Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WHOOHOO!! SNOW!!

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What beautiful pictures Ani.

Thanks YaCa.

when you say Ice storm, you mean frost right?
No, I mean ICE!!! Kansas City is accustomed to getting ICE storms to where there will easily be 1/4" to 3/4" thick ice. A few years ago, I was without power for a few weeks in the dead of winter due to a ice storm. The entire city was declared a National Emergency and outside electrical companies were brought in from as far as the states of Iowa and Nebraska to help repair the power lines that had been dropped by the weight of ice, or from trees that had broken and fallen onto the power lines due to the ice.

There have been years in the past where the weight of ice has pulled age old trees out of the soil by the roots and other more fragile trees like Bradford Pears have been left in splinters due to the added weight.

One year our highway department was not prepared for an ice storm, and when it hit, the highways were a solid glaze of ice. I had to go to work and, like a fool, drove 17 miles on black ice. I was over two hours late, but found that when I got there only 12 people total had shown up out of a crew of about 80; I was the only woman and all the men were driving trucks that had good traction. I worked a voluntary 16 hour day that day because nobody was showing up from the other shifts as they were schedule to do and the roads were still in no condition to drive on.

While driving to work that morning, I passed by TWO full sized City sand/salt trucks that had slid into the ditches, and multiple cars... while seeing another heavy duty tow truck in a ditch. You can imagine the fear I had in driving... the ice was not as bad until it was too late to turn back.

The ice is beautiful, but it is wicked.

(pssst...Ani...it's "sits", not "sets") ;)

:o You caught me Offramp, usually it's Dan that gets me. :D

You can take the man away from his music, but you can't take the music out of the man.

Books by Craig Anderton through Amazon

Sweetwater: Bruce Swedien\'s "Make Mine Music"

Wow, you guys! Nice snow. I am another Offramp sympathiser, tired of winters that won't get off their butts. I'm sure few of you know me from previous posts. I lurk waaayy more than I post, usually only post music-related stuff, and I've been "gone" for a few months. I've been moving. We have lots of acreage now, at a good altitude. It is snowing outside as I type! Still nothing like Ani has, but soon! I will post pics soon. You will not beleive the new home of Rubber Lizard Studio. (And I get SNOW, too!)
Rubber Lizard Studio

WHOOOHOOO!! part TWOOOOO...

Started last night. I was up in Boulder and it took me an hour to get home, as opposed to the usual 25-30 mins. Looked like it was going to stay fairly low-key today until about three hours ago. I can't see past the lake we live on...so that means the entire foothills and Coors brewery have disappeared.

Wife called from work...it took her 20+ minutes to drive three miles. :eek: Looks like they're calling for closing 70.

aaaahhhhh...... :D

I've upped my standards; now, up yours.

We're going sledding this afternoon with our 4 year old. I can't wait.

We put the Christmas tree up yesterday, snow started falling, then we saw a fox walking through the neighborhood in the dark while we were decorating cookies.

If I didn't remind myself so f**king much of Clark Griswald, this might be a nice Christmas.

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

Originally posted by Hendmik:

We're going sledding this afternoon with our 4 year old. I can't wait.

We put the Christmas tree up yesterday, snow started falling, then we saw a fox walking through the neighborhood in the dark while we were decorating cookies.

I'm ready for my portrait, Mr. Rockwell... :D

We saw this storm coming on the news, decided to cut our Zion trip short, and still hit a bunch of snow and saw a LOT of cars in the ditch yesterday. Offramp, did you get past I-70 before they shut it down for than landslide?

Botch

"Eccentric language often is symptomatic of peculiar thinking" - George Will

www.puddlestone.net

OK, so sledding was cold as hell. Less Norman Rckwell and more like the film "Alive."

...and it's still coming down... :D

Whenever you find that you are on the side of the majority, it is time to reform.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

Reporter: "Ah, do you think you could destroy the world?" The Tick: "Ehgad I hope not. That's where I keep all my stuff!"

OK, so sledding was cold as hell. Less Norman Rckwell and more like the film "Alive."

...and it's still coming down... :D

I hear ya there. US 36 is whitewashed. I was lucky the buses were running so I could get home from work.
Shut up and play.

My sincere, heart-felt condolences for anyone who has to sit at a bus stop in this. I can only imagine.

