Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Tracktion software for free

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Originally posted by Super 8:

What's the catch?

And don't tell me there's no catch.....there's always a catch..

Only catch I can see is you have to give them your email address to get the registration code/license number though they list it on the download page.

They'll probably sell the address to ProTools. :D

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

Cool!

Sonar recognizes but disses my laptop's built in soundcard (trust me, I made sure I set the defaults to 16 bit before trying it) so when my MOTU 828mkII wasn't available (or I was just too lazy to hook it up and get out a proper mic, screen and stand) I've used ACID as multi-track software, which is a bit like opening a can of beans with a saw.

This looks like a far better solution.

Although I have to say my intial encounter was more of a head-scratcher. The 'outer' interface (that's fun to say) is not that intuitable.*

Once I finally figured out where to click to get into the recording interface, everything started feeling much more familiar.

I notice it has the new-grooovy, everything on the right look -- basically with the channel settings on the right where a tool area might be on contemporary software and the track area on the left. Even though that's the inverse of every sequencer I've used since 1992 or so, I think it works for me.

It'll be interesting.

Whoa... I just noticed. The CPU meter is way over just sitting there. Sonar (2) doesn't put anywhere that kind of hit on my machine. Hmm. Well, more later.

*(I'm drawing the line right here and now. You and I may be 'intuitive' but an interface is definitely intuitable. Darn it.)

Thanks for the link, wayne! I gave up my life history and they emaile dthe key in less than 3 minutes!

With Cool Edit/Audition, there is no MIDI interface to speak of. This will give me a way to mix MIDI and Waves.

Another application to figure out... :P

"It's all about the... um-m-m, uh-h-h..."

Originally posted by Super 8:

What's the catch?

And don't tell me there's no catch.....there's always a catch..

I suspect that it is a viral marketing scheme. Rev. 2.0 is probably in the wings and this would expand the base.

It is a clever environment that puts a lot of stuff on the screen. I think that they do it with ..uh, springs.

Tracktion's pretty badass, we've been betaing it for about a year now. there's some issues with certain software, especially at 96k, but once you get used to a different style of GUI design, it's pretty intuitive.

The XD-2 interface, which Tracktion is packaged with retail and called Spike, is killer, what the M-Box should have been right down to the retracktable feet and midi i/o.

Hope this is helpful.

NP Recording Studios

Analog approach to digital recording.

I love Tracktion. It's a really good, straight forward program. I've used the demo a few times, and have been thinking about getting it as a second program, but was torn between that and Cubase SE. So, yes, I'm all for this free version. Hopfully it'll open some of the stuff I made with the demo version, so I can burn versions without that "swoosh" noise. Great stuff! Thanks!

Peace

If at first you don't succeed, keep on sucking 'til you do suck seed!

Originally posted by Anderton:

<>

I use Sonar with my laptop's build in audio. What kind of problems are you having?

Craig

Even with the Sonar defaults set to settings my laptop's built-in interface can handle, there's a message from Sonar to the effect that my selected device is either in use or does not support the selected format (even if its 16/44.1)

But I'll cop that, though I tested it pretty thoroughly, I never contacted CW although I googled their site for refs to my interface's identifier, Sigma Tel Audio, and didn't find anything.

But anyhow I have a MOTU 828 mkII for anything even slightly serious and Sonar and it get along fine, so the introduction of Tracktion into the equation works out great.

I can leave Sonar set up for working on the MOTU (24 bit, a bunch of busses) and use Tracktion for sketchbook type recordings with my cheapo Koss computer mic ($17 at CompUSA, it sounds, uh, well quieter than the mic built into the case).

Thanks, anyhow, Craig. I appreciate the thought.

Originally posted by AudioMaverick:

Thanks for the link, wayne! I gave up my life history and they emaile dthe key in less than 3 minutes!

With Cool Edit/Audition, there is no MIDI interface to speak of. This will give me a way to mix MIDI and Waves.

Another application to figure out... :P

Exactly why I got it. I've got tons of midi equipment and have Opcode's Vision program, but that is so dated.....with Audition 1.5 and Tracktion, I can do both audio and midi a little better.

