Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

RIP Hank Garland

Hank was the Eddie Van Halen of his day... a guitarist with blinding speed and "how'd he do that" licks.

He was mostly known as Elvis' guitarist, but also played with Roy orbison, th Everlys, and damn near everyone in Nashville for about 40 years.

RIP to a greatly influential player.

- Jeff

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

Hank was the Eddie Van Halen of his day... a guitarist with blinding speed and "how'd he do that" licks.

He was mostly known as Elvis' guitarist, but also played with Roy orbison, th Everlys, and damn near everyone in Nashville for about 40 years.

RIP to a greatly influential player.

- Jeff

Wasn't he also half of the design inspiration behind the Gibson Byrdland?

RIP Hank.

Originally posted by PBBPaul:

Originally posted by Jeff Da Weasel:

[qb]Wasn't he also half of the design inspiration behind the Gibson Byrdland?

RIP Hank.

I believe you're right, Paul.

So long, Hank

Whitefang

I started out with NOTHING...and I still have most of it left!

Of course Hank was from Nashville. I read a story once about him showing up at a date where Kenny Burrell was playing somewhere up north. He asked to sit in and Burrell (thinking he'd blow this rube off the stage) called up Giant Steps. The story goes that Burrell was the one blown away by Hank's jazz chops.

Lurked here for long while and never posted, but this is really sad...he lived in my neigborhood! Hank used to show up at local guitar shows, and I just read a recent article about how his brother had been lovingly caring for him for years now. Remember his solos when I was just a toddler and my brother played his Everly Brothers records over and over (dad really loved that!) Every morning it was "Wake up little Suzie". Dad, RIP, and Hank, RIP!

Barry

"1 Charley, 2 Frances, 3 Ivan, 4 Sale."

Archived