Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Ringo Starr, superhero!!

Beatles cartoons! GAWD, I loved 'em! Back in the days when Saturday morning cartoons WEREN'T infomercials for action figures and video games!

Whitefang, I was already an old fart when the Beatles cartoons were created, and when I was a kid, Saturday morning cartoons sold corn flakes, Buster Brown Shoes, Nabisco Shredded Wheat (featuring Jay Silverheels, the original Tonto, presenting "Injun-ooties", the separators in the shredded wheat box contained camping tips and outdoor lore; if they called it that today there'd be an anti-defamation lawsuit on them before they could say, "Get-up up, Scout!)

AFAIK, Saturday AM cartoons were ALWAYS about selling schlock. And it ain't about to stop here-the difference is, when you were a kid, that stuff wasn't schlock, it was the magic door into a fantasy world, now it's a magic door to your credit card - but if you call before midnight tonight, we'll include, at absolutely no cost to you, this set of Beatle dolls, er, action figures featuring Ringo on drums with his nose getting caught in the hihat... :D

Dasher - don't ask me about those other reindeer, all I can tell you is Comet's in the sink!

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Dan Worley:

. I don't think Ringo's drum parts were always that simple. I think he made them sound simple.

Bravo!

Ringo's often compared to Watts from the Rollin' Stones (yeah, I still leave the "g" off) but other than a shared sense of service to the song, they're not really similar.

Starr regularly elaborated songs with his fills & non-kit percussion. Even though some of these ideas certainly came from McCartney, Lennon (notice how the drums are different on their respective material?) & Martin, there's enough stylistic undercurrent to hear that it's largely his own notions at work.

Originally posted by Bejeeber:

I remember the announcement on SNL that Ringo had won the Yasser Arafat look-a-like contest.

Maybe Yasser could be his evil twin brother nemesis.

I remember that, but it was Yasser winning the Ringo look-alike contest.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Originally posted by Bryson:

Originally posted by Mark Zeger:

"On behalf of the band and me-self, I'd like to thank you all for coming and I hoped we passed the audition."

;)

That was John.

"I like to say thank you on behalf of the group and ourselves. I hope we passed the audition"

OK, I misquoted and attributed it to the wrong Beatle. :rolleyes:

But, it was said on the rooftop during "Let It Be", right? I mean, I didn't remember THAT wrong?!? :confused:

Originally posted by Bryson:

Originally posted by deanmass:

His super power is knowing when NOT to play.

:)

Yeah, just ask Paul.
Ringo was the perfect drummer for the Beatles. No ego, no drum solos - the other three were frustrated drummers.

Can you imagine the Beatles with Keith Moon on the throne?

I may be treading dangerous waters here, but after Ringo laid down his tracks and went home for the evening, didn't Paul go back and re-record them so they'd be in time and on beat? I can't remember where I heard that...

I do have to say that I love the Beatle's drum lines, my favourite being "Come Together" -- brilliant!

It's not simple to be simple.

-H. Matisse

Ross Precision Guitars

I think that might have happened on a tune or two...but overall it didn't.

Ringo did leave the band during the recording of the White Album...during which time Paul did some drumming 'til Ringo came back. And a couple of tunes (Ballad of John and Yoko, for one) were just John and Paul...with Paul on drums. McCartney's version of "Come and Get It" (on the Anthology CD) was all Paul.

"Cisco Kid, was a friend of mine"

Originally posted by The Soundsmith:

Beatles cartoons! GAWD, I loved 'em! Back in the days when Saturday morning cartoons WEREN'T infomercials for action figures and video games!

Whitefang, I was already an old fart when the Beatles cartoons were created, and when I was a kid, Saturday morning cartoons sold corn flakes, Buster Brown Shoes, Nabisco Shredded Wheat (featuring Jay Silverheels, the original Tonto, presenting "Injun-ooties", the separators in the shredded wheat box contained camping tips and outdoor lore; if they called it that today there'd be an anti-defamation lawsuit on them before they could say, "Get-up up, Scout!)

AFAIK, Saturday AM cartoons were ALWAYS about selling schlock. And it ain't about to stop here-the difference is, when you were a kid, that stuff wasn't schlock, it was the magic door into a fantasy world, now it's a magic door to your credit card - but if you call before midnight tonight, we'll include, at absolutely no cost to you, this set of Beatle dolls, er, action figures featuring Ringo on drums with his nose getting caught in the hihat... :D

I know what you're saying, man, but you missed the point. Lately, the TOYS are manufactured before the cartoons come about. The main characters in the 'toons ARE the toys! Not the commercials in between. Oh, yeah, I was 17 when the Beatles cartoons started, kind of an old fart for that sort of stuff. But I still watched 'em!

Of course, there was marketing of figures and comics and coloring books and all that stuff that were based on the cartoon characters. But they never materialized until after the characters became a "safe bet". It was the breakfast candy manufacturers(uh, CEREAL, I mean)who made out like bandits by lambasting the commercial time with their wares.

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Archived