Don't thank me, thank your friends at Guitar Player, Music Player, and Mackie for this cool little treat.

I've heard rumours about a second version, and it may be a marketing plan, but even still, it's free software, and people who have it like it....

Looking at it last night for a little while, it does look cool, but will take a little time to learn how to use it properly, but it did seem to work really well.

Living' in the shadow,

of someone else's dream....

I've always wanted to try Tracktion and now that I have it it does work very well. The interface is not going to win any beauty contests but it is a nice stripped down effective little app. :) I'm happy to see a very competently rendered DAW is now available for those on the "no" budget budget.

Thanks for the heads up djwayne. See it mentioned so much on KVR and Reason forums. Was really curious to have a look at it. It's kind of cool at first look.

I'm so comfortable and stable with Sonar 3 rewired to Reason 2.5 and GigaStudio 3 along with VSampler 3, I don't know if I'll ever give it a serious look but it's nice to check stuff out. Certainly looks attractive if you're just starting and haven't decided on a rewire host/sequencer.

Funny thing.... I remember asking Craig about a year and a half ago what the heck was rewire and synth workstations like Reason for and now they're the main staple in my DAW.

William F. Turner

Songwriter

turnersongs

Sometimes the truth is rude...

tough shit... get used to it.

I breifly looked at Tracktion a while back, and thought it was cool, but I had other priorities of things to spend my money on. Getting the program for free, makes it easy for me to spend some more time with it, learning the program. I still have lots of bills, and some free time, so the free deal works for me.

It's always nice to get free software that actually works.

Living' in the shadow,

Neil, take a gander at a few others too. Google 'em, I don't have the urls but all have free demos that work and have no time restraints.

Multi Track Studio

Quartz Studio

Quartz Audio Master

Kristal

Audacity is an open source program that works pretty well to.

Some of these listed are going to be more familiar layouts than Tracktion.

All that in mind, Tracktion does work very well and once you start to get used to the format it becomes easier to navigate and get things done.

Our Joint

"When you come slam bang up against trouble, it never looks half as bad if you face up to it." The Duke...

I'm going to try it this weekend. Is it easier to use than Pro Tools Free? Is the project file smaller than Pro Tools' ? I tried to save wear and tear on my HD on my last project, and used a 256 meg SD card instead of the HD, but I ran out of room before I was done, I think because PT keep wav files of tracks that I deleted.

Originally posted by mwestenberg:

Hmmm, won't run on my computer. Can't seem to access my perfectly functional sound card. Does it only work with ASIO drivers? The online help was singularly un-helpful. :(

In the upper left hand corner there is a tab marked, "Settings", go into there and be sure your sound card is enabled. I had to set mine too, takes about two seconds. As with all software, you have to learn a little bit about it.

Living' in the shadow,

I just uninstalled it. First it told me my computer was too slow to listen to the samples. Then I couldn't activate an input and an output device at the same time. Back to Pro Tools Free... and I picked up a 1 gig sd card tonight to record to.

In the upper left hand corner there is a tab marked, "Settings", go into there and be sure your sound card is enabled. I had to set mine too, takes about two seconds. As with all software, you have to learn a little bit about it.
Sorry, DJ, did that in the first 10 seconds; no dice. I basically had the same experience as Jeff. Thanks for the link though. I also am back to PT Free which does work for me.

Lyrics. Wasted space between solos.

I can't tell you, but I can play it for you.

Originally posted by djwayne:

Oh well, I'd do ProTools Free too, but I'm running Windows XP, and PT Free does not work with XP.

Dooooh!! I didn't know that. That's another app I have to add to my list of things that won't work when the day comes that I have to get a new PC. (Cause I won't put an old OS on a new PC).

Okay you guys got me thinking about setting up a second hard drive with Windows ME just so I can use older software programs like Pro Tool Free, and a few others I have. I tried setting up Windows 98, but geeeeez, is that a plain Jane OS compared to XP....couldn't even use Windows Media Player 9, so I installed ME, buggy, buggy, buggy....but at least now I have Pro Tools Free available.

I still have XP installed on my main drive, so now I can tinker around with both sequencing programs.

Living' in the shadow,

Archived