believe in the kindness of strangers.

Also, I just want to say that Bill Roberts really did a spectacular job of chiming in on the problem, excellent advice.

Archived