Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

TOILET TRAINING TIPS ANYONE?

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The best advice is to just let him do it when he's ready to. You could do try old " sink the cherrios" trick or playing swords works too.

It took my son a while but when he figured it out there was no turning back.

Originally posted by The Music Room:

huh?

Hehe - kind of like light sabres (only yellow light) :D

There's some cool potty training songs out there too - I think they're for the sophisticated 2 year old crowd...

Yep they will do it when they are ready. Be aware boys can be slower to train than girls. I have a girl about to turn 3 and we have the urine thing sorted during the day, but the rest is still in progress. So be aware you may be in for the long haul ;)

We`re trying to toilet train our 2yr. old.

Any tips from those who have been there before?

It will happen WHEN it happens. Many kids don't train until they hit 3 years old. My son trained about 3 or 4 months before he turned 3 and that impressed the hell out of a lot of parents.

We have a video called "Once Upon a Potty" which is really good. It's short, and has a catchy song, and teaches little one's about how it all works. We played it just for fun, and Ian really enjoyed it. I highly recommend it. It contains a section for parents as well.

The most important thing to remember is that this takes time, and it's your child's time, not yours. He may yet lack the capacity to control it, at this point.

Never punish or scold him over "accidents".

Make the potty available to him so he can sit whenever he wants to.

Give lots of praise.

When our son went in the potty, we did the Mexican hat dance around the house, and I ain't kidd'n! We made a big deal over it....like he'd just discovered a cure for cancer or something.

And it really is pretty exciting to see them do something like that, and see the sense of pride they feel. If you're not a parent, you can't appreciate it.

Recently our 1 1/2 year old daughter has expressed an interest in going potty, so we just put it out for her. Understand, we have no expectations for her to do anything. This is just for her to sit on and do whatever. Her interest in this is mostly because she sees our son running for a bathroom when he needs to go. So, now she has a little place where she can sit and do what the 'big people' do.

Best of luck. It sure is nice not to have to change nappies anymore when they're trained. But I have to admit, it's a little hard to see them grow. My son definitely is not a baby anymore. And he was a real cute baby. :cry: He's now officially a little boy.

At least I've still got my daughter. :)

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

The ping pong ball sounds interesting, but someone will have to take it out prior to flushing :D Maybe sink the cheerios would have the same effect, and yet they are flushable. ;)

My daughter was potty trained around 18 to 20 months old, but I had her potty chair in the restroom directly across from the toilet stool. Whenever I would go to the restroom, I would take her each time and set her on her potty chair as I was using the toilet. She caught on very quickly as to what the potty chair was for. Whenever she got a bit taller, I bought a moulded topper seat and placed it on the toilet for her to use.

On the other hand, my ex husband REFUSED to allow our son to enter the restroom while he was urinating because he was very introverted. I did not have the "same" anatomy or "equipment" to show my son how to aim and shoot..... My son was going on 3 before I finally discovered some POTTY videos that I played for my son to watch. They were animated, but very graphic as to the detail and how to use the equipment. I don't even remember the name of the video, but it worked in allowing my son to see how to direct his urine into the potty. There's nothing perverse about a father TEACHING his son how to function in life.... Perversion comes in ill intentions.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Question:

What does a man do standing up,

a woman do sitting down,

and a dog do with one leg raised???

Answer:

Shake hands...

Originally posted by Ani:

I did not have the "same" anatomy or "equipment" to show my son how to aim and shoot.....

I think at that point in the game it's probably best just to sit, and not do 'target practice'. In that way, boys aren't that much different from girls.

Super 8

Hear my stuff here

I think at that point in the game it's probably best just to sit, and not do 'target practice'. In that way, boys aren't that much different from girls.
Yeah... to some degree.... I had been taking my son in as a tiny tot and setting him on the potty chair, but there did come a time where he needed to learn to point and shoot; THAT was not something I could demonstrate :D . My daughter was getting ready to pass him up in potty training and perhaps I was getting anxious (and she was 21 months behind him) She did, however, stop bedwetting long before he did. That's a whole different ball game.