Mark Twain (1835-1910)

--------------------

My sincere, heart-felt condolences for anyone who has to sit at a bus stop in this. I can only imagine.

Thanks dude. I don't have a car at college, so I ride the bus to work. At least I'm saving money on gas if nothing else. Fortunately, I was only there about 15 min. I planned it right. :-)
Shut up and play.

Guys, guys, guys....this is LIVING. This is LIFE.

SNOW makes for a vibrant Spring, which makes for an ebullient Summer, which makes for a satisfying, restful Fall...the most incredible cycle known to man.

change of season...all the hurdles and rewards each one brings...a life, painted.

Hendmik: Cold? Fuck yeah! LAYERS, mah man. I shouldn't need to tell you that. And the joy of being with your children giving them the simplest of pleasures and the deepest of memories oughta be enough to ward it off.

(Stopped at Sunrise today, unknowingly just after they closed. Girl opened the store back up for me and sold me a dozen {plain cake, y'know} donuts, out of the goodness of her understanding the meaning of 'comfort food'.)

revolead: When you look back at your life..."I sat at a bus station in weather worse than this just to get home to have a meal of Ramen noodles!!" oughta put any sniveling, whining teeanager in their place. Think of it as...future ammo.

Trust me...it'll come in handy.

LIVE! Goddammit....LIVE!! Challenge the snow. Live it, use it, experience it.

Even though it hasn't started snowing here,yet, I thank you for your kind thoughts - our Transit system drivers in St. John's went on strike midnight last night.... :cry:

Not that I mind walking in snowy weather; on the contrary, I quite enjoy it. But I know of a significant number of folks who'll be VERY pissed of if the strike isn't resolved by the time the snow starts to fly!

BTW, I'm quite jealous that you guys have snow and I don't. The only reason I'm not more upset about it is that I get to cycle later and later into the fall!

Cheers!

Spencer

"I prefer to beat my opponents the old-fashioned way....BRUTALLY!!!!"

Originally posted by offramp:

Believe me, Spencer...winter doesn't stop cyclists around here.

If I had a mountain bike, it'd probably wouldn't stop me either. But unfortunately, I've got a road bike equipped with racing slicks...perfect for dry roads - certain suicide on ice and snow :eek: . That, and city streets get clogged with snowbanks very quickly in the downtown area. Thus drivers/ riders have significant less road to share (not that some of them like sharing now :mad: ). If I had a MTB, I'd gravitate towards offroad trails anyways - much more of a "Holy-shit-I'm-gonna-wipe-out-and-die" aspect to it :thu:

....no, I'm not a risk taker at all :D

My girlfriend cringes everytime I mention doing some winter riding. She fears for my safety - isn't that sweet.....

Cheers!

Spencer

Originally posted by offramp:

mountain/road...doesn't matter out here.

We're talking about people who worship Armstrong as their personal Jesus.

OK, that's too hardcore for me (well, since I gave up racing a few years ago, anyways). I appreciate Lance's acheivements as much as the next guy, but that doesn't make me want to rush out and buy a Subaru :D or push the Grim Reaper's buttons by jockeying for postition with 2000 lbs cars on snow-clogged streets traveling @ 25-40 km/h...

Fuck that!!

Although I must admit, I'm anxious to watch this week's episode of "Overhaulin'" on TLC. Sheryl Crow sets up Lance and his GTO!

• 4 weeks later...

No snow here, only a little rain and it's not very cold either... yesterday it was very windy, just like a blizzard but without the snow.

If it get's colder now, the roads will become very slippery.

I hate weather that can't make up it's mind.

http://www.lexam.net/peter/carnut/man.gif

What do we want? Procrastination!

When do we want it? Later!

TOO weird.

I logged on just now to post a little message about how it looks like I may get a white Crimbo after all, and I see that someone's bumped my month-old thread about snow...and it was the top thread.

Yeah...we've been getting some nice, polite snow, going on the second day now. If we can just keep the sun from coming out and keep this front stalled, I may be in luck. :):):)

No such luck for a white Christmas around here. It's supposed to be 11C here, with a shitload of rain. :cry: I'm not very happy about this.

Cheers!

Spencer

I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!I HATE SNOW!!!

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

Archived