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

As a parent of a slow trainer, I'll give you the best advice I never got.

Put him in underpants. The first time he blows 'em, he'll figure out quick he doesn't like how that feels and he'll be totally motivated to potty train.

OTOH, if he doesn't care, then he's just not ready, and you'll just have to ide with it.

My son was 4 before we finally figured this trick out. After working with the "Pull-ups" for two years, it took him all of three weeks to get with the program once we started putting him in underwear.

Ironically, once he was in the habit of doing the bathroom thing, he went through the "too busy to stop and go pee" phase - struggled with that for a couple months (particularly when he was outside playing with his friends) - and I cured that one night by putting a diaper on him after one of these slips. He never had another "accident".

Take him with you when you have to take a leak. :)

Start slow and just be patient.

I have 2 1/2 year old twin boys and we're starting to toilet train them too.

Oh yeah, lots of clapping and encouragement won't hurt.

Goodluck!

Originally posted by Super 8:

We have a video called "Once Upon a Potty" which is really good.

We have the book. My daughter loved it. She was really motivated by it.

That, and bribes worked great. Avery got an M&M everytime she went in the toilet, and she also had a special calendar just for her, that she got to put a sticker in after she went. The calendar is also a great progress meter and it's now in her scrapbook. By the time she was 2 1/2 years old, she was done. No more diapers at all. WOO HOO!

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

I haven't raised any kids myself, but I have a 5-year old sister we taught to potty train fairly quickly. Guys are usually harder though.

Get one of these books (I'd still read 'em):

- Everybody Poops

- Once upon a Potty (there's a male and female version)

And get some kind of tiny reward when he uses the bathroom like M&Ms or a sticker or whatever.

Shut up and play.

We`re trying to toilet train our 2yr. old.

Any tips from those who have been there before?

Hes given us reports, we need predictions.

Know what I mean?

My philosophy with all my kids was the same. I let them know that I loved them and they would get potty trained whenever they got potty trained. I wasn't going to love them any less if it took longer. No pressure, no time table. No books. No advice. No competition with other parents. Turned out they were all excited about getting potty trained and it was quite easy.

bbach

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

2 years old is early for a lot of kids. Don't put it on a schedule.

That said, taking him to the bathroom when you go is a good idea, except that kids have to go about twice as often or more. So you have to get into the habit of taking them all the time. Any time you're leaving the house, before (or after) every meal, as soon as they get up, before naps and bed - every time you can remember.

When our first son was training and we were trying to get that lightbulb to finally go off over his head, we let him go without his diaper in our house. Sure, there were a couple of accidents to clean up, but he put 2 and 2 together way faster than he would have if he would have kept on his ultra-modern super-comfy pull-ups.

Oh, and don't give the kid a complex. I guarantee you there are few, if any, kids in grade school running around in diapers. It'll happen eventually regardless of your efforts.

I was lucky. Both my girls were pretty well trained before they were two. The younger one DID give us Griffin's "too busy to pee" problem, but after a certain number of times spent with her nose in the corner, she found time.

But the best advice is to be patient. If you are using a pediatrician(and yes, some people DON'T for some strange reason), ask him/her for any advice. Asking family and friends will likely cop you too much different advice, and bizzare advice at that!

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Another thought, as mentioned above about getting rid of the diaper feeling and letting the child feel a bit more grown up is a good thing. But, to save yourself some of the grief in accidents; use training panties. They give the child a feel of cloth, pulling up their own big boy/girl underpants, and yet they are absorbant to catch mishaps. Allow them to run around in their training pants as much as possible, but have something like this on hand to let them sleep in or go out... they are call diaper wraps, but can work very well with training pants also. They come in a variety of styles and also in many prints, but the white is subtle IMO.

Here's the link http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/cotnwrap.htm

http://www.greenmountaindiapers.com/cotnwrapfront.jpg

Archived